F*^K Warring Against “JUNK” Food – Let’s Start Promoting EXERCISE

Do you remember in 2004 a documentary called “Supersize Me” was released where some douchebag named Morgan Spurlock decided to rage against the McDonald machine by showing how unhealthy their food was, which ultimately resulted in the elimination of Supersized fries and drinks? That PISSED me off because those supersize drinks were GREAT for long-ass road trips. Well since then we have seen a massive outcry for a crackdown of the “Junk” food industry, including ending subsidies, excessive labelling and even OUTLAWING some of this “junk.” But the more we focus on the food debate, the less we focus on an EXTREMELY important part of getting fit: Staying active and exercising.

The ‘War on Junk’ has been taken to an all-NEW level now that New York’s Mayor Michael Bloomberg has proposed banning the sale of more than 16 ounces of any drink that has more than 25 calories per eight fluid ounces. That means the days of buying big ass bottles of Coke, Sprite, Root Beer and Ice Tea will effectively be OVER. Why? Because this is a large scale move to help get people fit and healthy and improve their diets. But what about the other IMPORTANT half of this issue – the EXERCISE?

First, I must state that I applaud what they are TRYING to do, which essentially is saving overweight and unhealthy people from themselves and limiting their ability to stuff their faces full of bullish*t. But this effort is a lost cause unless they begin finding ways to make people stay active, because living a lethargic and sedentary lifestyle can be just as dangerous to some people as eating bad.

For example, the ‘War on Junk’ has been labelled as a battle we must win for OUR CHILDREN who are being unfairly targeted and subsequently addicted to fast food and sugary sweets. But here’s the problem: Only 6% of schools in the U.S offer daily physical education classes. Now, take into account that The National Association for Sports and Physical Education recommends 2 1/2 hours of physical activity a week for elementary school kids, and nearly four hours a week for middle and high schoolers. We are fighting HARD against McDonalds on one hand, but then we are FIGHTING our children’s health by letting phys. ed become a highly expendable part of their curriculum and assisting them in staying unfit. Something is SERIOUSLY wrong here – and that’s just with the KIDS.

Take a look into your life as an adult and ask yourself if YOU are getting the right amount of daily exercise, especially considering that your metabolism is starting to slow [unless you're an insane weight lifter] which means YOU need the exercise as direly as your children do. Where are there politicians enforcing a law that dictates every employee should have a workout station provided by their employer? Or their benefits should include a reduced gym membership allotment? Or extra breaks should be granted at office and cubicle jobs allowing for employees to engage in some physical activity for 30 minutes? I honestly don’t care if you think those ideas are unrealistic, because the point is they are ideas to start pointing people in the RIGHT direction.

Is the sh*t in the vending machine REALLY her ONLY problem?

The reality is, this war on bullish*t food is starting to smell like a lot of bullish*t in and of itself. If you want people to get healthy let’s start by addressing the food, and follow it up by addressing our level of activity. If we refuse to do BOTH, then we are NOT addressing this issue as seriously as we like to BELIEVE we are.

06/27/2012 at 1:24 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, Do You Think There Is ANYTHING We Can Do As A Society To LEGISLATE Making People Becoming More Active Or Is That An Unrealistic Goal??

2. Foxi

06/27/2012 at 2:39 AM

I agree with the facts stated in this post. However if ur arguing that lack of physical activity plays a larger role in illness and obesity over the quality of food available I’m gonna have to strongly disagree.

Weight loss or a healthy body is achieved by both healthy nutrition and an active lifestyle. And while I agree that the average north American should increase their daily activity level but wayyyyy more importance needs to be put on what we feed our bodies. If you really knew how little food in our fridge is actuallly natural and nutritious you would be shocked. If its not something that grew out of the group it probably isn’t contaminated with artificial flavors fats and chemicals. Just look at an ingredient list of something in ur pantry or
    Fridge. How many of those “ingredients” are something that comes from nature? Ever heard of and ingredient called “natural flavors”? It’s just another product that has its own list of ingredients. Have a tin of Tetley green tea? It probably only had one listed ingredient called “natural green tea” which is a whole other product of its own with its own ingredients. Looks at a bag of wonder bread .. Why are the ingredient more that just flour eggs salt and baking soda?

Corporations are legally allowed to poison people slowly into sickness by disguising chemicals as food. There are families out there who never eat a home cooked meal because McDonalds is faster and cheap and kids don’t complain. As the saying goes, you are exactly what you eat. People
    Turn their nose up to health rich veggies but gladly eats restaurant foods and frozen meals. If u are eating at a chain food restaurant you are not eating freshly prepared meals … From mcdonalds to Boston pizza to whatever they are mearly defrosting frozen prep prepped food adding grill marks and shaving some cheese over it and calling it home style cooking.

Ask any good personal trainer and they will tell u … In order to be in shape it’s 70% of what ur putting into ur body. Junk food is like cigarette … Quit cold turkey and within days your body will feel different.

06/27/2012 at 3:08 AM

I'm Not Arguing That At All…I Am SImply Stating That Good Health Is Achieved Through A Balance Of A Proper Diet AND Exercise, But There Is ZERO Substantive Political Strides Being Made To Encourage Active Lifestyles Amongst The Masses – Just Arbitrary Laws On Junk Food.

06/27/2012 at 3:10 AM

And I Would Like To Add This One Comment In Regards To Propagating Natural Foods – That Effort Would Be A LOT More Successful If It Wasn't So Exorbitantly More Expensive Than BS Fast Food.

• Abu Husain

06/27/2012 at 9:30 AM

While that's true of places like Whole Foods, it's not really that expensive to eat healthy. Focusing on the basics (fruits, veggies, meat, dairy, etc) will help you to spend less… I rarely go over $70 a week for groceries. Yeah, it takes time to prepare these things from scratch, but it saves you tons of money in the longrun.

• Vicky

06/27/2012 at 9:46 AM

Are you talking about "organic" foods? Cause there is no way you can spend $70/week. I could as well buy $70-75/week for groceries on non organic foods like fruit, veggies, all that good stuff but then you have pesticides or hormones and what not in everything we eat so how "good" is it for you really?

• Abu Husain

06/27/2012 at 10:14 AM

That label is thrown on plenty of things just to get people to buy it. Words like "natural" and "organic" are used to entice people to buy certain things that are anything but. Half of the things in Trader Joes aren't good for you, but people think they are simply because the store carries it.

I think the reason my grocery list doesn't run that high is simply because I know how to find good deals. Plus I eat the same meals everyday more or less.

• Kam

06/27/2012 at 10:53 AM

What you are describing is called "Green Washing" people need to read the labels. Just b/c it says organic or natural doesn't mean it's good or a 100% organic.

• Vicky

06/27/2012 at 3:12 PM

What I mean is going to the all natural food store and not the regular grocery stores. I'm aware that they will charge extra for "organic" when it's not.

• GrandCentral

06/29/2012 at 8:45 AM

You can spend less than $70 a week on Organic Foods. Go to your local farmers market or even engaging with the manager at your local supermarket will result in more organic options at affordable prices. The whole idea that eating healthy is a myth. I do understand that this also depends on where you live. People just need to take a little time out shop around talk to people and be resourceful.

06/27/2012 at 11:21 AM

Comparatively It's No Contest Right Now And I Can Only Speak For My Current City Of Toronto…You Can Feed A Family Of 4 For Like 70 A Week With Fast Food, While Fruits, Meat And Other Foods Are Rising In Price Every Month And 70 In Organic Groceries Won't Cut It For You..

• Michael

06/28/2012 at 8:07 AM

Lincoln, I love you bro, but please tell me how you can feed a family of 4 on $70/week on fast food, let alone "organic" or "natural" food. I have a family of 6, and a trip to McDonald's for a quick dinner costs me about $30-$35. My oldest child is 11! Can you imagine what it will cost when they hit their teens!?!?

Home cooked meals are a staple in my house.

• Vicky

06/27/2012 at 9:42 AM

CO-SIGN!

You can pay $1.99 for a burger at McD's and yet a salad (with a vinaigrette dressing) is like $10!

3. Kam

06/27/2012 at 9:16 AM

I have to agree with Foxi. I think the battle starts w/ healthy eating habits and I think there should be more transparency in what goes in and on our foods. I dont mean junk food alone I mean even what we buy at the groccery store. Have you heard of the ingredient MSG? That's an Ingredent in a lot of foods even in seasoning (if you're using allspice) that has been linked to obesity, food addiction, and nurological disorders.

I get where you're going with promoting activity but an active lifestyle means nothing without healthy eating.

As well I'm not saying that having transparency in what we eat will deter people completey b/c if you're an addict then youre an addict only you can decided to change your lifestyle.

06/27/2012 at 11:23 AM

The One Thing No One Is Addressing Is The Fact That These Laws Are Suppose To Help People Who Are ALREADY Obese. We Are Not Talking About HELPING People With Balanced Diets, We Are Talking About IMPROVING The Health Of Massively Overweight People.

Diet Is No Where NEAR Enough As The Only Answer To Getting Fit. Jared Got FAT People Believing They Just Need To Eat Subway Which Is Complete BS.

4. Abu Husain

06/27/2012 at 9:49 AM

I work in a pretty affluent area and one thing I have always noticed is that everyone looks great! They're all walking dogs riding bikes, jogging, surfing, etc… I notice one of the main things that separate the people in this community from others is accessibility. Everywhere you go there are jogging trails, bike paths, pull up bars, stairs, parks, and tons of other places you can go to work out.

I'm not for the gov't forcing people to eat this or drink that because I believe that if people are presented with the information, they can make these choices on their own. I DO think that they should make exercise facilities and parks more accessible though.

06/27/2012 at 11:24 AM

I Think MOST Offices In America Could Put A Workout Area In Their Building, The Same Way Most Condo's Have One…Hell The Politicians Can Subsidize It

06/27/2012 at 3:07 PM

But the people living in the condo pay for it. It's included in the price of their home and their HOA fee pays for the upkeep. Large companies have them b/c the more amenities you give your employees, the more they will probably be productive which leads to a bigger bottom line. Also, the more fit, the lower the amount you will have to pay for healthcare costs. I would love to see the statistics on people who actually use the gyms in their buildings, discounted gym memberships, and/or gym membership reimbursement programs.

06/27/2012 at 11:08 AM

Abu hit on a really good point: It's all about accessibility and those in affluent areas don't mind paying higher taxes/fees in order to have these "essentials." I feel that the US is starting to combat obesity with not only physical exercise but also with food BUT, i think that it is much easier for someone to go out for a walk or go to the gym than it is for them to control what they are putting in their mouths. Let's be real here, food tastes wonderful and the more fat, salt, sugar, and grease is just awesome. There have been studies shown that people actually become addicted to the bad things in food so I think that there should be a MUCH greater push on combating junk food than exercise. No matter how much you exercise, if you are shoving crap in your mouth, it’s not going to help one bit. In fact, you could exercise a ton, eat crap, and still gain weight even though your cardiovascular health is great. Over time though, b/c of the food, that will begin to suffer. One last point: people really do not realize how many calories they are consuming a day and when the places here (DMV) were forced to put calories on the menu items, my God was it an eye opening experience.
    All that the government can truly do is push incentives for companies to provide gyms or allow for their employees to exercise during their breaks. The PEOPLE on the other hand, can force for a change if the voice is strong enough. The same thing goes with local and state governments. The people have to push for these things. Not so much the government.

6. GrandCentral

06/29/2012 at 8:57 AM

Much of what I was going to say has already been said. I agree and disagree with you Lincoln and feel the need to defend Mayor Bloomberg.

I live in New York City , specifically Upper Manhattan, and let me tell you, it's a disaster. Thank God, I am in a position to afford to have my groceries delivered from FreshDirect or any of the better markets that I like. I pretty much have access to the healthy food, but my neighbors don't. My neighborhood, before I moved there, was a food dessert. Sadly food desserts exists all over the United States and specifically in the neighborhoods of Blacks and Latinos. When I moved to my neighborhood, a grocery store had just opened up and the people were elated. Most of the neighborhoods rely on bodegas and fast food for their food. Bloomberg is aware of this, and until he can fully rectify the situation, this is a good start and solution. I can't even begin to tell you how many times, I've seen school children chugging 20oz bottles of soda and eating chips in the morning. It literally breaks my heart. Most of the time, the parents just don't know better and refuse to seek out solutions. So I fully support Bloomberg's effort to begin to solve this problem. It's hard for me to deeply explain, but this problem in NYC is bigger than people know and the end result of not fixing the problem will only be a detriment to the city.

7. GrandCentral

06/30/2012 at 9:45 AM

Interesting story on Skinny Bitch author Rory Freedman. Similar challenges have been carried out by many people and the general consensus is that you can eat healthy on a budget.