I REFUSE To Live In A World Where MEN Can Join Sororities

Members Of MIAKA - the gay men SUING AKA's because they can't get in

Not going to university or college in the U.S. has deprived me of the intricate sorority and fraternity lives that many of my American friends got to experience, so I’m not as completely in-tune with the culture as I COULD be, but there is ONE fact I’m very familiar with in regards to them: There are many different ones that typically appeal to different types of people. Dudes can be Alpha’s, Sigma’s, Kappa’s, Omega’s and a host of others, while women can be Delta’s, AKA’s and others as well. Which fraternity or sorority specifically targets and accepts homosexual men? To be honest, I’m not sure if any of them do – but I know it makes a lot more damn sense to CREATE your own, than FORCING your way into a group you don’t really belong in.

Let’s take a quick second and step back from the oft-referenced stereotypes of Black Greeks being good for little more than attracting sex partners, being in wild parties, knowing how to step and hazing ninja’s to death and let’s focus on the ORIGINS and the ultimate POINT of these institutions – in fact, let’s focus on the AKA’s in question. Alpha Kappa Alpha is the first Greek-lettered sorority established and incorporated by African American college women. This sorority broke barriers for African American women in areas where little power or authority existed due to a lack of opportunities for minorities and women in the early 20th century. Although you don’t have to be a Black woman to be a member, the focus of creating SISTERHOOD was the key element in the AKA’s beginnings and still stands as important to this day. The key word there is SISTERHOOD.

At a time where Black women are being written about in anti-intellectual “articles” by DOUCHEBAGS claiming they are scientifically unattractive, or being left off of Magazines “Hot Lists”, I think it’s fair to say that a collective group of strong women supporting other women would be a POSITIVE thing. Hell, at a time where cops are labelling rape victims as sluts, pigheaded GOP pundits are calling advocates of birth control WHORES, and women all over the country are being told they should NOT have final say over their bodies when it comes to reproduction, I think it’s safe to say that women backing each other is a GOOD thing.

Well, not if you ask MIAKA.

According to LoveMyBlack.com:

Men interested in Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, also known as MIAKAs, are threatening to file a lawsuit against Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., a sorority founded at Howard University on Jan. 15, 1908. The group of men, whom all are homosexual, are alleging homophobia and gender discrimination by the sorority.

News of MIAKAs first surfaced a couple years ago when men founded an unofficial chapter of AKA at Texas Southern University and Prairie view A&M.

Members of the Greek community were shocked when the Tri Alpha Chapter of MIAKI presented photos of men adorned in pink and green and pearls, while throwing up their “pinkies.” People were even more shocked to learn the chapter had even filmed a probate show with sounds of the sorority’s famous call “skee wee” being heard in the background.

The funny thing about this story, is I already KNOW there’s a gang of people waiting to label anyone who disagrees with MIAKA’S cause a HOMOPHOBE – and those people can go F^*K themselves. If there’s one thing I’m FAR from being it’s homophobic, but I take GREAT offence at a minority group targeting ANOTHER minority group and CRYING about exclusion. If sisters want to support sisters then let them HAVE that. But to build a case based on the ridiculous ideology that you should be granted access anywhere and everywhere based solely on your sexual preference is RIDICULOUS.

These dudes might as well call Lamaze class’ homophobic while they are at it.

So hear what MIAKA, if there’s one thing you can learn from AKA’s, it’s this: In 1908, Ethel Hedgeman scanned the landscape of Black Greeks and saw a void that she decided she could fill – if you don’t see a fraternity or sorority out there for YOU, that’s simply a sign that there’s no time like the PRESENT to start one.

06/15/2012 at 4:21 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, Do You Think MEN Should Be Able To Join Sororities And Women Be Allowed To Join Fraternities?

• ChloeRayne516

06/15/2012 at 2:59 PM

NO. it's called Frats and Sorors for a reason… damn can we just keep some form of traditional gender roles–PLEASE!!! ????

I admire these men bravery and all but I can't get behind that whole they wanting to sue the AKA's because they won't allow them to pledge.. No matter what sexual preference you have you are still a Man..

#thatisall

• The_Mad_HATER

06/15/2012 at 3:32 PM

these negroes aint brave they just attention whores!!!

2. deontaer

06/15/2012 at 7:46 AM

Look at our fallin soldiers…smh.

06/15/2012 at 8:58 AM

Those dudes are the stereotypes: the queens (yes, I said queens) that are "divas", loud, ghetto, obnoxious and give other gay men a bad name. Just the same way that rednecks and ghetto ratchets do for the white and black community. A man is a man no matter if you are straight, gay, or bi and no man should want to join a sorority since they are not women. These queens are just attention whores who are trying to prove a ridiculous point (gay = sorority membership) and the black sororities should simply ignore them.

Tell these dudes to go and get a sex reassignment and then this would be a great case to debate. Until that day, they need to sit all the way down.

• A Grown Ass Man

06/15/2012 at 12:10 PM

Actually that would be a very great case and I'm not sure how I would lean

• The_Mad_HATER

06/15/2012 at 3:33 PM

they should create a sex assigned fraternity or sorority!! how about that?!!

• ChloeRayne516

06/15/2012 at 3:00 PM

"Tell these dudes to go and get a sex reassignment and then this would be a great case to debate. Until that day, they need to sit all the way down"

Hi-Five!!!!

Agreed

4. iluvwhoiluv

06/15/2012 at 9:56 AM

In this case, I don't think they should try to reinvent what's there. I don't see an issue with them coming together and trying to form their own organization. I actually think it would be a lot better for them to be trendsetters than to disrupt what's already present.

In the end, they are still men, and a sorority is for women, no matter how feminine acting some of them may act.

• A Grown Ass Man

06/15/2012 at 12:09 PM

I wonder if there's a group of mature, intelligent black gay men shaking their heads somewhere at this MIAKA thing..

• ChloeRayne516

06/15/2012 at 3:01 PM

*lol*

I know Ms. Lawrence from RHOA is like "Uhh Uhh, No honey!!!"

lol

• The_Mad_HATER

06/15/2012 at 3:34 PM

these dudes need to clean up their lives!!!

5. Smilez_920

06/15/2012 at 10:20 AM

This is getting out of control. Join a fraternity or make your own organization that doesn't copy cat the AKA but don't make a mockery of their history. Everything is not discrimnation. Somethings are ment for women ( humans that were born with vaginas) and something's are just for men (humans born with penis). Where ate these boys parents matter a fact where are their fathers to tell them to cut the crap and stop embarrassing themselves an leave the AKA's alone

• A Grown Ass Man

06/15/2012 at 12:08 PM

We live in a day and age where people don't understand what equality is. They think equality means no one can say no to them, and that's where they have their heads in the sand

6. NurseJilly

06/15/2012 at 11:33 AM

This pisses me right the F off. Being gay DOES NOT make you a woman. I read an article about a school in the UK that was being sued because a young gay student felt "more comfortable" using the girls bathroom and locker room @ school. No joke, I couldn't believe this kids idiot parents have the nerve to sue the school. Just because a gay man may identify more with women it doesn't magically make their dicks fall off therefor they are still bloody men.

• SMilez_920

06/15/2012 at 11:53 AM

Smh I have no issue with the LGBT community but come on SON!! Did his parents think about how the little girls in the "Womens" bathroom would feel about a boy straight or gay being in the womens restroom.

• A Grown Ass Man

06/15/2012 at 12:06 PM

If I was a parent at that school with a daughter, I would have sued the parents trying to school the school because I don't want any boy being able to claim he's homosexual just to have access to my daughter in the bathroom

I feel somewhat secure knowing a boy in the girls bathroom will cause them to scream and get a teacher, but if it becomes normal, I would have a large issue with any old guy being allowed in there

7. A Grown Ass Man

06/15/2012 at 12:03 PM

But why aren't they trying to join a fraternity? If these overtly feminine men can join a sorority than a case must be made for Tomboyish lesbians to join fraternities, but that will strike most people as foolish although it's an equal situation

I have a problem with these Gay men trying to force themselves into the group. There's nothing wrong with asking, but if you are politely declined, pull yourself up and keep it moving

8. Dyquen

06/15/2012 at 1:20 PM

I wont be politically correct but for a while now battyman a force dem self and a egz up inna ting weh dem have no business. Always a fight and a force them boogafella ways pon ppl and a tell dem fi accept dem fi dem lifestyle. Nobody else a force them lifestyle down smaddy else troat; interracial couples, lesbians, ppl who want to marry dem anime pillow or lifesize dolly. But battypirate eva wah up inna smaddy face and a try sue somebody weh honestly have reason fi dem cant join or do certain tings. If a concert feature a dj who nuh support sodomite, and the crowd have majority of ppl who feel the same way, then what bloodnaat business a battyman a do at that concert when most of the songs a put down his way of life? suing and acting like a jackass as your way for dem to accept u is a dumbsh*t way to do it and getting your point across, they will move from not liking your lifestyle type to hating you and anyone like you. Counter productive b*tch move from a b*tch nucka.

06/15/2012 at 3:22 PM

I couldn't understand your first 2 sentences so i just stopped reading.

• The_Mad_HATER

06/15/2012 at 3:34 PM

lol!!!!

• dddd

06/18/2012 at 1:44 AM

kind of mean how it was said, but i get your point 100%

• Dude

06/18/2012 at 6:22 AM

Ya man. I agree totally. If my wife is meeting with the girls, I keep off. If I'm meeting with the boys, she keeps off. It's called respect.

9. iluvwhoiluv

06/15/2012 at 3:41 PM

I think I needed a translator for the first two sentences.

10. Dude

06/18/2012 at 6:23 AM

11. Danielle

08/01/2012 at 7:08 PM

Just came across this post and as a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. – the issue is very disrespectful. I can only imagine that our founders are turning over in their graves because this is not a part of the vision and legacy. I'm actually open to thinking of ways that we as a society can support and/or accommodate the LGB/T transgendered community (i.e. prisons, marriage, and perhaps public facilities), but like you stated – they need to establish their own organization. If this group truly understood the history of not only AKA, but all of the Divine 9 I really feel that this would not be an issue. This is all for attention they need to get over it – they can rock all the pink & green they want, throw up all the pinkies and ivies, but at the end of it all – they are not members and do not represent our organization.

12. Dude

08/02/2012 at 3:21 AM

60% of African-American gay men over 40 years old have HIV.

13. Hi there i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anywhere, when i read this article i hought i couuld also create comment due
    to this good paragraph.