How Our Overly-Litigious Society F*^KED-UP Our Humanity

Last night I read an article that absolutely floored me. Apparently, a man named Torrence Brown Jr., one of the victims in the Aurora, Colorado theatre-shooting, is threatening to sue the Century Aurora 16 movie theatre, Warner Brothers Ent., and the doctors for alleged Colorado gunman James Eagan Holmes. He is suing on the basis that he is now suffering from extreme trauma. Although words can’t express how deeply saddened I feel for him for having to be apart of such a tragic event, I DEFINITELY can find the words for this lawsuit: CLASSLESS.

Every country in the world has faced a time when their society was going through tragedies and horrific incidents, natural and man- made. North Americans suffered through slavery, a civil war, a sneak attack on Pearl Harbor, presidential assassinations, the Challenger Space Shuttle explosion, hurricanes, floods, tornados and many more incidents too numerous to mention, but the one important result of ALL of those tragedies is that it brought us all closer together as a united collective – but in today’s overly litigious society, we no longer have THAT unity.

Whether it was a bomb exploding in a building or an old woman falling down on the sidewalk, there once was a time when quick and timely assistance was the FIRST thought on our minds. It doesn’t matter if you owned the building, worked in the building or was just visiting the building, if something terrible happened to it, we ALL helped each other during, and especially AFTER the tragedy. But what Torrence’s lawsuit, combined with MILLIONS of other frivolous lawsuits, we have created a culture that can’t unite as one AFTER a tragedy, because we need to find someone to blame so we can determine who needs to PAY. And our desire to have someone pay is not out of an altruistic desire to see the victims be properly taken care of, it’s to PROFIT off of our PAIN – and it’s absolutely disgusting.

Now I must state, as someone who knows lawyers, that there ARE very reasonable reasons to sue someone, such as:

- Personal Irresponsibility (i.e. Someone falls asleep at the wheel and causes an accident)

- Professional Maleficence (i.e. Store owner doesn’t fix loose hand rail, and it breaks causing someone to fall down a flight of stairs)

- Terrible Oversights: (i.e. the Deepwater Oil Spill)

And obviously there are MUCH more examples.

Lawyers aren’t the full problem, because lawyers DO a LOT of good and help in MANY ways, but the point I want to stress is that we live in a society where we are so quick to sue, that even in moments of abject tragedy we MUST look out for ourselves, as opposed to thinking about the welfare of others.

When I was younger I always envisioned myself being the one to help people whenever they needed it – and then I went to school and learned that a person could be sued for attempting to help save someones life, if they do ANYTHING to make it worse. After that day, I changed my outlook on life, because I figured ‘I’ll be DAMNED if I’m gonna get sued for trying to unsuccessfully resuscitate someone’. And it’s THAT mentality that is so apparent in how companies treat their customers, and how we treat each other.

The reality is Torrence does NOT deserve any money from any doctors, Warner Bros, and definitely not the movie theatre, for he deserves the one thing that he is lucky to have now, despite the pain he’s feeling – his life. If you think this lawsuit is justified, then it would be justifiable to sue the TV network that caught JFK’s assassination on tape, or suing Leslie E. Roberts & Associates [The engineers that built that the World Trade Center] for 9/11. It’s NOT about your pain and suffering, it’s about being first on the scene to GRAB CASH; It’s not about helping your peers cope, it’s about deciphering which one of your peers you can blame. Pain is a part of life, so unfortunately you HAVE to deal with it, and forcing people around you to provide you with compensation for your loss only makes you look like a DOUCHE.

07/25/2012 at 6:32 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, Do You Think Torrence's Lawsuit Has Merit Or Do You Think It's Complete BS??

07/25/2012 at 6:38 AM

As we discussed over twitter, I never understood American laws because in cases just like this, it just doesn't make sense. I've never been shot so I can't pretend to understand how he feels but the logic behind the suit is retarded. Should the theatre have showed the movie earlier or later as to avoid the idiot who shot it up or should the doctors ignore ANYONE'S pain?

In my early teens I heard that a guy fell down while breaking into someone's house and sued because he slipped on something and WON. I was about 13 years old and was like what the… I'm sure it was a decent word but I was like how is that possible? Am I to put up a sign outside saying break in at your own risk?

07/25/2012 at 7:02 AM

LoL! Real Talk Tho!

On The Outside Looking In On America, It Seems Frivolous Lawsuits Are What's Hot In The Streets These Days Unfortunately.

• Smilez_920

07/25/2012 at 9:04 AM

Frivolous lawsuits keep lawyers feed in the dry spell lol. I agree people try to sue you for any and everything, and the American legal system had become a media circus in so many ways, if a lawyer or plaintive thinks they can get press off the situation they will. This might be the PR student in me, but if a Warner Bros studio wants some good press they can pay for the funerals or therapy for victims of the shooting, BATMAN made millions of dollars so they could cover the bill if they want to

07/25/2012 at 11:58 AM

I Wouldn't Do That If I Was Warner Because People Will STILL Try To Sue Them Anyways!

• MistaHarsh

07/25/2012 at 1:40 PM

that and they'd say the act of covering funeral costs was an act of admitting guilt!

07/25/2012 at 1:50 PM

Exactly. The Only Way Warner Can Win Is Keeping Their Mouths Shut And Hoping Everything Blows Over.

• cynicaloptmst81

07/25/2012 at 11:50 AM

From the inside looking in, it seems frivolous lawsuits are what's hot the in the streets these days, LMBO!

Feel for the guy…but this lawsuit is utterly ridiculous. Where is his Mama?!

07/25/2012 at 11:59 AM

Where Is His Psychiatrist?? He Needs Counselling Not A Lawyer.

3. BADDEST

07/25/2012 at 9:03 AM

I have a good one….was in court the other day supporting a friend and the case being heard right before hers was a woman who had come home to the house she shares with her boyfriend, found a woman in her bed with her man and went ape shit….dude pushed her out of the room and then eventually the house…she then went on to kick in the door and was subsequently charged with breaking and entering!!!
    SO SAD and such perversions of law…….I think it comes down to the individual against the corporation mentality thats around these days…..people have no family bond or community strength any longer so instread of blaming mom and dad for all our problems like we did in the past we look to corporations for some dysfunctional replacement to all that……strange days…

• cynicaloptmst81

07/25/2012 at 11:55 AM

Oh see!!!!!!!!!!!!

My rap sheet woulda been EXTENSIVE over some mess like that, lol. That's all they charged her with?!

What about breaking and entering PLUS assault with a deadly weapon…Destruction of property.

Man. That just ain't even right.

• BADDEST

07/25/2012 at 1:16 PM

oh yeah there were more charges for sure about the violence she inflicted on the man and woman…..which i believe was the reasoning behind the breaking and entering charge as he had pushed her out of the room and house to " defend" himself……smh….

07/25/2012 at 12:01 PM

Wait Did She Share The House Officially Or Just In A "Playing House" Kind Of Way?

• BADDEST

07/25/2012 at 1:31 PM

From what i understood they were considered common law……not sure about the ownership specifics…..the judge was scoffing at the whole thing for the most part….its a tangent to the present article i know….but makes me crazy how subjective the word of the law can be.

• Smilez-920

07/25/2012 at 1:44 PM

lol I mean you have to think before you act you can’t just hit people, and they take the ass whooping like an adult anymore. If the lady pressed charges with the guy for assault I can understand that. But the breaking and entering is ridiculous. If I paid any bill in that house I would have showed it to the judge and kindly told them, "who breaks and enters into a house they pay bills in"

07/25/2012 at 1:51 PM

Co-Sign!

07/25/2012 at 1:51 PM

Oh Ok, Because That Sounds So Crazy To Me, I Was Hoping Dude Had SOME Ground To Stand On.

4. Vicky

07/25/2012 at 11:53 AM

He's an idiot – you want to sue, sue the gun man for causing your pain and suffering. The simple fact that you are going after the theater, WB and doctors is too evident that you are looking for money. I empathize the situation but I cannot agree with this lawsuit.

07/25/2012 at 12:02 PM

Exactly My Point Too. It's Less Than A Week After The Tragedy, OF COURSE You Will Have Serious Mental Trauma.

• Smilez_920

07/25/2012 at 1:45 PM

he's not that traumatized if he can think about a lawsuit, off the back.

07/25/2012 at 1:52 PM

The Question Is, Is HE The Main Driving Force Behind This Lawsuit?!

07/25/2012 at 2:04 PM

A lot of the these lawsuits happen because the lawyers agree to represent them with no initial fees. What's that marketable phrase? "If we don't win your case our services are free." I don't know if this guy had a lawyer but a battery in his back but the average person doesn't know under what grounds they can sue or what amount they should initially ask for or even what settlement they can expect, a lawyer is advising them from a-z. If they could put themselves in a neckbrace they would.