There’s Nothing Wrong With Being A Young, Black Intellectual – Who ONLY Listens To GANGSTA RAP

“Scarface the movie did more than Scarface the rapper to me/
Still that ain’t to blame for all the sh*t that happened to me”

Jay-Z: “Ignorant Sh*t”

But here’s the IMPORTANT thing: NO gangsta rap is responsible, blamable, or culpable for ANYTHING that’s happened to YOU or ANYONE ELSE either.

I am an educated, successful, motivated, intelligent, young, articulate Black man – who just so happens to LOVE hearing ignorant-a*s music about niggas getting a fat gunshot in their b*tch-a*s and hear about h0es getting nuts bust in their grille while she sucks some dude off in the back seat of an old-school chevy – on Dubs. Interestingly enough, there is a growing sentiment within the BLACK community that to like Gangsta Rap or dumbed-down, base-level degenerate Hip-Hop is not only a bad choice of entertainment but is now something that you CAN’T do and still be considered apart of the Black intelligencia – please, take that anti-intellectual, self-aggrandizing, sanctimonious BULLSH*T right the hell up out of my face.

Earlier this month Ashley Judd’s over-generalizing a*s stated:

“As far as I’m concerned, most Rap and Hip Hop music–with its rape culture and insanely abusive lyrics and depictions of girls and women as ‘ho’s’–is the contemporary soundtrack of misogyny. I believe that the social construction of gender–the cultural beliefs and practices that divide the sexes and institutionalize and normalize the unequal treatment of girls and women, privilege the interest of boys and men, and, most nefariously, incessantly sexualize girls and women–is the root cause of poverty and suffering around the world.”

ANY person who would defend that statement or even BEGIN to say that there is ANYTHING larger than a rice grain of truth in what she said should go F*^K themselves -especially if you are a HIP-HOP Head. The reason I never wrote a blog about it after I initially heard it is, is because of how ridiculously STUPID it is – and I don’t even want to waste any server space giving it more attention than I already just did. The people I want to focus my attention on, are ALL the HOUSE-NIGGERS who ran away from their LOVE of this “Rape culture music” because they were too scared to engage the Ashley Judd’s of the world in an intellectual debate. These soft-a*s niggas decided to treat their Young Jeezy, Lil’ Wayne and N.W.A. albums like the one-night stand who looks like Biz Markie that you see in the streets one day that you never called back: Act like you never even MET their a*s.

My problem is that these negroes attempted to sidestep her argument by saying “I disagree because you have artists like Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Common and groups like The Roots & Little Brother who aren’t on that sh*t” which is a WACK argument, because you essentially are buying into her MAIN point that the music IS the problem, just not to the extent that she stated. Besides the fact that you SOLD OUT your own music [and don’t get it confused, if you claim to like Jay-Z, Biggie, Nas and/or 2pac, you DID sell out by agreeing with her] the WORST part of it all, is that many of the people who LOVE Hip-Hop and agreed with Judd on various blogs and other forms of media, were eloquent and intelligent enough to act as self-evident PROOF that the music itself did NOT deprive them of their education, or make them delve into a world of crime and rape.

The reality of the situation is simply this: There are many forms of entertainment in the world and we ALL chose to be entertained in a roster of different ways, but that specific form of entertainment that appeals to us in NO way defines us as a person, NOR does it overtly contribute to why BAD people do the things they do, or why society as a whole is where it is. It is FANTASY, just like movies, TV shows, comic books and other genres of music, so why in the HELL would you co-sign the IGNORANT ideology that Hip-Hop [which isn’t even a predominant genre of music in the world] is culpable for all the bad things in the world?

We can agree that ALL rap doesn’t HELP the world, but to label a music that was invented less than 40 years ago as the soundtrack to misogyny is the height of HILARITY. It starts to become LESS funny and actually very SAD when you realize that supposed RAP fans are the ones who are trying to give Judd’s BS the most momentum by compartmentalizing the music and labelling those of us who enjoy hardcore hip-hop as the “ignorant uneducated niggas” because you then frame the debate in a Willie Lynch like “us vs. them” discourse which is STUPID as hell. You deserve a falcon punch in your chest if your response to Ashley Judd’s fired shots was to sidestep them by labelling yourself a connoisseur of only underground “safe” hip-hop and then pushing the rest of us right into her bullet because we listen to Ace Hood and Waka Flocka.

My advice? Like Kevin Hart said in 40-Year Old Virgin “Stop being a negro, and be my nigga” and next time you get in your nice car that you bought from working a respectable career that you got by achieving a high grade point average at your highly accredited College or University, make sure you turn on some Gucci Mane and scream “BRICKS…OFF WHITE BRICKS!” And let people know that the music is your ENTERTAINMENT and not a personal MANTRA or MISSION STATEMENT for how you choose to live.

04/27/2011 at 6:41 AM

So What Are Your Opinions Ladies And Gentlemen? Do You Agree That Rap Should Be More Culpable For Society's Problems? Or Is Hip-Hop Being Used As A Scapegoat?

2. Malik

04/27/2011 at 7:23 AM

1. Gangsta Rap doesn't have to equal 'ignorant' rap. Only Built 4 Cuban Linx… being the obvious example.
    2. And an example of hip hop helping the world would be the documentary Sling Shot Hip Hop which is about a group of young Palestinians living in Gaza, the West Bank and inside Israel as they discover Hip Hop and employ it as a tool to surmount divisions imposed by occupation and poverty. http://www.slingshothiphop.com/

I know you say it 'all' doesn't have to help, but the movie is worth a watch.

3. Alex of Liveagl.com

04/27/2011 at 7:50 AM

I'm a young, black, intellectual (all that stuff you said)..and I like some Rick Ross to get myself going.. but if you think negative hip hop doesn't perpetuate a negative image of black people.. you're being Naive.. Entertainment or not… I don't mind a few thug raps here and there, but if the majority of music acts coming out, repetitively talk about stereotypes that others already see us as.. it's not painting the greatest picture…

4. Jason Howe

04/27/2011 at 7:59 AM

I don’t know how I feel on the subject; I go back and forth depending on mode. However, I think a lot of other things are the blame for some of the societal woes we face (literacy rates, employment rates, teenage pregnancy, or just fucked up parenting). Yes hip-hop is a means of entertainment, however it is the only form of entertainment, which preaches that it is a way of life, or a culture. I grew up with a heavy dosage of Schwarzenegger and Stallone blowing shit up for 1.5 hours a movie; however, none of them attempted to drill in to my conscience “this is how we live my nigger, all day everyday”. I have never let any of it influence me outside of some slang or fashion; however, considering I see many kids trying to emulate the lifestyle directly I would say it does have to take SOME of the responsibility. BUT…. no, there is nothing wrong with listening to "Gangsta Rap", I do it daily and I have never had the urge to kill a nigga, sell crack or slap a hoe!!!

5. MadScientist7

04/27/2011 at 11:46 AM

i don't see anything wrong with listening to gansta rap. i work in a lab all day and i listen to gucci mane. i have just about all his mixtapes and albums. dude is funny to me. i don't listen to him for lyrical content at all. on the other hand i can only take but so much coonery. my favorite rappers: jay, nas, j cole, talib, wale and lupe get constant burn.

i also balance it out with alternative artists like travie mccoy and kid cudi. you also have to get some r&b in there somewhere. lol where's the love?

6. moi:)

04/27/2011 at 12:24 PM

I agree totally with what Jason Howe is saying…but the difference between you and the youths now….our parents probably made sure we knew it was only music, and if we acted outta character…they woulda show'd us who really is gangster!!! Now a days, these youths have no structure and only rely on whats being presented to them daily!!!

7. ATLienSince82

04/27/2011 at 1:07 PM

Yawl boys is late on this one…we been tellin yawl this from down south since 19-how-long…

Just because we like to dance to dudes talkin bout candy painted chevy's and riding rims and making females drop it to the flo' doesn't mean we are less educated or intellectual than yawl…we party to the BS that these rappers talk bout then get up in the morning and raise our kids and go to work same as yawl..

The people who listen to real ghetto music and act real ghetto are just ghetto people…they would be like that with or without Gucci's lyrics..

8. Angeli Michelle

04/27/2011 at 1:31 PM

Oh great. Intellect measured by the type of music you listen to.

As an intellectual Black female I reserve the right to listen to whatever crap I want to. And I know it's crap because I'm intelligent to know not to condone the negative activities rapped about.

I'm also intelligent to know not to re-enact the illegal activities.

9. MzDebbieFields

04/27/2011 at 1:33 PM

I don't listen to what would be considered a lot of hip-hop but I do agree with Ashley Judd that the music disrespects women a lot…I think more black women should support what she is saying

10. Jason Howe

04/27/2011 at 1:50 PM

AGAM, I feel you, however as I touched on, HIP HOP screams "this is our way of life, our culture". Not many artist if any are going on stage saying "I speak about selling coke, but I'm fucking with ya I never sold a damn thing but my copy of Call of Duty One on Craigs List!" But your point of being intellectual is dead on, I do not believe my level of intellect has suffered as a result of listening to some Fat Boys as a child.

11. Crystal Promo-Fernandez

04/27/2011 at 1:57 PM

I agree with this article in principle, but we can't ignore the fact that there are a portion of black society that attempts to emulate what they are hearing and when they hear women being called hoes and bitches and dudes talking about how great it is to shoot people, they will take those words and go out and act on them

12. Crystal Promo-Fernandez

04/27/2011 at 2:18 PM

Exactly my point too that's why I want to agree with this article, but there is another side we need to recognize too

13. Drgray91

04/27/2011 at 3:42 PM

My music interest vary with my mood so I don't only listen to "gangsta rap", but every now and again some part of my suburban soul cries out for a some Boosie.
    But I'm hesitant to tell folk that, to many people assume that music is my life mantra, like Linc said [EXCELLENT POINT BTW] and frankly I don't have time to defend my choices of entertainment.

Should it be to blame for misguided youth? No. If there is no one to help a young impressionable mind discern fantasy from reality then what did you think would happen? Some little ones will read a fairy tale book and decide they will be princes and princesses. A good parent will keep their kid with a healthy imagination but they won't fuel foolishness for too long. Should it be held responsible for societies woes? No. Music is a POWERFUL medium, whatever genre, but even so music can only be given as much power as the mind will have it.

14. Independent Woman

04/27/2011 at 4:16 PM

Psychological media influence and consumption has never been this intense at any other period in history. Our kids are literally under media and corporate ATTACK on a daily basis without even knowing it and they are responding to these ads exactly how these corporations want them to.

Hip-hop is not just selling a music anymore, it's selling an entire LIFESTYLE. And these kids are trying desperately to buy into it.

15. The_Mad_HATER

04/27/2011 at 4:29 PM

what are you even talking about??? what is intellectual about romantic comedies at the movies?? whats intellectual about football or soap operas???

16. Bruhman On 3rd Flo

04/27/2011 at 6:25 PM

It's corny as hell to blame rap for all of life's problems when it's just music, but I think we are getting off the main point that we should be talking about. What's up with you people calling yourselves fans of rap and then selling out the music. What part of the game is that?

04/27/2011 at 7:12 PM

Quick comment from my BB:

While no genre of music has single-handedly caused destroyed society.
    However when I cringe at someone blasting Too Short Freaky Tales at a stoplight while an elderly woman is held captive at the bus stop.
    there’s a time and place for everything like there’s a time and place to defend hiphop. I don’t know if we should it prefusely or take a real good look at ourselves and ask the tough questions.

However if u think the music doesn’t have influence look at how many “blood” gangs are in your hood that were crip cars in 2000 or how many young kids think they’re Big Meech or how many ppl think buying bottle service and being “up in VIP” is cool.

I want to address something in your article but I’ll wait till I get home

18. panamaenrique

04/27/2011 at 10:03 PM

I'm pretty sure Frank Lucas and Guy Fisher (anyone part of The Council) predated gangsta rap. It's not an issue of 'the chicken or the egg'. Regardless of if the music existed there would have been violence, drug dealing, and misogyny. Hell New Orleans was ratchet back when Louis Armstrong was singing 'It's a Wonderful World'. It was called 'THE BATTLEFIELD' when he was kid.

04/27/2011 at 11:29 PM

I get it. The type of music someone listens to shouldn't be an indicator of their intelligence level or their productiveness in society. Sheit's been bad before hip hop.

But its hard to believe you after you wrote this article:

You yourself put us right under the bullet(and rightfully so). There has to be an acknowledgment that this behavior is degrading OUR society, maybe not the one Judd lives in but definitely the society Ray Ray and Niqo lives in.

Also you mention Hip hop heads sellout when they separate themselves by tastes of music but this is essentially the same as "intelligent" blacks calling other black people who do so called embarrassing things as "naggers" which you are guilty of:

Quote: "I find it hilarious that many of us make concerted efforts to avoid going to places that appear to be too “niggerish” or have a “niggerocity” scale that is screaming off the charts, yet we somehow believe that even though WE recognize the difference between Black people and Niggers, it is essentially RACIST for anyone else to notice it."

I don't consider you a sellout at all, however, I personally would like to see you throw another hip hop head under the bus than another "nigger"(I hate that word!)

Thoughts Linc?

20. Christina White

04/28/2011 at 3:02 AM

I always think about Hank's cuzzin ass genius sons in Me, Myself, & Irene when justifying my acquired hoodrat audibles. My ratchet iTunes library makes me no less ofa Queen.

21. Adrian

05/02/2011 at 7:19 AM

Music, especially Hip Hop, is highly influential. I've witnessed first hand how music can change an entire community. As soon as BET was included in the basic cable package of my area, I saw everybody around me gradually change into wannabe-thugs.
    I'm not here to put down anybody's taste in music, but for me, much of current hip-hop (especially the mainstream variety) lacks the mental stimulation I desire. Hell, the lyrics don't always have to be thought provoking but at least have a creative, artisitic component to the sound outside of pressing the same two keys on the keyboard in a redundant rhythm. That's just me though, I'm very inquisitive and always looking to expand my mind. I don't necessarily need eloquent philosophical teachings from a scholar, I'm just looking for a unique experience. I always require more of any form of media presented to me, which is why I lose interest in Wacka Flocka's music and fall asleep shortly after the first five minutes of Dude Where's My Car.

22. Sha

05/12/2011 at 6:32 PM

Im not sure if anyone said this already (there are way too many comments to check ). But how does even rapping about guns , drugs and ho's become the cause of poverty when the culture was created out of poverty which was a product of institutionalized racism and capitalism. I am pre-med , I major in Biochemistry and I sure as hell will bump some Gucci or vybz kartel till the day I die and I will never pick up a gun or bleach my skin. People pick up guns because they either live in a atmosphere where it makes them feel more secure or they just really have an affinity to guns . People rape people because they have a strong affinity to sex or they just like the feeling of raping someone. Ladies become hoes because they either love the attention or they love being a hoe. If anyone ever justified their lifestyle as a by-product of a rap song they heard Im pretty sure they are not rational enough to speak for a whole culture!

23. Blair

07/11/2014 at 1:01 AM

At this time I am ready to do my breakfast, when having my breakfast coming again to read further news.

Feel free to surf to my webpage; webpage
    (Blair)

24. Brittany

08/17/2014 at 3:17 PM

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an really long comment but after I clicked
    submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Regardless,
    just wanted to say wonderful blog!

Here is my web-site: webpage (Brittany)