VH1 Doesn’t Hate Black People – They Are Just Glad We Hate Each Other

I read a very interesting, funny and smart blog yesterday on Bossy Girl, in reference to the recent premiere of Love & Hip Hop Atlanta, which essentially was a ratchet-spin off of the original ratchet Love & Hip-Hop show featuring a whole heap of scallywags and attention whores. I will [gladly] admit that I have NEVER watched ONE episode of EITHER show, but judging from the ignorant fight clips posted on Worldstarhiphop, I can ALREADY tell what that bullsh*t is all about. Although I thoroughly enjoyed reading her article, I COMPLETELY disagree with the premise that VH1 HATES Black people, because they DON’T – they are just glad we HATE each other in a manner that can make them a lot of PROFIT.

When VH1 started to reach out to the Black community by displaying Flava Flav’s crackhead self all-over TV, they realized something about Urban-Negroid Ratchetness: It pays – VERY handsomely. And that began an ONSLAUGHT of IGNORANT Black TV focused on the frowsiest members of our community making the BIGGEST asses of themselves, including:

- Flavor Of Love
– Strange Love
– I Love New York
– New York Goes To Hollywood
– New York Goes To Work
– Flavor Of Love Girls: Charm School
– I Love Money
– Real Chance Of Love
– Ego Trip’s Miss Rap Supreme [and a bunch of other bullsh*t shows I'm probably forgetting]

But the one thing these shows have in common is that they attempted to appeal to Black folks by relying on low-hanging fruit and the most BASIC and frowsy common denominators: Raunchy sex appeal, violence and niggerish-ness – and on many levels, IT WORKED. So is VH1 really to blame? Can we say they REALLY hate Black folk? Or do they simply LOVE making money and we provide it to them in large supply by showing their ignorant shows MASSIVE support?

Did they really need to feature a Falcons player on the show? OH, that's a woman! My bad..

So my declaration is simply this – it’s Black people who REALLY hate Black people. We clamour to see images of ourselves on screen looking a hot damn mess, being loud, obnoxious and stereotypical, while collectively making Martin & Malcolm roll around in their graves like “See? This is why we can’t have nice things.” WE are the ones who are SO desperate for ignorance that we will gladly park our asses in front of the TV to witness RATCHETNESS from frowsy-negroes we don’t even know or never even heard of. It’s US who make these frowsy shows trend on Twitter – and it’s US who are responsible for the never-ending cycle of spin-off shows that somehow seem to find a way to ratchet up the, well, ratchetness.

And if there’s ONE thing I don’t wanna hear from ANY one of y’all, it’s the tired-ass “If there were more shows on TV presenting positive imagery of Black people, then we wouldn’t have to ‘resort’ to watching that crap!” And to all y’all who say that, I say SHUT. YOUR. DAMN. MOUTH. The reason y’all watch these shows is because you LIKE them, and the reason you DON’T watch documentaries on Sojourner Truth is because, deep-down, you find it BORING AS SH*T, but you don’t want to admit that for fear of being labelled an anti-intellectual and appearing dumb in the eyes of your colleagues – who, coincidentally, are ALSO watching the same sh*t on VH1 and not admitting it.

Let’s face the facts: Urban based TV shows, just like Urban based music, is trending towards being MORE frowsy and disgusting, and the reason it’s on air is NOT because the Networks have a secret agenda AGAINST us – it’s because we simply CAN’T get ENOUGH of the bullish*t.

06/21/2012 at 5:24 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, BE HONEST – Do You LIKE Watching Some Of These Ratchet Shows? What Do You Think About Love & Hip-Hop Atlanta??

No Judgement Here – We All Have Our Hidden Vices.

• petersburgh

06/21/2012 at 9:07 AM

Lincoln, I have no idea about any of those two shows. Honestly I have never heard of them. I've said this on my blog and I mentioned it on your Think like a Man blog that I don't really watch Black movies, shows etc and it's not because I'm not supporting my own either. Anything I believe is nonsense regardless of race, denomination or whatever other segregation method humans use, I will not watch it. Think like a Man was the first black movie I watch since one of those Tyler Perry movies and I'm not saying there aren't good black movies since then but I am saying I haven't seen any. I watched the first BET awards and none since then(actually I don't watch any awards anymore). All I do is listen to see if Rihanna got any.

People have said I'm racist because of this and I laugh to myself because I didn't know that refusing to be entertained by things that make my race look stupid is racist or that refusing to support anything that shows the negative side of my people makes me a person who doesn't love my race. That song from Potential whatever his name was which was on the last podcast was so much ignorance. Am I speaking out against my people because I think it is ignorance? If Sizzla sang that I wouldn't listen to it either. I don't watch white garbage either so regardless of colour if it is stupid, pointless or plain piss poor I won't watch it.

PS: anyone who can direct me to proper black shows I will be appreciative

• MistaHarsh

06/21/2012 at 10:42 AM

On the outside looking in Think like a man looked like a stereotypical "black movie" so what made you decide to watch it? The ignorance is at an all time high across the board so can you share the shows/movies you do watch and how you came to find them?

To answer your question it really depends what your interests are. Keep in mind there are plenty specialty channels that you can pay for with good programming. And when all else fails stick to reading books.

• Paul B.

06/21/2012 at 11:28 AM

The only reason I watched it was because it was my woman's birthday and that's what she wanted. A big part of me died that night because I was so opposed to seeing that crap and no I didn't enjoy it but I sucked it up.

• petersburgh

06/21/2012 at 12:22 PM

I just took a gamble. I heard most people saying it was a good film so I tried and was lucky in my opinion and the truth is it is all across the board so I don't watch as much shows as I used to. The truth is I do find myself blogging and reading blogs more often now rather than watch television

• ChloeRayne516

06/21/2012 at 10:38 AM

I ain't even gonna lie, that whole VH-1 lineup along with Bravos's RHO???? whatever city is my guilty pleasure. After physically and mentally pining away from 9-5 in corporate white collar america 5 days a week sometimes more, I need my dosage of ratchet hilarity AND at the end of the day none of these people are kinfolk to me so THEY DO NOT REPRESENT ME!!! I represent ME.

Sidenote: Love & HIP Hop of Atlanta thus far is the worst one I've seen yet but I ain't saying I'm gonna change the channel. *lolll8

• SMilez_920

06/21/2012 at 12:26 PM

lol yes girl… Love and hip hop Atlanta looks so scripted and just blah idk if I can make it through the season.
        Every color, race, and gender has a ratchet reality shows. I just need a balance for black people/women between ratchet reality shows and positive/good scripted shows that represent both sides of the coin.
        Also lets remember that the creators of the top two ratchet shows BBW and Love and hip hop are black women :/

2. gmomma

06/21/2012 at 7:03 AM

I AM WHITE AND HAVE 2 BLK/WHITE CHILDREN. I NEITHER WATCH NOR ALLOWED THEM TO WATCH THESE TYPE SHOWS AS I DIDN'T WANT THEM TO RESORT TO 'ACTING' OUT AS SUCH. SO FAR IT HAS WORKED, ALTHOUGH THEY ARE GROWN AND WATCH WHAT THEY WANT THEY VIEW IT AS RIDICULOUS, ALSO. (where do they come up with this garbage?)

3. Alex Parker

06/21/2012 at 7:23 AM

1. Gross overuse of the word "frowsy"
    2. Fantastic article, otherwise.
    3. I never watch these types of shows. I used to back in the Flavor of Love days, but then I graduated high school.

• Crystals_Back

06/21/2012 at 2:44 PM

You're new here huh?! LOL

4. Kam

06/21/2012 at 8:23 AM

I didn't watch a full episode of one of these realty shows till I visited my sister. I watched Basketball Wives It was disgusting grown women behaving like fools. I don't watch a lot of t.v. but I assure you I won't be tuning into any of those menstrual garbage shows.

People can say this is entertainment but to me its not. It really enforces poor stereotypes.

5. single black mother and dating

06/21/2012 at 9:34 AM

As a Black woman I have NEVER in my life met another Black woman like the characters they present on these shows! to be honest they must always be drunk, as we all know they have alcohol more reachable than water on these sets.

• Crystals_Back

06/21/2012 at 2:45 PM

I think it's mostly overreacting used to sell the show…I doubt many people act like that!

6. Dyquen

06/21/2012 at 10:22 AM

Watched Flavor of Love season 1 and it was the last show I watched. I must say that was the beginning of ratchetness and manly lookin New York was the most ratchet of the ratchet. So yeah i agree to VH1 having a thing for ratchet shows not just black ratchet shows, even though the black ratchet shows are the worst of them all. As the post above said, they must be on a constant supply of booze for this to go down.

7. SMilez_920

06/21/2012 at 10:26 AM

I can’t lie I have watched some of these shows. Now basketball wives I had to cut out and I think the same will be happening with Love and Hip Hop Atlanta. Listen all I ask for is balance. For every ratchet show if we have a show that projects us in a different light, I’m cool with that. White people have crazy shows where they fight and act a fool, but for every one of those reality shows they have 2 scripted that are great.

06/21/2012 at 10:28 AM

"it’s Black people who REALLY hate Black people." Nope. Some people just like seeing train wrecks on tv from people who they can relate to. Bottom line. VH1 is just cashing in on a market that wasn't tapped before. The other channels had the white reality tv shows and so VH1 picked up the black ones. Which just goes to show that blacks are a huge consumer base that she never be overlooked.

Sidenote: This does beg the question of why didn't BET get on this train BEFORE VH1 did.

I think people watch these shows b/c they are real life soap operas, they want to be a part of the conversation the next day on why someone is ratchet (i hate that term yet i find myself using it), they can compare themselves to the women on the shows to show why they are better, they like train wrecks, and/or it's actually entertaining to them.

• ChloeRayne516

06/21/2012 at 10:41 AM

"The other channels had the white reality tv shows and so VH1 picked up the black ones"

Basically…

• MistaHarsh

06/21/2012 at 11:56 AM

BET tried to copy MTV…remember Baldwin Hills and that College show? Vh1 just out-ratchet-ed(huh?) them

06/21/2012 at 1:24 PM

I stopped watching BET the moment i went to college. I didn't even know these shows existed.

• Crystals_Back

06/21/2012 at 2:46 PM

SO true SMH

9. uncle gryph

06/21/2012 at 10:44 AM

great article linc. i'd only add that these shows give black people an opportunity to cry `racism': a white cultural product that most of us would be completely lost without.

• MistaHarsh

06/21/2012 at 1:36 PM

where you been gryph?

*waits for an outlandishly creative response*

• uncle gryph

06/21/2012 at 2:37 PM

harsh my good friend (and by that i mean he who 'ive instructed my agents watch vigilantly'), i'll spare the grisly details, but when a brazillian heiress feels like she might need a little man-company before undergoing her third heart surgery, in as many months, my well-heeled – i mean honed – sense of chivalry demand that i 'be there for her'.

06/21/2012 at 10:58 AM

keep in mind all these "ratchet" shows are spawns of the original non-black counterparts (ie Real House Wives of Orange County, The Hills, Laguna Beach, The Bachelor, Big Brother) and there are current white ratchet shows that have high ratings too.

This has been going on for a while across the board I just think we're more aware of these other shows because we're more plugged into black culture.

The problem seems to be that we don't know where to find or identify positive shows and they might be right under our noses.

11. Vicky

06/21/2012 at 11:09 AM

Reality shows in general, no matter the race, are just stupid. I do not understand how people get sucked into the drama, I got too much drama in real life to even be interested in someone else's…..sadly, they get pay for it!

Lincoln, I see your point and you know I love your articles, but it's the public who crave this crap and they keep producing it. Everyone watches them no matter their race. I have women at my work who do nothing but watch all these shows and gossip about it the next day at work. To be honest, this group is a mix of women, black, white, south asian…you get it

12. Crystals_Back

06/21/2012 at 2:48 PM

I guess MTV hates Italian people too?!

• uncle gryph

06/21/2012 at 3:49 PM

didn't he clearly say that vh1 one doesn't hate black people?

13. Pingback: The Celebration of Failure in the Black Community « From Ashy to Classy

14. AngelaMaria

07/11/2012 at 4:43 PM

@gmomma……What the heck is a black/white child???? Anyway, I wonder how long black people are going to stop becoming pay checks for the whites, as well as their source of entertainment? It's 2012; enough already!

15. DDS

01/04/2013 at 7:43 AM

I think it's clear, people (especially Black people) simply love drama, even exaggerated drama. Unfortunately, it's the way of the world. Glad I don't watch that stuff.

16. DrShan

01/04/2013 at 2:19 PM

This is not about race; it's about lazy television networks, trifling scriptwriters, and people of all races who will demean themselves for money. There is plenty of assinine programming that caters to the base, marginal, and criminal elements of American culture. The tell-tale of the whole debate is the popularity of the shows and the lack of civilized protest against them.