The Ugly, Dark Skin Black Girl Compromise

I’m pretty confident that we ALL have heard the highly ignorant phrase “she’s pretty – for a DARK SKIN girl” but what we haven’t investigated enough is what lingers on the OTHER side of that comment and where it’s ugly roots come from. The Black Community has been wrestling with our own dirty, ugly, little secret since slavery, when we were TAUGHT to rate and hate each other heavily dependent on each others skin colour: In order for us to accept dating the darker skinned sistas in our race, we would have to inherently agree to The Ugly, Dark Skin Black Girl Compromise which states that Dark-skin women CAN be dated – as long as you are willing to compromise your superficial tastes in physical attractiveness.

As you may or may not know, there is a new documentary that will be premiering in the Fall/Winter of 2011 called Dark Girls and here is the trailer:

For me, the most powerful and moving parts of this preview were how race affects the ideologies of young Black children, but what REALLY pissed me off, is that Documentaries like this, art exhibits like this, magazine articles and blogs like this all help to PUSH The Ugly, Dark Skin Black Girl Compromise as it relates to dating by continually [and possibly sub-consciously] canonizing less than attractive women as the natural spokeswomen for the Dark Girl cause when that just reinforces the BULLSH*T negative imagery and ideology that to accept DARK SKINNED women you must be overtly willing to accept a LESS ATTRACTIVE woman.

I remember in University I was having a discussion with my professor about Racial Bias in the Black community, and she held up two pictures to me, one of a Dark Skin girl and one of a “Light-Skin” girl, and told me to choose which one I found more attractive. I choose the Light-Skin girl. She then proceeded to attempt to “school” me on my internal self-hatred and point out that, I too, was a victim of racial bias against my own people. But I quickly stopped her mid-sentence, took the pictures from her and asked her “why did you use THESE EXACT pictures?” You wanna see what she used [and I’m NOT making this up]:

Light Skin Girl [Vanessa Williams]

or:

Dark Skin Girl [Whoopi Goldberg]

I’m NOT a particularly huge fan of the light-skin, long-hair look, but when questioned I would take Vanessa Williams over Whoopi 8 days of the week – but that doesn’t prove any preponderance towards self-hate or racial bias, because I think MOST people would agree Vanessa is more attractive. That’s like holding up a picture of Will Smith & Flavor Flav to a Black woman and then cussing her out and calling her self-hating because she chose Will.

But, when I asked her why she chose Whoopi as the dark-skin representative, and she essentially evaded my question by stating “the point is, it’s a Dark skin girl” which INFURIATED me, because even though she is well-intentioned, she is playing into the hands of The Ugly, Dark Skin Black Girl Compromise by neglecting to mention one VERY important fact: Their are STUNNING, GORGEOUS, BEAUTIFUL, & REMARKABLE Dark Skin Black women walking the Earth every-damn-day in LARGE-ASS numbers.

I wished my Prof. had chosen to ask me more questions instead of rushing to judgement and maybe she would have learned that I was dating a BEAUTIFUL dark skinned woman and I have ABSOLUTELY ZERO qualms with recognizing beauty at ANY shade of colour from Deep chocolate to Pale white. And as I watched that trailer I felt all those feelings coming back when I looked at some of the women they chose to talk about dating specifically. It’s a point that no one really wants to make for fear of being called an a*shole or worst, but were ALL of those women viable candidates to describe the vast inequities of “dating while dark” when [in my opinion] some of them don’t even represent women of AVERAGE attractiveness?

Do I believe that there are MANY Black men out there who treat Dark Skinned women unfairly? OF COURSE – I hear their BULLSH*T everyday in my own personal lives. Do I believe Dark Skinned women may suffer a more difficult time dating because of their shade of skin colour? OF COURSE – there are a multitude of Black women that can attest to that. Do I believe that we also should take male superficiality into account when we discuss some Dark Skinned sista’s problems with dating? YES WE SHOULD [and ask is her PARTICULAR problem 100% skin colour or 50% skin colour and 50% attractiveness?]. The best way to prove one’s anti-Dark Skin preferences is NOT by holding a picture of Precious next to Beyonce and saying “pick one!”. It’s finding a woman of equal beauty [in my opinion Kerry Washington] and holding it next to Beyonce and then asking ‘which one do you find more attractive?’ KERRY [In MY opinion].

The reason NONE of my boys can bring that anti-Dark Skin sh*t around me is because I can BEAT them at their own game because I have MANY examples of Dark Skin women who represent the apex of beauty PERIOD, from starlets to the girl working the cash register at Shoppers Drug Mart.

My whole point boils down to this: By ignoring superficial aesthetics we are doing ONE very stupid thing in our benevolent rush to defend Dark Skin girls – we are canonizing the less than attractive Dark Skin women as wholly representative of their struggle and then clamouring that Black men MUST stop being so close-minded and see the internal beauty of each of these women, which is a NOBLE endeavour, but is also simultaneously UNNECESSARY – because Dark Skinned women are some of the most BEAUTIFUL women walking the planet. Period.

Oh, and just incase you needed VISUAL evidence, here is a post I put up on this site over a year ago:

05/27/2011 at 12:52 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, What Do You Think About The Black Communities Issues With Racial Bias? Do You Feel This Documentary Will Help Solve Issues Of Racially Identity In Our Community?

2. TubOfGoo

05/27/2011 at 2:00 AM

I forgot to add, most people would pick vanessa as more attractive, yes; but ‘most people’ includes East Asians that bleach their skin, and get eyelid surgery, ect ect. Most people includes Black girls walking around with disgusting blonde weaves, Black boys walking around with fruity wannabe white boy ‘waves’, ect. Most people aren’t exactly immune to Eurocentric brainwashing, including you.

3. TubOfGoo

05/27/2011 at 2:58 AM

Your professor was right, the point is she IS a dark skinned “girl” (wtf?) lol. She’s a woman, but whatever. Anyhow Vanessa is light skin, wears her hair blonde, and has blue eyes. While Whoopi is dark skinned, wears dreads, and has less Eurocentric features.

Why do you find vanessa more attractive than Whoopi? Because more eurocentric features is what you find more attractive in reality. You’d most likely rather her pick a more eurocentric dark skinned woman instead of one with typical West African features, and her natural hair texture intact.

Anyhow, black men can and will deny any self-hate every day of their lives. But you are the ones brushing ‘waves’ into your naps, and telling yourselves that your fixation over white women is a prefence….yet you are the same dude running your mouth about white men, in general. Your white queen wouldn’t exist without that ‘corny white dude’. Or your white male boss you hate and complain about with your like minded black male friends, never forget that when you are sitting around cracking white boy jokes.

Just for the record I find neither Vanessa or Whoopi attractive, I have no interest in white girls dipped in watered down chocolate, or women about 20 years older than me.

4. MissZuri

05/27/2011 at 6:43 AM

Wow. I'm glad I'm not alone on this one. I thought the exact same thing while watching the preview. These women do not represent the beautiful dark skin women that I have encountered with or without West African features. Many of those women wouldn't be attractive even if they were the same tone as Vanessa Williams and had blue eyes.

Black folks have serious issues with skin color that do not get addressed. The bias within our own communities is ridiculous and teaches a vast majority of our children self hate (as seen with the little girl picking the white child over the black as pretty and smart). Both sides get it though. Either you are too black and therefore ugly or you are too light and cannot claim your "blackness." I grew up in the Midwest thinking that I was brown or dark skin (depending on the person). I remember distinctly how unattractive I felt compared to the lighter girls with longer hair. When I went to college down south, I was light skin or red bone and there were a separate set of assumptions made about me and my general attractiveness.

Do black men have the same experiences? I have not seen dark skin men get "he's fine for a dark skin guy" statements. There seems to be a preference for dark skin men over light skin.

5. ChloeRayne516

05/27/2011 at 9:24 AM

*smh*

It's a shame in 2011 "The Plantation Syndrome" still exist in our community amongst ourselves but the sad truth is that this light skin vs. Dark skin thing is something often times taught in the homes/thru family members during childhood believe it or not, moreso among caribbeans.

My ex-motherinlaw has a light skin better than dark skin fixation, see is foreva making jokes telling one of her 6 granddaughters that she better not bring a darkie home because otherwise her babies will come out dark since she is of a brown complexion but she tells mu daughter her and her other cuz could bring home whoever since they both light. O_____o

I notice lately my daughter has been on this when I grew up I'm only dating spanish or light skin guys, no dark guys — I was infuriated when she told me that and her excuse was exactly what this thread is about. #She'sAworkInProgress. But I'm handling that.

6. Jae

05/27/2011 at 10:49 AM

Damnit, man. My sister said this exact thing yesterday and I was like "damn don't say that" …but it's true lol

I see it all the time in forums & blogs with this discussion. Whoopi ALWAYS comes up and I don't get why. Can we get a Kelly Rowland? Tika Sumpter? Naomi Campbell (in her hey day)? That's like comparing a rotten apple and a brand new just ripened orange. Yes, I'm gonna pick the orange because you presented me with a shitty apple.

In regards to the video, being dark skin, clearly I related to it. I was very aware at a young age that being dark was like a strike against me as a female.

The little girl saying the white child is prettier and smarter broke my heart & reminded me of my younger cousin who I've HEARD say she wishes she was white so she can be pretty like her best friend. Ugh.

7. Uhuru

05/27/2011 at 11:20 AM

I would like to point out that this didn't start with dark skin being "hated" on. It's been scientifically proven that darker skin is genetically superior to lighter skin. For the longest time Albino babies have been looked at as cursed within the continent of Africa and have had to flee for their life. That still goes on to this day. My perspective is it's almost like a reversal of roles. Since all races can be traced back to a beautiful dark skinned woman. Beauty is Beauty no matter the shade.

8. SMilez_920

05/27/2011 at 12:06 PM

One question.. Why are'nt dark skin men being put under the same fire as Dark skin women. I hear women yell about wanting a chocolate man all the time. While i agree ppl have the right to like whatever they like ie (if he likes light skin girls let him rock ) I dont agree with it if it come from igronance like light is right. Also i agree with everyone you cant compare Whoopi to Vaneesa they are in 2 different leagues. Now You should have picked Gabieral Union , she's hot.

(Im light and my mothers dark so either way I never thought one was prettier than the other )

9. Drgray91

05/27/2011 at 12:10 PM

As I sit at work sighing heavily and rubbing my temples, I can't help but to think racial bias is in the same boat as every other type of bias. Gender bias, sex bias, weight bias, wealth bias, education bias, hair length bias… I could easily go on, but do you see where I'm going? It's petty. All of it. I'm waiting on the moment when we can stop dwelling on bullshit. The people that are out here with those biases are NOT phased by the fact that you're feelings are hurt, or that now you're emotionally broke and don't value yourself, skills, abilities or talents. Why? Because now they can take advantage of your weak ass and keep livin how they're living, they might watch this movie, may even through a smile at you every now and again will their minds be moved? With their spirits be changed and biases lifted. I DOUBT IT. BUT WHO THE HELL CARES?

I've been reading a lot of Niezsche lately, if you couldn't tell.

*shrugs* I'm dark skinned, I grew up around all white people where I was the only black person for miles… you know how that made me feel? Special as fuck. My parents always stressed self value and right to opinions. There were some awkward developmental years that made me weak enough to compare myself everything (lighter girls included) but I had no intention of jumping in a vat of bleach so why dwell and trouble myself with. I heard lil wayne say he doesn't like dark skinned ladies, that's cool. I still hop around like a coon to some of his music. Black girls are ugly you say? Ah, you think so? Ole dude in the vid thinks we look weird? He ain't met me though.

I'm more than just singular attributes, I'm a beautiful composition. I don't care if you like pizza and I like cheeseburgers, we can still eat together. I'd rather sit here and let you see how this fire this pizza is and have you wonder than to let it get cold as I try and change your mind about it.

…and with that it is quite clearly lunch time. (:

10. imakesense

05/27/2011 at 12:49 PM

I'm so fucking tired of this topic…

11. imakesense

05/27/2011 at 12:52 PM

All the women in the video are ugly except the one who's mom said she would be beautiful with lighter skin. Which I add is an effed up thing to say about your child.

*Kanye Shrug*

12. imakesense

05/27/2011 at 12:54 PM

LOOL

13. AfricanQueen

05/27/2011 at 1:02 PM

*throws hands up and do a joy dance* lol heeeyyy giiiirl!

14. Tinfoilicecream

05/27/2011 at 1:31 PM

Btw I had this question, but forgot to ask it.

Why is the presumptuous tone of this article, that whoopi is less attractive than the photoshopped to death photo of vanessa okay? But the article regarding black women being seen as less attractive not okay?

I mean in reality that article made more sense, because 1. most of the world prefers lighter skin, seeing as how Asia is the largest continent on the planet – and the majority of the countries there have a huge skin bleaching market, and 2. some of the more overpopulated countries in East Asia have eyelid surgery seen as normal as a kid getting braces, and 3. Most of the world doesn’t have nappy kinky hair, not to mention the fact that when black women wear weaves they wear a totally different texture than their own.

What facts does this presumptuous article have that backs up the tone of whoopi being less attractive than vanessa besides the fact that vanessa is closer to eurocentric beauty than whoopi? Her features are slimmer, her skin is lighter, and her hair is straight – plus the enhanced blue eyes. Those are her features, Linc your features look like Whoopi’s to me. Big lips, dark skin, nappy hair, wide unrefined nose, full features overall.

So you find those features that whoopi (and yourself) have less attractive than Vanessa’s? Or you believe that women shouldn’t have those features? Even though asian, white, hispanic, ect. women and men typically share similar features, so it only makes sense for black women and men to share similar features aswell.

15. ATLienSince82

05/27/2011 at 1:37 PM

Mayne I ain't tryin to go to black hell, but when that bald female was crying about how dudes would love her behind doors but not want to walk around with her in public…I had a hard time believing that was because she was dark..i think its because she looks like a retired boxer..

I'm sorry yawl I know I got gasoline draws on..

16. TubOfGoo

05/27/2011 at 2:05 PM

@whoever brought up kelly R. and naomi…sorry reply button wasn’t working for me.

Kelly and Naomi, two women who are damn near bald with nasty edges under their cheap wannabe barbie weaves and wigs. One ….actually no, both, who have had nose jobs…and one who thinks it’s cute to blue tacky blue contacts (naomi on her off days).

How typical, lol. The more eurocentric the ‘darkie’ looks, the more attractive she is. That is why you have the ‘pretty for a dark skinned girl” dark skinned girls, and then those that are cursed with the features blacks all over have to see in the mirror, wide unrefined nose, thick dark lips, overall fuller features, ect.

You men on here have such generic taste, but I can’t blame you for it. I can’t blame whitey for it either though since I doubt most white men like you having a prefence for women that look more like white women.

17. TubOfGoo

05/27/2011 at 2:10 PM

I have to add though; it is very sad to see that the only black women seen as attractive have to have more eurocentric features. It’s even sadder to see blacks thinking like white people when you mention features you automatically go to hair, eyes, and skin ton. When it’s your wide nose, thick lips, skin, ect. and every feature that shows the world that you AREN’T white – that most of you hate. It’s not like things that you can change if you want to (like your hair).

I guess most of you aren’t willing to admit that though. Anyways there is hope for you darkies out there, just go get yourself a nose job, DON’T be thick, fat or curvy, basically anything that anyone could consider ‘fat’ – and you better put some concealer on those thick negro lips of yours, and you already know to cover those naps up. LOL

You will be at the ‘pretty for a dark skinned girl’ level then. But you’ll always be second best, to the Alicia Keys, Tyra Banks, Kyla Pratt prototypes.

18. TubOfGoo

05/27/2011 at 4:47 PM

The class? First of all, what class? Bria is a cheap whore. And Tika is some horrid actress on Gossip girls (that’s the kinda shit you’re on? lmao)

Anyhow as far as their looks, both of them facially wise have more refined features than Whoopi, they are younger, and darker. Both also wear cheap fake ass wigs and weaves that are a complete turn around from the naps they have under those barbie wigs.

So is that the defining factor that makes them more attractive? you simply don’t get it, no matter how many famous, somewhat average/normal dark skinned black women you can list, I can list eurocentric reasons that you find them attractive. I may be wrong, but it wont stop me from listing them obviously. lol

What is it you find unattractive about whoopi? Her features are: thick full lips, unrefined wide nose, dark brown skin, high cheek bones, natural texture in tact, but with manipulated dreadlocks for style, almond shaped brown eyes.

These features are unattractive to you? I get it that most of you despite having the same features as whoopi (esp. linc with his black ass and giant ass nose, ROFL) are into the glam, hollyskank look, with the long greasy looking wannabe white girl weave, and so on. But if you wanted to make a point in listing women darker than whoopi I must have missed it.

It would have been better for you to note someone in the ranks of Yaya Decosta perhaps, though her features are more refined to please Eurocentric standards – atleast she doesn’t have a tacky barbie wig/weave attached to her head 24/7.

19. Blaximus

05/27/2011 at 6:08 PM

I guess because my grandmother was sooooo colorstruck, I don't have the same opinions about my dark skinned sisters. I always found my grandmother's comments to be wildly insane. My family is a rainbow of shades, from super brite to midnite black, and everybody was always " family " to me.

IMO, we black people have something no other race can claim – a stunning variety in our people, and that goes DOUBLE for our sisters.

Most of us have our own ideas of what constitutes " beauty ", but we should be ever mindful of letting others set our bar for us.

I love our women in all shapes, sizes and hues. I'm happy that there is a resurgence in " natural " hairstyles because I personally find black hair ( for lack of a better term ) wonderfull.

SMH, we are sooooo hard on ourselves when all of us are closer to God than any one else on earth.

Oh, and for the record, I used to have a lil crush on Whoopi about 20 years ago. LOL. I dug her. Loved her dreads, skin tone, voice…the whole 9. Her sense of humor nailed it for me.

05/27/2011 at 10:35 PM

@TubOfGoo

Do you realize that in your miscalculated attempt to support dark skin women everywhere you are the ONLY ONE making derogatory remarks about them?

I want you to step down from your post as the spokesperson of dark skin women effective IMMEJEEATELY.

21. taryn

05/28/2011 at 1:03 AM

@mistaharsh
    " i can still list eurocentric things why you find her beautiful"
    i feel like the same thing as saying shes pretty for a darkskin girl like you have to find some reason why shes beautiful she cant just simlpy be a beautiful girl i definately understand were u were going with your point but it kinda bothered me when i read that just thought id put it out there

and i think i need to do my own documentary and represent the beautiful darkskin women i see every day no offence but there could have been more of a variety of beautiful darkskin women i dont think they had a good repesentaion im a little upset

22. grandgryph

05/28/2011 at 6:07 PM

i don't really know what the point of a documentary with a bunch of dark-skinned women whining and mythologising about feeling unpretty is really going to add to this centuries old debate. really, i think it'd be better for all of use to examine "beauty" itself.

beauty is a very subjective thing. cleopatra was considered beautiful and, according to some historians, she was fat, black and near bald. many of the women we fawn over in today's world, or the bony women white women who dominated the nineties, would be considered "meh" material at best in other places and times. "beauty", as evidenced by the history and the constantly re-iterated – not just colour – but ancestry biases, is a social construct. so many want to de-construct, or bury, "race", but leave other arguably more toxic constructs in tact. odd.

also, while there are some stats to show "good-looking" people have social benefits, there is plenty of data and anecdotal evidence to show that they – particularly women – suffer by being thought physically attractive. for a number of reason, they are more likely to be "sexualised" at an early age and/or subjected to unwanted attention (from males and females) that they don't really know how to manage – or shapes their realities in ways that aren't always "constructive". sex icon pam grier talks about it her biography and how being seen as so beautiful helped make her emotionally damaged and alienated even before she got famous. so it is not all roses. yet, women clamour for it – and define themselves by it. their obsession with "physical beauty" is really an obsession with status and acceptance; and so, in my mind, is an articulation of mental weakness. most often, men's obsession with female "physical beauty" is a sort of controlling psychological cruelty.

things would be better if we de-emphasied physical beauty as a signifier of what is true and good. we should challenge – or at least question – exclusionary beauty standards (such as those linked to color/ancestry). i think that there has been some movement in this regard: the desirability of women queen latifah, j-lo, bria myles – or the countless other dark-skinned women african and south asian – show that there are more ways for a woman to be considered good looking these days. i think that is good.

but the better development is if we were able to limit the worth beauty adds to a woman's worth and that women didn't value themselves so intently on the reactions that they their physical appearance can provoke.

05/29/2011 at 2:58 PM

Hilarious!

24. grandgryph

05/29/2011 at 3:10 PM

we (both males and females) over-value women's physical appearance. i think physical attractiveness, however defined, will always play a role in social interact. but right now, it gets too much attention and we associate it with the wrong things. people invest so much in looks because there is some truth to the notion that looks help you get ahead in the world. but, i think that emphasis retards human development and blinds us to a lot of potentials, particularly for women because they are constantly judged by their beauty and so invest so much – emotionally and financially – into it.

25. Bluetooth

05/30/2011 at 8:34 AM

This article is complete crap. Why can't a man NOT be attracted to a women of a certain skin color and that just be it? Why the Self-Hate rant? Women discriminate in dating ALL THE TIME and for reasons that the men they don't fancy cannot control! What about Short Men? Something like 95% of women would not date a man shorter than them unless they were completely flawless! Just like you have women rushing to the pharmacy to bleach their skin, you have loads of men rushing off to China and Russia to have their legs broken to expand their dating pool and become more attractive. Just like how women go on dating websites and clubs and X out all of the men under 5'8 (even the shortest women won't date short men), a Man can look at a group of women and cancel out whichever women he doesn't find attractive, and doesn't need to explain it. If the fattest man in the world at 1200lbs can get married, then there is truly someone for everyone. Quit bitc*hing about dating preferences unless you have absolutely none of your own. Color might be a race, but Short is a group, Genetically Fat is a group and there are many others. GET OVER IT!

26. Adrian

05/30/2011 at 9:46 PM

Or put a pic of Old Vybz Kartel next to New Vybz Kartel lmao!

27. Adrian

05/30/2011 at 10:06 PM

Standing Ovation! Linc, you are the effin MAN! I’ve been saying this sh*t for years, having to debate feverishly just for others to grasp the understanding. Black is beautiful, Yes, Completely! But that doesn't mean every black person is physically above average in appearance.

28. Alex of Liveagl.com

05/31/2011 at 2:47 PM

LMAOOO Comparing Vanessa Williams to Whoopi Goldberg …it doesn't work.

29. Half a HERO

06/03/2011 at 10:59 AM

I dont even look at the face or skin any more! Its all about the azzzzz!

30. 3434343

08/09/2011 at 10:53 PM

black gilrs are fucked !!!!!

31. Precious-Johnson

09/09/2011 at 9:05 AM

when i was young girl I was pretty "colorstruck", but i know realize I was mostly "hair struck". Because I thought Vanessa Bell Calloway was beautiful in All My Children, and any other dark lady with long hair. I never thought Tisha Campbell was beautiful, but then she had short hair, nor did i think Rain Pryor was pretty, but Robin Givens and the other light skin girl on head of the Class where beautiful to me.
    I started to realize it went beyond color for me, when I was a little girl I liked long hair. I also realized I thought fat was pretty when I was young, my idea of beauty was so broad, i thought Nell Carter, Jackee, Florence from the Jeffersons, Vanity, Oprah and Lisa Bonet were all beautiful. The older I became society and music videos began to dictate to me what beauty was.
    For some odd reason as colorstruck as i was i never considered Vanessa Williams pretty, i thought she had ugly hair and ugly skin, and she became Ms. America when I was like 7 years old. So I don't know if I would consider Vanessa Williams prettier than Whoopi, because I do not think Whoopi Goldberg is ugly anymore, over the years listening to her speak I see the beauty inside and out of her.

32. Bobby Minkus

10/12/2011 at 11:36 AM

Your reply has such lack of intelligence to back up what has been stated in the article. I do not know whether you are african american or any other race nor do I know your skin tone and etc….Features of the african american race has been looked down upon for a long time now. Yeah I can say that this does go back to slavery days and have a cliche of a response such as it's because of Willie lynch. A mind set is a mind set of one person. If you choose to be brain washed and have a certain way of going about or thinking than that is you. Kelly Rowland and Naomi Campbell do have eurocentric features of have gotten surgery to do so. If this is what they feel will get them farther than as I said before that is them. To call one darkie is an insult. So beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If one thinks lighter is better than that is of that person and if one says the darker the better than that is there take on it. So statistics show that lighter is better, that in most countries lighter skin or fairer skin is better? This maybe true in a sense of how you see it or what you look at in every day life. I find it funny how women today that are brown skinned or more fair as to caramel skinned claim to be light skinned. Light skin would have to be Vanessa Williams while a brown skinned female would be close to Gabriel Union. There is always lighting used on celebs. They are much more darker than they seem. It's unfortunate how much society has convinced people of this separation, to have one another think that being close to caucasion, eurocentric features that everything is ok. To feel superior in a sense. I am glad to be an educated african american or I would end up like the next dark skinned african american female feeling bad about thinking that I am lacking something when I am not. In all honesty I am not shocked to see ignorant and arrogant responses. This is a debate that no one will either win or lose. An opinion is a statement that can not be backed up by supportive information because there is no evidence. Everything on here is an opinion. A post like this is only here to stir up what they know you will put out, hatred against one another for the things you are or look and so on. When the world ends is what I say and will always say because you all will be judged.

33. lulu

10/30/2011 at 4:14 PM

Okay. So I understand what everyone is saying but it's laughable. Lol. My goodness how this topic has fallen. First off this complex came during slavery times, in order to create division between the slaves who beyond all things stood together. So a white slave owner decided to label his slaves. The darker ones would work outside and be called "field slaves", and the lighter ones would work inside and be called "house slaves". The "field slaves" would do the rotten work, spending countless hours in the hot sun, "working them fields". The "house slaves" would do chores and clean after the owners, relatively lesser work. Also, because they worked inside, some would have the opportunity, to learn to read. This created the perfect division between blacks ranking them on appearance, which transcended into education, and eventually beauty. Now, mind you, hair and Eurocentric features had nothing to do with it then.

34. Chanai

11/01/2011 at 2:59 PM

Or You could've done Meagen Good or Raven Symone? Damaris Lewis or Lauren London. I choose Damaris and Meagen Good.

35. DSTGirl

11/07/2011 at 2:51 AM

@lulu none of what you wrote is based on fact. Both light and dark slaves worked in the field as well as the house. Fair skin or not they were all niggas in massa's eyes. The real deciding factors were much more sensible.

Are you good at domestic tasks?
    Do you take orders well?
    Do you put massa's mind at ease? (Most likely not gonna kill him or steal from the house also willing to rat out your fellow slave)
    Then congratulations you get to work in the house. It had NOTHING to do with skin tone!

36. carey

11/12/2011 at 1:10 AM

Black people are still brainwashed by the white man OBVIOUSLY. The only diffrence between a light/dark person, is that the facial features stand out more on lighter complexions. Just because your light does not mean you're PRETTY. The "phrase" "she's pretty to be dark" started in the blk community,Black people keep eachother down. I think black is BEAUTIFUL, just ask all the white women (who spend 100 of thousands of dollars on the same features that make black women so "ugly") what they think. Think about it the most "beautiful" women in the world(based on the media) are white but look at their lips cheekbones ext. They have full lips, fake breasts, which are all things black women have naturally Black is beautiful were just brainwashed to think white is better.

37. apgifts

11/16/2011 at 12:54 AM

Listed below are links to data on the Historical MYTH
    of a Color-Based / Slave-Role HIERARCHY — as well
    as the Urban LEGEND of Paper-Bag, Blue-Vein and
    Other Allegations of Features-Based Entry 'TESTS':

ONLINE LINEAGE-DISCUSSION GROUPS / COMMUNITIES:

38. XBJ

12/04/2011 at 2:57 AM

I haven’t yet seen the documentary and I hope there are examples of fine dark women, unlike in the preview/trailer.. This is just a more racially centered example of the general ‘acceptance’ movement.. This has been going on for a long time with ‘overweight’ women, for example.. There is a misguided push by bitter feminists to accept ALL women as beautiful no matter what they look like.. It’s an attack against any standards of physical beauty, and any man who happens to find a particular large (or dark) woman unattractive can be dismissed as shallow etc… Ultimately this undermines the entire supposed mission of such movements, by showcasing unattractive people, scolding everyone else for not being aroused by them, and basically throwing a tantrum against reality itself.. We need more “Big CAN BE beautiful” and less “Big IS Beautiful”.. More “Dark Skinned Women Are Often Beautiful” and less “Dark Skinned Women Are Always Beautiful”.. Maybe your professor was unpopular with boys in high-school and chose to blame it 100% on perceived bias against her skin-tone?. Sometimes being ugly is enough of a reason by itself, with no need to factor in preferences in skin tone.. Even Ted Danson would rather bang Beyonce..

39. Pingback: Say it. I Dare You (jr) - Page 1266 - CurlTalk

40. AllPeople (AP) Gifts

12/30/2011 at 11:36 PM

‎.
    Thanks to the racist-'One-Drop Rule' —
    the 'Mixed-Race Face' ("light skin") came
    to symbolize the look of "the new Negro".
    . http://www.flickr.com/photos/vieilles_annonces/32
    (Jet magazine / January 31, 1952)
    . <a href="http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2 Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fvieilles_annonces%2F3014534998%2Fsizes%2Fl%2Fin%2Fphotostream&h=vAQGymnZjAQH4BcobBe7oVM3YBQolWStvSQn4nCLD_2QVsQ” target=”_blank”>http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2 <a h…” target=”_blank”>Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fvieilles_annonces%2F3014534998%2Fsizes%2Fl%2Fin%2Fphotostream&h=vAQGymnZjAQH4BcobBe7oVM3YBQolWStvSQn4nCLD_2QVsQ
    (Jet magazine / December 17, 1953)