If You Don’t Walk Out On Bad Dates – You’re A F*^KING IDIOT

As y’all should know (since I’ve been promoting the HELL out of it), this Sunday I will be speaking at the Battle Of The Sexes event here in Toronto and we will be discussing chivalry and debating if it’s dead or not. I already foresee a large part of this discussion being focused around first dates and the etiquette surrounding being on one, so I would like to drop this science on y’all RIGHT now, so you’re not surprised when I repeat it: If you find yourself on a TERRIBLE date (like the one in the video below), get up and WALK OUT because your time is precious and NO ONE deserves to steal even a SECOND from you.

Even before I launched ThisIsYourConscience.com, I have been frequently inundated with requests from friends, family members and even acquaintences to provide them with, what they believe to be, sage relationship advice. For the most part I am more than willing to lend my two cents to anyone going through some tough dating times – EXCEPT when someone approaches me on the vibe that they want to complain about how HORRIBLE their date last night was. The second I find out that they stayed on a date for exactly 3 minutes after their mind, body and soul NOTIFIED them that this loser across the table wasn’t worth sh*t – and they STAYED – my only response to them is: “Stop this story and shut the F*^K Up.”

Sounds harsh? Well it shouldn’t sound harsh to anyone, because the simple fact of dating is this: If the date absolutely, 100%, irreconcilably TANKS, you should pick your ass up, say your goodnight and walk your ass up and through the door – and if you DON’T do that, you are an IDIOT. You’re STUPID for putting yourself through unnecessary pain which you could alleviate by just doing, what I call, the Bad Date Walk Out.

Now I have written a couple times on the ILLS of traditional-dating and how STUPID I think the whole thing is, such as THIS ARTICLE HERE. I even touched on how you should be prepared to meet your date at a predetermined location and NOT arrive together, so you are both free to leave whenever you want LIKE I WROTE HERE. And that’s what I’m going to expand on now.

When the date goes completely south and can’t be saved, Ladies you should look over at that dude and say “You know what? I’m going to hit the road, it was nice meeting you, but I don’t think this is working out.” Don’t be demonstrative, or ignorant or act like a complete c*nt, just bounce. Fellas, you should look over at ol’ girl and hit her with “Excuse me miss, it was real, but I’m gonna head outta here, take care of yourself” and skedaddle. The reality is, the person you were on the date with would probably not even be THAT shocked, because unless they were psychotic, they should understand and FEEL your personal level of disgust and horror with them.

But why don’t MORE people walk out? Because you think it makes you look like a DOUCHEBAG and you feel riding the entire date out is being “nice”. But you’re wrong because riding the date out is just giving that person false hope, which makes you an even BIGGER douche. I believe in Bad Date Euthanasia: Putting a bullet directly into the heart of that date to put it out of its suffering and misery. Bad date Euthanasia is especially important for women to use, because men will NOT initiate ending the date because even if the entire night sucked, he’s still hoping he can rope in some nani.

People listen very carefully, You do NOT have to suffer through a long-ass evening of BS if you don’t want to – you’re at dinner not a Concentration Camp. Please look around the restaurant for barbed wire and snipers standing in Watch Towers. You won’t see any – and that’s because you’re at Appleby’s not Auschwitz.

06/22/2012 at 5:53 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, If You Found Yourself On A TERRIBLE Date, Would You Be Able To Walk Out On It In The Middle, Or Would You Feel Being Polite Dictates You Stay To The End?!

• ChloeRayne516

06/22/2012 at 12:11 PM

Honestly I don't just walk out if the date was terrible.. I do finish the evening and later on send him a text saying "it was great meeting you but I don't think we're compatible, good luck on your journey – God Bless"

I've done this in the past and it works out well without any backlash.

06/22/2012 at 12:53 PM

Agreed. Being an a$$ isn't what's up. It's not about saving face either. It's just about showing respect. We already don't show enough respect to people and that is why we have so many jaded individuals running around now. Unless the person is a complete and utter jerk, finish the date.

• Gina

06/22/2012 at 1:16 PM

I had the most AWFUL date with a man a while ago I will never forget. I could not get out of there fast enough, but when it was finally over I told myself I'd never sit through another date in order to be "polite," I'd rather walk out and be considered a bitch or whatever name the guy would call me then suffer through another date.

• HerCommonSense

06/22/2012 at 4:13 PM

I completely agree with you here! I would rather get disrespected after than waste my time!

06/22/2012 at 6:04 AM

Also I Wanted To Add A Quick Message About The Event: YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE IN TORONTO TO VIEW IT LIVE! It Will Be Live Streamed, So You Can Pick Up Tickets At The Link Below To Attend IN PERSON Or VIRTUALLY:

3. SmileZ_920

06/22/2012 at 11:17 AM

I wouldn't really call it walking out in the middle of the date , more like an early end. If a date is just horrible like no conversation, or if his behavior is rude or out Of place I have no problem walking out. I have no time to waste. The only time I might see it through is if he is my ride home and even then Im from NYC I will hop in a cab or on the subway in a heartbeat .

06/22/2012 at 11:41 AM

I have seen where someone will say the date was horrible and the date really wasn't horrible, the person just wasn't physically attracted to the other person so EVERYTHING they did was a turn off–from sipping their drink to eating too loudly.

I think a lack of conversation should just be an early end. There is no need to walk out on someone just because the conversation is boring. People are too quick to not give someone a chance simply b/c the conversation wasn't electrifying within the first 20 minutes. Dating can be nerve racking for some. Give the person the benefit of the doubt and leave afterwards.

If the person is being obnoxious or rude, then you walk out early. Otherwise, it isn't that serious.

Also, the date in the video wasn't a horrible one but it shows that people think WAY too highly of themselves and jump immediately to conclusions for no reason. They both need to climb down the horse they rode on and enjoy the date.

• ChloeRayne516

06/22/2012 at 12:58 PM

"I have seen where someone will say the date was horrible and the date really wasn't horrible, the person just wasn't physically attracted to the other person so EVERYTHING they did was a turn off–from sipping their drink to eating too loudly"

LOL, true — this is what usually make a date terrible (NO ATTRACTION and/or CHEMISTRY) because if a man/woman is attracted to you but hate the way you breathe 9 times outta of 10 he/she is going to stick it out and will even continue to see that person hoping maybe the next time will get better.

06/22/2012 at 1:00 PM

Or they take their inhaler. :-) LOL

• HerCommonSense

06/22/2012 at 4:13 PM

LMAO!!

5. Candice

06/22/2012 at 10:33 PM

A bad date happened to me a few weeks ago. There was hardly any conversation and he wasn't making much of an attempt to get to know me more. I was doing most of the talking because if I didn't, there would be some very long periods of awkward silence. Even though there was no chemistry or attraction from my end, he tried to pull me in for a kiss. After that I told him it was nice meeting you, this is not going to work, have a good night. I felt a little bad for abruptly ending the date but I thought, there's no point in dragging on the crappy date, so I'm glad I ended it.