Although “Obamacare” Won The Supreme Court Battle, It Has A LONG Way To Go

Yesterday, June 28, 2012, reminded me a lot of March 23, 2010 when Obama signed the Affordable Care Act making it the law of the land. People started passing out in the streets and hang convulsions at the idea that they were now instantly covered – but clearly they had NO idea what was really going on. Fast-forward over two years later and AGAIN there are people having full-blown orgasms over the idea that they NOW have the coverage they’ve always dreamed of, but once again they have NO idea what is currently going on. The simple truth of the matter is this: Yesterday, the ACA was ruled to NOT be unconstitutional – but there are still MANY challenges facing this administration and their Health Care reform.

To start, the House GOP leadership has already planned to hold a repeal vote in July and Mitt Romney has already stated that once he gets in office, he will REPEAL the ACA as his first order of business. So here’s the challenge facing Obama and the Democrats: For ONCE, you ALL need to take a FIRM stance, play the propaganda game and explain to Americans WHY the ACA is SUCH a beneficial piece of legislation. If not, they will witness this already unpopular act, become MUCH more unpopular in the eyes of the public and that will effectively RUIN any substantive support they can put behind this cause as a collective party, especially during a federal election.

If there’s one thing I give Republicans credit for, it’s their ability to fiercely defend a point of view and use all types of [often bullish*t] rhetoric and propaganda to support it. Conservative Republicans understand their base and how to reach out to them and they do it very effectively. Republicans won’t just tell people that immigration is bad – they will go as far as to frame it as a national security issue BASED on the fact that Americans are being SLAUGHTERED [and beheaded] everyday by cocaine-cowboy immigrants. They don’t just say that gun control is bad – they go as far as to say that after Obama personally takes your gun from your closet, he will let every criminal in the neighbourhood know, so he can laugh while you get robbed ay gun-point. And they don’t just say that the ACA may have too much spending – they will go as far as to photoshop Obama’s head onto Hitler and ask people what they think of Socialist-Medicine.

Hate them or love them, Republicans get their point across – and that’s what DEMOCRATS need to do – WITHOUT the anti-intellectualism. The truth is there are MANY good parts about the ACA that benefit Americans MUCH more than the current system in place – but who REALLY knows them? And who is REALLY out there explaining them in an easy-to-read and factual manner?

The truth is, it would be GREAT if we lived in a society where common sense prevailed but we DON’T. We live in a world where people are gullible enough to believe something the first time they hear it – and if you do the common Democrat thing [just hope and believe that people will eventually smarten up without responding] you will leave the debate in the hands of the ignorant and uninformed. So Democrats, this is what it is: If the ACA doesn’t start to gain more popularity through your hard work and effort, it will be ALL your fault if this law FAILS and is eventually REPEALED.

06/29/2012 at 6:37 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, What Are YOUR Thoughts On The ACA? [I HATE The Term OBAMACARE, But Used It As The Title Since Most People Don't Know What The ACA Is…]

2. GrandCentral

06/29/2012 at 6:43 AM

You referenced the planned vote to repeal the ACA please understand that this is a joke and the biggest crock of shit. Eric Cantor was trying to rally up the base. Here ate two reasons why its a joke. The house already voted on repealing the ACA in January. Secondly, Cantor claimed that the vote will take place on July 11th, um – congress is on recess then. LOL! Please disregard all this. The Republicans lost their minds yesterday and started making up shit on the spot.

• The_Mad_HATER

06/29/2012 at 1:09 PM

i would completely support the republicans in repealing this corny ass act!! and I'm not even republican!

• GrandCentral

06/29/2012 at 1:24 PM

Why do you think that the Affordable Health Care Act is corny?

• The_Mad_HATER

06/29/2012 at 1:46 PM

because its nothing more than a watered down version of what we all originally wanted which was universal coverage!

3. GrandCentral

06/29/2012 at 6:46 AM

Oh yeah, one more thing – ACA will NEVER be repealed. Trust me when I say that. Repeal talk is just a mechanism to garner votes and steer an agenda. No President, Speaker of the House or Senate Leader has the courage to let such a heinous act talk place under their watch or at their order. Trust me. ACA is here to stay, with the potential to be strengthen through additional legislation.

• Bruhman onda 3rd Flo

06/29/2012 at 11:57 AM

Naw you are boosting this ACA thing too far…It's unpopular as hell and it won't be too hard to pass amendments to alter parts of it and eventually change it from what it is to something completely different.

• GrandCentral

06/29/2012 at 12:24 PM

The only reason it's unpopular is because people don't know what the bill entails. Yes, there have been several polls that indicate that unpopularity refers to certain portions of the bill, but not the entire bill as a whole. I am not boosting the Affordable Care Act, I am simply stating that It WILL NOT be repealed. No one has the balls to repeal this bill. Will they pass amendments to alter the bill? Absolutely! However, those amendments will be to strengthen the bill, not completely abolish it, as the opposition would like.

• Bruhman onda 3rd Flo

06/29/2012 at 12:54 PM

But thats my point tho…cuz people don't know whats it in, the Republicans are gonna lie and tell them all kinds of shit about death panels and all that, and people are gonna believe it and start asking for changes to be made

• The_Mad_HATER

06/29/2012 at 1:10 PM

if you care about good health care you better hope it gets repealed!!

4. Pat

06/29/2012 at 7:11 AM

Americans are idiots. Has anyone seen or even remembers the Movie "John Q"? That's how it was in the late 90's. I hated going there for fear if I got sick, I would bounce around from hospital to hospital 'til I died b/c I didn't have the right insurance or the WHITE insurance. (I worked for an American company back then that insisted on flying me there every so often) I was relieved when I came back to Canada where my basic healthcare needs are covered. who wouldn't want that?

Now you have what we have in the form of ACA and the Rep. wants to discard citing that it's cost is too great – when what it really is – is the color of the top man's skin. give your collective heads a shake. would you rather the rich stay healthy while poor folks get sicker? now that its a law – it would cost MORE money to get rid of tan the cost to implement. All /c the top man's skin is BLACK. let's be real – that's what it's all about.

Give your heads a shake America – Get a CLUE – The world is watching….

06/29/2012 at 8:57 AM

Nothing irritates me more than to hear people criticize the US and say how they can't wait to go back home. Then go home and stay.

• Vicky

06/29/2012 at 9:04 AM

I think he did

06/29/2012 at 9:25 AM

Good. And what is white insurance? His entire comment irritated me.

• Vicky

06/29/2012 at 9:29 AM

Nah, don't let these comments get to you.

I'm not quite sure what he meant but if I had to guess it would be insurance for white people cause I'm sure that's one of the insurance company's offer, like the yellow, brown or any other ignorant color

• The_Mad_HATER

06/29/2012 at 1:11 PM

dude aint wrong though!! minorities are not covered at the same rate white folk are!

• Bruhman onda 3rd Flo

06/29/2012 at 12:02 PM

Before the ACA, nearly 50 million Americans — 20 percent of the population — ranked as uninsured, said Clemans-Cope, who served as lead author of the Urban Institute's May study. Strictly speaking, the majority of these individuals are white. While the nation's demographics are changing swiftly, white Americans do make up most of the nation’s population. But, the study found a disproportionate share — nearly 27 million of the uninsured — were black, Latino or Asian.

The problem is most pronounced among Latinos. About 16 million Hispanics, nearly 33 percent of the Hispanic population, lacked health insurance in 2010, according to Census data.

Just over 7 million black Americans also did not have health insurance. That figure represents about 22 percent of the nation’s black population. By comparison, about 23 million white Americans — nearly 14 percent of the white population — numbered among the uninsured.

That matters because health insurance coverage is closely associated with better health. People who lack health insurance are far more likely to delay doctor’s visits, said Clemans-Cope. They are less likely to have serious health problems detected early and are less likely to receive preventative care or chronic disease treatment, and as a result, lead shorter lives.

• Bruhman onda 3rd Flo

06/29/2012 at 12:02 PM

I think bruh was talking about that. Heres the link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/28/supreme-

• GrandCentral

06/29/2012 at 12:11 PM

Mena, Vicky & Pat – Let me interject slightly.

I will begin with your comments Pat. I take it that you are Canadian and the argument and fear that you've just described is one that I've heard repeated by many Canadians. If anyone needs evidence, I direct you to Michael Moore's 2007 Academy Award Nominated Documentary – Sicko. Mena & Vicky – This may not have been written as smoothly as it could have been written, but it sounds to me like Pat is referring to the class/race warfare that exists in the United States, when it comes to access. When I say access, I mean, education, health care and a plethora of other things that in the United States, you are denied because you may live on the opposite side of the tracks (often a circumstance associated with minorities). However, we are going to stick to the health care debate at hand. The fundamentals of this entire issue (and I am embarrassed to admit this because it is a stain on my nation) does sadly boil down to race. Before President Obama even set foot into the United States Congress as a Freshman Senator from Illinois, the individual mandate was a Republican mantra/ideology/legislative plan. Many people opposed this idea of coverage, but you have to remember it was the 90's and things were slightly different. Ironically, the fear that Pat has just expressed with us, was vigorously refuted by then President George HW Bush. If I remember the quote correctly, he would describe universal health care as the devil, talk about how Canadians were fleeing to the US for health care and he would end by saying "you think universal healthcare is great, just ask a Canadian."

I see everthing you are saying Pat and there is some validity. Plain and simple, there is a fraction of the country (mostly southern evangelical christian conservatives) who are having a hard time adjusting to the changing face of America, as they know it. They don't like Barack Obama, because they are uncomfortable with his presence in such a powerful seat, and what his occupying that seat could possibly mean for the ascent of Black Americans. Because they are consumed with this uncomfortable and unsettling feeling, they want to be sure that A) President Obama has nothing significant to be remembered by or anything substantial attached to his name that could possible help the nation B) Make sure that President Obama doesn't do so well, that it would lead people to think that maybe another Black person could be President.

Yes – the world is watching and I am confident that my country will continue to move forward and we will all have something to be proud.

06/29/2012 at 1:10 PM

I understood what Pat was trying to say but downing the US, the one country that the entire world watches and in many instances follows, is not the way to go about things. A large amount of people (mainly the poor) may not have health insurance but if you need to go to the hospital, NO HOSPITAL is going to turn you away if there is an emergency. That's just ridiculous. Yes, our health care system may not be the best in the world but the care provided is. It also hasn't stopped immigrants (those bordering the US and including some citizens in every country of Europe) from moving here and trying to get their green cards.

Also, you had insurance but were afraid of being bounced around from hospital to hospital?!? Pat made it seem like s/he was in a 3rd world country. Stop the nonsense.

If you don't like it here, move and go back home. I say the same thing to Americans who are complaining about the US government and how it sucks. Pack your belongings and bounce.

• The_Mad_HATER

06/29/2012 at 1:13 PM

we completely agree on this one!

5. GrandCentral

06/29/2012 at 8:38 AM

Yesterday, Republicans were so sure that this law was going to be overturned by the SCOTUS, that they didn't know what to say or do. The responses were outright funny. I skipped my workout last night, so I could watch all the news coverage and I was in constant laughter with the responses. I thought Cantor's July 11th Repeal vote response was funny, but this one took the cake. This one will make you laugh and shake your head. If you don't know who Rand Paul is, google him so you can see his face. Then picture him saying it. LOL! I just want to share this one because it's my favorite and I promise I will shut up after this.

"Just because a couple people on the Supreme Court declare something to be `constitutional' does not make it so. The whole thing remains unconstitutional. While the court may have erroneously come to the conclusion that the law is allowable, it certainly does nothing to make this mandate or government takeover of our health care right," – Sen. Rand Paul, R-Kentucky.

6. GrandCentral

06/29/2012 at 8:58 AM

One more thing -Ok I’m lying, this probably won't be the last thing I say on this. I've been heavily immersed in this debate for quite some time and literally shed tears last night over all of this, as I read through everything and watched the interviews the former Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi gave to MSNBC.

Lincoln – you are spot on with your analysis of the Republican Party, they are excellent story tellers and they know how to stick to a narrative, and never veer away. I’ve commended them on several occasions for this. I also have a great deal of respect for them in that aspect, because with that persistence comes a deep sense of loyalty, that can’t be broken. Republicans know how to take marching orders and they know when to get in line. Democrats – ehhh, not so much.

Need I say more? Nope! This is exactly what they do. Every now and then they make a direct correlation to abortion, rape, or gay marriage 

On the bill itself – there is a bit of concern regarding Part II – The Medicaid Expansion Provision. The original bill has a structured amount of additional funds to be allocated to the states to expand the Medicaid pool. Remember the reason we even had the SCOTUS involved was because 26 States launched law suits, against the Federal Government. Basically, the bill sought to penalized states (more than likely a Republican Governor would have attempted to flex their muscle here) that did not comply with the expansion pool, by withholding funding to those states. Yesterday the SCOTUS ruled that, that was unconstitutional , thus giving states permission the opt out. This opt out could result in less people having coverage. This is an issue that Democrats need to create a strategy to possible run on, and when elected they pass legislation that will correct this. The general consensus is that because of the additional tiered funding from the federal level, the states will not have the heart to turn it away and thus deny access to individuals. So this is definitely something to watch closely.

06/29/2012 at 9:03 AM

All that the president needs to do when Romney opens his mouth is to say, "hey buddy, we got this idea from you…when you were governor…and passed a universal health care law for the state of Massachusetts." So i don't agree with you on this. The dems don't need to stoop down to the repubs level (even though i agree that the repubs are brilliant at scare tactics). They just need to simply tie everything that Obamacare is to what Romney did while he was governor. They need to simplify it and get it out starting today.

• GrandCentral

06/29/2012 at 11:51 AM

They actually tried that and failed misserably. Prior to Romney putting his foot into (even though we already knew he was vying to for the job again) the GOP Nomination ring, the Democrats tried to frame the argument as you've stated and it didn't quite pan out. Romney and other Republicans replied that the RomneyCare was on a state level and rightfully so, that it didn't infringe on the entire nation and represent a gross overstep of the powers of the federal government. They also counter by stating that RomneyCare was specifically tailored to the issues of one state, versus the country as a whole. Granted, I find this to be a weak argument, because during the 2008 GOP Primary, Romney touted his passage of RomneyCare in Mass as the reason he was the man for the job and ultimately the person who could finally deliver a health care plan to the nation. Had Romney been President this is exactly the plan he would have passed. Democrats got caught up in the midterm election and didn't exactly show up to this fight with their full arsenal.

I am with you though. I am just very skeptical about the ability of Democrats to properly craft their message and not have it get lost in the wind.

• Bruhman onda 3rd Flo

06/29/2012 at 12:04 PM

Just say it…the Dems are too p_ssy to win a mud slinging war with the Reps.

• GrandCentral

06/29/2012 at 12:27 PM

I can't say I disagree with you. They lack courage. I will keep it at that :)

• Bruhman onda 3rd Flo

06/29/2012 at 12:55 PM

LMAO!! We feel each other doe!!

06/29/2012 at 12:58 PM

The problem is that the democrats speak like their entire audience went to Harvard while the repubs speak like their audience just passed the 10th grade. It can be done if done properly without the mudslinging.

8. The_Mad_HATER

06/29/2012 at 1:15 PM

I'm one of the only black people i know who aint feeling this aca shit!! look how soon we all forgot that having universal health care was once an option! smh!!

06/29/2012 at 1:27 PM

But why? Back up your statement.

• The_Mad_HATER

06/29/2012 at 1:54 PM

google the united states national health care act cause its all there!

• GrandCentral

06/29/2012 at 1:28 PM

Universal Health Care is the ultimate goal. However, you have to creep before you crawl. Is this legislation perfect? No, it's not, but it's a step in the right direction.

I am curious to know your solution to the entire crisis and how would you have handled it. Please do share.

• The_Mad_HATER

06/29/2012 at 1:56 PM

i would have fought for national understanding of the national health care act instead of letting sarah palin talk shit about it!

• GrandCentral

06/29/2012 at 2:49 PM

Ok. So you have taken the position that you would rather see nothing, instead of something? You rather have it all one way, or nothing at all?

A good fighter knows when to cut their losses. The President cut his losses and instead of chasing the Superman moment, he made the decision to get something going, to at least stop our bleeding.

Look at what we just went through with ACA, do you really think universal health care would have made it through in this moment in time?

• The_Mad_HATER

06/29/2012 at 3:49 PM

thats where we differ because i dont think this is a big step in the right direction! the us population is still against a single payer system so that wall has gone up and hasn't been addressed!! this health care act is an improvement but it in no way will help universal health care!

• GrandCentral

06/30/2012 at 9:37 AM

Most of the social programs in The United States that we know today, started off in smaller (some would label as weaker) version than what they are today. That is why I see this as being a step in the right direction and something that will ultimately lead to universal healthcare.