Mitt Romney Got BOOED At The NAACP Convention – Which Is Exactly What He WANTED

When I heard that Mitt Romney was going to speak at the NAACP convention, I thought it was just a trending Twitter joke until I googled it and realized it was a REAL thing that was occurring. Well, late last night, it came as no surprise to me to hear that he was showered with BOOS after making an offhand comment about repealing “obamacare.” But this entire fiasco has me wondering why a presidential candidate who neither WANTS nor NEEDS the Black vote to win, would even bother addressing a large audience of African-Americans? And then it HIT me – because he needed Blacks visceral disapproval to energize his base.

Here’s the video for those of you who haven’t seen it:

Here’s the reality of the uphill battle facing Barack Obama’s re-election: The voters that gave him a significant edge in 2008 have become increasingly more lethargic towards the president. Barack had a HUGE advantage over John McCain because he had the support of minorities and the young voters – but those votes are no longer shoe-ins like they use to be. The current economic climate combined with rising education costs and unfair [and unregulated] practices by private lenders has caused young voters to lose the “hope” for change, resulting in polls stating he has already lost the 18-29 year olds. A survey found that 61% of this voting class will decide on POSITIONS as opposed to CHARISMA, and with the mess that Bush left for Obama, it’s gonna be hard for him to overcome that.

But why is this important as it relates to Mitt Romney’s speech?

Because the REAL war will be for the independents – and if you can create an equal-ratchet-playing field between both camps, it will make independents UNABLE to just write off the Republicans as the CRAZY party, because in their mind ‘EVERYONE LOST THEIR DAMN MIND!’ It is my [possible conspiracy theory-like] opinion that Mitt Romney went to the NAACP convention and dropped derogatory BS language like ‘Obamacare” [a term that rubs a LOT of Black folk wrong] just to get the reaction out of the crowd that can make the average, non-Black independent frame the audience as acting “IGNANT.” I can’t WAIT to hear how Fox spins this, and how it plays throughout the campaign, but I believe he quickly paused after the BOO’S started reigning down on his ass just so the camera’s and the pundits could frame the rather polite audience as Black Power extremists – or basically THIS chick:

The truth is that Barack Obama is having MASSIVE problems with the independent vote and polls are showing he is LOSING to Romney by 6-8% on many important issues with them. If Obama has a low turnout from the Black community [which is likely since the "novelty" wore off to a LOT of folk], and he loses the young vote [which is very likely], THEN he loses the independents, it will be damn near IMPOSSIBLE to get re-elected. Boo-gate by Romney is the PERFECT opportunity for the Republicans to paint the “Urban” Democratic base as crazy, overly-idealistic and irrational.

Hell, look at his smile while getting booed.

07/12/2012 at 4:04 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, What Do You Think About Mitt Romney's Speech At The NAACP Convention?

Do You Feel Barack Needs To Do Something To Energize Young Voters And Black Voters [Like He Did For The Gay Community & The Latino Community] Or Do You Think They Will Eventually Come Out And Help Him Win Again Like In 2008?

2. @For_The_Masses

07/12/2012 at 5:22 AM

Just like the commentators stated on MSNBC last night, this was staged so he can get booed. We just was stupid enough to go for the okie doke.

• Crystals_Back

07/12/2012 at 1:56 PM

He definitely fooled us all! He might as well have brought up Obama's birth certificate

3. pe.riche.

07/12/2012 at 8:14 AM

It's truly bothersome when the media perpetuates this idea that we, the "young voters" are not going to support Obama with the same vigor we did in 2008. While ObamaCare isn't perfect (and really, what initial rough draft of groundbreaking laws and rules are?), at least he's trying.

My generation understands that Obama understands us better than any other former President ever has. I'll be damned if we vote for Romney just to get someone new in office. Romney's indifference and his lack of a clear, sound, and tangible plan to "create more American jobs" is actually quite frightening to me. And I must note that my circle of friends, spanning multiple states, various cities, and even a few countries, all plan to vote Obama/Biden this year. Now mind you, I understand that we tend to gravitate towards those who share similar beliefs and ideologies, but I digress.

Personally, while I think Obama should focus more on helping to end soaring post secondary costs, and help graduates with student loan burdens and jobs (hey, I'm biased, I admit it! Lol.) I think considering all that he inherited from Bush 2.0, he's done a good job. A perfect one? Nope. But still damned good.

If people cannot understand the impeding doom looming with a Romney presidency, or better yet, if they think that Romney is going to support or help anyone but the mega wealthy, then they are surely mistaken. And if Mitt Witt is elected, I have my passport ready to go, and am moving to BC, Canada.

• Crystals_Back

07/12/2012 at 1:57 PM

I think we are also a generation that gets bored easily and the idea of a black president is actually passé in some circles…Obama needs to re energize the young voters!

07/12/2012 at 10:07 AM

Romney had some balls to speak at the NAACP. Period. However, other candidates and presidents have done the same in the past so it really isn't that big of a deal. It's more of a courtesy. Frankly, if i were a republican, i wouldn't waste my time going to speak with them. But if you don't, then you will be called a racist, so it's damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I don't agree with anyone booing a presidential candidate or any candidate that has taken out the time in their schedule to go and speak to your organization. It's rude and shows a lack of respect. They should issue an apology.

Romney knew that he was going to get booed so why hold back. Call it Obamacare if you like. Again, if you know that the people in the audience aren't going to vote for you, that you are only going to speak so that no one can say you are a racist (which is used too freely in politics and is a truly horrible thing to say about a person) then go there, give the speech and bounce.

No conspiracy here. This is just the crappy political climate we are in right now and he has every right to use this footage to his advantage just like Obama will use the Republican debates to his. All is fair in love and war.

07/12/2012 at 10:09 AM

should say *aren't a racist*

• Crystals_Back

07/12/2012 at 1:59 PM

I don't think Romney cares about not being called a racist, because most black people are ingrained to believe that anyways…he just went to get the sound bites he needed and leave

07/12/2012 at 3:35 PM

No. Other candidates have spoken at NAACP meetings, conventions, etc. He does have to save face. If they invited him and he didnt go then they would say he doesn't care about black people and our issues. If he goes, they treat him like crap and boo him. Really, he had no choice.

• MistaHarsh

07/12/2012 at 9:25 PM

I don't think you understand the stance and the language that was used by Romney. It was calculated and condescending. What politician has ever said if you don't like what I say you don't have to vote for me vote for the other guy? He had no intention of winning over that segment even though the NAACP has publicly voiced their displeasure with the pres recently. This guy wanted to incite people and he got just that. FYI its not even called obamacare!

07/12/2012 at 10:22 PM

Really?!? I didn't know that it wasn't called Obamacare *note the sarcasm*. Romney was in a lose lose situation. Bottom line. He had no choice but to attend since groups like the NAACP love to cry racism. Whatever tone he used wouldn't have mattered.

5. GrandCentral

07/12/2012 at 1:10 PM

You are pretty spot on Lincoln, with your analysis of Romney's speech, but I must say I strongly disagree with you on your take on the Obama electorate. Before I jump into that, let me just commend the Obama Campaign for perfectly executing this latest bit of campaign strategy.

A few days ago, we all got word that Romney would be speaking at the NAACP Annual Convention and that President Obama wasn’t. This was music to my ears  For those who are unaware, the President and First Lady both attended and spoke at the convention in 2009 and 2010. I want to say that Mrs. Obama did it a second time in 2011, but my memory is clouded right now. Either way, in 2009 the President began a narrative and in 2010 the First Lady added to that narrative. They basically tag teamed and created a story about their vision for America and what this President could do. They were very consistent in their message and to me this is key. Communication has not been a strong point of this administration, but every now and then, they blow it out of the park and execute flawlessly. Because of this consistent messaging and building, there was NO NEED for President Obama to attend the convention this year. In fact, sending VP Joe Biden couldn’t have been a more perfect idea, if I had thought it up myself. Romney was setup and fell for the bait. That speech was no surprise to me and was the perfect setup. I’m pretty sure the Obama Campaign and the NAACP have been in complete alignment on strategy and this was the perfect fix. Oh by the way, the NAACP always invites the candidates to speak during an election year. Don’t think it was a coincidence that Romney spoke first in the prelinary session and not as the keynote, and Biden went this morning. Strategy my good people! Yes, Romney is going to use this as bait for his conservative racists base, but we will use it to galvanize young people and black voters. Don’t believe what the media spins. I can tell you that young people and blacks are energized and ready to put this man back in office.

There are a few key things that you must concentrate on with this election – swing states, voter suppression, and yes the independent vote. Swing states are of the most highest priority. Right now the President is ticking up in those swing states because the campaign has been very effective in their attack ads on Romney. The DOJ and the campaign must do what they can to beat the voter suppression issue and ensure that people can exercise their constitutional right to vote. Independent voters are tired of the current congresses inaction. Once the debates and conventions get going you will see the base get more fired up. Believe me, it’s a clear choice here, these are two VERY different candidates – Independent Voters know this.

It won’t be an easy race, but it can be won.

• Crystals_Back

07/12/2012 at 2:09 PM

Great analysis!

The only thing I disagree on is the energy of the young voters being what it was in 2008…I think what made that year so amazing is that people who never even wanted to register to vote got their butts down to vote and it just "feels" different this year..

I don't think young people will vote for Romney but if they will vote at all seems to be the big question

• GrandCentral

07/12/2012 at 2:21 PM

Well remember 08 was the highly intense drama filled primary between he and Hillary. It's my belief that the energy is there it's just waiting for the race to begin. That difference you feel is because we are on the other side of the primary process. The convention is being held a little late this year, so expect things to heat up after the first week of September. Young people will vote, trust me!

Now I will say it's been awfully quiet on the voter registration drive tip. I haven't really heard much about and that concerns me a little. There are new younggins who are now old enough to vote, who weren't in 08. We have to galvanize them and get them engaged in the process.

• Crystals_Back

07/12/2012 at 2:33 PM

Yes that's a good point…I just feel like what tipped the scales in Obama's favor before was the fact that everybody and their mama was standing in line to vote instead of just looking at the election as 'boring politics as usual'

I hope we get the same energy later in the year

• iluvwhoiluv

07/16/2012 at 4:32 PM

Wonderful analyses!

07/12/2012 at 3:48 PM

Honest question here: is the NAACP even relevant anymore? If someone can answer this question without attacking me for asking, i would love to hear your thoughts.

• MistaHarsh

07/12/2012 at 9:52 PM

Just the fact that They consistently have presidential candidates speak at their functions proves their relevancy. What irrelevant organization can do that? Just because you might feel they're of no relevance to you it doesn't mean they're not relevant to another large segment of people. Do you also believe that Jesse and Sharpton are irrelevant too? Why don't you seek the answer yourself?

07/12/2012 at 10:31 PM

Since you couldn't answer my question without hostility I will just say this: Presidential candidates speak at their events simply bc they have no choice. You don't want to speak at our events?!? If you are white and a republican you are a racist. If you are a black republican you're an uncle Tom. If you're a white democrat or black democrat…how dare you not speak at our function SHOW SOME RESPECT FOR WHO WE ARE. The NAACP isn't relevant anymore and hasn't been for a few decades now. And please don't get me started on Jesse and Al. They do nothing but get paid off of black people's low self esteem. Also, I believe that Obama sent Biden in his place simply bc he didn't want to go and nor does he need to go. Everyone there is going to vote for him anyway and he is just sending Biden as a courtesy.

• MistaHarsh

07/13/2012 at 3:09 AM

my answer wasn't hostile I simply challenged you to seek out the answer for yourself. I don't have to defend the naacp the website does a fantastic job on its own. No one is forced to attend. As you stated Obama didn't and since you made a blanket statement that everyone there will vote for him anyway then it can be said that no one would vote for Romney anyway so what was the point of his appearance? Who cares if that segment called him racist he never had their vote according to you.

But…1st rule of politics: if you have more votes then the other guy, you win. With Obama making a snub and with tension between Obama and the naacp bubbling, Romney actually had a chance to win them over and cause major division amongst (according to you) Obama's single minded voting base. Instead he did something more brazen and insidious he came to their house and said PUBLICLY IDGAF and laid on the sword thus becoming at that moment the republican martyr that all right wing supporters now must rally behind.

Its a good strategy because he didn't have all right wing supporters before that but its at the expense of seeming insensitive to minorities and as Kanye realized a while ago republicans, like old school eminem, just don't give a fack.

as far as Jessie and Al those guys aren't pimpin black folks with low self esteem, they're pimpin racist corporations and the media off of their ignorance and racial guilt for continually doing stupid shit. Adidas shackle shoes? Some idiot approved that? In addition when they speak they get media attention so if they use that to get a second look at a botched investigation of a murdered teen in Sandford, Florida I'm all for it and I would DEFINITELY CATEGORIZE THAT AS BEING RELEVANT.

7. bornscorpion

07/14/2012 at 6:49 AM

Romney is another Reagan.