Do You Remember: Fox’s All-Black-TV Thursday Night Line Up?

If you are over the age of 27, a Black person or supporter of urban-ethnic culture who lived in North America and you DON’T remember Fox’s All-Black TV show line-up on Thursday Nights, I kindly request that you leave your Black Pass & Hood Accreditation at the door with security. Right now. Now clearly if you lived somewhere where Fox wasn’t available to you then you get a temporary STAY, but the rest of y’all should be ashamed for missing what was probably the greatest weekly 2 hours of Black television since NBA on NBC.

Now I KNOW there’s a lot of people who may be reading this like “WTF?” so allow me to explain what I’m talking about. Back in the early-to-mid 90’s before Fox News became the pulpit for crazy white conservative racists disguised as political intellects, Fox was a channel that actually invested in MANY hip Black shows, some successful [In Living Color] and some not so successful [Anyone remember the PJ’s?]. This was so unprecedentedly amazing because hip-hop culture and Black television was still FAR removed from the mainstream society’s collective conscience, so getting 120 minutes of EXCELLENT programming was giving a nation of young urban youths wet dreams across the country.

But let’s just get to the point – the amazing shows. On Thursdays at 7:58 pm I would sit down in front of my television with my sister while we sat in anticipation for [in MY opinion] the FUNNIEST black sitcom EVER [YES, funnier than the Cosby show]:

8:00 – 8:30 PM: Martin

Not all the episodes were hilarious, but EVERY ONE of Martin’s caricatures was funny as hell. After me and my sis were finished DYING of laughter, we made sure to catch the start of the next show, not just because it was funny, but also because it had the BEST THEME SONG ever [Yes, even better than GOLDEN GIRLS – and that theme song is the SH*T]:

8:30 – 9:00 PM: Living Single

Sidebar: If you’re a NERD like me you watched every 2:26 of the clip above and violently bobbed your head all throughout.

Before Girlfriends was ever aired, Living Single was the program showing young Black men and women living large and in charge [remember those talks?] yet still kept a realistic balance and just was an all-around great show. After laughing our young asses off to that, we would then prepare ourselves for some drama – some hood, police drama:

9:00 – 10:00 PM: New York Undercover

Sidebar: That smooth Jazz part in the middle always makes me want to do a manly tootsie roll.

This show is classic for two reasons: 1) It was the first police drama on American TV to feature two ethnic minorities in the lead roles [this is how we got introduced to Malik Yoba and if you didn’t think he was the man you needed to KILL yourself] and 2) The show was just consistently well-written and featured characters that young Black & Latino people could FINALLY relate to. If you didn’t get a little choked up when Eddie was blown-up, you got NO damn heart.

But the main reason I’m so proud of this TV line-up was the fact that it was going head-to-head against NBC’s “Must See TV” which included megahit shows like Seinfeld and Friends, and it STILL managed to DOMINATE Black viewership with NON-coonery. And all these great shows were airing 15+ years ago – so please understand why we in the Black community get VEX when channels like BET can’t even get right what we did damn near two decades ago.

08/11/2011 at 4:16 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, PLEASE Tell Me You Remember This?

Do You Think We Could EVER Have A Night Of Quality Black TV Like This EVER Again?

2. krystllyght

08/11/2011 at 7:30 AM

Of course I remember this and I was only around eight or nine when this came out. One of Martin's catch phrases is still popular in my house. Woo woo woo.

3. Jubilance

08/11/2011 at 8:01 AM

I used to LOVE me some New York Undercover & Thursday night was the 1 night I could stay up until 10pm, just so I could watch that show.

4. Abu Husain

08/11/2011 at 10:49 AM

Greatness like this can't be duplicated Linc…

5. Candice

08/11/2011 at 12:53 PM

Thursday nights back in the day were amazing!! I remember my family and I being excited to watch each new episode of NYU, Living Single and Martin. Linc, I'm a nerd too and wanted to do the tootsie roll to the NYU theme. Seriously I used to dance to the theme when I was younger. I have the first 2 seasons of Martin on DVD and it still makes me laugh. I'm working on having all the seasons in the future. I can't believe that I still know the theme to Living Single lol. NYU, what can I say… Amazing ! For the longest time I thought that Torres was my 'husband' lol 😀

6. Crystal Promo-Fernandez

08/11/2011 at 1:13 PM

EDDIE NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Miss NYU so much!

7. ChloeRayne516

08/11/2011 at 1:31 PM

OH Mannnn.

You took me back, I totally forgot about New York Undercover.. Use to Love that show and let's not forget the OG girlfriends show ("Living Single") before there was even a show called "Girlfrends"

8. Bee

08/11/2011 at 2:24 PM

One of the best things about NYU was how they would almost always buss a new artist in the beginning scene…that’s where I first heard Erykah Badu and a lot of others…I alwas thought that was hype! I’d watch just to see who the next new artist/song would be…

And sheeit. I love Martin so much that my now-husband recreated Martin’s 2nd proposal to Gina (in the park with the gang) for his proposal to me….YES, I’m a nerd.

08/11/2011 at 11:29 PM

This was the best line up ever. The Pam jokes we're overdone its funny to know that Pam and Martin were having sex. You can tell the chemistry was there during the outtakes Tichina was the only one that could have Martin break out in laughter messing up the scene. Tichina was a great comedic actress. Looking at the programs today its very odd that we can't even get ONE black show. How did we regress so far?

Great article thanks for the memories.

10. Mike

08/11/2011 at 11:51 PM

11. Sara

08/13/2011 at 6:31 PM

THIS WAS MY SHIZNET GROWING UP!!! I still watch reruns of Martin. I haven't heard the Living Single theme song in over 15 years and why did I still know all the lyrics! hahaha, and this is when I had my first crush on a celeb, Malik Yoba…which I still drool over today off the strength of his NYU days (homeboy done aged). *Sigh* Wish we could get that ol thing back…

12. Pingback: Little Ghetto Boy: Remembering Robert “Yummy” Sandiford « From Ashy to Classy

13. Pingback: Little Ghetto Boy: Remembering Robert “Yummy” Sandifer

14. Pingback: The Cosby Show Actress Erika Alexander Discusses Segregation in Entertainment: What's Changed Since Cosby? - Manasseh & Ephraim Studios