I WISH There Were A Lot More OPENLY Racist, Sexist & Antigay Companies

So yesterday I was surfing Twitter as per usual, and I noticed that a company called Chick-fil-A was trending. This was only noticeable to me because I watch A LOT of College Football and I know one of the annual bowl games is the Chick-fil-A bowl, but I never really knew anything about them. To be honest I just figured they were some successful hybrid knockoff of KFC and Popeye’s. So out of raw interest, I clicked on their name and noticed that the reason they were trending was due to the president of their company, Dan Cathy, stating that they are a Christian company that is completely against gay marriage. And if you ask me, that’s FANTASTIC.

I instantly became excited to share the good news with my lesbian friends, but first I decided to keep reading the article – and thank GOD I did, because it only got better. According to Mr. Cathy, not only are they are extremely religious and antigay company, but in 2009 and 2010 they actually DONATED $2 Million dollars to groups that oppose same-sex marriage such as the Family Research Council and the Marriage & Family Foundation. So if any gay, lesbian or transgender person ATE at a Chick-fil-A, they were actually financially supporting a chain of restaurants hellbent on DESTROYING their fight for their rights. Although Chick-fil-A was first opened in 1967, it saddens me that it took them until 2012 to make their stance abundantly clear – which they have the right to do – and what’s so amazing about this incident is now we, the consumers, can make the informed choice not to EVER support their ass ever again.

When I called up my lesbian friend and explained to her the BULLSH*T that this DOUCHEBAG said, her immediate response was “looks like I will never be eating from there again” and to hear her say that made me SO proud – of Chick-fil-A. I am PROUD of any racist, sexist or antigay company that has the BALLS to come out and declare their inherent dislike for a specific segment of their customers. I was PROUD when I read Frederic Rouzaud of Cristal state that he wasn’t interested in having Black folks pop his champagne and I will be PROUD of any other company that comes out stating similarly ignorant yet honest BULLSH*Tbecause it gives us the opportunity to know where NOT to route our money.

Somewhere in North America there is a gay person who is fighting for the right to marry their lover, who also happens to LOVE Chick-fil-A. They could have easily been pumping hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars into that company, just to unknowingly have those funds used against them in a campaign of ignorance. Well now they are properly informed – and with knowledge comes GREAT power. As much as Dan Cathy has the right to express his views publicly, we as the consumers have the POWER to stop patronizing his establishment. THAT’S Why I wish there were a LOT more openly racist, sexist and antigay companies – because then it would be A LOT easier to know who to AVOID.

07/19/2012 at 6:43 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, What Are Your Thoughts On Companies Who State Their Beliefs? Do You Respect Them For Doing So, Think They Are Douchebags For Not Sticking To Business Or Happy That They Revealed Their Ignorance?

2. Adrian

07/19/2012 at 8:21 AM

Real Talk! This message must be made clear to all companies: Be open with your bulls**t, so I can make the informed decision to boycott yuh rass!

07/19/2012 at 1:33 PM

Co-Sign 100%

07/19/2012 at 9:47 AM

Agreed but if that happens we probably won't buy many things at all. I appreciate brute honesty though and whether it's BS or not, it's always welcomed in my book

07/19/2012 at 1:34 PM

I Think It Would Come Down To Choosing The Ignorance You're OK With. I Would Rather Support An ANti Gun Control Company Than One Who Believes Black People Are The Devil.

4. NurseJilly

07/19/2012 at 9:57 AM

I like to support people and businesses that are doing good things in this world so I actually think its great that they are being honest about their ignorance because I can make a point of never supporting them.

07/19/2012 at 1:34 PM

Exactly!

5. Smilez_920

07/19/2012 at 10:18 AM

Well I’m not surprised there a Christina company. Chick Filla is a very religious. They’re not even open on Sundays, and their heavily located in the south. Trust people won’t stop eating there, that chicken is amazing. Minus a few people we’ll probably see the same amount of gay people who have been eating there continue to eat there once everything cools down.
    But I like this post. Everyone is so politically correct; let me know how you feel. Just like Crystal vodka. All the rappers were drinking it, then the owner was like, I don’t like your kind drinking my beverage, Jay Z said cool and I haven’t herd a reference, or seen a bottle been massed order in the clubs since.

07/19/2012 at 12:09 PM

I still refuse to eat at Denny's. Its been what….20years since that incident? Don't care how "amazing" the food is, its your hard earned money use your discretion on how you spend it….FYI people went from crystal to other alcoholic drinks none of which are owned by the people who push them the most. In capitalism the almighty dollar trumps all, I don't think other vodka companies are going to make the same mistake.

07/19/2012 at 1:36 PM

It's Funny Because That Incident Was The Impetus For Many Black Entertainment Moguls To Get Into The Alcohol Business.

• Smilez_920

07/19/2012 at 3:53 PM

I wrote the crystal example just of people hearing their business is not wanted and them saying " ok cool" and taking their money else where. Again I don't know the feelings of other vodka companies just that one imparticular .

07/19/2012 at 1:37 PM

It Really Troubles Me How Many MORE Companies There Are Out There That HATE Black Folks, Yet We Continue To Pour Dollars Into Their Establishments.

6. cynicaloptmst81

07/19/2012 at 10:51 AM

This is just really difficult for me. Smh.

I'm for gay marriage. But I don't think being against gay marriage makes a person hateful of gay people. Whether we agree with their stance or not, if they believe that it's wrong, the reason's they believe its wrong are they only reasons they are against it. I am not my sexuality…or my hair…or my job…or simply my skin color. I am a complex person. I respect folks right to dislike/not approve of aspects of what I choose to do with my life. It doesn't mean they hate me…or that they are racists, phobes, etc. Misinformed? Maybe. Misguided? Maybe.

I don't know. I'm probably making this a bit personal cause of personal issues but…I wish people of all genders, sexes, races, etc. would just be respectful of folks right not embrace every choice a person makes (I'm not speaking of uncontrolled urges…but the choice to act on them)…and stop trying to force their wants on others. There will be a vote near you…the majority will win. Live where you can live how you want.

• Smilez_920

07/19/2012 at 11:25 AM

+1. I don’t think Chick Fil-A has some type of personal agenda against the Gay community. They are a Christine based company. They’re not even open on Sundays. I’m not surprise that they don’t support Gay marriage, it wouldn’t fit with their moral code. It's not like they're saying we don’t support Gay marriage, and we don’t hire gay people and we hate gay people.

I’m glad you said this. Just because someone doesn’t agree with or relate to your life style, doesn’t mean they hate you personally. Just like Gay's want the right to live their lives freely without judgment or ridicule, why cant someone who says, hey I love all people but my religious beliefs and moral codes don’t agree with gay marriage be shown the same support. (Again 'm sure they're will be people in the LGBT community will protest which is their right)

07/19/2012 at 11:41 AM

Exactly! Man, I wish I could get all emo on here and explain what's going on in my personal life with all this but…I mean I get that everyone wants to be accepted but the real honest truth is that NO ONE is EVER fully accepted by EVERYONE for EVERYTHING! That's why every man doesn't fall for every woman. That's why every person isn't hired for every job. I don't care that the show "Girls" doesn't have a black girl…so what?! You need to see a black girl…watch a show with one in it. Forcing stuff on folks…and making them feeling bad for not thinking, feeling, or believing as you do is just so freaking annoying…so freaking annoying.

• kema

07/19/2012 at 11:52 AM

*Nods head* true true!

• Abu Husain

07/19/2012 at 12:07 PM

Great point!

07/19/2012 at 1:18 PM

But you feel that way because of personal reasons. I don't think you're seeing it objectively. What if there were no other shows with black girls? Back in the 60s when Black people marched and had sit ins don't you think white people felt the same thing you feel? "Stop forcing stuff" "don't make me feel gulity" "I never owned slaves" blah blah blah.

I will not equate the gay struggle to the black struggle but you can easily replace what you said with respect to gay with what someone else would say with respect to black people and their rights

07/19/2012 at 1:53 PM

Good Ass Point.

07/19/2012 at 2:44 PM

Sorry but I just totally, totally seperate the two. No example swapping out black for gay works for me cause the reasoning is totally different in sincere cases. I say "in sincere cases" cause there are some hateful folks out there. Their intentions are wrong and hateful which makes any and all of their actions wrong. But, I don't think the average person/religious person is one of them.

07/19/2012 at 4:08 PM

"Their intentions are wrong and hateful which makes any and all of their actions wrong. But, I don't think the average person/religious person is one of them."

You're not separating your personal views from the issue. like I said there were non blacks back then that said be satisfied you're free but I don't believe you should vote, inter-mingle with our women, drink from our fountain, go to our schools. They didn't say they hated us they said you can have your own just don't touch theirs. They would argue that they weren't hurting us or hateful to us too.

Ever heard a non black person say "hey you have a black president what are you angry about racism is done" – really so we should be happy we aren't being lynched publicly anymore but ok with the fact that we're modern day slaves in the prision system….yeah ok.

If you feel a religious person is justified simply because its part of their faith then how can people hate on Islamic extremist who went "jihad" on the world trade center? It was their belief as well.

07/19/2012 at 4:26 PM

And the root reasoning for the statement in your 3rd paragraph goes back to the black struggle which we already disclosed is not comparable to this.

Again, I don't agree with their stance. But, I think they are entitled to have it…and I understand why they have it. Voting against gay marriage and encouraging votes against gay marriage and knocking down the world trade center with thousands of innocent folks in it of various nationalities, religions, and ages are two different things (beliefs determine who you think blew up the building, lol…bad example). But, as was mentioned down thread, you have no right to kill people for their different views. You do have the right to have different views and even promote different views…even if they are crazy views. If I had my way, there'd be no Fox News…No VH1…no BET (we'd still have TvONE, lol)…and no Bill Maher (funny guy, a few good points, but no, lol). But, they keep chuggin along…

We can agree to disagree…and I'm certain you don't hate me. ;-)

07/19/2012 at 5:20 PM

We can agree to disagree…and I'm certain you don't hate me. ;-)

- likewise

07/19/2012 at 5:26 PM

for the record the root reasoning behind the 3rd paragraph is this: Just because an opposing group of people don't outwardly hate another group of people it doesn't make their opposing views morally sound, correct or acceptable.

'tis all

07/19/2012 at 5:39 PM

…and who determines what's moral, correct or acceptable? What is that belief or set of values based on?

LOL! I missed my calling to be a lawyer or something, LOL!

I need to chill on watching Law & Order. I'm so sorry, MistaHarsh, LOL!

07/19/2012 at 1:53 PM

I Feel You Here, But Chick-fil-A Is Good Example Of Plain Old Intolerance. I Have No Problem With John Mayer Saying His Dick Is A White Supremacist. That's Actually Kind Of Funny. But, If John Mayer Had Followed Up That Statement With A Large Investment Into "Cake Soap" Demanding All Dark Skin Girls Scrub The "Ugly, Black" Out, Then His Opinion Goes From His Individual Stance, Into The Land Of Ignorance.

07/19/2012 at 2:47 PM

"That's Actually Kind Of Funny."

Agreed! LOL…

Plus, I don't find him attractive…black, white, or combo…so I really don't care, lol.

• Shaun

07/20/2012 at 1:39 PM

Please speak to everyone on this anti-homophobic bandwagon. I am so tired of gay rights supporters maligning people because they do not support that lifestyle, As it is someone's right to live their life openly gay, it's another person's right to openly express his opinion and not be castigated for it.

• greyskys

07/19/2012 at 11:50 AM

Saying you don't support something and actively fighting to suppress it are two seperate things.
        So if I say to someone, " I don't like the way you dress" that's a lot different then saying, " I don't like way you dress and will use everything in power to see that you're never allowed to dress that way again". Would it be crazy if the person took that personally?

07/19/2012 at 12:00 PM

Maybe I just have a different tolerance level or expectation. But they aren't fighting against you personally…they are fighting against a specific thing that happens to affect you. I don't dislike or feel personally attacked by republicans who are actively working to get Obama out of office. I didn't feel personally attacked because the church I grew up in, under the leadership of a specific Pastor, refused to allow me to serve in leadership cause I wore jewelry outside of church. I still speak to him…think he's a great, caring person. Its wasn't about me, the person…we just had a major difference in opinion. I left and went to a church where I could serve and dress as I wanted too. I was annoyed, yes…and inconvenienced. But, no…I knew it wasn't about him not liking or hating ME.

• greyskys

07/19/2012 at 12:36 PM

Ok, I can see how that makes sense. For me, in the situation you described, I'd consider it personal. He took something he didn't like about you and decided to impede your progress in that situation. Or I should say it sounds personal from the information you provided.

07/19/2012 at 1:29 PM

Discrimination – the prejudicial treatment of an individual based on his or her membership – or perceived membership – in a certain group or category. It involves the group's initial reaction or interaction, influencing the individual's actual behavior towards the group or the group leader, restricting members of one group from opportunities that are available to a group, leading to the exclusion of the individual or entities based on logical or irrational decisionmaking.

I don't think wearing jewelry outside of church falls under that category and as far as Republicans go we already know how they feel.

07/19/2012 at 3:21 PM

I know what discrimination is…but thanks for the definition. And how that word applies here will differ based upon beliefs…which folks are entitled to have.

I brought up my personal experience cause I could relate to that versus the hypothetical clothes example given…not cause I thought it fell under the same category…neither did the clothes example, lol. And no, we don't know what every republican feels…that's what's wrong with generalizations.

07/19/2012 at 4:15 PM

agreed. I wrote that because didn't want to elaborate.

we already know how republicans feel STEREOTYPICALLY lol

07/19/2012 at 2:01 PM

I Agree With You 95% On This.

We Are Eye-To-Eye When It Comes To Corporations And Other Groups Being Able To Have Their Own Ideologies And Rules. They Are Free To Have Whatever Beliefs They Want, And They Are Free To Exclude Whoever They Want For Whatever Cogent Reason They Have.

BUT, Hate Foundations Are The WORST Thing To Happen To Modern Society, Whether It's The KKK OR The Family Research Council – Especially When They Are Backed By Big Business. They Begin To Control The Media, They Gave Social Significance And Before You Know It They Are Influencing Politics And Policies – Just Like The Tea Party.

• Shaun

07/20/2012 at 1:42 PM

Then Linc you should have written your post about hate foundations. Educate those of us who don't know (not living in North America), what those are.

• Vicky

07/19/2012 at 12:15 PM

"i don't like the way you dress" is simply an opinion. The later is a personal "attack" which of course would be taken personally because now YOU are going to try to do something to change ME.

• SMilez_920

07/19/2012 at 12:22 PM

Chick-fil-a didn’t go on a tirade trying to get Gay marriage stopped. Someone asked them their stance and they said “We don’t support it”. They didn’t say "we don’t agree with gay marriage and will go to great lengths to make sure it doesn’t happen". If you personally don’t want to support the company because of it then fine, but don’t try to make their statement sound hateful.

• greyskys

07/19/2012 at 12:28 PM

They said they've given money to groups that actively fight for a cause they don't believe in. So you're right, they aren't the ones out there fighting to supress it. They're helping someone else fight that battle.

07/19/2012 at 2:01 PM

Exactly What I Was Just Gonna Say.

07/19/2012 at 3:49 PM

They have been pressed, and pressed, and pressed to speak on this issue and so finally they did. They didn't shout it at the roof tops.

07/19/2012 at 4:04 PM

That's Corporate Cowardice.

07/19/2012 at 4:22 PM

Nope. That's not wanting to say. Obviously, we are privy to their contributions so if you have that information, why does the company need to say anything?

07/19/2012 at 4:28 PM

Let's Make One Thing Very Clear: A Corporation Is NOT Required To Have Political Or Social Stances – They CHOOSE To Do That.

Many Business Owners And High Profile Employees Make A Concerted Effort To Differentiate Their Own PERSONAL Beliefs From The Company's Overall Opinion [And Leave The Company Opinion-Less].

BUT, Dan Cathy Stated Chick-fil-A Was Created As A Christian Company With Overt Christian Beliefs. The Company Was BORN With A Specific Set Of Mandates From It's Inception In 1967. Just Because They Avoided ADMITTING That In Fear Of Loss Of Profits And Social Backlash Does NOT Make Them Brave Or Honest Or Respectable.

07/19/2012 at 4:49 PM

Ok. I see the problem. You may not know this about Chick-fil-A but they are a privately held family company. Meaning that they are not public and are ran by the same family that started the company. As such, they have NEVER hidden their Christian views. This is why they are closed on Sunday.

07/19/2012 at 6:26 PM

My Point Is, Being Antigay Has Been A Part Of Christianity Ever Since Leviticus Was Put In It, Obviously Before Chick-fil-A Incorporated. They Could Have & Should Have DIRECTLY Stated Their Views On This Matter The FIRST Time They Were Asked Since Their Company Was Founded On Those Beliefs.

The Fact That They SIDESTEPPED Those Questions When They Initially Came Up [Ironically Around The Same Time The Votes Were Occurring] Is Simply Cowardice.

07/19/2012 at 1:55 PM

Exactly. This Is The Problem That Chick-fil-A Is Presenting.

07/19/2012 at 1:50 PM

Unfortunately You Would Be Wrong About That. They Definitely Have An Issue Not Just With Gay People Getting Married, But Gay People Even Being Gay In The First Place.

They Financially Support Foundations That Believe You Can "Hypnotize" Gays Into Becoming Straight.

That's Where The Ignorance Is.

07/19/2012 at 12:42 PM

black people weren't allowed to vote. But I assure you those times they'd say "Well we don't hate you but we don't believe you should have that right we gave you freedom be satisfied with that"

When you try to tell a specific group of people what you can and cannot do you are in essence making an attack. I've never heard of a "loving" attack. You don't have to like it but don't discriminate.

07/19/2012 at 1:26 PM

First, I hate any comparisons to black oppression in the US and gay rights…they are two totally different things, imo. We were kickin it in Africa…kings & queens…when they uprooted us, brought us and violated us here because they found us to be subpar (due to blackness, culture, etc.). We eventually got freedom and rights in the land they brought us to. Our skin color is given by nature (with the exception of Michael Jackson and tanners)…not debatable. To oppress us due to something beyond our control (our being here and our skin color) is inexcusable.

Now, I'm neither a scientist or gay, so I don't know if folks are born gay or not. There's debate for both. Race is not debatable. You are black or you are not.

Now, in part, I agree with you…which is why I am not against gay marriage…its a slippery slope telling folks what they can and can't do. But, I still don't view it as a personal attack against gays in general.

Are folks even considering how some religious folks honestly feel offended by this? They hold marriage to be a sacred religious union…which happens to be legally honored by the states. They view the request as an attack on marriage as well. You can't simply bypass their feelings or confusion about the matter. You want empathy and to be understand (not you, lol…people), give it…even when you don't agree.

• vexer

07/19/2012 at 1:35 PM

Well the fact is marriage was never sacred to begin with, people originally married as a way to own property, love had little to do with it, and looking at all these celebrities getting married and divorced in a short time now should tell you that marriage is still hardly "sacred" in the least. I see no sane reason why gay people who love one another can't have the same rights as everyone else.

07/19/2012 at 2:37 PM

This is what YOU believe. Not what they believe.

We can't want to hold others to our beliefs while we protest them trying to hold folks to theirs.

State your belief. Vote. Live. Vote doesn't go your way? Win more folks to your side through conversations/debates. Vote again. Live. All this finger pointing "you hate me/you're evil" stuff is just really unneccesary to me.

• Smilez_920

07/19/2012 at 1:38 PM

That's all I'm trying to say cynicaloptmst81.

I have no problem with gay marriage let people live their lives . but I understand both sides of the coin and where both groups are coming from. Now if the gay community wants to protest thats fine and that's their right.

I guess I'm focusing on the topic minus chick fil a. Just regular people and their feelings towards gay marriage. People have the right to not agree with a certain lifestyle( gay marrige).

What they dont have the right to do is interfer with people who practice that lifestyle in a violent or disrespectful way ( harassment, ridicule , abuse etc…)

07/19/2012 at 2:34 PM

We are >>>HERE<<<, lol…

07/19/2012 at 2:05 PM

First if you've read all my responses to you, you'd see that I don't equate the gay struggle to the black struggle at all. You can't hide your skin colour but you can hide your sexuality from people til convenient a la Frank Ocean and the owner of the Phoenix Suns(already wrote on this previously). But we're talking about a group of people not having a right to be married which I COMPLETELY equate to groups of people(women, other minorities) not having a right to vote.

You've said you're not against gay marriage. Iet me ask you this: Do you approve of it?

Furthermore do you ever wonder where some of North American laws originate from? Religion, yet we are so adaminately against a religious state (Islamic, Jewish etc). If you don't think religously based laws should be revised I hope you realise that you indirectly support a reglious state.

In Ontario the Catholic district school board is fully funded by the government where as other religous faith schools are not why do you think that is?

Again, I'm being objective here.

07/19/2012 at 2:32 PM

You brought up the example about blacks and their right to vote…which I didn't want to touch at all cause of what I already explained. That's where that rant came from. So, on that portion, we agree. Again, I agree that people who want to vote should vote…and people who want to get married should get married.

Are you asking if I "yes, I'd attend or participate in a gay wedding" approve? The answer is not black or white for me. It depends on several things…things that I'd rather not disclose cause its tap dancing on some personal things and I'm just not trying to go there right now, lol. It's bad enough Linc posted this this week of all weeks, lol…smh.

I'm not here to debate what's right or wrong about their religious views/laws. The point is, its their views…and they have a right to have them and it doesn't make folk hateful. They just believe differently.

I do find your Ontario – catholic school comment to be quite interesting though…and not in a good way, lol. Never knew that.

07/19/2012 at 3:50 PM

Agreed on gays comparing what they are through to the civil rights movement. Stop and have a seat.

07/19/2012 at 5:33 PM

**Stands ON his seat**

You obviously didn't read my comments. As well, the right to vote was not exclusively a black struggle do your research twice over.

07/19/2012 at 5:50 PM

The right to vote? What are you talking about? I commented on what cynical said. Now have a seat and calm down.

• Smilez_920

07/19/2012 at 1:47 PM

But how are they discriminating , it's not like they said we don't hire gay people or we don't serve gay people. They said we don't believe in Gay marriage. I mean their a Christine based company, why would people even assume that they would agree with gay marriage.

I went to a catholic college. Trust they did not encourage homosexuality nor did thu encourage gay marriage . But at the same token they never discriminated against gay students, they had all the same rights and privileges as straight students, nor did they allow any type of hate to be spread. But at the same token when students wanted a LGTB organization, it didn't go down because the school is not going to disrregard their beliefs.

07/19/2012 at 4:23 PM

remember that rumour that Snapple was run but the KKK. If Snapple told you they had black employees would that change your view on them and would you spent your dollar with that corporation?

• NurseJilly

07/19/2012 at 1:32 PM

I see what you are saying in regards to not supporting something like gay marriage but the other example is just down right unacceptable. Not wanting black people to drink Cristal is a very derogatory statement. I would love to see that company go under for spouting hate like that.

07/19/2012 at 1:48 PM

I Would Believe You In MOST Circumstances – But Not THIS One.

The Problem With Chick-fil-A Is That They Donate A LOT Of Money To Weird, Radical Foundations. These Foundations Are Basically Run By Religious, Sanctimonious NUTS. Like, For Example:

In its investigation, Equality Matters reveals donations have been made to several groups with strong anti-gay credentials, including:

- $4,800 to The Fellowship of Christian Athletes who condemn gay people as living an “impure lifestyle” and have, in conferences, indicated that they support cure attempts with the message that God can deliver people from homosexuality.

- $5,000 to the Alliance Defense Fund who regularly and willfully take on lawsuits that are designed to challenge and roll-back LGBT equality. The Southern Poverty Law Center lists the Alliance Defense Fund as one of America’s most influential groups fighting against LGBT equality.

- $1,000 to the Family Research Council who have been condemned by a variety of organizations for continued anti-LGBT misrepresentation.

- $631,000 to the National Christian Foundation which is a grant-making foundation that in turn supports numerous anti-gay organizations such as The Family Research Council and Focus on the Family to name but a few. Chick-fil-A partnered with Focus on the Family for a time in 2005 – Focus on the Family is widely known to advocate religious based sexual orientation change therapy.

See The Problem Is That They Are Not Only AGAINST Gay Marriage, They Are AGAINST Gay People And In Favor Of Radical Bullshit Like "Sexuality Changing Hypnosis" And Other Insane Things. They Are Beyond Ignorant.

In My World, Having A Stance Is Fine – But When That Opinion Starts Infringing On People's RIghts To Even EXIST, Then I Have A Problem With You.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/equality-matters-trac

• greyskys

07/19/2012 at 3:13 PM

Thanks for listing all the ways Chick-fil-A is not "just saying" they don't support gay marriage. It's absolutely above a beyond that.

• Midge

05/21/2014 at 12:29 AM

Hajlleulah! I needed this-you’re my savior.

• Smilez_920

07/19/2012 at 3:49 PM

Point taken. I guess I kind of got off of the chick fil-a thing and kind of went into indiviulas not agreeing with gay marriage.

The real question is how will this protest affect their bottom line , profit , if any at all. Chick fil-a is located predominantly in the south.

07/19/2012 at 3:45 PM

Very well stated. People will boycott chik-fil-a. I will not be one of those people. I cannot tell you how many times i am driving back home, see a Chik-fil-a sign and get excited only to be disappointed that it is a Sunday and they are closed. :-) They should stand for what they believe in. Bottom line. Though i do agree with the article, i wouldn't call Chik-fil-a ignorant. They have done their fair share to help kids go to college and have given back to the community. They are definitely a family establishment.

07/19/2012 at 4:22 PM

Not Ignorant?

This Is What Chick-fil-A Uses Their MILLIONS To Support: http://youtu.be/L9v2uk99o2E

07/19/2012 at 4:55 PM

Sorry but…

I will say this, the gay community has done an AMAZING job to make people feel guilty about not supporting them in EVERYTHING that they do and not supporting those who don't agree with them.

This is a Christian owned business from the south that does not believe in gay marriage. So be it. I agree with what you wrote but i have friends who do not believe in gay marriage or people being gay and i would never call them a bigot or ignorant for that matter. People will make their decision and if they choose not to go to chick-fil-a then they won't go.

07/19/2012 at 6:30 PM

If It Was That Simple I Wouldn't Have A Problem With It, But The Bigger Problem Is Lobbyists And Corporate-Built Foundations That Influence People's Opinions.

Google The Koch Brothers. This Is NOT Just One Small Business Talking About Their Opinions On ONE Topic. It's MUCH Deeper Than That.

7. cynicaloptmst81

07/19/2012 at 3:10 PM

Again, I can understand and have empathy for both sides. But, this blame "you're evil and you hate me" game cause I don't want you to do what you're doing isn't just with this debate. It pops up when you discuss so much stuff (religion, health care, Obama, etc.)…and I'm pretty fed up with all of it, lol. People are more than just gay…they are brothers, sisters, daughters, sons, co-workers, bowlers, lol…so many aspects of life and living to list. So someone's not feeling one aspect of you (or what you want to do) and now you assume that they're automatically against all that makes you you? I'm not with that.

07/19/2012 at 4:30 PM

Fyi I'm more than just black too. So if someone hates my skin but loves me as a "person"….black people hear this all the time:
      "Your pretty cool for a black guy"
      "At first I thought you'd be a stereotypical black person but you can hang"
      "I normally don't date black chick but you're different"

Gee, thanks

07/19/2012 at 4:41 PM

Its funny cause there was a time that I prob woulda rocked with this, lol.

But, there was a post on SBM not too long ago where the writer spoke of the fact that there really are some white folks that are so insulated into their own culture that they really don't know any better (and what they see on TV doesn't help, lol)…and sometimes they really don't mean to be hurtful when they say things like that. *shrugs* I guess you gotta judge each situation accordingly…which is kinda tying into my point, lol.

07/19/2012 at 5:41 PM

"and sometimes they really don't mean to be hurtful when they say things like that."

The road to hell is paved with good intentions…

But these are the same isolated people in power to create laws that are hurtful. Dick Cheney used to be anti gay too until his daughter came out. Now he changed his stance. I only hope these other "isolated" people have "exposure" to cure their ignorance.

07/19/2012 at 4:19 PM

I Disagree About Their Desire To Change Being Based On Caring About People. I Think FORCING A Lifestyle On People And Then Summarily Dismissing Their Current Lifestyle As Being Nasty Is Just A Covert Form Of Hate.

Their Mission Is To Eradicate Homosexuality More Than Promoting Greater Inclusiveness Into Their Religion. Ted Haggard Knows All Too Well About That. The Belief That They Will Convert "The Gays" And Then Fully Accept Them Into The Church Is Somewhat Of A Misnomer.

07/19/2012 at 4:36 PM

They aren't dragging people into churches/orgs by gun point and making them denounce their lifestyle. They speak against it and encourage/promote a different way. That's not force. There's a choice involved. You don't have to come/listen/participate,etc. Believing its nasty and weird and believing its against God's design/teachings are two different things. Like I said upthread (but differently, lol), you can't preach acceptance and then not accept others choices when they differ/go against yours.

We'll just have to agree to disagree here. :-)

Cause my mind on this isn't changing on the fact that I don't think you can generalize that all these folks are hateful…and neither is yours, lol.

I will say that I think some folks/orgs/churches are pushy and unloving with their approach…maybe these orgs fit that bill, I don't know for certain. But, this shouldn't be assumed of every person simply cause they select "against" in the booth instead of "for".

07/20/2012 at 5:17 AM

That's Cool. Nothing Wrong With Disagreeing, Especially When It Gives You An Opportunity To Clearly See The Other Side Of The Argument!

9. newbie

07/19/2012 at 7:54 PM

So I'm usually just a reader but this thread has me talking to my computer lol.
    Cynicaloptmst81: I hear what you're saying, but I feel like you're treating someone's sexuality as something they "do". It is a part of who they are. Just like being female or black is part of who I am. So even though someone who thinks being gay is wrong or is against gay marriage may not hate gay people, they are being discriminatory. And religios groups DO have the right to choose not to marry people who are gay. However, marriage is not just part of the church. It is a legal contract between two people. And if two men are partners for 50 years and one dies, the widower will not have access to his partner's pension etc like someone in a heterosexual relationship would. Examples like these are why fighting against gay marriage IS being oppressive and discriminatory.

07/20/2012 at 12:15 AM

Yes, a part…but not all.

I'm not treating it like anything though, lol…as I stated, I'm not against gay marriage. I'm explaining folks beliefs…which they have a right to have…and you have a right to have yours. What you described is why I am for gay marriage. However, someone who does not have our view, as you stated, are def (based on our understanding) being discriminatory…and that's a slippery slope best left alone. But there are some good people who simply don't believe as we do…so they act accordingly because its what they believe. We are allowing our passionate views to infringe on their right to disagree in a peaceful manner (protest, organize, etc.).

• newbie

07/20/2012 at 11:03 AM

I get that you're not against gay marriage and props to you for trying to see the other side of the argument (of people who are against it)
        I agree that it's important to allow people to have their opinions & beliefs and that everyone has a right to protest, spread their beliefs etc. But I think where the slippery slope comes in is when we allow people to take actions that infringe on other people's freedoms. And unfortunately that is (IMO) what's happening. I also think that by allowing this, it normalizes other anti-gay behaviour. One step further is thinking that gay people (esp. men) should not teach in schools (which some people believe and have fought for).
        A lot of churches do not believe in sex before marriage, however non-virgins are not prohibited from marrying. #justsaying
        (Hope that was coherent…at work, doing a million things lol)

07/20/2012 at 11:18 AM

Very coherent, lol…

Allow? Man, that's a slippery slope.

It may suck to allow it…but it must be allowed and respected in order protect your own freedoms. You get the right to organize and fight peacefully against or for what you believe…and so do they.

I won't deny hypocrisy from every living being at one point or another in their lives. It happens. No one is perfect…

• newbie

07/20/2012 at 11:48 AM

Yes, everyone is definitely guilty of hipocrisy at one point.
            I hear you, but I still disagree. I don't think this is simply a case fighting for a belief. I see it as taking away a group of people's rights.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

07/20/2012 at 11:53 AM

"I see it as taking away a group of people's rights."

That may be the case…but the reasoning is tied to their beliefs…which I feel they have a right to have.

So, yes, we can def agree to disagree.

Sidenote: I appreciate the fact that this thread didn't get out of hand. Everyone spoke their opinions intelligently and without any real beef. Great discussion! :-)

• newbie

07/20/2012 at 2:20 PM

100% agree with the sidenote. Nice to be able to debate/offer differing views without getting personal or nasty : )

10. newbie

07/19/2012 at 8:00 PM

(Sorry to have gone off the chick-fil-a topic)

07/19/2012 at 8:20 PM

Great Comment! Feel Free To Comment More!

• newbie

07/19/2012 at 9:21 PM

11. cynicaloptmst81

07/26/2012 at 12:01 PM

Read this and thought about you…

Yo was NEVER even asked about gay marriage.