It’s Important To Get Fit NOT To Impress Others – But To Amaze YOURSELF

From the first time I ever saw Jordin Sparks on TV in 2007, I ALWAYS thought she was extremely attractive. I’m not Tony Horton, so I got NO problem with showing thick girls some love, and combine the fact that she was talented, sweet and had a beautiful smile, I would have risked a hernia to carry her over the threshold. Fast forward about 3 years later, and she popped up looking FIT as hell out of the blue. And now today, she is the gorgeous, beautiful woman in the picture above. Now, she was always beautiful, and being skinny does NOT mean that she’s intrinsically worth MORE than any big woman – but it DOES say A LOT about her character.

When it comes to discussing people’s body size, there are A LOT of common misconceptions that many of us fall victim too. We live in a society that incorrectly propagates body size to health, inundating us with the belief that ALL skinny people are shining beacons of healthy-light, and all big people are fat, lazy sloths who overeat and under-exercise. That is utter BULLSH*T. Anyone who automatically equates size to health in ALL scenarios is probably an idiot.

But with that said, I was reading blog comments about Jordin’s weight loss, and it was amazing how many people were going IN on her for losing this weight and then INCORRECTLY using the “Skinny doesn’t equal fit” point to DISS Jordin and denigrate her personal achievements in becoming much more fit – and it’s these people who NEED to understand a very important part about working out improving their bodies: It’s important to get git NOT to impress other people – but to AMAZE yourself.

The reason I think Jordin is BETTER now than before is not because of her aesthetics, but because she challenged HERSELF and achieved the goal she set out FOR HERSELF. Jordin isn’t on some temporary “summer-body” or “beach body” or “wedding dress” challenge, she is a young woman who would NOT settle for being “fine” with her body, but knowing that she could WORK HARD to improve it. That doesn’t mean that her previous body weight was horrific, or that she was sad or depressed about how she USE to look, but it meant that she simply saw room for improvement and BUST her ass to make that change FOR HERSELF.

Here’s the reality: Most people in North America are overweight. If you are thick or big, you should NOT be ashamed of your body, but recognize that there IS room for natural improvement because, in your current state, you are NOT the most FIT version of yourself. Now understand that becoming more fit is NOT about being skinny or having a six pack or bulging biceps or making a Biggest-Loser type transition. It’s about the strength, power and pride that comes from having the discipline and will power to become even HAPPIER with your body because you shed 5 or 50 pounds, or went down a dress size/pant size or got a few veins in your biceps. I don’t want you to be fit for something nice to look at, but because there IS a personal sense of pride and empowerment one gets from taking to initiative to improve ANYTHING in their life.

But this is a mission that you take by yourself, for yourself, and when you do, you will realize that what everyone ELSE thinks about you, pales in comparison to how YOU feel about you.

Also, big props to Jennifer Hudson on transforming her life too – you can read about how she achieved her change here:

07/24/2012 at 4:43 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, Do You Believe That Many People In Our Society Should Attempt To Lose Weight Or Is The Attempt Simply Justifying Media's Bias That Skinny People Rock And Big People Suck?!

• Gina

07/24/2012 at 5:13 AM

I HATE the discussion of weight. Not because I'm fat, or overweight, or whatever politically correct term I should use, but because I am NATURALLY thin or "skinny." I can't help it. What I hate the most about topics like this is bigger people have no problem going in on skinny people, but I'd be wrong if I went in on them. That's what they did to Jennifer Hudson and Jordin Sparks throughout the media (well Mediatakeout lol) they hated on both of these beautiful women saying something along the lines of hating the skinny version of them. Call me whatever you want to call me, but I believe that everyone should be active and stay active. No matter how fabulous you feel in your size 16 dress size MOST of the time you aren't healthy. Yes, that may sound ignorant that I equate size to health but it's the truth. Not to make this a race issue, but since I'm black the statistics that say, "1 in 2 minority children will have type 1 or type 2 diabetes in their lifetime," scare me and should scare you. (I'm on a health kick thanks to the documentary Food Inc.) ANYWAY attempting to get fit doesn't justify any media bias, honestly I believe many people don't attempt to get fit because they are afraid of failure. But a wise woman told me, "there's a difference between failing to try and trying then failing," just thought I'd get my philosopher on LOL. Nice post!

07/24/2012 at 5:37 AM

In NORTH AMERICA, I Agree That There Are Some Valid Times To Equate Size And Health – It Just Shouldn't Be An Automatic Kneejerk Reaction.

Oh And HERE'S Why Y'all Skinny Women Aren't Allowed To Say Anything To Big Girls: http://youtu.be/fVIs0D2acgw

• Gina

07/24/2012 at 5:48 AM

I watched it….I laughed, but it is mean the other way around too lol.

07/24/2012 at 12:29 PM

Agreed!

• ChloeRayne516

07/24/2012 at 11:00 AM

Honestly I feel everyone should want to be at their OPTIMAL BEST.. whether it's your weight/wardrobe/hair, etc. now grant it alot of people do tend to do these things to impress others, hell I've done it and if you say you never have YOU ARE LYIN..

07/24/2012 at 12:31 PM

Meshell Made A Great Point About Getting Fit:

If You Are A 5'7 Woman Who Is 200 Pounds People Will Call You Fat – Until They Learn That You Dropped 50 Pounds, And Then They Will Say You Look Great.

It's Cool To Want Mass Appeal, But Relying Mainly On Public Opinion Is Sketchy At Best.

2. @DoWuSem

07/24/2012 at 5:10 AM

Point well made. Many people workout because their partners or friends tell them to. In order words, they're seeking other people's approval. Get fit because you want to get fit. I just hope Mr Jordin could maintain this figure.

07/24/2012 at 5:38 AM

Who Is Mr Jordin??

07/24/2012 at 6:02 AM

I'm glad you wrote this piece because even in Barbados people think becoming skinny means you are healthy. There are people especially women who exercise properly once a year (May to August) to look trim and stay fit for Crop Over and then do nothing until next year which is asinine. Health does not always have to do with size so judging people on that is wrong and the truth is Jordan can do what she wants with her body as long as it pleases her. I don't know if she is healthier or not but as a human being I hope so

07/24/2012 at 12:33 PM

I Forgot To Add "Crop Over Body." But That's So True, People Who Rely On Public Opinion As Their Motivation To Get Fit, Are The First Candidates To End Up Being Too Depressed To Stay Fit When They Get Older.

07/24/2012 at 8:04 AM

I have always thought that Jordin and Jennifer were pretty women. Jill Scott falls in this category too. Some women just have extremely pretty faces regardless of their body sizes and you can't say a word about their smiles.

With that said, I agree with you. Just be active. My best friend who is a crossfit queen started marathon training a few years ago. Well there is this big bridge in her city that once you run over and back, it is b/w 3-4 miles. She saw this big girl running and said that she could take her. Not only did the big girl take my friend, she also passed her, smiled, and kept it moving. Size does not show athletic ability nor cardiovascular health. I think that skinny fat is just as bad as fat fat. A toned body looks the best overall.

So more power to Jordin and Jennifer. I hope they love their new bodies b/c they look great.

07/24/2012 at 12:35 PM

Real Talk.

That's Why I Laugh When People Call Fat Football Players Big Lazy Pieces Of Crap – When Those 6'7, 320 Pound Offensive Lineman Can Perform Feats Of Athleticism MOST People Can't.

• petersburgh

07/24/2012 at 5:16 PM

I'll tell you a joke. I was playing football(soccer) and I was marking this big dude with a humongous gut. This man ran past me so hard and I couldn't catch up at all. That's when I decided I was unfit and needed the gym

07/24/2012 at 5:25 PM

LOL :-) I am picturing you walking off the field and heading to the nearest gym to get a membership.

• petersburgh

07/24/2012 at 5:29 PM

Lol I actually hate the gym so I did a lot running after that. I did hit the gym later that year or earlier the next year but that wasn't for longSent from my BlackBerry® wireless device from LIME.

5. BADDEST

07/24/2012 at 9:43 AM

As a woman who has lost over 80 pounds in the recent past I can definitely say that this post is articulating the mental space it takes to be able to accomplish significant weight loss.
    Its about feeling good with and about yourself and getting over the need to please and be accepted by others for your physical state in the world……
    big people suck, skinny people rock…its all a matter of perception….its positively adjusting one's view of oneself that makes the biggest impact no matter what end of the spectrum one finds oneself.
    and yes….weight loss does speak to one's character, as anyone who has done it knows how much work is required and THAT is main reason it should be celebrated….the great accomplishment that it is :)

• NurseJilly

07/24/2012 at 11:03 AM

Congratulations on your weight loss!!

07/24/2012 at 12:39 PM

Real Talk.

I Remember Having A Mild "Heart Event" After I Ballooned In My Weight Many Years Ago, And Then One Year I Worked Out Hard As Hell And Dropped 60 Pounds.

It Was Nice Hearing The Compliments, But I Was More Focused On How I Felt About My Loss, Because I Realized Aligning My Hard Work Depending On Compliments Was Shaky At Best In Terms Of Keeping The Weight Off.

6. dimmabl

07/24/2012 at 10:48 AM

I think the desire to lose weight can sometimes feed into the media's ideology about being thin. I believe it's best to just focus on being fit. Jordin changed her relationship with food and added extra activity to her life and became fitter. I think having a weight goal if you are particularly large can be a great motivator, but focusing on loosing weight can lead to unhealthy methods to do that, methods that are not maintainable. If a person's focus is being fit it creates a lifestyle change which is much better across the board. I know people who seem fat and unhealthy whose lifestyles are very focused on fitness. If they cared about their weight I think they would be in a different place as far as confidence and self-love, as it is they are healthy and happy and proof that the media's obsession with size is unwarranted and unhealthy.

07/24/2012 at 12:41 PM

I Agree In One Sense, But There Is Nothing Wrong With using Healthy Methods To Gain A Better Physical Frame For YOURSELF.

7. NurseJilly

07/24/2012 at 11:02 AM

Great post!! I did an event this past weekend called the warrior dash, its a 5km run up some steep ass hills and an obstacle course. I passed plenty of "skinny" girls and got passed by plenty of "big" girls. Being skinny does not = healthy.

07/24/2012 at 12:41 PM

Real Talk! Shout Out To Anyone Of Any Size Who Realizes The Importance Of Staying Fit And Active.

• GrandCentral

07/25/2012 at 9:12 AM

Yep! It's all about being active. Plus, I always say the real numbers that count are those of your LDL/HDL, Triglycerides, Glucose and all that other good internal stuff.

8. Aboriginal

07/24/2012 at 11:38 PM

I'm not a person who needs added motivation but I'll be honest, watching my uncle who is in his 50's play full court basketball with us, well, I'll be damned if I let someone twice my age outshine me.

And btw, don't forget about Raven Symone.

9. Pingback: Some People Think They Morris Day…When They Live Their Life Like Jerome « From Ashy to Classy

10. GrandCentral

07/25/2012 at 9:09 AM

Good post!!! Everything that everyone has said is spot on. Let me just say that West Indians are the absolute worst with this stuff, and they refuse to see the error in their logic. Skinny does not equate to healthy, as you've all highlighted. My grandmother has no problem tugging at my hips in front of people and saying “ya getting so fat.” That behavior and mentality is quite disgusting.

I have “struggled with my weight”, pretty much all my life because of what others had to say. I put that in quotes because I didn’t really have a weight problem, but my family led me to believe that I did. I've always been a little heavier in certain areas and my family constantly berated me for it. Looking back I wasn't even that bad. I was on my high school tennis team for three-years and in my first season, my coach (a man) actually pulled me aside and told me that I need to start winter conditioning before Thanksgiving (versus after new year’s break, like my other team mates), because he could tell that I had the type of body that could possibly get out of hand, if not watched. This coupled with my nutty family, I assumed this was normal until I became an adult, where I realized that these people had a serious problem. I had to figure out a way to be the best me, for me. I was a serial up and down girl and my weight totally spiraled out of control four- years ago and I had to spend a great deal of time, trying to pinpoint the problem. It’s only within the last year and a half that I finally got the issue under control. I’ve dropped 30 pounds since last October and I’ve got a little way to go, should be done by the end of the year. Not because of anyone, but because I need to be the best me. Plus, I am all about optimal health, I’ve been transitioning to veganism for over a year, so it all makes sense.

I actually picked up the Shape issue with Jordin and her whole story is great, inspirational and one that is common. I can totally relate to her and so can many women out there.

11. Pingback: Making Us Respect You As a Beautiful Woman « From Ashy to Classy

12. Jared

07/27/2012 at 3:09 AM

A great example is Monique. With her body frame she will never be a size 6, but she toned down the excess body weight. Now she looks fabulous and has her own show.

13. Pingback: It’s Important To Get Fit NOT To Impress Others – But To Amaze YOURSELF | Random Ramblings of a Man named Mike