There’s Nothing Wrong With Being A Young, Black Intellectual – Who ONLY Listens To GANGSTA RAP

“Scarface the movie did more than Scarface the rapper to me/
Still that ain’t to blame for all the sh*t that happened to me”

Jay-Z: “Ignorant Sh*t”

But here’s the IMPORTANT thing: NO gangsta rap is responsible, blamable, or culpable for ANYTHING that’s happened to YOU or ANYONE ELSE either.

I am an educated, successful, motivated, intelligent, young, articulate Black man - who just so happens to LOVE hearing ignorant-a*s music about niggas getting a fat gunshot in their b*tch-a*s and hear about h0es getting nuts bust in their grille while she sucks some dude off in the back seat of an old-school chevy – on Dubs. Interestingly enough, there is a growing sentiment within the BLACK community that to like Gangsta Rap or dumbed-down, base-level degenerate Hip-Hop is not only a bad choice of entertainment but is now something that you CAN’T do and still be considered apart of the Black intelligencia – please, take that anti-intellectual, self-aggrandizing, sanctimonious BULLSH*T right the hell up out of my face.

Earlier this month Ashley Judd’s over-generalizing a*s stated:

“As far as I’m concerned, most Rap and Hip Hop music–with its rape culture and insanely abusive lyrics and depictions of girls and women as ‘ho’s’–is the contemporary soundtrack of misogyny. I believe that the social construction of gender–the cultural beliefs and practices that divide the sexes and institutionalize and normalize the unequal treatment of girls and women, privilege the interest of boys and men, and, most nefariously, incessantly sexualize girls and women–is the root cause of poverty and suffering around the world.”

ANY person who would defend that statement or even BEGIN to say that there is ANYTHING larger than a rice grain of truth in what she said should go F*^K themselves -especially if you are a HIP-HOP Head. The reason I never wrote a blog about it after I initially heard it is, is because of how ridiculously STUPID it is – and I don’t even want to waste any server space giving it more attention than I already just did. The people I want to focus my attention on, are ALL the HOUSE-NIGGERS who ran away from their LOVE of this “Rape culture music” because they were too scared to engage the Ashley Judd’s of the world in an intellectual debate. These soft-a*s niggas decided to treat their Young Jeezy, Lil’ Wayne and N.W.A. albums like the one-night stand who looks like Biz Markie that you see in the streets one day that you never called back: Act like you never even MET their a*s.

My problem is that these negroes attempted to sidestep her argument by saying “I disagree because you have artists like Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Common and groups like The Roots & Little Brother who aren’t on that sh*t” which is a WACK argument, because you essentially are buying into her MAIN point that the music IS the problem, just not to the extent that she stated. Besides the fact that you SOLD OUT your own music [and don’t get it confused, if you claim to like Jay-Z, Biggie, Nas and/or 2pac, you DID sell out by agreeing with her] the WORST part of it all, is that many of the people who LOVE Hip-Hop and agreed with Judd on various blogs and other forms of media, were eloquent and intelligent enough to act as self-evident PROOF that the music itself did NOT deprive them of their education, or make them delve into a world of crime and rape.

The reality of the situation is simply this: There are many forms of entertainment in the world and we ALL chose to be entertained in a roster of different ways, but that specific form of entertainment that appeals to us in NO way defines us as a person, NOR does it overtly contribute to why BAD people do the things they do, or why society as a whole is where it is. It is FANTASY, just like movies, TV shows, comic books and other genres of music, so why in the HELL would you co-sign the IGNORANT ideology that Hip-Hop [which isn’t even a predominant genre of music in the world] is culpable for all the bad things in the world?

We can agree that ALL rap doesn’t HELP the world, but to label a music that was invented less than 40 years ago as the soundtrack to misogyny is the height of HILARITY. It starts to become LESS funny and actually very SAD when you realize that supposed RAP fans are the ones who are trying to give Judd’s BS the most momentum by compartmentalizing the music and labelling those of us who enjoy hardcore hip-hop as the “ignorant uneducated niggas” because you then frame the debate in a Willie Lynch like “us vs. them” discourse which is STUPID as hell. You deserve a falcon punch in your chest if your response to Ashley Judd’s fired shots was to sidestep them by labelling yourself a connoisseur of only underground “safe” hip-hop and then pushing the rest of us right into her bullet because we listen to Ace Hood and Waka Flocka.

My advice? Like Kevin Hart said in 40-Year Old Virgin “Stop being a negro, and be my nigga” and next time you get in your nice car that you bought from working a respectable career that you got by achieving a high grade point average at your highly accredited College or University, make sure you turn on some Gucci Mane and scream “BRICKS…OFF WHITE BRICKS!” And let people know that the music is your ENTERTAINMENT and not a personal MANTRA or MISSION STATEMENT for how you choose to live.

04/27/2011 at 6:41 AM

So What Are Your Opinions Ladies And Gentlemen? Do You Agree That Rap Should Be More Culpable For Society's Problems? Or Is Hip-Hop Being Used As A Scapegoat?

• Independent Woman

04/27/2011 at 4:02 PM

Rap is most definitely culpable and Ashley Judd's comments were right on point yet taken out of context by ignorant rap fans who want to accuse her of being racist.

What they fail to understand is that black women have been saying the same thing since C. Dolores Tucker twenty years ago.

• The_Mad_HATER

04/27/2011 at 4:24 PM

c dolores tucker can kill herself and go to hell with her sorry ass! ashley judd tryin to talk about 90% of hip hop when she hasnt even heard 10% of is stupid as hell!!

• MistaHarsh

04/27/2011 at 11:28 PM

I get it. The type of music someone listens to shouldn't be an indicator of their intelligence level or their productiveness in society. Sheit's been bad before hip hop.

But its hard to believe you after you wrote this article:

You yourself put us right under the bullet(and rightfully so). There has to be an acknowledgment that this behavior is degrading OUR society, maybe not the one Judd lives in but definitely the society Ray Ray and Niqo lives in.

Also you mention Hip hop heads sellout when they separate themselves by tastes of music but this is essentially the same as "intelligent" blacks calling other black people who do so called embarrassing things as "naggers" which you are guilty of:

Quote: "I find it hilarious that many of us make concerted efforts to avoid going to places that appear to be too “niggerish” or have a “niggerocity” scale that is screaming off the charts, yet we somehow believe that even though WE recognize the difference between Black people and Niggers, it is essentially RACIST for anyone else to notice it."

I don't consider you a sellout at all, however, I personally would like to see you throw another hip hop head under the bus than another "nigger"(I hate that word!)

Thoughts Linc?

04/28/2011 at 4:05 AM

I Believe We DO Acknowledge The Fact That Rap Music Doesn't HELP Our Community And Can Further Damage The Already Damaged, But Like I Wrote In The First Article, I DO Rock To Gucci Mane's BRICKS Fully Aware Of What I'm Doing And What I'm Listening To..

In The Second Piece, My Contention Is That My Skin Colour Doesn't Intrinsically Bind Me To Every Other Black Person In The World…CHOOSING To Be A Hip-Hop Head Is Slightly Different Than Having Race FORCED Upon You..

2. Malik

04/27/2011 at 7:23 AM

1. Gangsta Rap doesn't have to equal 'ignorant' rap. Only Built 4 Cuban Linx… being the obvious example.
    2. And an example of hip hop helping the world would be the documentary Sling Shot Hip Hop which is about a group of young Palestinians living in Gaza, the West Bank and inside Israel as they discover Hip Hop and employ it as a tool to surmount divisions imposed by occupation and poverty. http://www.slingshothiphop.com/

I know you say it 'all' doesn't have to help, but the movie is worth a watch.

• Crystal Promo-Fernandez

04/27/2011 at 1:59 PM

I'm sorry but I disagree with the wu-tang point…that is ignorant as hell wrapped in big words that a lot of use can't understand and chinese movies

• panamaenrique

04/27/2011 at 2:13 PM

Patently false dear. There's not enough room in the comment section for me to even begin to elaborate on it.

• Independent Woman

04/27/2011 at 4:04 PM

If gangsta rap is talking about disrespecting women, labeling them whores, bitches and hoes then yes it is VERY ignorant.

Hip-hop as a culture has the ability to help and no one is disputing that, but let's be honest and admit that hip-hop in it's current, marketable format is HORRIBLE towards women.

• Hope Crichlow

05/11/2011 at 11:47 AM

Why does it matter if you higher standards for yourself? Everyone leads their own lives. I listen to Jay-Z, Common, Kartel, and Mavado. The rappers in France saying the same thing as the rappers everywhere else in the world and they all can get me to shake my ass to it, but let a man try to actually come at me with that sort of disrespect. I am not one of those females in those songs. You really think Serena would've given Common any forward if he stepped to her talking about "yo ma why don't you get up on this conscious dick?" or Jay-Z told Beyonce he was just about the big pimpin'? No. Men (I don't care how ghetto they might be) know the difference between the girls in the songs and the women they want to wife up. You have to know what kind of woman you are and what you're worth.

Hip Hop is a type of art just like all other music. Either you like it or you don't. Some people like the Mona Lisa, personally I think it's a waste of space. Everything isn't for everyone. Get over it.

• Ziarre

08/11/2014 at 11:51 PM

I cannot tell a lie, that really heedlp.

3. Alex of Liveagl.com

04/27/2011 at 7:50 AM

I'm a young, black, intellectual (all that stuff you said)..and I like some Rick Ross to get myself going.. but if you think negative hip hop doesn't perpetuate a negative image of black people.. you're being Naive.. Entertainment or not… I don't mind a few thug raps here and there, but if the majority of music acts coming out, repetitively talk about stereotypes that others already see us as.. it's not painting the greatest picture…

• Independent Woman

04/27/2011 at 4:06 PM

Yes and hip-hop needs to embrace the bullshit depictions of men and women as something that needs to be changed not encouraged! We have too many coons and not enough strong black men who can at least make a song without tearing down the essence of black women worldwide.

• The_Mad_HATER

04/27/2011 at 4:26 PM

so you sayin people had a positive image of black people before hip hop came around?? i dont support that perpetuating images thing because i dont care if rappers were all positive people nobody should be using recording artists as the basis for coming to an opinion about an entire race!!

4. Jason Howe

04/27/2011 at 7:59 AM

I don’t know how I feel on the subject; I go back and forth depending on mode. However, I think a lot of other things are the blame for some of the societal woes we face (literacy rates, employment rates, teenage pregnancy, or just fucked up parenting). Yes hip-hop is a means of entertainment, however it is the only form of entertainment, which preaches that it is a way of life, or a culture. I grew up with a heavy dosage of Schwarzenegger and Stallone blowing shit up for 1.5 hours a movie; however, none of them attempted to drill in to my conscience “this is how we live my nigger, all day everyday”. I have never let any of it influence me outside of some slang or fashion; however, considering I see many kids trying to emulate the lifestyle directly I would say it does have to take SOME of the responsibility. BUT…. no, there is nothing wrong with listening to "Gangsta Rap", I do it daily and I have never had the urge to kill a nigga, sell crack or slap a hoe!!!

• Jason Howe

04/27/2011 at 9:25 AM

depending on mood*

• Independent Woman

04/27/2011 at 4:12 PM

Correct. But let's understand that there is a sector of society who believes it's cool to aspire to these fake entertainment images in real life and try to do so by living illegal, disrespecting women and acting coonish.

• The_Mad_HATER

04/27/2011 at 4:28 PM

but whats stupid is that rappers live differently than their on screen personas! jay-z and sean carter are two completely different people and we all see that so if some half retarded kid cant make that difference in his mind then he is just a lost cause anyways!!

5. MadScientist7

04/27/2011 at 11:46 AM

i don't see anything wrong with listening to gansta rap. i work in a lab all day and i listen to gucci mane. i have just about all his mixtapes and albums. dude is funny to me. i don't listen to him for lyrical content at all. on the other hand i can only take but so much coonery. my favorite rappers: jay, nas, j cole, talib, wale and lupe get constant burn.

i also balance it out with alternative artists like travie mccoy and kid cudi. you also have to get some r&b in there somewhere. lol where's the love?

• Independent Woman

04/27/2011 at 4:14 PM

Your favorite rappers are good now, but all back in the days were guilty of much of the same cooning that you talk about. Jay & Nas and their stupid mafioso swag in the 90's made me sick!

6. moi:)

04/27/2011 at 12:24 PM

I agree totally with what Jason Howe is saying…but the difference between you and the youths now….our parents probably made sure we knew it was only music, and if we acted outta character…they woulda show'd us who really is gangster!!! Now a days, these youths have no structure and only rely on whats being presented to them daily!!!

• A Grown Ass Man

04/27/2011 at 12:47 PM

I don't understand the point you're trying to make. Are you arguing that kids nowadays are more prone to acting out what the see in music videos and hear on the radio?

7. ATLienSince82

04/27/2011 at 1:07 PM

Yawl boys is late on this one…we been tellin yawl this from down south since 19-how-long…

Just because we like to dance to dudes talkin bout candy painted chevy's and riding rims and making females drop it to the flo' doesn't mean we are less educated or intellectual than yawl…we party to the BS that these rappers talk bout then get up in the morning and raise our kids and go to work same as yawl..

The people who listen to real ghetto music and act real ghetto are just ghetto people…they would be like that with or without Gucci's lyrics..

• Jason Howe

04/27/2011 at 1:48 PM

I feel you, I am in the same boat… but you cannot deny some see this shit and want to attain to the levels depicted in the videos/songs. Let's look at it this way, when that Cobain dude offed himself there were reports of an increase in teen suicides, would all have killed themselves if he would not have glorified the act? So yes, crime existed before Hip Hop, but it has since its birth romanticized the ghetto life style. HIP HOP has a voice we cannot deny, we got kids in Johannesburg to Harlem trying to live the hip hop lifestyle.

8. Angeli Michelle

04/27/2011 at 1:31 PM

Oh great. Intellect measured by the type of music you listen to.

As an intellectual Black female I reserve the right to listen to whatever crap I want to. And I know it's crap because I'm intelligent to know not to condone the negative activities rapped about.

I'm also intelligent to know not to re-enact the illegal activities.

9. MzDebbieFields

04/27/2011 at 1:33 PM

I don't listen to what would be considered a lot of hip-hop but I do agree with Ashley Judd that the music disrespects women a lot…I think more black women should support what she is saying

• Independent Woman

04/27/2011 at 4:18 PM

It must be raining cats and dogs because we actually agree on something.

SMH

10. Jason Howe

04/27/2011 at 1:50 PM

AGAM, I feel you, however as I touched on, HIP HOP screams "this is our way of life, our culture". Not many artist if any are going on stage saying "I speak about selling coke, but I'm fucking with ya I never sold a damn thing but my copy of Call of Duty One on Craigs List!" But your point of being intellectual is dead on, I do not believe my level of intellect has suffered as a result of listening to some Fat Boys as a child.

11. Crystal Promo-Fernandez

04/27/2011 at 1:57 PM

I agree with this article in principle, but we can't ignore the fact that there are a portion of black society that attempts to emulate what they are hearing and when they hear women being called hoes and bitches and dudes talking about how great it is to shoot people, they will take those words and go out and act on them

12. Crystal Promo-Fernandez

04/27/2011 at 2:18 PM

Exactly my point too that's why I want to agree with this article, but there is another side we need to recognize too

• The_Mad_HATER

04/27/2011 at 4:30 PM

natural selection says they deserve to die or go to jail anyways because they are stupid as hell!! you gonna go buy a gun because method man rapped about having one in a song?? idiot!

13. Drgray91

04/27/2011 at 3:42 PM

My music interest vary with my mood so I don't only listen to "gangsta rap", but every now and again some part of my suburban soul cries out for a some Boosie.
    But I'm hesitant to tell folk that, to many people assume that music is my life mantra, like Linc said [EXCELLENT POINT BTW] and frankly I don't have time to defend my choices of entertainment.

Should it be to blame for misguided youth? No. If there is no one to help a young impressionable mind discern fantasy from reality then what did you think would happen? Some little ones will read a fairy tale book and decide they will be princes and princesses. A good parent will keep their kid with a healthy imagination but they won't fuel foolishness for too long. Should it be held responsible for societies woes? No. Music is a POWERFUL medium, whatever genre, but even so music can only be given as much power as the mind will have it.

• The_Mad_HATER

04/27/2011 at 4:39 PM

tell em!!

04/28/2011 at 4:05 AM

Co-Sign

14. Independent Woman

04/27/2011 at 4:16 PM

Psychological media influence and consumption has never been this intense at any other period in history. Our kids are literally under media and corporate ATTACK on a daily basis without even knowing it and they are responding to these ads exactly how these corporations want them to.

Hip-hop is not just selling a music anymore, it's selling an entire LIFESTYLE. And these kids are trying desperately to buy into it.

15. The_Mad_HATER

04/27/2011 at 4:29 PM

what are you even talking about??? what is intellectual about romantic comedies at the movies?? whats intellectual about football or soap operas???

16. Bruhman On 3rd Flo

04/27/2011 at 6:25 PM

It's corny as hell to blame rap for all of life's problems when it's just music, but I think we are getting off the main point that we should be talking about. What's up with you people calling yourselves fans of rap and then selling out the music. What part of the game is that?

04/27/2011 at 7:12 PM

Quick comment from my BB:

While no genre of music has single-handedly caused destroyed society.
    However when I cringe at someone blasting Too Short Freaky Tales at a stoplight while an elderly woman is held captive at the bus stop.
    there’s a time and place for everything like there’s a time and place to defend hiphop. I don’t know if we should it prefusely or take a real good look at ourselves and ask the tough questions.

However if u think the music doesn’t have influence look at how many “blood” gangs are in your hood that were crip cars in 2000 or how many young kids think they’re Big Meech or how many ppl think buying bottle service and being “up in VIP” is cool.

I want to address something in your article but I’ll wait till I get home

• Bruhman On 3rd Flo

04/27/2011 at 8:30 PM

But weren't them things all around before hip hop though..I got family from Oakland and they tell me that place was dangerous in the 70's and people were dying everyday although the music at the time was Al Green and Marvin Gaye..

• MistaHarsh

04/27/2011 at 10:48 PM

no one is disputing the fact that violence has occurred prior to hiphop but if you think lil wayne cannot recruit teens into fake blood members than Jesse Jackson can influence teens to attend college you're mistaken.

You have everyone drunk on patron instead of captain morgan's. Ciroc is selling, rappers selling enhancement pills don't you think there's an influence here? Why else is Steve Stoute able to have a successful company like Translation if Rappers had no influence?

Its a shame we don't support positivity as much or that the media doesn't televise it.

18. panamaenrique

04/27/2011 at 10:03 PM

I'm pretty sure Frank Lucas and Guy Fisher (anyone part of The Council) predated gangsta rap. It's not an issue of 'the chicken or the egg'. Regardless of if the music existed there would have been violence, drug dealing, and misogyny. Hell New Orleans was ratchet back when Louis Armstrong was singing 'It's a Wonderful World'. It was called 'THE BATTLEFIELD' when he was kid.

• MistaHarsh

04/27/2011 at 11:03 PM

of course. However are you stating that you cannot see how rappers for hire to sell death/destruction/misogamy/crab-in-the-barell economics and the media's overly concentrated spotlight of this behavior is a negative influence?

FYI I'm a hip hop head to the fullest and my preference for it doesn't sum me up as a person. I'm more than just what I listen too, but I am able to step outside myself and see what hip hop has played a part in good and bad.

• panamaenrique

04/27/2011 at 11:10 PM

Which media are you referring to? Because when it comes to mainstream awards like the Grammy's, record sales, billboard hits, 'hottest rappers' etc., gangster rap hasn't been prominent since 50 fell off. Is a decent percentage of the spotlight negative influence? yes, but it's non-existent when considering the actual problems. All forms of negative rap could stop existing tonight and the conditions wouldn't change.

• MistaHarsh

04/27/2011 at 11:56 PM

any media an agenda i.e. Fox news or whenever a myspace rapper gets shot the headline is "inspiring rapper" or "Gangster Rapper" like that was really dude's profession. When JFK jr died they didn't say "ill-advised Pilot Crashed" did they.

All rappers promote their "gang" affiliations even rnb singers. The record sales may not be their but the exposure has soared and the exposure sets the influence not the sales.

You're right conditions wouldn't change as a direct result. I believe however the obstacles and distractions would disappear which would give us the focus to change our conditions.

04/27/2011 at 11:29 PM

But its hard to believe you after you wrote this article:

Thoughts Linc?

20. Christina White

04/28/2011 at 3:02 AM

I always think about Hank's cuzzin ass genius sons in Me, Myself, & Irene when justifying my acquired hoodrat audibles. My ratchet iTunes library makes me no less ofa Queen.

04/28/2011 at 4:07 AM

Funniest. Movie. EVER.

Hilarious!

21. Adrian

05/02/2011 at 7:19 AM

Music, especially Hip Hop, is highly influential. I've witnessed first hand how music can change an entire community. As soon as BET was included in the basic cable package of my area, I saw everybody around me gradually change into wannabe-thugs.
    I'm not here to put down anybody's taste in music, but for me, much of current hip-hop (especially the mainstream variety) lacks the mental stimulation I desire. Hell, the lyrics don't always have to be thought provoking but at least have a creative, artisitic component to the sound outside of pressing the same two keys on the keyboard in a redundant rhythm. That's just me though, I'm very inquisitive and always looking to expand my mind. I don't necessarily need eloquent philosophical teachings from a scholar, I'm just looking for a unique experience. I always require more of any form of media presented to me, which is why I lose interest in Wacka Flocka's music and fall asleep shortly after the first five minutes of Dude Where's My Car.

22. Sha

05/12/2011 at 6:32 PM

Im not sure if anyone said this already (there are way too many comments to check ). But how does even rapping about guns , drugs and ho's become the cause of poverty when the culture was created out of poverty which was a product of institutionalized racism and capitalism. I am pre-med , I major in Biochemistry and I sure as hell will bump some Gucci or vybz kartel till the day I die and I will never pick up a gun or bleach my skin. People pick up guns because they either live in a atmosphere where it makes them feel more secure or they just really have an affinity to guns . People rape people because they have a strong affinity to sex or they just like the feeling of raping someone. Ladies become hoes because they either love the attention or they love being a hoe. If anyone ever justified their lifestyle as a by-product of a rap song they heard Im pretty sure they are not rational enough to speak for a whole culture!

23. Blair

07/11/2014 at 1:01 AM

At this time I am ready to do my breakfast, when having my breakfast coming again to read further news.

Feel free to surf to my webpage; webpage
    (Blair)

24. Brittany

08/17/2014 at 3:17 PM

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an really long comment but after I clicked
    submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Regardless,
    just wanted to say wonderful blog!

Here is my web-site: webpage (Brittany)