Ladies, Please Explain How You Would Like Your T*tties To Be Treated

Yesterday, for the first time, I got to get a glimpse of the upcoming Time magazine cover that has got the internet [and the world at large] going nuts. The picture above shows a woman breastfeeding her 4 year old son and has caused a big stir because (A) many women find the title of the article offensive, (B) because the issue of attachment parenting is extremely divisive and finally (C) because there are “t*tties being sucked” on the cover of Time magazine. Issue C has ben really confusing and frustrating for all sides of the debate because some call it nursing and others are calling it Kiddie pr0n, which brings me to today’s question for women: “How would you like your breasts [hell, ALL breasts] to be viewed in our modern western society?”

Some of y’all may think that’s a ridiculous question, but you are simply NOT thinking about it DEEP enough. Many people who were offended by this cover think it’s wrong to use this real mother’s breasts as a calculated marketing effort to sell magazines [sexualizing a natural maternal bonding experience] while other people who were fine with the cover felt like the people who didn’t like it were regressive-thinking troglodytes without any capacity for seeing the natural beauty in breastfeeding. The problem I have with the latter set of people is their self-righteous indignation and lack of respect for our society’s intrinsic socialization. Basically, they need to stop acting like there’s such a thing as “regressive-thought” towards how we respond to breasts as a society – the fact is we are CONFUSED as a society because the message keeps changing.

Growing up, I was taught a very simple equation by my parents, teachers, the authorities and media: T*tties = Sexual Body Parts = Indecent outside of the bedroom. This was underscored by a confusing ass equation on cleavage, which was: Cleavage = Glimpse Of Sexual Body Parts = Decent outside of the bedroom [until the areola or nipple starts to show]. This is how MOST of us were raised to view naked female breasts. You are not suppose to STARE at them, TOUCH them, ADMIRE them, MOTORBOAT them, HI-FIVE them, FREESTYLE to them or SERENADE them – UNLESS you’re in the privacy of your bedroom with a consenting woman.

This was reinforced by the whole Janet Jackson fiasco. One brown nipple made its way onto National TV and the entire country had to consider shutting the Super Bowl down to oppose such “VILE atrocities”. Ok, so t*tties have no place in decent society – we get it – cool.

But then a game changer came along: The proliferation and social acceptance of public breastfeeding.

Now, all of a sudden, women began to demand that their breasts be allowed to be viewable in public as they are just a natural part of providing their children with food superior to formula – and society has slowly but surely acquiesced [which is a GOOD thing]. Yet, we still live in a society hyper sensitive to the exposure of the breast because of it’s sexual inclinations that WE as a culture gave it. Let me put it like this: As much as we try to enforce one ideology that breasts are merely instruments of nourishment, we also WON’T show Dora exploring her mother’s breast for breakfast in her show or the entire Cartoon network would be shut down.

So what are breasts and how should they be viewed? Do they become asexual body parts AFTER a woman has had a child? Are they only asexual when a child is around them? Should wet T-shirt contests in Cancun be seen as exploitive acts of sexuality or merely praising their potential motherly feeding abilities? You can think it’s as ridiculous as you want, but I CHALLENGE you to create an all-encompassing ideology that we as a society can use to view breasts as a whole, from breastfeeding to cleavage to sun-tanning on a beach to a female soccer player ripping her shirt off to expose a SPORTS BRA after a goal at the World Cup. In fact, I DARE you.

Is THIS over-sexualization? What if she's holding a baby, does it become fine then?

The point here is that sexualizing breasts is NOT regressive-thinking, it’s just the effects of being continually inundated by our society’s view of sexual ideology. And it’s THAT ideology that is currently stuck in attempting to devise a new equation to teach this generation and the next about breasts.

So I pose the question to Y’ALL today ladies: How should society view breasts on a WHOLE? [not just a couple specific circumstances]

05/11/2012 at 6:06 AM

Also Ladies & Gentlemen, What Do You Think About The Time Magazine Cover? Is It Offensive? Exploitative? Or Just Real?

2. A woman

05/11/2012 at 7:35 AM

I'm not gonna lie I was kind of shocked to see that cover but not because she was breasfeeding which is a natural and beautiful thing but because the kid is old enough to ask for it and take the boob out himself. He is too damn old to be breastfeeding! So to answer your question, no it's not offensive nor is it real, it's just sad.

3. Smilez_920

05/11/2012 at 7:55 AM

It's looks like the cover designer was trying to be creative/modern but it just went wrong. It's not offensive just weird because that kid is too big the have his mothers breast in his mouth. Once your child has that first tooth , take your tittie out of their mouh. This is how you create mommas boys, breast feeding them until they get their adult teeth.

As far as the tittle ; we need to stop defining motherhood by trivial things like breast feeding. Are you mother enough? Yes I'm mother enough to tell my 5 yr old child to get off my tittie and go pour a cup of milk. She looks silly with him hanging off of her breast.

• NurseJilly

05/11/2012 at 9:43 AM

Exactly my thoughts.
      Just imagine what kind of pansy this boy is gonna be…. Not cool

If your kid is coming home from kindergarden and asking for your tittie and a cookie you have taken it too far.

Can I also add that this kid is gonna grow up being terrorized by other kids. The world has just seen you with your crazy mothers titty in your mouth on the front page of time magazine.

• Piscean

05/11/2012 at 6:02 PM

Co-sign!

4. @lscpisces85

05/11/2012 at 8:46 AM

When I seen the Time Magazine cover for the first time, the only thing that popped in my head is that child is too darn OLD to be STILL sucking on his momma titty….. Betta start him on that PediaSure…..

5. cynicaloptmst81

05/11/2012 at 10:00 AM

I only wanna slap her cause that man child is too old to be breastfed! …ridiculous!!!!!

6. Vicky

05/11/2012 at 10:52 AM

Western world people need to go to Europe and see what they show as an advertisement (poster, commercial, etc), the nude beaches, and every other medium that would be considered sexual in our eyes (a.k.a. the b*tching type of people who feel offended/exploited/outraged whatever other emotion they feel). I would love to hear them complaining about seeing a woman's boob for a gum commercial!

Aside from the obvious, that the child is too damn old to be sucking on some t*tty. I don't understand their purpose for that picture with the title "Are you mom enough?"

• sophiatheprogrammer

05/12/2012 at 4:04 PM

"Western world people need to go to Europe"? Honey really? Like did u just say that?

• Vicky

05/12/2012 at 7:22 PM

Did u not read the rest of it??

• sophiatheprogrammer

05/12/2012 at 7:42 PM

Europe is part of the western world… wow an example of the american education system

• Vicky

05/12/2012 at 7:53 PM

See kids, don't smoke too much dro when respoinding!!

Needless to say, "North Americans" need to get out and see what else is out there. South Americans advertisments are just as bold.

• sophiatheprogrammer

05/12/2012 at 7:57 PM

Hilarious what was wrong with my comment are you saying Europe isn’t part of the western world and also even more hilarious you didn’t take your own advice as its spelt responding darling

• Vicky

05/12/2012 at 8:23 PM

Big deal, a typo!!! So what?!? They happen!!! You are so superior, allow me to bow…gtfo!

No where was the first part directed towards you honey, so don't get your panties in a bunch!

7. A Grown Ass Man

05/11/2012 at 12:09 PM

The problem I have with the child being so old is that the connecting becomes warped…wheres the line between bonding and smothering?

• NurseJilly

05/11/2012 at 3:00 PM

Right!! I wish we could look 30 years into the future and see what kind an emotional cripple this guy will most likely be. No friggin thank you.

8. Sugahz

05/11/2012 at 3:40 PM

Smilez_920, my baby boy got his first two teeth at 4 months; should I have stopped nursing him?

That kid on the cover really looks to big to be on the boobs, but why does that bother anyone? Live and let live; those types of parents are doing what works for them.

9. Piscean

05/11/2012 at 6:05 PM

At what age does this end? I can't believe that some women are too misguided to be able to say "no, you are too old for that". How old are these friggin kids in these pics??? B/c if she can't "no" to them now…I wanna know at what age does she think it's inappropriate.
    SMHVA
    *shaking my head very aggressively*

• NurseJilly

05/14/2012 at 1:36 PM

Love the SMHVA… stealing that:)

10. A Grown Ass Man

05/12/2012 at 4:35 PM

Bill Maher said the funniest line ever about breastfeeding last night

"You know your child is too old to be breastfeeding when he can light up a cigarette right after"

Lol

• NurseJilly

05/14/2012 at 1:36 PM

Hilarious

11. Alex of Liveagl.com

05/13/2012 at 3:26 PM

I swear this is why we have fucked up kids..
    You're baby is 4 years old and wants breastfeeding, you say no, he cries, you give it to him..

Parents are becoming more and more soft!..
    It really urks me.. If you're kid is talking, breastfeeding is passed expiry IMO

12. krystllyght

05/14/2012 at 11:50 AM

I forgot to come back and comment on this on Friday so I know I'm late on this. First, I have to explain that I support attachment parenting and extended breastfeeding. I think so many people want to speak on this without doing the reasearch for themselves. That being said, I breastfed my son til 20 months and my daughter til 18-19 months. I could've gone longer with my son but I had to return to work and he just wouldn't take it pumped. As for my daughter, I just lost patience. I actually feel bad about that. It's not about teaching them what no means or anything, it's about what's best nutritionally. Did you know if you breastfeed your kids til three years old and with good nutrition, they will never need milk again. Another factoid, we are the only species on the planet who willingly drinks another species milk. That shit ain't made for us! In some countries women are disgusted by the fact that breasts are sexualized here. I say, you can do both but for me, breastfeeding killed the sexual aspect of them and oh well, we still have a good time.

• krystllyght

05/14/2012 at 11:51 AM

Anyway, all of that to say, to each their own. I know what's best for me and mine and while I have an opinion on what would be best for you and your's I'll keep it to myself unless you ask. The problem I have with this cover is it makes this boy look like he's standing at a water fountain or something instead of his mother's breast. It almost makes breastfeeding look intimidating and that's not the idea you need to give to a mother who is on the fence about it.