Call Me Crazy – But I Really Don’t Give A DAMN What ANY Celebrities Sexuality Is

There’s a rumour going around that Frank Ocean is possibly gay or bisexual. This rumour has been met with ANGER, JOY, SORROW, DISGUST, SELF-RIGHTEOUS RELIGIOUS INDIGNATION, CONFUSION, CLAIMS OF BRAVERY & COMPASSION – and then in the corner, far from the crowd, lies me and a small group of people who have only one thought about Frank (and other celebrities sexual-preferences): “Who cares?”

And to be honest, it’s not just about celebrities, it’s regarding ALL people, famous or not, who we are NOT currently smashing or dreaming of smashing. Lately, there’s been a recent rash of celebrity outings and although I support anyone with the strength to come out of the closet in these days and times, the fact of the matter is that their sexual activities neither add nor subtract anything to their craft – the thing I actually like about them – therefore I can’t participate in the gossiping. It simply means nothing to me. Being gay doesn’t make Frank a much better or much worst artist – and if you think his sexuality is tied to his talent or it’s an extremely noteworthy part of his intrinsic skill-set, you are probably an anti-intellectual DOUCHEBAG.

Apparently THIS is suppose to be a letter he typed to himself that explains his first love being a man: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6me6uSdO81qdrz3yo1_1280.png

By the time you read this, this letter will have gone MASSIVELY viral and will probably be flooding your Twitter, Tumblr and Facebook timelines. This letter will be met with people laughing at him, calling him nasty, a HOMO, a battybwoy and other degrading, BS-terms. But it will also be met with tears of joy, exuberance and proclamations of historic bravery. But what will be lost and overlooked in the debating, the rhetoric, the ignorant propaganda and the hyperbolic reactions is the simple fact that his sexuality does not DEFINE his talents.

That letter doesn’t really impress me, not because it’s not eloquent, but because it’s nothing less than what I would expect from a creative genius like Frank. If you are in shock and war over his deep wordplay and ability to reflect his emotions, I suggest you listen to one of his amazing mixtapes. Frank Ocean would be an amazing singer-songwriter whether he slept with men, women, or just masturbated every night with a silk noose tied around his neck.

And it’s not just him. Anderson Cooper, who also strolled out of the closet this week, would be a smart, witty, intelligent, brave and classy man whether he climbs on top of a man, a woman or a Furry-Unicorn jumpsuit.

Diana King, who recently revealed she is a lesbian, would have been the gorgeous, fiery and amazing artist behind “Shy Guy” regardless of who was making her cum at night.

As a young boy who was raised on Marvin Gaye records EVERY-DAMN-DAY, I remember growing up and hearing about the rumours that he might have been homosexual which is part of the reason why his father murdered him. It was at that point, I had a decision to make: Do I A) dislike Marvin because our sexual interests were not aligned? Or B) like his music more because of the increased level of context I can put behind his lyrics? Well I chose C) Continue to LOVE every single record he put out and not give a DAMN about his personal life – and that’s simply how I feel today.

If coming out of the closet is a positive thing for you, I’m happy for you, but convey that information to everyone else, because what you do in your bedroom will NOT make me HATE you or LOVE you.

One Love.

If you enjoyed reading this piece please make sure to SUBSCRIBE to all NEW ThisIsYourConscience.com posts by entering your e-mail address in the box in the upper right hand corner. Your continued support is greatly appreciated!

07/04/2012 at 4:33 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, Do You Care What A Celebrities Sexual Preference Is? Does It Change The Way You Take In Their Performances?

• petersburgh

07/04/2012 at 6:15 AM

I don't give a damn and will not be reading that letter either because it has nothing to do with me. Unless we have a personal relationship I do not care about your sexual preference. Even if we do, what would upset me is the fact that you wouldn't have told me not that you are gay. I like Andy Cooper and didn't even know he was gay before reading this article and I will still like him.

I've tried too many times to tell people that you must learn to separate what you like about someone from the rest of their personal life. If you like a singer before you found out they were gay, it was their singing/talent that you loved so why does their sexual preference interrupt what you like about their singing now?

• Gina

07/04/2012 at 11:26 AM

I don't care about celebrities personal lives, but I can understand why people do, regardless. The ignorance that people have towards gays and lesbians is downright disgusting, and on the other hand gays and lesbians are "proud" that someone in the public eye is out of the closet, because it strengthens their community.
      Regardless who Frank Ocean is boning at night, I think that he is a talented musician, and Anderson Cooper, is one of the most compelling, and brave journalists to ever grace my television screen. (I watch Anderson Cooper 360 almost every night and I will NEVER forget his special live from Haiti.) I have a teacher, who is HIV positive and told us the first day of class about his escapades with men and women, I recently read his book (The Afterdeath Room) and have a special place in my heart for the LBGT community. I see their struggles every day so I can really understand why "coming out of the closet" is such a big deal to some people, in fact I commend people in the industry who come out.

• The_Mad_HATER

07/04/2012 at 3:05 PM

you dont got anything positive to say about diana king??? lol!!

2. Dyquen

07/04/2012 at 10:05 AM

I frankly don't give a shit either. And them coming out I don't see the reason why or the purpose of this but still I don't care as long as they keep doing what they have always don't and not change how they do it. Damn near everyone in entertainment and Hollywood is bi or gay some choose to come out, some keep it under wraps. I've not been surprised by anyone coming out the closet in Hollywood cuz its mostly "Duh nigga, we've been known that."

• The_Mad_HATER

07/04/2012 at 3:05 PM

yup there is some undercover brothers out there in hollywood!

3. NurseJilly

07/04/2012 at 10:07 AM

"NOT currently smashing or dreaming of smashing."… I can't lie, I've always had a thing for Anderson Cooper. I think he is so sexy and even after him "coming out" I still do. As far as Frank Ocean or anyone else goes I think its great that they found the courage to be open and honest (even though they don't owe us that) and I wish them luck.

07/04/2012 at 10:58 AM

I don't care, but I like how Cooper addressed it like it wasn't a big deal like it was something everyone already knew – because they did(at least I did) but really it doesn't matter.

However it irks me when people deny who they are for the sake of making millions and then when they milk the "hetro" market for all they can they come out the closet and write a book about it a la Ricky Martin. What irks me about it is when certain gay people compare their struggle with the struggle of race. Until a man can gain millions duping people and denying who he is and then at the end of his career say "Oh by the way, I'm black" I can't see how its the same struggle.

I think the couraegous ones are the gays/lesbians who have no money to protect them, to seclude them from harms way. People who have no power or public forum to sway people's opinion and STILL come out and be who they are OPENLY. I respect those a HELLUVA lot more.

• The_Mad_HATER

07/04/2012 at 3:04 PM

exactly!!

5. The_Mad_HATER

07/04/2012 at 11:42 PM

if you stopped listening to frank ocean because hes gay then you deserve to be called a fag!

6. freshenlightenment

07/05/2012 at 2:18 AM

no it should not be a concern because that's his life. It's funny how so many people are caught up worrying about what other people are doing wrong in their lives and trying to morally regulate them, when in reality they need to get their life in check.
    (sidenote: This past weekend a black male approached me and asked me for my number, I declined politely and so he started vocalizing his hatred for the pride parade that was happening downtown, what really baffled me was that this man, who was so outraged of the activities taking place at the parade attended the festivities to see what it was all about. All I can say is that cat was obviously curious)

07/05/2012 at 3:17 AM

He Sounds Like A Real Douche..

7. cyn cyn

07/05/2012 at 4:26 PM

everybody gay or a lesbian now n days.. aint nothing new!

8. iluvwhoiluv

07/06/2012 at 4:30 PM

The declaration of one's sexuality shouldn't take away from the person's talent, yet there are people who will stop their support for an artist when it comes out. Frankly, I could care less–be proud of who you are; it's a lot freeing that living a life of shame.

9. Pingback: Damn! You Changed On Me!! « From Ashy to Classy