The Ugly, Dark Skin Black Girl Compromise

I’m pretty confident that we ALL have heard the highly ignorant phrase “she’s pretty – for a DARK SKIN girl” but what we haven’t investigated enough is what lingers on the OTHER side of that comment and where it’s ugly roots come from. The Black Community has been wrestling with our own dirty, ugly, little secret since slavery, when we were TAUGHT to rate and hate each other heavily dependent on each others skin colour: In order for us to accept dating the darker skinned sistas in our race, we would have to inherently agree to The Ugly, Dark Skin Black Girl Compromise which states that Dark-skin women CAN be dated – as long as you are willing to compromise your superficial tastes in physical attractiveness.

As you may or may not know, there is a new documentary that will be premiering in the Fall/Winter of 2011 called Dark Girls and here is the trailer:

For me, the most powerful and moving parts of this preview were how race affects the ideologies of young Black children, but what REALLY pissed me off, is that Documentaries like this, art exhibits like this, magazine articles and blogs like this all help to PUSH The Ugly, Dark Skin Black Girl Compromise as it relates to dating by continually [and possibly sub-consciously] canonizing less than attractive women as the natural spokeswomen for the Dark Girl cause when that just reinforces the BULLSH*T negative imagery and ideology that to accept DARK SKINNED women you must be overtly willing to accept a LESS ATTRACTIVE woman.

I remember in University I was having a discussion with my professor about Racial Bias in the Black community, and she held up two pictures to me, one of a Dark Skin girl and one of a “Light-Skin” girl, and told me to choose which one I found more attractive. I choose the Light-Skin girl. She then proceeded to attempt to “school” me on my internal self-hatred and point out that, I too, was a victim of racial bias against my own people. But I quickly stopped her mid-sentence, took the pictures from her and asked her “why did you use THESE EXACT pictures?” You wanna see what she used [and I’m NOT making this up]:

Light Skin Girl [Vanessa Williams]

or:

Dark Skin Girl [Whoopi Goldberg]

I’m NOT a particularly huge fan of the light-skin, long-hair look, but when questioned I would take Vanessa Williams over Whoopi 8 days of the week – but that doesn’t prove any preponderance towards self-hate or racial bias, because I think MOST people would agree Vanessa is more attractive. That’s like holding up a picture of Will Smith & Flavor Flav to a Black woman and then cussing her out and calling her self-hating because she chose Will.

But, when I asked her why she chose Whoopi as the dark-skin representative, and she essentially evaded my question by stating “the point is, it’s a Dark skin girl” which INFURIATED me, because even though she is well-intentioned, she is playing into the hands of The Ugly, Dark Skin Black Girl Compromise by neglecting to mention one VERY important fact: Their are STUNNING, GORGEOUS, BEAUTIFUL, & REMARKABLE Dark Skin Black women walking the Earth every-damn-day in LARGE-ASS numbers.

I wished my Prof. had chosen to ask me more questions instead of rushing to judgement and maybe she would have learned that I was dating a BEAUTIFUL dark skinned woman and I have ABSOLUTELY ZERO qualms with recognizing beauty at ANY shade of colour from Deep chocolate to Pale white. And as I watched that trailer I felt all those feelings coming back when I looked at some of the women they chose to talk about dating specifically. It’s a point that no one really wants to make for fear of being called an a*shole or worst, but were ALL of those women viable candidates to describe the vast inequities of “dating while dark” when [in my opinion] some of them don’t even represent women of AVERAGE attractiveness?

Do I believe that there are MANY Black men out there who treat Dark Skinned women unfairly? OF COURSE – I hear their BULLSH*T everyday in my own personal lives. Do I believe Dark Skinned women may suffer a more difficult time dating because of their shade of skin colour? OF COURSE – there are a multitude of Black women that can attest to that. Do I believe that we also should take male superficiality into account when we discuss some Dark Skinned sista’s problems with dating? YES WE SHOULD [and ask is her PARTICULAR problem 100% skin colour or 50% skin colour and 50% attractiveness?]. The best way to prove one’s anti-Dark Skin preferences is NOT by holding a picture of Precious next to Beyonce and saying “pick one!”. It’s finding a woman of equal beauty [in my opinion Kerry Washington] and holding it next to Beyonce and then asking ‘which one do you find more attractive?’ KERRY [In MY opinion].

The reason NONE of my boys can bring that anti-Dark Skin sh*t around me is because I can BEAT them at their own game because I have MANY examples of Dark Skin women who represent the apex of beauty PERIOD, from starlets to the girl working the cash register at Shoppers Drug Mart.

My whole point boils down to this: By ignoring superficial aesthetics we are doing ONE very stupid thing in our benevolent rush to defend Dark Skin girls – we are canonizing the less than attractive Dark Skin women as wholly representative of their struggle and then clamouring that Black men MUST stop being so close-minded and see the internal beauty of each of these women, which is a NOBLE endeavour, but is also simultaneously UNNECESSARY – because Dark Skinned women are some of the most BEAUTIFUL women walking the planet. Period.

Oh, and just incase you needed VISUAL evidence, here is a post I put up on this site over a year ago:

05/27/2011 at 12:52 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, What Do You Think About The Black Communities Issues With Racial Bias? Do You Feel This Documentary Will Help Solve Issues Of Racially Identity In Our Community?

• Lance

12/17/2011 at 2:14 AM

First off this is not an issue in the American black community. Its a issue with all. Indian, Latin, Middle Eastern, etc. It kills me every time I hear that the black community has this problem. Black people (american) use your brain. I don't have an issue with color its attitude.Blacks, colored, african-american whatever they call us. We have to understand that this is just something we have to handle. Black dark skinned women have such a bad attitude. Remember the Color Purple "Your black, your ugly, your a woman". Who wants that I sure don't but I am sure many people wouldn't. I think if we all showed a little class that would make the difference from the Nigger to the Olive complected person

2. TubOfGoo

05/27/2011 at 2:00 AM

I forgot to add, most people would pick vanessa as more attractive, yes; but ‘most people’ includes East Asians that bleach their skin, and get eyelid surgery, ect ect. Most people includes Black girls walking around with disgusting blonde weaves, Black boys walking around with fruity wannabe white boy ‘waves’, ect. Most people aren’t exactly immune to Eurocentric brainwashing, including you.

05/27/2011 at 4:58 AM

I Forgot To Add That Self-Hate Rhetoric Is Actually A Two-Road Street. It Is Crass And Ignorant For A Black Man To Believe That Dark Skin Women Are Intrinsically LESS Beautiful Because Of Their Skin Tone & Black Features, BUT Explain To Me Intelligently How Dissing Non-Dark Skin Women (Born Of Two Black Parents) Is Not The Same Self-Hate?

Are They Not Black ENOUGH Because They Don't Carry West-African Traits? I Guess My East African Friends Should Rescind Their Blackness Because It Doesn't Conform To Your Unintelligible "Standards."

• AfrikanQueen

05/27/2011 at 6:36 AM

"Ignorance Is A Sin, But It's A Crime When Disguised In Faux-Intellectual Rhetoric.."

*DEAD*

• Nicholas Barham

05/27/2011 at 11:52 AM

Jeeez…. @ "Ignorance Is A Sin, But it's a crime when disguised in faux-intellectual rhetoric"

• Adrian

05/30/2011 at 9:35 PM

Co-Sign!
        TubOfGoo's getting PWNED once again!

• DarkFantasy

10/03/2011 at 8:15 AM

By a white phaggit? Nah.

• Will

06/07/2011 at 6:22 PM

um…yeah. last time i checked, waves in the context of how black men and women get them have nothing to do with white people at all. waves on a black man or women are only the way they are because our hair is naturally kinky and nappy. meanwhile do you really think not choosing whoopi makes him a self-hater who worships white women when he clearly said he had a black girlfriend? if you haven't noticed? whoopi is old looking. and clearly is not a legitimate example of a beautiful dark skinned women in his mind as he tried to tell his professor.

i agree. i see plenty of dark skinned black women that look better than whoopi and Vanessa and even if he had a white girlfriend, doesn't mean he hates his race and is exclusively unatracted to black women.
      although you are right about the eyelids, the whole asian women wanting to be white thing, is actually asian wanting to be pale skinned. it goes back before europeans even set foot in asia. pale skinned asian skin is different than european white skin.

speaking of asians that reminds me, how come it is said that black women who wear weaves and perm their hair want to be eurocentric, when first of all most of the weaves come from india, and asia. not to mention that alot of white people have wavy to really curly hair and straighten their hair as well to fit the beauty ideal. is that being eurocentric? compared to white people, it is the asians, indians, and native americans that have straight hair.
      that is all.

• poetess

11/20/2011 at 3:24 PM

The comparison wasn't fair to begin with. When in the hell has Whoopi ever been considered attractive by anyone? I think that was his point.

3. TubOfGoo

05/27/2011 at 2:58 AM

Your professor was right, the point is she IS a dark skinned “girl” (wtf?) lol. She’s a woman, but whatever. Anyhow Vanessa is light skin, wears her hair blonde, and has blue eyes. While Whoopi is dark skinned, wears dreads, and has less Eurocentric features.

Why do you find vanessa more attractive than Whoopi? Because more eurocentric features is what you find more attractive in reality. You’d most likely rather her pick a more eurocentric dark skinned woman instead of one with typical West African features, and her natural hair texture intact.

Anyhow, black men can and will deny any self-hate every day of their lives. But you are the ones brushing ‘waves’ into your naps, and telling yourselves that your fixation over white women is a prefence….yet you are the same dude running your mouth about white men, in general. Your white queen wouldn’t exist without that ‘corny white dude’. Or your white male boss you hate and complain about with your like minded black male friends, never forget that when you are sitting around cracking white boy jokes.

Just for the record I find neither Vanessa or Whoopi attractive, I have no interest in white girls dipped in watered down chocolate, or women about 20 years older than me.

05/27/2011 at 4:52 AM

Thanks For Posting. But Moreso Thanks For Proving My Point.

Dark Skin Women Are Beautiful In Their Totality, But YOU Should Be Careful With Assigning One Typical Phenotype With The Sole Representation Of Dark Skinned Beauty..

Africa Is NOT A Block. Or A Hood. Or A Country. Or A Small Island. It is A GIANT Continent, And From Egypt To Ghana To South Africa To Eritrea, There Are MANY Characterizations Of Natural, Black, Dark Skinned Beauty.

The Genotype Of An Organism Is The Inherited Instructions It Carries Within Its Genetic Code. Not All Organisms With The Same Genotype Look The Same Way Because Appearance Is Modified By Environmental And Developmental Conditions.

I Really Hope We Can Delve Into This Issue Without It Remaining A Baseless "The Author Likes White Girls" Insult-Fest (When I Have Provided Many Examples Of My Affection For Dark Skin Women)..

• AfrikanQueen

05/27/2011 at 6:32 AM

As a woman from West Africa – where all the West Africans at?? woot woot lol….I digress.
        My point is that I agree with Linc on this one. I'm from Gambia, the smallest nation on mainland Africa with only about 1.5 mill ppl. We have 7 different tribes in my country alone, ranging from the pitch black Serels (my tribe) to the high yella Fulanis. Aint no such thing as "West African features" coz we aint a homogeneous group and implying otherwise is ignorant and insulting.

We as a people have deeply rooted color issues. We are still mentally enslaved and unless we start defining out own standards of beauty and stop supporting these idiot rappers talking bullshyt about redbones and yella chicks, WE. WILL. NEVER. REACH. THE. PROMISED. LAND. This applies to all Black folks from the West Coast of Africa to the British Isles and all through the U.S.

I was raised in Norway, the whitest country on the planet. It wasn't until I moved to Atlanta that I got so conscious about my skin color. My skin is smooth and looks like it's been dipped in dark chocolate. I've got the "you so pretty for a dark skin girl" crap more often than I care to count. BUT I've got more play because of my skin (my mama's been smashing that African shea butter on me since I was a baby lol). People are ignorant, some more than others. The color obsession in our communities will never go away as long as we keep letting the white mainstream media define our standards of beauty. Until we embrace all that makes us unique, we keep losing.

And just for the record: Whoopi is as unattractive as they come (not that I find V. Williams attractive either…). Black women are just like other women, nah scratch that, WE THA SHYT!!! lol many are extremely beautiful, and some are just fugly. Chocolate brown, smooth caramel, bearly brown with freckles….it doesn't matter. Maybe we can pass that down to the next generation…..#justmytwocents

• The_Mad_HATER

05/27/2011 at 12:44 PM

post a picture of yourself let us see! lol

• AfricanQueen

05/27/2011 at 1:03 PM

LOL yall just gonna have to take my words for it :p

• ATLienSince82

05/27/2011 at 1:33 PM

Dayum he beat me to it! LOL

• ATLienSince82

05/27/2011 at 1:33 PM

Mayne we stay on that bull out here which confuses me cause ATL got some of the finest dark skin females in the world

• MistaHarsh

05/27/2011 at 10:09 PM

very well said. Don't short change yourself that was worth more than 2cents.

side note even Whoopi would have picked Vanessa if she was given the choice!
          and what about whoopi says "west African"???

last but not least big up Nigeria. Naija all day every day

• Kane

05/28/2011 at 10:10 AM

I dont understand why shades of colour are such a big deal in America. I've lived in the UK most of my life and I can tell you that someone's skin tone is rarely an issue. But the minute I step into America or listen to some American Rap artists I'm bombarded with this colour issue.

• Kouayep kouamou

05/30/2011 at 11:46 AM

Cameroonian right here!!!

• African123

12/03/2014 at 5:38 PM

Yass Gambia team. I'm from the Soninke Tribe.

• Adrian

05/30/2011 at 9:31 PM

TubOfGoo got PWNED on this one Lmao!

• poetess

11/20/2011 at 3:21 PM

Actually, Vanessa Williams has distinctly black features except for the hair, blue eyes and skin. If we dipped her in chocolate and gave her brown eyes and black hair, she would still be pretty. If we dipped Whoopi in vanilla she'd be just a fugly. The woman is ugly, end of story, and that is quite independent of her skin color. Now, to prove the point about beautiful dark skinned women you should have threw a photo of Gabrielle Union or Naomi Campbell up there.

• Desiree

12/14/2011 at 12:08 AM

Oh i never thought of it as a european way. I thought she meant literally the skin color mattered but i get what you are saying.

• Lance

12/17/2011 at 1:35 AM

Dark girls are great I guess, but they have such bad attitudes. Give them a job with a little purpose they think they are the CEO of the company. What I am saying is that I dated a DARK woman and she was so color struck and everyday was an issue with how she was better than everyone else, when in fact she was jealous of the women with the long hair light skinned, such as my x wife who is from PR and was and is a good looking woman. This Dark skinned woman even lied and told a person she didnt know that I knew that my daughter was hers. By the way my daughter is light skinned with a very exotic look. Now there is no way this woman could produce any child like that. I am a cuban/black mix and I don't get it with dark females. They are always trying to make a point that they are SO great. Look all I can say is that I will never have anything to do with DARK females.

• Liiinda

01/18/2012 at 10:41 PM

Smh, lol. GET OVER YOURSELF! The amount of ignorance in this post baffles me. And your obvious lack of a brain makes me giggle.

I am a Dominican American with dark skin, and I have NO problem getting men. Now I know it doesn't just exist HERE in NYC or the DR, but beautiful dark skin women with long hair are a DIME A DOZEN where I'm at. Not every dark skin woman has an attitude. Don't use you ex as a spokesperson for all dark skin black women. How can you make such an assumption when majority of your experimenting has been with light skin women AND when you have NOT dated every dark skin woman in the world?

"By the way my daughter is light skinned with a very exotic look. Now there is no way this woman could produce any child like that."

What? First of all, stop kissing massa's ass. You act as though this is a privilege; to produce "exotic" offspring. Sounds like you have some sort of stereotypical superiority "house nigga" complex.

"I am a cuban/black mix…"

Read a book you coon. What is Cuban and black mix? Cuban is not a race, but an ETHNICITY/NATIONALITY. You can very well be from Cuba and be black (ie. Laz Alonzo/Christina Milian) just like you can be from America, Brazil, London, Nigeria, etc and be black. That's like Naomi Campbell saying she's British and black (WTF?).

"…and I don't get it with dark females."

Trust me "PAPI," with an attitude like that we don't want you EITHER!

Return to the Lord, ask him to forgive you, and really begin to work on your insecurities and pride. Who cares what you, your ex, and your daughter look like…? We all eat, breathe, sleep, love, reproduce, nurture and die. And we're all trying to make it in life. All that "exotic" talk won't matter one bit when you're 6 feet under.

• Liiinda

01/18/2012 at 10:47 PM

…also, you've OBVIOUSLY NEVER EVER been to Cuba or the DR, anywhere in the Caribbean or simply haven't gotten around much in America, where the amount of racial mixing due to slavery, has resulted in admixtures of blacks and has left DARK BLACK WOMEN with the ability to have babies that look like Mariah Carey. Yes, so honey please, SIT.

*Cues the song "Read a Book Nigga."

• Jacklyn

09/19/2014 at 9:31 PM

I always hear people constantly associating being mixed with being exotic. Have you actually read what the definition means? Mixed race is not equivalent to being exotic, Sir. Exotic simply means something outside of the norm, foreign, rare. BLACK WOMEN IN THE U.S.A. FIT ALL THE DESCRIPTION OF WHAT IT MEANS TO BE EXOTIC AND WE DON'T HAVE TO BE MIXED TO BE EXOTIC. You have foreign Black women in the U.S. who are dark skin coming from the Caribbean and Africa–THEY ARE EXOTIC because they are rare, not the norm in the U.S. b/c this country is mostly White, and they are foreign because they come from a different country. A Black woman who is African American is exotic because her ancestors are not indigenous to this country, BW in the U.S. are a minority, not the majority and we are rare b/c we are a minority. Exotic can be technically applied to any person of color in the U.S. regardless if they are mixed race or not, b/c people in the U.S. and even Canada are basically White. A Black woman would even be exotic in Mexico compared to your mixed race child. I, a BW, would be exotic throughout the entire part of North America, Lance. Your daughter would blend in a lot better than I could.

• nia

02/25/2012 at 12:03 PM

they say i look like whoopi cuz im dark skinn nd sometimes i wish i wuz light skinned to feel beautiful

• Loppy

03/16/2012 at 3:25 PM

The problem is if you wanted a relatively fair answer why de fuck use whoopi Goldberg!!! If yu used a pretty dark skinned woman just like yu decided to one of the most gorgeous light women in the world you see How are we suppose to tell white people not to be rascit when there is rascim within our race

• Jacklyn

09/19/2014 at 9:20 PM

You are so wrong! I have seen many sub-Saharan African women with broad noses, full lips, and dark skin that would put Vanessa Williams and Whoopi to shame. Whoopi is not a very attractive woman regardless of her features. Bottom line. And I agree with Linc on this one. I have seen this crap too. They don't use fair comparisons at all.

4. MissZuri

05/27/2011 at 6:43 AM

Wow. I'm glad I'm not alone on this one. I thought the exact same thing while watching the preview. These women do not represent the beautiful dark skin women that I have encountered with or without West African features. Many of those women wouldn't be attractive even if they were the same tone as Vanessa Williams and had blue eyes.

Black folks have serious issues with skin color that do not get addressed. The bias within our own communities is ridiculous and teaches a vast majority of our children self hate (as seen with the little girl picking the white child over the black as pretty and smart). Both sides get it though. Either you are too black and therefore ugly or you are too light and cannot claim your "blackness." I grew up in the Midwest thinking that I was brown or dark skin (depending on the person). I remember distinctly how unattractive I felt compared to the lighter girls with longer hair. When I went to college down south, I was light skin or red bone and there were a separate set of assumptions made about me and my general attractiveness.

Do black men have the same experiences? I have not seen dark skin men get "he's fine for a dark skin guy" statements. There seems to be a preference for dark skin men over light skin.

5. ChloeRayne516

05/27/2011 at 9:24 AM

*smh*

It's a shame in 2011 "The Plantation Syndrome" still exist in our community amongst ourselves but the sad truth is that this light skin vs. Dark skin thing is something often times taught in the homes/thru family members during childhood believe it or not, moreso among caribbeans.

My ex-motherinlaw has a light skin better than dark skin fixation, see is foreva making jokes telling one of her 6 granddaughters that she better not bring a darkie home because otherwise her babies will come out dark since she is of a brown complexion but she tells mu daughter her and her other cuz could bring home whoever since they both light. O_____o

I notice lately my daughter has been on this when I grew up I'm only dating spanish or light skin guys, no dark guys — I was infuriated when she told me that and her excuse was exactly what this thread is about. #She'sAworkInProgress. But I'm handling that.

• The_Mad_HATER

05/27/2011 at 12:45 PM

how are you handling your daughter??!

• ChloeRayne516

05/27/2011 at 1:32 PM

By constantly telling her that her trini grandma way of thinking is wrong and black skin no matter what the shade is beautiful, she's listening I just hope she really takes it all in. But like i said alot of this color bias mess does get started on the homefront.

• The_Mad_HATER

05/27/2011 at 2:27 PM

better take that belt out and regulate!!

6. Jae

05/27/2011 at 10:49 AM

Damnit, man. My sister said this exact thing yesterday and I was like "damn don't say that" …but it's true lol

I see it all the time in forums & blogs with this discussion. Whoopi ALWAYS comes up and I don't get why. Can we get a Kelly Rowland? Tika Sumpter? Naomi Campbell (in her hey day)? That's like comparing a rotten apple and a brand new just ripened orange. Yes, I'm gonna pick the orange because you presented me with a shitty apple.

In regards to the video, being dark skin, clearly I related to it. I was very aware at a young age that being dark was like a strike against me as a female.

The little girl saying the white child is prettier and smarter broke my heart & reminded me of my younger cousin who I've HEARD say she wishes she was white so she can be pretty like her best friend. Ugh.

• ChloeRayne516

05/27/2011 at 11:48 AM

" Can we get a Kelly Rowland? Tika Sumpter? Naomi Campbell (in her hey day)? That's like comparing a rotten apple and a brand new just ripened orange. Yes, I'm gonna pick the orange because you presented me with a shitty apple"

Thank You!!!

How you gonna put whoopi up against vanessa and expect a different outcome (win in her favor) o__o that choice was tooo easy.

05/27/2011 at 1:30 PM

Don't forget Lanisha Cole, Bria Myles, and Natasha Ellie they are seeeexyyy

7. Uhuru

05/27/2011 at 11:20 AM

I would like to point out that this didn't start with dark skin being "hated" on. It's been scientifically proven that darker skin is genetically superior to lighter skin. For the longest time Albino babies have been looked at as cursed within the continent of Africa and have had to flee for their life. That still goes on to this day. My perspective is it's almost like a reversal of roles. Since all races can be traced back to a beautiful dark skinned woman. Beauty is Beauty no matter the shade.

• The_Mad_HATER

05/27/2011 at 12:49 PM

if africa is the cradle of civilization and black people are originally african then arent all races a form of black people??

8. SMilez_920

05/27/2011 at 12:06 PM

One question.. Why are'nt dark skin men being put under the same fire as Dark skin women. I hear women yell about wanting a chocolate man all the time. While i agree ppl have the right to like whatever they like ie (if he likes light skin girls let him rock ) I dont agree with it if it come from igronance like light is right. Also i agree with everyone you cant compare Whoopi to Vaneesa they are in 2 different leagues. Now You should have picked Gabieral Union , she's hot.

(Im light and my mothers dark so either way I never thought one was prettier than the other )

9. Drgray91

05/27/2011 at 12:10 PM

As I sit at work sighing heavily and rubbing my temples, I can't help but to think racial bias is in the same boat as every other type of bias. Gender bias, sex bias, weight bias, wealth bias, education bias, hair length bias… I could easily go on, but do you see where I'm going? It's petty. All of it. I'm waiting on the moment when we can stop dwelling on bullshit. The people that are out here with those biases are NOT phased by the fact that you're feelings are hurt, or that now you're emotionally broke and don't value yourself, skills, abilities or talents. Why? Because now they can take advantage of your weak ass and keep livin how they're living, they might watch this movie, may even through a smile at you every now and again will their minds be moved? With their spirits be changed and biases lifted. I DOUBT IT. BUT WHO THE HELL CARES?

I've been reading a lot of Niezsche lately, if you couldn't tell.

*shrugs* I'm dark skinned, I grew up around all white people where I was the only black person for miles… you know how that made me feel? Special as fuck. My parents always stressed self value and right to opinions. There were some awkward developmental years that made me weak enough to compare myself everything (lighter girls included) but I had no intention of jumping in a vat of bleach so why dwell and trouble myself with. I heard lil wayne say he doesn't like dark skinned ladies, that's cool. I still hop around like a coon to some of his music. Black girls are ugly you say? Ah, you think so? Ole dude in the vid thinks we look weird? He ain't met me though.

I'm more than just singular attributes, I'm a beautiful composition. I don't care if you like pizza and I like cheeseburgers, we can still eat together. I'd rather sit here and let you see how this fire this pizza is and have you wonder than to let it get cold as I try and change your mind about it.

…and with that it is quite clearly lunch time. (:

• The_Mad_HATER

05/27/2011 at 12:50 PM

are you saying some of the girls in the video need to man up and be tougher about their circumstances?!

• Drgray91

05/27/2011 at 1:31 PM

No no, lol. *smiles*

It's a tad challenging to convey my message but I'll try…

People everywhere have confused attributes (grammatically speaking) for circumstances.

Circumstance: A condition that determines or must be considered in the determining of a course of action.
        Attribute (Grammar): A word or phrase that is syntactically subordinate to another and serves to limit, identify, particularize, describe, or supplement the meaning of the form with which it is in construction. i.e In the red house, red is an attribute of house.

Ex. I am dark skinned. This is an attribute, a mere description. I don't make decisions based on my black-ness. Therefore it is not a circumstance.

Attributes are arbitrary identification tools. They provide a description of what I am, but not who I am. I am not blond hair. I am not brown skin. I am not 4'8. I am not grey eyes.

Problem: People over value extrinsic factors, when in essences what real purpose do they serve?
        Solution: Start by changing what attributes you draw importance to. Realize your race is an attribute, but by thinking that it defines who you are intrinsically, you've created a circumstance.

Copy? *smiles brightly*

• ATLienSince82

05/27/2011 at 1:35 PM

Real talk

05/27/2011 at 2:36 PM

"Realize your race is an attribute, but by thinking that it defines who you are intrinsically, you've created a circumstance."

LOVE THIS, completely agree

05/27/2011 at 8:15 PM

…you would because it is half-baked sophistry.

race is not a random "attribute" but the product of history. you and the one-handed bandit failed to realise that the rendering of race an attribute has meaning only because of the history you are choosing to overlook. so, race as a concept, and one's experience does certainly effect one's thinking, claim that it doesn't likely means that you've tricked yourself out of seeing how it does.

and, or, making decisons based on race isn't the sole bastion of want to be black panthers but the neo-colour blinders and post-racialites are just as racial as the wanne-be angela davises.

05/27/2011 at 8:43 PM

"…you would because it is half-baked sophistry. "

Negro you don't know me

• MistaHarsh

05/27/2011 at 10:18 PM

did you have to use the N word? sheeeeesh!

05/27/2011 at 10:36 PM

We're not allowed to say negro now! Why didn't I get the memo?

05/28/2011 at 11:51 AM

oh, but i do.

• Drgray91

05/28/2011 at 1:17 AM

I see what you're trying to say, I really do… and if you want you can continue.

But riddle me this, where does that leave us? Where does that leave the young girl in the video who, (bless her dear heart) will also receive her "history" lesson. This is not about knowing our history. This is about reconstructing our value system. Changing our thought process.

History may have started using attributes, but people that associate race with anything more than a distinct species population have made it something it needn't be.

If your race effects your thinking, I apologize. It doesn't effect mine, why should it? How does it? Why allow it? Na, homie it's you that's been tricked, you can't change something that your very thinking perpetuates.

Lupe told me not to, but I did it anyway…

#dumbitdown

#seewhatIdidthere…one handed at that. *winks*

05/28/2011 at 11:51 AM

are you really going to use the little girl's self-hate as ballast for your superficial foolishness? you going to show me some pics of bloated belly african kids next?

what betrays you is that you are assuming that one must, necessarily, view blackness and black history as negative and or lacking. that certainly is not the case.

what about those who made their history what they needed it to be? or look at, being black and the global history of black people, as not something superior or inferior but unique and rich, and so when they see black skin see an attribute that signals that feeling?

there are children that little girl's age who, because of how they were raised and what they were exposed to and when, don't have a self-hate reflex that they don't notice then have to spend their adult lives rationalising. simple fact is no child – regardless of "race" – should have to grow up having to confront the idea that they are innately inferior. your cutesy skinny jeans sophistry does nothing to address that fact, and does nothing to help that little girl who is exposed to messages of racial inferiority, even as people say that "race doesn't matter" and "you can be what you want to be" (basically the less refined versions of your sophistry).

your kind of thinking makes it easier for her to be subjected to the things that you yourself have done a poor job of actually dealing with. that the senseless afri-can't agrees with you should have been a warning.

"history may have started"? stop. what?! are you kidding me? lol, you might as well have just said "once upon a time". lol, you are the first person here to actually dumb it up: using concepts – basic ones – in a way that shows that you have no idea what they mean. i'll not get into the complexities of how historians think about history with you, but no body has thought the same way about "race" for more than 3 weeks – or knows precisely when race history "started". given that the idea changes, we can make it what it "needs to be" which isn't "non-existent" or a "skin glaze that does affect my thinking at all suh, no suh" like you have.

if anything, apologize for YOUR tangled cutesy, silliness. and have you forgotten who i am? or do you secretly wish have to say "look ma, no hands?" you claim to be dabbling in philosophy, yet the stridency of your claim ignores THE basic epistemological question of: how does one account for what they don't know?

the statement that something doesn't affect your thinking can only be hollow – and foolish – in multiple ways. as i explained, any experience or idea affects a person's thinking. race is both an idea and an experience. race has structured our collective reality and history itself. the mind is shaped by the conversation with those things. thinking, an activity of the mind, then is affected by that reality (and vice versa). race affects your thinking even as you think it doesn't. in fact, gray, we are having this conversation BECAUSE of race. granted there is little thought that goes into your responses, but you by participating in the conversation – or even "understanding" the english language – have undermined the main premise of your "argument". quite unremarkably, you FAIL to notice that race, as you read these words, is affecting your thinking. so, the notion that just by an act of will, you can control all that your brain processes – and how – is just the prelude to delusion. one that is just cutesy, post-racialite sophistry. amusing though.

oh yes, and listen to lasers. lupe certainly thinks that race affects his thinking, see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71McnVwWPwU but i suppose you will now choose to make him no longer exist because his blackness affects your reality or decision to quote him. lol. keep dumbing it up, gray.

• Drgray91

05/28/2011 at 12:28 PM

All of what you said, all of what you ever say, is nothing more than pompous, hallowed out jargon (which, is all inherently flawed)

I have studied enough philosophical concepts and historical premises long enough to know that it will all be for not unless you can make a real world application. AND THAT is something that you are unable to do.

Please do not make the mistake of confusing my ability to distill and boil down complex and challenging ideology and make it something that is easy for the everyday individual to understand and relate to. You see, young one, when you advance further into your studies… if that's something you're even doing, (I've come to the conclusion you hover over wikipedia stringing together looseball arguments in between shifts at McDonalds), you would realize that the leadership and being an effective catalyst for change requires that people are actively engaged and listening to what you are saying AND that they can believe and trust its purpose.

With that, I ask, what exactly do you advocate? You can sit behind your little Toshiba and try to out smart me, but rest assure I am not fazed. I too was once unsure of my own knowledge and thought that I would try and "outdo" everyone with my wide base of knowledge but one day I realized… what good does that do anyone? Furthering the dialog does not mean leaving people behind, because everyone doesn't study philosophy like I (and questionably, you) do, and that is okay. Furthering the dialog means being able to engage EVERYONE in it.

It is the job of a leader to understand the nature and conditions of the souls of men, and to take action accordingly. (Plato-paraphrased)

p.s Because I'm certain you know not the rules of debate, allow me, a college debate victor (shameless plug) guide you. Your most immediate response should ONLY be an answer to my question that you've failed twice now to present. If not? #lookmanohands it is, because this debate is over.

05/28/2011 at 1:16 PM

you've not addressed any of the points i raised. and, really your posts are effectively more pompous and hollow than mine. you pretend politeness but are smilingly arrogant. and, rather than actually think and counter, use a child's mental sickness a shield and leverage. that's weak. rubbing your temples yet, gray?

who said anything about leadership? this is just you changing the topic to something you think will think will give you some, maybe moral, advantage without you having to actually address my points. how do you account for what you don't know? and, relatedly, why base a system of perception and belief on what you can't at all prove? you've done that. loudly. and that's why i call it foolishness.

now, as for leadership, advocacy and listening, i outlined just how people who deal with children – or those with child's minds – can go about changing their own racial realities and perceptions. or what a goal might be. but, you overlooked that to come up with more cutesy, superficial nonsense.

and, gray, a debate is specifically trying to out do people (that's how you became a victor, no?). that's what you tried to do here with me – and everyone else – until you pulled up lame, choking on my dust. now you want to hobble along the high road.

i'm very capable of dialogue, but i reserve it for those who don't seem self-righteously committed to sophistry and intellectual tricks instead of actual work. i revile sloth, will continue to make examples of such types and laugh heartily as they spiral off into idiocy and irrelevance once they get tested. raise both hands if you know what i'm talking about, gray. you know like in victory?

plato? how do you know that's NOT (snicker) what i'm doing? and as far as leadership goes, i'll take my cues from sun-tzu (see the allegory of the concubine army for more insight as to what i'm doing here). "most immediate response" is not a rule, but a strategy. not a particularly effective one, or one you take seriously since you've not lead by example. also, you overlooked the fact that i did answer your questions.

real talk though, you should lynch who ever taught you philosophy or critical thinking. you've yet to realise that you made the rookie mistake of basing your claim on an unprovable assertion. even wikipedia would warn you of the basic impossibility of proving an abstract negative (i.e., "my thinking is NOT influenced by race"). this can not be fact, but just opinion – one that can't be supported without resorting to outright foolishness or bending the rules of evidence. also, in place of sound argument you make personal claims that are as meaningless as they are unprovable. that's doubly foolish. ridiculousness to the power of dumb. by now it is obvious to anyone with sense that while i might be an asshole, you don't know what you are doing: you're a pretender, gray.

despite your cutesy arrogance, the fact that i think you ignorant is what actually endears you to me. had you demonstrated in any instance real knowledge of philosophical thought but put out this poor girl turned sophicate vapidity, you'd get a very different, much more intense, reaction. i'd think you'd be purposely be trying to mislead people and dumb down things down. but, if that is your intention – despite lupe's plea – i've still helped you by showing folks just how dumb your views are and what real thought looks like.

you ought to give me a hand, lol.

• Jason Howe

05/27/2011 at 5:26 PM

this one right here.. she going places. lol

• The_Mad_HATER

05/27/2011 at 5:36 PM

i might have a poked condom with her name on it!

05/27/2011 at 8:16 PM

this…this was special.

• Drgray91

05/28/2011 at 1:31 AM

Nah, nah, boo.

I'm celibate, abstinent, catholic, and I only use 100% baby lamb skin condoms…on the last tuesday of every month!!!

lol *bats eyelids innocently* You were saying?

05/28/2011 at 7:12 PM

add "vow of silence" to that.

05/28/2011 at 12:15 PM

oh yeah, where? hopefully some place where she can get some learnin'.

05/27/2011 at 8:09 PM

you were listening to indiarie today weren't you.

• ddddddd

05/28/2011 at 1:41 AM

Wicked.

10. imakesense

05/27/2011 at 12:49 PM

I'm so fucking tired of this topic…

• AfricanQueen

05/27/2011 at 1:01 PM

I agree, but it still has to be addressed as it affects our children in such a horrible manner.

11. imakesense

05/27/2011 at 12:52 PM

All the women in the video are ugly except the one who's mom said she would be beautiful with lighter skin. Which I add is an effed up thing to say about your child.

*Kanye Shrug*

• ATLienSince82

05/27/2011 at 1:37 PM

Rise, fugly girls, rise?!

05/27/2011 at 1:54 PM

lmaoooooo!

• James

05/09/2012 at 1:05 PM

The one in the hat was pretty too.

12. imakesense

05/27/2011 at 12:54 PM

LOOL

13. AfricanQueen

05/27/2011 at 1:02 PM

*throws hands up and do a joy dance* lol heeeyyy giiiirl!

14. Tinfoilicecream

05/27/2011 at 1:31 PM

Btw I had this question, but forgot to ask it.

Why is the presumptuous tone of this article, that whoopi is less attractive than the photoshopped to death photo of vanessa okay? But the article regarding black women being seen as less attractive not okay?

I mean in reality that article made more sense, because 1. most of the world prefers lighter skin, seeing as how Asia is the largest continent on the planet – and the majority of the countries there have a huge skin bleaching market, and 2. some of the more overpopulated countries in East Asia have eyelid surgery seen as normal as a kid getting braces, and 3. Most of the world doesn’t have nappy kinky hair, not to mention the fact that when black women wear weaves they wear a totally different texture than their own.

What facts does this presumptuous article have that backs up the tone of whoopi being less attractive than vanessa besides the fact that vanessa is closer to eurocentric beauty than whoopi? Her features are slimmer, her skin is lighter, and her hair is straight – plus the enhanced blue eyes. Those are her features, Linc your features look like Whoopi’s to me. Big lips, dark skin, nappy hair, wide unrefined nose, full features overall.

So you find those features that whoopi (and yourself) have less attractive than Vanessa’s? Or you believe that women shouldn’t have those features? Even though asian, white, hispanic, ect. women and men typically share similar features, so it only makes sense for black women and men to share similar features aswell.

• The_Mad_HATER

05/27/2011 at 4:16 PM

if you really think whoopi goldberg is in the class of tika sumnter and bria myles you are on coke!

being pro black doesnt mean being blind!! and the fact is you arent even pro black youre just some wannabe grandgryph trying to make sense out of nonsense! im done reading your bullshit!

05/27/2011 at 8:06 PM

you know hater, i'm going to take that as a compliment.

05/27/2011 at 8:05 PM

enhanced?

05/27/2011 at 8:53 PM

You're analysis on Whoopi's fugliness isn't true. It's just how her features play together. Case in point Oluchi, Alek Wek, and Lauryn Hill.

They are beautiful and have full features but they play together better on their face, plus they have a more attractive head size and shape overall, as well as symmetry to their face.

Plus Whoopi is fat, has some big buck teeth, and looks aged, it has nothing to do with her full features.

• MistaHarsh

05/27/2011 at 11:04 PM

Don't knock The Whoop. She was The Sheit in Jumpin' Jack Flash

Oluchi is my girl nice choices.

• poetess

11/20/2011 at 3:38 PM

Don't dance around it, Whoopi is ugly. But you're right, her fuller features don't matter in the equation. Lauryn Hill is an excellent example of a dark and beautiful woman. Alek Wek is OK, imho, but also much better looking than Whoopi.

Whoopi is not and has never been even cute. She's homely and always has been and has never had leading lady status.

05/27/2011 at 9:03 PM

And no he shouldn't want some one with the same features as his. His features are masculine so if they are identical to Whoopi's then she has masculine features too.

I would think he would be attracted to someone with similar features to his, but more feminine. I don't think he wants to look at his own face when having sex with a girl missionary style.

15. ATLienSince82

05/27/2011 at 1:37 PM

Mayne I ain't tryin to go to black hell, but when that bald female was crying about how dudes would love her behind doors but not want to walk around with her in public…I had a hard time believing that was because she was dark..i think its because she looks like a retired boxer..

I'm sorry yawl I know I got gasoline draws on..

05/27/2011 at 1:55 PM

Black hellll hahahahahah! You're killing me boooo.

I thought she was a man 1 min. into her talking

• Kam

05/27/2011 at 8:12 PM

Me too lol. I had to keep reminding myself that, that was a women speaking. I don't think her not having a boyfriend in public has anything to do with being dark

• Adrian

05/30/2011 at 9:55 PM

Lol! I thought she was a man, too!

• KemaVA

05/27/2011 at 2:03 PM

I thought she was a lesbian. lol!

• MistaHarsh

05/27/2011 at 10:22 PM

reads "…retired boxer…"

*CHOKED with TEARS*

• Andia

07/15/2011 at 7:26 AM

LOOOOOOOOOOL

• ddddddd

05/28/2011 at 1:43 AM

LMFAOOOOOOOOOO

05/29/2011 at 3:01 PM

HA! Hysterical!

16. TubOfGoo

05/27/2011 at 2:05 PM

@whoever brought up kelly R. and naomi…sorry reply button wasn’t working for me.

Kelly and Naomi, two women who are damn near bald with nasty edges under their cheap wannabe barbie weaves and wigs. One ….actually no, both, who have had nose jobs…and one who thinks it’s cute to blue tacky blue contacts (naomi on her off days).

How typical, lol. The more eurocentric the ‘darkie’ looks, the more attractive she is. That is why you have the ‘pretty for a dark skinned girl” dark skinned girls, and then those that are cursed with the features blacks all over have to see in the mirror, wide unrefined nose, thick dark lips, overall fuller features, ect.

You men on here have such generic taste, but I can’t blame you for it. I can’t blame whitey for it either though since I doubt most white men like you having a prefence for women that look more like white women.

• Independent Woman

05/27/2011 at 2:08 PM

Before you spew your anti-black bullshit, please state facts about what constitute Eurocentric attributes you ignoramus…

• ddddddd

05/28/2011 at 1:49 AM

AMEN!!

• The_Mad_HATER

05/27/2011 at 2:28 PM

so what the fuck should black men want to fuck then?? give us some examples with your self righteous ass!

• Bobby Minkus

10/12/2011 at 11:30 AM

17. TubOfGoo

05/27/2011 at 2:10 PM

I have to add though; it is very sad to see that the only black women seen as attractive have to have more eurocentric features. It’s even sadder to see blacks thinking like white people when you mention features you automatically go to hair, eyes, and skin ton. When it’s your wide nose, thick lips, skin, ect. and every feature that shows the world that you AREN’T white – that most of you hate. It’s not like things that you can change if you want to (like your hair).

I guess most of you aren’t willing to admit that though. Anyways there is hope for you darkies out there, just go get yourself a nose job, DON’T be thick, fat or curvy, basically anything that anyone could consider ‘fat’ – and you better put some concealer on those thick negro lips of yours, and you already know to cover those naps up. LOL

You will be at the ‘pretty for a dark skinned girl’ level then. But you’ll always be second best, to the Alicia Keys, Tyra Banks, Kyla Pratt prototypes.

• AfrikanQueen

05/27/2011 at 3:28 PM

*Katt Willaims voice* WTF is you talmbout??? You need more people booboo!!! lol

• She She

05/28/2011 at 12:17 AM

I honestly think you have some personal issues that you have to sift through, and are just using this blog as a way to vent out your own insecurities.

I could be wrong
      xox!

• ddddddd

05/28/2011 at 2:06 AM

OKAY SO…. dark skin females want more black men to consider dark skin women as beautiful n not ugly (according to the video)… and when black men say "i find these dark skin women attractive *lists women such as kelly rowlan etc etc.." all of a sudden its "oh its because they have white/eurocentric features" … REALLY?! are we really nitpicking?! because i feel like at some point, people have a preference….. they will either be attracted to someone or they wont… what youre going to condemn every black man that finds a dark skin woman with a slim nose, straight hair and thin lips beautiful saying that he "hates actual black features"? because at the end of the day, if youre skin is black or has black in it… YOURE BLACK in some way shape or form… the ancestry n blood makes you black not the facial features..the "race" has too much mix in it to try and do that without discrediting someones beauty by sayin "oh he only thinks that dark skin woman is beautiful because she has the features of a white woman or that she has such and such a race mixed in her ancestry that black men have been brainwashed to appreciate over "true black features".. SMFH

were ALL black. light or dark, slim or big nose. full or thin mouth, straight.long/short/thick or thin hair/ thin or curvey…

if you start judging people's preference of beauty based on "how much white the man finds in them to be attracted to" you're destroying the race even WORSE than what people say about "dark skin women being ugly" ..you're discrediting the beauty of the black race in its entirety because the black race itself is s a complex and exotic mosaic by basically saying that the only reason black men find light skin or mixed women beautiful is because they resemble massas wife or women of other races more than the darker skin women.

Yes, the construction of race itself has had negative implications for black people and YES historically darker skin people have had it worse in this society where standards of beauty are concerned… but we should be more concerned with UPLIFTING these women who feel that they arent beautiful, not tearing down alll the other women around them or the dark women who are considered "beautiful" over the others

• Taylor

06/04/2011 at 5:47 PM

people are always so into sterotypes, not all dark black girls are bald. I happen to have long soft silkish hair to the middle of my back. My hair is so pretty that people have came up to me asking am i mix or is it weave. Also my whole mom side of the fmily is creole, all light skinned with pretty hair and they think dark skin is so beautiful. Matter fact all 7 of my bright uncles are married to dark black women. My light cousin even think light girls are ugly for some strange reason. For some reason the dark men arent in this situation, dark guys are more desirble than light men(I like both but usually go for light)

• Taylor

06/04/2011 at 6:07 PM

So what im saying is dont try to act like dark girls arent diserable. Ive had white guys, asian and many other races like me!! They like my curvy body which white women would die for. They love my full lips which many actors pay for(angelina jolie, i love her tho shes lik one of my ideals). I wont lie ive had guys that i know say they had a bad yellow bone and favor bright girls but i could still get them to be attracted to me a darky! Im find that im dark and i dnt need a tan to get there. Also beauty is not defied, there are many kind. As sad as it to say im african american and always thought africans were ugly due to sterotypes. but im wrong ive seen some gourgeous exotic ones. Also i have seen brigth females with african features, and dark girls with white girl features.

• Taylor

06/04/2011 at 6:13 PM

The media is the main stream of this light skin is better then dark scin mess because they choose not to show many dark beautys. Oh also tubofgoo or wateva the hell ur name is, u say we no how to cover thos naps. Dont be so ignorant, i now u havent forgot that not to many years ago curly hair was the thing and your precious white women got perms to make there hair curly, also ive noticed white ppl usualy dont have lips.Also to any white women reading this no offense i have nothing against you, i was just using you as an example. Your wrong some darkies look better than Alicia it just depends on your features not your color)to anyone who think im racist im not i love all cultures and are attractive to all as well~ a confidence 17 yr darkie living in a white neighborhood :)

18. TubOfGoo

05/27/2011 at 4:47 PM

The class? First of all, what class? Bria is a cheap whore. And Tika is some horrid actress on Gossip girls (that’s the kinda shit you’re on? lmao)

Anyhow as far as their looks, both of them facially wise have more refined features than Whoopi, they are younger, and darker. Both also wear cheap fake ass wigs and weaves that are a complete turn around from the naps they have under those barbie wigs.

So is that the defining factor that makes them more attractive? you simply don’t get it, no matter how many famous, somewhat average/normal dark skinned black women you can list, I can list eurocentric reasons that you find them attractive. I may be wrong, but it wont stop me from listing them obviously. lol

What is it you find unattractive about whoopi? Her features are: thick full lips, unrefined wide nose, dark brown skin, high cheek bones, natural texture in tact, but with manipulated dreadlocks for style, almond shaped brown eyes.

These features are unattractive to you? I get it that most of you despite having the same features as whoopi (esp. linc with his black ass and giant ass nose, ROFL) are into the glam, hollyskank look, with the long greasy looking wannabe white girl weave, and so on. But if you wanted to make a point in listing women darker than whoopi I must have missed it.

It would have been better for you to note someone in the ranks of Yaya Decosta perhaps, though her features are more refined to please Eurocentric standards – atleast she doesn’t have a tacky barbie wig/weave attached to her head 24/7.

05/27/2011 at 8:57 PM

Refined features do not equal Eurocentric features. There are Africans all over Africa born with refined features so why not call them Afrocentric?

If any of the girls brought up were to rock their naps they would still look beautiful.

And yes those who look youthful are more beautiful than those who look old get over it.

05/28/2011 at 12:05 PM

"refined"? what kind of language are you all using? how is that thinking any less racist?

05/28/2011 at 1:06 PM

I'm just using the language she used

05/28/2011 at 1:31 PM

do better.

05/28/2011 at 3:34 AM

• Logical

02/29/2012 at 9:37 AM

You are a very sad, unhappy, insecure, biased, uneducated individual, who like most most of the ones on this post ENVY US DARK, BEAUTIFUL BLACK WOMEN. This is whole topic is dedicated to us DARK SISTAS!!!! Thanks for all the attention, TUB OF GLOB!!!!

• Franklypissed

03/16/2012 at 3:56 PM

You know what horrible excuse for a person I'm black mkay?? Thicklipped small waisted big ass dark skin I'm Proud and I don't fucking need some nxt level asshole who says all of us darks want long hair fake weaves and shit!! THE IMAGE OF THE STANDARD BLACK GIRL IS SOME NEXT LEVEL UGLY WHORE WITH FAKE WEAVES AND CONTACTS …..I had longer even longer than my light friends but everytime I walked some insignificant bitch like you ask if it was a really good weave Can you blame all dark skins that our image has been ruined by some ugly Hoodrats Bitch Grow the Fuck up Maybe if you have some insecurities fucking share them but not like this you media eating whore!!! If I was light I would say the same thing sooo grow u!!

19. Blaximus

05/27/2011 at 6:08 PM

I guess because my grandmother was sooooo colorstruck, I don't have the same opinions about my dark skinned sisters. I always found my grandmother's comments to be wildly insane. My family is a rainbow of shades, from super brite to midnite black, and everybody was always " family " to me.

IMO, we black people have something no other race can claim – a stunning variety in our people, and that goes DOUBLE for our sisters.

Most of us have our own ideas of what constitutes " beauty ", but we should be ever mindful of letting others set our bar for us.

I love our women in all shapes, sizes and hues. I'm happy that there is a resurgence in " natural " hairstyles because I personally find black hair ( for lack of a better term ) wonderfull.

SMH, we are sooooo hard on ourselves when all of us are closer to God than any one else on earth.

Oh, and for the record, I used to have a lil crush on Whoopi about 20 years ago. LOL. I dug her. Loved her dreads, skin tone, voice…the whole 9. Her sense of humor nailed it for me.

05/28/2011 at 5:31 PM

you had me until here:

05/27/2011 at 10:35 PM

@TubOfGoo

Do you realize that in your miscalculated attempt to support dark skin women everywhere you are the ONLY ONE making derogatory remarks about them?

I want you to step down from your post as the spokesperson of dark skin women effective IMMEJEEATELY.

21. taryn

05/28/2011 at 1:03 AM

@mistaharsh
    " i can still list eurocentric things why you find her beautiful"
    i feel like the same thing as saying shes pretty for a darkskin girl like you have to find some reason why shes beautiful she cant just simlpy be a beautiful girl i definately understand were u were going with your point but it kinda bothered me when i read that just thought id put it out there

and i think i need to do my own documentary and represent the beautiful darkskin women i see every day no offence but there could have been more of a variety of beautiful darkskin women i dont think they had a good repesentaion im a little upset

• ddddddd

05/28/2011 at 2:14 AM

exactly what i thought!! as soon as someone lists a dark skin girl they find attractive its because of eurocentric features? that terrible! how are you going to discredit someone's beauty by basically saying "she got lucky because she didnt get the *list socalled negative "true black features" here* SMH.

• MistaHarsh

05/28/2011 at 11:39 AM

I never said those words. I'm not sure what you are referring to.

I like beautiful women of all shapes, colours, tones, and sizes and have proudly dated them all.

05/28/2011 at 12:07 PM

there are men who'll date all kinds of women, but shade and hair texture determines what kind of treatment that person receives. colourism isn't just about "exclusion"

• MistaHarsh

05/28/2011 at 9:23 PM

lol

My treatment of women I date, befriend or ANYONE I spend time with for that matter isn't determined by shade or hair texture.

I don't care to question your theory about colourism but it does not apply to me.

05/28/2011 at 9:26 PM

fair enough

05/28/2011 at 1:06 PM

She was agreeing with you she just worded it weird

• MistaHarsh

05/28/2011 at 9:29 PM

I dunnooooo, she paraphrased tubofgoo I'm thinking she put my name there by mistake

22. grandgryph

05/28/2011 at 6:07 PM

i don't really know what the point of a documentary with a bunch of dark-skinned women whining and mythologising about feeling unpretty is really going to add to this centuries old debate. really, i think it'd be better for all of use to examine "beauty" itself.

beauty is a very subjective thing. cleopatra was considered beautiful and, according to some historians, she was fat, black and near bald. many of the women we fawn over in today's world, or the bony women white women who dominated the nineties, would be considered "meh" material at best in other places and times. "beauty", as evidenced by the history and the constantly re-iterated – not just colour – but ancestry biases, is a social construct. so many want to de-construct, or bury, "race", but leave other arguably more toxic constructs in tact. odd.

also, while there are some stats to show "good-looking" people have social benefits, there is plenty of data and anecdotal evidence to show that they – particularly women – suffer by being thought physically attractive. for a number of reason, they are more likely to be "sexualised" at an early age and/or subjected to unwanted attention (from males and females) that they don't really know how to manage – or shapes their realities in ways that aren't always "constructive". sex icon pam grier talks about it her biography and how being seen as so beautiful helped make her emotionally damaged and alienated even before she got famous. so it is not all roses. yet, women clamour for it – and define themselves by it. their obsession with "physical beauty" is really an obsession with status and acceptance; and so, in my mind, is an articulation of mental weakness. most often, men's obsession with female "physical beauty" is a sort of controlling psychological cruelty.

things would be better if we de-emphasied physical beauty as a signifier of what is true and good. we should challenge – or at least question – exclusionary beauty standards (such as those linked to color/ancestry). i think that there has been some movement in this regard: the desirability of women queen latifah, j-lo, bria myles – or the countless other dark-skinned women african and south asian – show that there are more ways for a woman to be considered good looking these days. i think that is good.

but the better development is if we were able to limit the worth beauty adds to a woman's worth and that women didn't value themselves so intently on the reactions that they their physical appearance can provoke.

• Gordan

05/29/2011 at 2:37 PM

Grandgryph, create a blog you have lot to say, but manage to successfully keep your opinions out of your points. It seems u simply reflect the truth. and im impressed. People, like him or hate him. But with everything he says he leaves you to make a choice: think more of what truth he has shown, or be a coward, deny the glimpse he has provided to you of what is, and roll over and bask in your own ignorance and accept that u prefer to keep things flawed. for the uncontrolled truth scares you. Your choice. Thanks for keeping my young mind a little more actively, and independently thinking, and questioning things. #creditwhereitsdue

05/29/2011 at 2:58 PM

and that's what it's really about, gordo. thank you.

05/30/2011 at 9:33 PM

OH PUH-LEEEEZ

05/29/2011 at 2:55 PM

"but the better development is if we were able to limit the worth beauty adds to a woman's worth"

Please Explain This Sentence..

05/29/2011 at 2:58 PM

Hilarious!

24. grandgryph

05/29/2011 at 3:10 PM

we (both males and females) over-value women's physical appearance. i think physical attractiveness, however defined, will always play a role in social interact. but right now, it gets too much attention and we associate it with the wrong things. people invest so much in looks because there is some truth to the notion that looks help you get ahead in the world. but, i think that emphasis retards human development and blinds us to a lot of potentials, particularly for women because they are constantly judged by their beauty and so invest so much – emotionally and financially – into it.

25. Bluetooth

05/30/2011 at 8:34 AM

This article is complete crap. Why can't a man NOT be attracted to a women of a certain skin color and that just be it? Why the Self-Hate rant? Women discriminate in dating ALL THE TIME and for reasons that the men they don't fancy cannot control! What about Short Men? Something like 95% of women would not date a man shorter than them unless they were completely flawless! Just like you have women rushing to the pharmacy to bleach their skin, you have loads of men rushing off to China and Russia to have their legs broken to expand their dating pool and become more attractive. Just like how women go on dating websites and clubs and X out all of the men under 5'8 (even the shortest women won't date short men), a Man can look at a group of women and cancel out whichever women he doesn't find attractive, and doesn't need to explain it. If the fattest man in the world at 1200lbs can get married, then there is truly someone for everyone. Quit bitc*hing about dating preferences unless you have absolutely none of your own. Color might be a race, but Short is a group, Genetically Fat is a group and there are many others. GET OVER IT!

05/30/2011 at 9:35 PM

ugh

• ATLienSince82

05/31/2011 at 2:36 PM

Classic response!

26. Adrian

05/30/2011 at 9:46 PM

Or put a pic of Old Vybz Kartel next to New Vybz Kartel lmao!

27. Adrian

05/30/2011 at 10:06 PM

Standing Ovation! Linc, you are the effin MAN! I’ve been saying this sh*t for years, having to debate feverishly just for others to grasp the understanding. Black is beautiful, Yes, Completely! But that doesn't mean every black person is physically above average in appearance.

28. Alex of Liveagl.com

05/31/2011 at 2:47 PM

LMAOOO Comparing Vanessa Williams to Whoopi Goldberg …it doesn't work.

29. Half a HERO

06/03/2011 at 10:59 AM

I dont even look at the face or skin any more! Its all about the azzzzz!

30. 3434343

08/09/2011 at 10:53 PM

black gilrs are fucked !!!!!

31. Precious-Johnson

09/09/2011 at 9:05 AM

when i was young girl I was pretty "colorstruck", but i know realize I was mostly "hair struck". Because I thought Vanessa Bell Calloway was beautiful in All My Children, and any other dark lady with long hair. I never thought Tisha Campbell was beautiful, but then she had short hair, nor did i think Rain Pryor was pretty, but Robin Givens and the other light skin girl on head of the Class where beautiful to me.
    I started to realize it went beyond color for me, when I was a little girl I liked long hair. I also realized I thought fat was pretty when I was young, my idea of beauty was so broad, i thought Nell Carter, Jackee, Florence from the Jeffersons, Vanity, Oprah and Lisa Bonet were all beautiful. The older I became society and music videos began to dictate to me what beauty was.
    For some odd reason as colorstruck as i was i never considered Vanessa Williams pretty, i thought she had ugly hair and ugly skin, and she became Ms. America when I was like 7 years old. So I don't know if I would consider Vanessa Williams prettier than Whoopi, because I do not think Whoopi Goldberg is ugly anymore, over the years listening to her speak I see the beauty inside and out of her.

• poetess

11/20/2011 at 4:11 PM

I had the privilege of meeting Ms. Calloway and she is indeed more gorgeous in the flesh than on the screen. I agree with your assessment of TIsha Campbell. She's the poster child for just because you're light doesn't mean you're cute.

32. Bobby Minkus

10/12/2011 at 11:36 AM

Your reply has such lack of intelligence to back up what has been stated in the article. I do not know whether you are african american or any other race nor do I know your skin tone and etc….Features of the african american race has been looked down upon for a long time now. Yeah I can say that this does go back to slavery days and have a cliche of a response such as it's because of Willie lynch. A mind set is a mind set of one person. If you choose to be brain washed and have a certain way of going about or thinking than that is you. Kelly Rowland and Naomi Campbell do have eurocentric features of have gotten surgery to do so. If this is what they feel will get them farther than as I said before that is them. To call one darkie is an insult. So beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If one thinks lighter is better than that is of that person and if one says the darker the better than that is there take on it. So statistics show that lighter is better, that in most countries lighter skin or fairer skin is better? This maybe true in a sense of how you see it or what you look at in every day life. I find it funny how women today that are brown skinned or more fair as to caramel skinned claim to be light skinned. Light skin would have to be Vanessa Williams while a brown skinned female would be close to Gabriel Union. There is always lighting used on celebs. They are much more darker than they seem. It's unfortunate how much society has convinced people of this separation, to have one another think that being close to caucasion, eurocentric features that everything is ok. To feel superior in a sense. I am glad to be an educated african american or I would end up like the next dark skinned african american female feeling bad about thinking that I am lacking something when I am not. In all honesty I am not shocked to see ignorant and arrogant responses. This is a debate that no one will either win or lose. An opinion is a statement that can not be backed up by supportive information because there is no evidence. Everything on here is an opinion. A post like this is only here to stir up what they know you will put out, hatred against one another for the things you are or look and so on. When the world ends is what I say and will always say because you all will be judged.

33. lulu

10/30/2011 at 4:14 PM

Okay. So I understand what everyone is saying but it's laughable. Lol. My goodness how this topic has fallen. First off this complex came during slavery times, in order to create division between the slaves who beyond all things stood together. So a white slave owner decided to label his slaves. The darker ones would work outside and be called "field slaves", and the lighter ones would work inside and be called "house slaves". The "field slaves" would do the rotten work, spending countless hours in the hot sun, "working them fields". The "house slaves" would do chores and clean after the owners, relatively lesser work. Also, because they worked inside, some would have the opportunity, to learn to read. This created the perfect division between blacks ranking them on appearance, which transcended into education, and eventually beauty. Now, mind you, hair and Eurocentric features had nothing to do with it then.

• lulu

10/30/2011 at 4:15 PM

Continuation:
      Eventually, time passes, the system for labeling lighter and darker slaves works, and better than the slave owners imagined. Not only have they divided the slaves, but the slaves are now dividing themselves. Now the slaves that worked inside began to look down on the slaves that worked outside. The slaves that worked outside hated the slaves that worked inside, jealous of how much better their jobs were, the fact that their jobs provided better shelter than theirs, this began to make them feel inferior. The thought then arose, "I wish I were lighter skinned, so I could work inside".

• lulu

10/30/2011 at 4:15 PM

Continuation:
        Thus the birth of a mentally degrading plague. After many of the slave owners slept with slaves, turning out mixed babies who could pass as whites the plaque only took another sour note (interracial love is great, but the majority of them in the past were raping and not out of love and the child was never a "gift"). The blacks that could now pass as white were doing just that. Degradation takes place, the "I'm not black at all, I'm white". Of course their reasoning is simple, they had an opportunity for a better life, one where no one would hurt or judge them because they "fit in". But this created the "The whiter you look" effect. Basically that means the whiter you look the better life could be, the prettier you were to people, the smarter you were because the opportunities were greater.

• lulu

10/30/2011 at 4:18 PM

Continuation:
          So now here we are living with the stigmas of our ancestors and fighting over whether Whoopi Goldberg is as pretty as Vanessa Williams.
          But the funny part to me is the fact that many seem to think that Whoopi has more "Western African" features compared to Vanessa Williams. If any of you have been to Africa you will learn that we have all types of women there. And many whom are far better looking that Whoopi Goldberg with even more "West African features". I am one of them; at least that's my opinion. I have a round nose, , I have full lips and love them, my hair is naturally wavy so is my dads, and I’m brown, like milk chocolate. West Africa doesn't look like Whoopi Goldberg; trust me I was born there. And people tell my mom she's beautiful all the time. The problem here isn't that the women on the trailer didn't represent a "beautiful" dark skinned woman, the problem is that the black community has allowed themselves to be divided based on skin for so long that they don't know what a beautiful dark skinned woman is, so they need to compare it to lighter skinned woman in order to know.

34. Chanai

11/01/2011 at 2:59 PM

Or You could've done Meagen Good or Raven Symone? Damaris Lewis or Lauren London. I choose Damaris and Meagen Good.

35. DSTGirl

11/07/2011 at 2:51 AM

@lulu none of what you wrote is based on fact. Both light and dark slaves worked in the field as well as the house. Fair skin or not they were all niggas in massa's eyes. The real deciding factors were much more sensible.

Are you good at domestic tasks?
    Do you take orders well?
    Do you put massa's mind at ease? (Most likely not gonna kill him or steal from the house also willing to rat out your fellow slave)
    Then congratulations you get to work in the house. It had NOTHING to do with skin tone!

36. carey

11/12/2011 at 1:10 AM

Black people are still brainwashed by the white man OBVIOUSLY. The only diffrence between a light/dark person, is that the facial features stand out more on lighter complexions. Just because your light does not mean you're PRETTY. The "phrase" "she's pretty to be dark" started in the blk community,Black people keep eachother down. I think black is BEAUTIFUL, just ask all the white women (who spend 100 of thousands of dollars on the same features that make black women so "ugly") what they think. Think about it the most "beautiful" women in the world(based on the media) are white but look at their lips cheekbones ext. They have full lips, fake breasts, which are all things black women have naturally Black is beautiful were just brainwashed to think white is better.

• Nicole

11/12/2011 at 2:15 AM

I so agree with you, I mean seriously we never here about these issues among white people and they are all not the same color in fact what is the purpose of the tanning bed. I think it is cruel that we do not accept all the beauty with in our culture but my grandmother once said…no one started out light skinned you had to originally have a dark skinned women in the equation. I think things like the paper bag test are stupid, the good hair thing is dumn as hell, I am dark, and I were my hair natural…I am proud of who I am completely!

• Lance

12/17/2011 at 1:39 AM

DARK women would get more respect if they didnt act so ghetto. Tell me I am lying.

37. apgifts

11/16/2011 at 12:54 AM

Listed below are links to data on the Historical MYTH
    of a Color-Based / Slave-Role HIERARCHY — as well
    as the Urban LEGEND of Paper-Bag, Blue-Vein and
    Other Allegations of Features-Based Entry 'TESTS':

ONLINE LINEAGE-DISCUSSION GROUPS / COMMUNITIES:

38. XBJ

12/04/2011 at 2:57 AM

I haven’t yet seen the documentary and I hope there are examples of fine dark women, unlike in the preview/trailer.. This is just a more racially centered example of the general ‘acceptance’ movement.. This has been going on for a long time with ‘overweight’ women, for example.. There is a misguided push by bitter feminists to accept ALL women as beautiful no matter what they look like.. It’s an attack against any standards of physical beauty, and any man who happens to find a particular large (or dark) woman unattractive can be dismissed as shallow etc… Ultimately this undermines the entire supposed mission of such movements, by showcasing unattractive people, scolding everyone else for not being aroused by them, and basically throwing a tantrum against reality itself.. We need more “Big CAN BE beautiful” and less “Big IS Beautiful”.. More “Dark Skinned Women Are Often Beautiful” and less “Dark Skinned Women Are Always Beautiful”.. Maybe your professor was unpopular with boys in high-school and chose to blame it 100% on perceived bias against her skin-tone?. Sometimes being ugly is enough of a reason by itself, with no need to factor in preferences in skin tone.. Even Ted Danson would rather bang Beyonce..

39. Pingback: Say it. I Dare You (jr) - Page 1266 - CurlTalk

40. AllPeople (AP) Gifts

12/30/2011 at 11:36 PM

‎.
    Thanks to the racist-'One-Drop Rule' —
    the 'Mixed-Race Face' ("light skin") came
    to symbolize the look of "the new Negro".
    . http://www.flickr.com/photos/vieilles_annonces/32
    (Jet magazine / January 31, 1952)
    . <a href="http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2 Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fvieilles_annonces%2F3014534998%2Fsizes%2Fl%2Fin%2Fphotostream&h=vAQGymnZjAQH4BcobBe7oVM3YBQolWStvSQn4nCLD_2QVsQ” target=”_blank”>http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2 <a h…” target=”_blank”>Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fvieilles_annonces%2F3014534998%2Fsizes%2Fl%2Fin%2Fphotostream&h=vAQGymnZjAQH4BcobBe7oVM3YBQolWStvSQn4nCLD_2QVsQ
    (Jet magazine / December 17, 1953)