Beautiful Women With DREADS Take SEXY To A New Level

I was chilling with my boy the other day and he has a little sister [18 years young] who is contemplating getting dreadlocks, although it appears everyone is trying hard as HELL to talk her out of it. Her family complains because they think it will adversely affect how she is graded in school as well as future employment opportunities. Although this beautiful young girl is as smart as she is gorgeous, I don’t think that is a good reason to STOP her from getting dreads, but I’m NOT part of the family so I stayed silent – until they started to talk about how getting dreads would make boys not approach her and make her undated-able. BULL-F*^KING-SH*T.

Let me tell you ladies something you may NOT know: Men find dreadlocks sexy as F*^K. And not regularly sexy in the “I just wanna titty-smash you and bust a nut on your left clavicle” kind of way, but much MORE than that. I hate to generalize but I can’t help it in this scenario: There is a natural aura of understated sensuality [NOT overt sexuality] that makes a man want to lie her down on a chocolate brown bed, rub her soft body down with warm oils and have multi-orgasmic, spiritually-enhancing, mind-freeing sex while THIS plays in the background:

But more than that, it makes me want to explore her mind AND her soul. Call it corny if you want, but the mentality of a Black woman strong enough to wear dreadlocks DESPITE the social stigmas that may abound, is a mindset worth investigating. It seems in today’s world, where so many beautiful young women are concerned with what “society’s” standards of beauty are and conforming to it, there are NOT a lot of women willing to go against the grain and be beautiful in their OWN right – and that uniqueness and individuality is SEXY as hell just in its own right.

But I would be lying if I said that there wasn’t just a huge superficial attraction there. Let’s keep it funky: When I see a beautiful woman with dreads like this:

My FIRST thought isn’t “wow, I wonder how she feels about ‘The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill..” Actually my first thought is something along the lines of “JEEZUS CHRISSSST…watch har nuh!” and then after I collect myself and realize she has a cool down-to-earth vibe, and a sense of humour that matches her beauty, I’M ALL IN.

So as I sat in my friend’s house hearing them degrade the attractiveness of women with dreads I had to step in and check every DAMN body in that room. The reality of the situation is this: Any man that is incredibly turned off by dreads is EXACTLY the type of man that a woman interested in wearing dreads should definitely avoid. There’s NOTHING wrong with a dude not wanting his girl to have dreads, but ladies THAT one man does NOT speak for ALL of us.

05/01/2012 at 2:09 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, What Are Your Opinions Of Women With Dreads?

Also Ladies, What Are Your Thoughts On MEN With Dreads??

• Csndy

09/16/2013 at 5:50 PM

I have dreads and I absolutely love them. It does attract a certain kind of man. I feel sexy and beautiful with them. I love our black men with dreads. They look beautiful!

2. TJay

05/01/2012 at 2:33 AM

I LOVE to see men with a fresh shape-up and clean/ well-kept locs *swoons*.

• The_Mad_HATER

05/01/2012 at 11:58 AM

what about white dudes with dreads?!!

• krystllyght

05/01/2012 at 12:23 PM

Naw! They can probably get you the hook up at Trader Joe's though.

It's like a car accident. You know you shouldn't stare but you can't look away.

• HerCommonSense

05/01/2012 at 3:06 PM

I've actually seen some cute ones….but they are the rough and tumble bmx biker types, not wannabe rastas.

• krystllyght

05/01/2012 at 3:16 PM

Honestly, I've only seen one in person. He had a circle of long locks on the top of his head and then shaved all around plus it looked like he dyed it black….. not cute. I'm sure there are some that can pull it off though.

• HerCommonSense

05/01/2012 at 4:13 PM

The ones that can are extremely rare. Like 1 in a million…literally.

• iluvwhoiluv

06/08/2012 at 4:07 PM

I'm sure there are some who can pull it off, but so far I haven't see a good execution of this yet.

• GrandCentral

05/03/2012 at 8:32 AM

That's the key and makes all the difference – they must be CLEAN and well kept.

• Imbroglio

06/18/2012 at 4:53 PM

I concur. I fully support this statement.

• DUO

04/05/2013 at 11:39 AM

what about not so well kept?fresh shape up?booooooooooooo!!!!!

• Candy

09/16/2013 at 5:51 PM

I agree. Nothing looks better!

3. A. Harmony

05/01/2012 at 2:48 AM

Been debating for almost a year now whether or not I should go dread. Now here is another "pro" in my pro/con list! And I agree w/ TJay, a man w/ well-kept locs is a DEFINITE turn on. The longer, the better!

• Kizzy

05/01/2012 at 10:11 AM

Embrace your locks and soon you will wonder how you ever lived without them

• HerCommonSense

05/01/2012 at 3:07 PM

Noted.

• duane

05/15/2012 at 1:51 AM

to me hair tells alot about the woman. and locks to me screams sexy. you already two steps ahead of the game if you have locks

4. Lady Ngo

05/01/2012 at 3:05 AM

I used to think dreads were so gross…until i met an attractive man with neatly twisted dreads and a nice shape-up. Been fanning myself ever since!

• The_Mad_HATER

05/01/2012 at 11:57 AM

some dreads still are gross!!!

• iluvwhoiluv

06/08/2012 at 4:09 PM

It all boils down to how you are taking care of yourself. The locs are an extension of the self-care. If a person is going through any type of stress, eating the wrong foods, or even just using the wrong products in the hair, it can turn a beautiful style into a disaster.

5. NikiiB

05/01/2012 at 7:51 AM

Thanks so much for that! I have dreads and I've never felt more sexy, feminine and…free. Best decision I ever made!

• ATLienSince82

05/01/2012 at 12:17 PM

Wheres the picture proof??!

• Candy

09/16/2013 at 5:55 PM

I feel the same way. Having dreads was the best decision I have made for me. I am the only one in my family with dreads.

6. krystllyght

05/01/2012 at 8:10 AM

OMG men with dreds are so sexy! I tried to get my hubs to grow some but he said no :(
    I've seen a couple of guys I just wanted to put my hands in their hair but I control myself. lol It seems like everybody here is wearing them now so they don't have quite the same level of appeal that they used to have but by golly (lol) there are certain men who carry them really well… this guy that shops at my Walmart has smooth chocolate skin and shoulder length dreds, tall… le sigh

• The_Mad_HATER

05/01/2012 at 11:57 AM

so if flava flav had dreads you smashing that???

• krystllyght

05/01/2012 at 12:22 PM

naw!

• HerCommonSense

05/01/2012 at 3:07 PM

lol

• TJay

05/02/2012 at 2:21 AM

Hell NAW

05/02/2012 at 6:34 PM

What If Your Son Wants Dreads? You're Cool With That?

• krystllyght

05/03/2012 at 3:24 PM

I would be cool if he were old enough to take care of them. It might kind of kill up the sexual appeal they have though idk.

• Candy

09/16/2013 at 6:06 PM

It is wonderful to see who notices you. I have had men of all races compliment me on my dreads.

7. Kizzy

05/01/2012 at 10:12 AM

i absolutely LOVE my locks! Men with locks and the personality to match are amazing

8. @craziijnell

05/01/2012 at 10:47 AM

I love my hair. The only issue I have to contend with is keeping men OUT of my hair. Men are constantly reaching in to touch, feel, finger through… as it my hair is fair game. It's lecherous and gross.

So to combat that, I've developed cat-like reflexes to avoid the initial touch. Then, I add the threat "The next man who touches my hair…better be prepared to put a ring on it." I hope that makes them understand the intimacy (and weirdness) of what they're doing.

• The_Mad_HATER

05/01/2012 at 11:56 AM

can your man touch your hair whenever he wants??

05/02/2012 at 6:35 PM

Ugh! That's Disgusting…

Random Hands In Your Hair

• iluvwhoiluv

06/08/2012 at 4:11 PM

Well you have to let them know the loc rules. Everyone doesn't have good energy. It is amazing that locs have that type of power. You don't see people automatically reaching out to touch a lady whose hair has been chemically treated.

9. cynicaloptmst81

05/01/2012 at 10:50 AM

#teamLOCS

8 years and counting! Its the very thing I'm complimented on the most. Men have yelled in my car windows to comment on my hair…its that serious, lol. I've been stopped by men who were in the middle of conversations…simply to tell me how beautiful my hair was. My bf has forbidden me to cut it, lol…that would be a violation of our relationship contract. There are very few places I go that I am NOT complimented and questioned about my hair. This is no exaggeration. Its that serious. Plus, my locs are colored similar to the last pic…different shades of brown. My bf has told me that the color of my locs is very complimentary to my complexion. Anyhoot, for very vain reasons, this is my favorite post, LOL!

• The_Mad_HATER

05/01/2012 at 11:54 AM

i got a question for you?? can a dude grab your hair during sex??

• Yve

10/15/2012 at 1:21 AM

My man can grab my hair ANYTIME and anyplace he wants

• ATLienSince82

05/01/2012 at 12:16 PM

What is it about girls with locs all having nice teeth?! lol

• HerCommonSense

05/01/2012 at 3:08 PM

Congrats. I may be going #teamLOCS very soon.

• GrandCentral

05/03/2012 at 8:38 AM

This post really has me seriously thinking about locing my hair, again. My main concern is the upkeep and how often I would have to head to the salon. Also, I would want my locs to look like the second to last girls photo above. I am a little compulsive about my hair now, as far as the length and thickness. I would probably be 10 times worse with locs. Also, the owner of my old salon had locs and he told me that you know the true definition and what your length is supposed to be when you loc your hair. If I got locs and it didn't grow like a wild fire, I would be discouraged.

• iluvwhoiluv

06/08/2012 at 4:15 PM

The key is patience as far as the length. Some textures of hair grow faster than others.

10. Concrete_Rose

05/01/2012 at 11:20 AM

Locks are sooo damn sexy! ( if neat and well kept) ..mmmmmm
    Mmmmmm
    Mmmmmmmmmm all I can say

• ATLienSince82

05/01/2012 at 12:58 PM

Is that you in that pic??

• Concrete_Rose

05/01/2012 at 7:41 PM

Yea that's me

11. The_Mad_HATER

05/01/2012 at 11:55 AM

some of yall women need to stop boosting!! yall are talking about locks are so sexy like every dude looks like the old lenny kravitz!! more dudes out here looking like that gremlin lil wayne!!

• ATLienSince82

05/01/2012 at 12:18 PM

LOL!

• krystllyght

05/01/2012 at 12:18 PM

Not every dude can pull them off well but the few who do….. my oh my.

• iluvwhoiluv

06/08/2012 at 4:16 PM

laughs out loud…

12. ATLienSince82

05/01/2012 at 12:14 PM

I love locs on a woman…especially them lisa bonet down to her ass locs…

But Mad Hater got a point on this one…living down her in the south it seems like everyone and their father got locs but it aint a great look on every dude especially since too many dont know how to really take care of it

• krystllyght

05/01/2012 at 12:21 PM

I agree, too many dudes have them nowadays. They were really hot before they became so trendy. There are still some dudes that can really rock em right though and they make up for all the ones who jack it up.

• ATLienSince82

05/01/2012 at 12:58 PM

When lil wayne got world famous everyone got them…look at an nil sideline…its like in the late nineties when AI got braids and every nigga in the world followed

• iluvwhoiluv

06/08/2012 at 4:17 PM

ATL I have to give you props on this one….sometimes, when a look starts becoming too trendy or mainstream, the duplication, although meant to flatter, can appear sloppy.

13. ATLienSince82

05/01/2012 at 12:17 PM

Oh and thank you for giving me some mo confidence in growing out my locs ladies!!

14. HerCommonSense

05/01/2012 at 3:09 PM

I am thinking about getting locs, so for the ladies who have them, what are some of the pros and cons and maintenance issues?

• @craziijnell

05/01/2012 at 5:11 PM

Time. When they were short, it was much easier. Now that my hair is reaching bra strap length (not to be confused with shoulder), I just don't have the time to get all in it. It takes FOREVER to dry.

But I'm pretty low-maintenance with my hair. When the Rastas start calling me Empress is when I decide to retwist or style.

• HerCommonSense

05/01/2012 at 10:09 PM

Haha I will keep that in mind.

• iluvwhoiluv

06/08/2012 at 4:21 PM

The pros: Not having to deal with constant chemicals in the hair, the versatility of styling, not fearing the water because water actually helps the locs as far as holding power, knowing the true length of your hair and its texture and curliness.

The cons: The scalp can get a bit dry and itchy, so have to make sure to use the proper ingredients to soothe the itchiness. Make sure you wear a satin bonnet or have a satin pillowcase because at times, locs can attract lint, so it will keep the lint down. Being patient with the growth process, especially if you want long locs. Once the locs do get very long, it can be quite a process washing the hair as well as with the drying process

• Candy

09/16/2013 at 6:14 PM

I have not had any maintenance issues. I am anal about my hair. It is washed every two weeks and the roots done. My hair grows fast. I cover it at night and shake it in the morning, wonderful.

15. Jazzy_jay8

05/01/2012 at 5:04 PM

I was considering dreads at one point but I cant stick to one hairstyle for so long.i've been told that they can take them out but how long does that really take? And I'm scared of the hair loss in doing so! Right now I just like leaving my hair out and natural or in twists, twist outs braided etc

Men in locks are sexy as hell. Usually requires strong facial features. At least that's what I like. I'm a sucker for chocolate skin so throw some locks on that… Hello!!! Lol some of the caramels can get It too of they look right in it lol

• @craziijnell

05/01/2012 at 5:13 PM

I was like that too. I would have a new style/cut every 2 years. I damn near had a panic attack when the stylist put my hair in two strand twists. I got over the anxiety and commitment phobia now I'm TOO attached. I definitely go through periods where I want to chop my hair off and start over but that isn't going to happen.

• Jazzy_jay8

05/01/2012 at 10:54 PM

Lol
        Thanks for the feedback!

• Mz_ Ericka

05/01/2012 at 7:34 PM

June 1st will be my 4th locversary :) I loved my 2 straind twists too n when I locd the baby twists/dreads was the hardest phase but if u get them, stick it out!! Its worth the process. N every guy I know feels the same as Linc lol

• HerCommonSense

05/01/2012 at 10:10 PM

Congrats!

• Jazzy_jay8

05/01/2012 at 10:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback! And happy dredlockverssary!

• HerCommonSense

05/02/2012 at 12:47 AM

lol I gotta steal that.

• iluvwhoiluv

06/08/2012 at 4:23 PM

Well, it can take a while, depending on the length of the hair and the texture. I've had my locs for almost eight years, so I don't know if I want to imagine how long it would be if I were to go through the process of unloc-ing.

16. GrandCentral

05/03/2012 at 8:31 AM

Oh I love this!!! This brings back memories of my very own thoughts about going dread, and the very conversation that your friends sister was subjected to, I was subjected to as well. I was told everything from I wouldn't get a job, to, I wouldn't get a husband. And I am west indian – you would think that a culure so deeply rooted in a natural hair style like dreads, would embrace it. NOPE! Everyone in my family down to my mother, was against it. Like a coward, I never did it, but I have maintained my hair in its natural chemical free, curly state since 2000. Dreads are not only beautiful on women, but ridiculously sexy on men. As of lately, I've seen some really attrative men with well kept dreads, that made me do a double take.

17. Ashley

07/17/2012 at 11:50 AM

Im a loced lady and proud of it. I am approaching my 3rd year this month and have never felt so free. And as a married woman i find myself kindfly turning down lots of men lol. groomed locs are sexy on man and women!

18. princess

08/05/2012 at 4:41 PM

i love my locs and i wouldnt change a thing about my journey

19. Charma

09/26/2012 at 8:53 PM

A well kept man will definitely have his dreads well done, So is not the dreads its the man behind the dreads that makes the dreads oh …..so….hmmmmm!!!! you know what i mean ladies. Nothing like a man with nice dreads,fingers and toes to die for and a pear of legs that you could bend down and literally crawl through while he is standing, My D.S is all that and more…

20. ginistam

09/29/2012 at 5:15 PM

locd for 6 yrs and loving them. Sister now considering locs. Only downside is everyone wanting to touchthem, complete strangers-they don't even ask, just start to grab away. I have to duck and dive out of their range, some peole don't have good energy. The only people I want in my hair are my mother and my lover

21. Nerd

10/03/2012 at 11:12 AM

I would like to know if the ladies liked lowcuts, braids or locs more on men? I've been told I would look nice with locs and have been doing research on them for awhile, but still haven't pulled the trigger on if I wanna get some or not..What do yall think? Thanks in advance…

22. natural_lady

10/15/2012 at 1:28 AM

I love my locs…just wish my hair was thicker.

23. Keisha

02/08/2013 at 2:49 PM

I adore my locs!!!! Both my kids have locs and wouldn't give them up for the world. Being a little girl and having locs isn't very common. But again, they love their hair, natural.

24. ellen obiem

03/16/2013 at 2:12 AM

natural speaks for itself, im now going natural

25. nica

05/27/2013 at 6:02 PM

I have relaxed hair…going natural to grow dreads after being persuaded by my boyfriend(he has dreads)

26. Right now it looks like WordPress is the preferred blogging platform out there right now.
    (from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your blog?

27. Pingback: Beautiful Black Women With Dreadlocks | dibeauty.com