Hold Up – Dudes Are Complaining Because OPRAH Isn’t Helping Them ENOUGH?!

“Come at me bruh!”

Let me give y’all a piece of advice: Oprah Winfrey is NOT the one. Y’all can cuss, carry on and berate MOST celebrities on Twitter and they will take it with a grain of salt and keep it moving, or write some incredibly offensive remark which they will have to eventually delete or apologize for [well, unless your name is Rihanna and you TRULY don't give a F*^K]. But, I was pleasantly surprised to see Oprah drop some Nas’ brand ETHER on some douchebag who got completely out of pocket with her a few days ago.

Here’s the tweet, followed by Oprah’s EPIC comeback:

Some of you may wonder where that dudes comment came from, so just to clarify, it stems from Oprah’s creation of The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa. In January of 2007, she created this girls only boarding school in Johannesburg to provide educational and leadership opportunities for academically gifted girls from impoverished backgrounds. While opening this school, Winfrey stated:

“Say what you will about the American educational system — it does work. … If you are a child in the United States, you can get an education. … I became so frustrated with visiting inner-city schools that I just stopped going. The sense that you need to learn just isn’t there. … If you ask the kids what they want or need, they will say an iPod, sneakers, or some money. In South Africa, they don’t ask for money or toys. They ask for uniforms so they can go to school.”

Many people [especially disenfranchised folks living in and around inner cities all over the country] took exception to that statement and essentially called her a traitor for abandoning people in her country that NEED the SAME help, just to fly halfway across the world to assist people in another continent.

My initial reaction to reading Oprah’s tweet was utter JOY, and after reading that I was glad Oprah took the initiative to whoop this lames ass with facts and reality. Oprah HAS done a LOT to affect change in the lives of brothers all over this country, and if this dude is so concerned about affecting change, what the HELL is he doing, besides watching how other people spend their money?

But what is so hilarious is that I thought EVERYBODY would join in and praise Oprah for her charity work AS WELL AS standing up for herself not just in the face of this one looseball’s ignorant criticisms, but also for defending herself against YEARS of baseless insults from our community at large. But that wasn’t the case at all, because I constantly ended up hearing one comment by MANY people in response to her tweet, which was:

“Hold on bruh! She ONLY helped 500???”

What the F*^K do you mean “she ONLY helped 500?” She affected change in the lives of 500 men who needed her assistance, which translates into 500 families getting an opportunity to be successful and competitive in a stagnant economy with a lack of proper jobs. That’s 500 men, who can each affect change in one other person, which doubles that number of people Oprah helped.

But here’s the real question “When the HELL did it become Oprah Winfrey’s job to subsidize YOUR ass?” The truth is, there are poor people all over the world who are overcoming their circumstances [as difficult as they may be] and in the end, it’s YOUR job to be responsible for YOUR life – NOT Oprah. Be thankful that she has helped as many men as she has, and be grateful that she continues to do so to this day – but y’all can miss me with believing HER money MUST be your money too just because she has exponentially MORE than you.

08/01/2012 at 4:28 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, Do You Believe That Oprah Gave Up On The American Inner City School System Too Quickly, Or Do You Believe That Her Statement About Schools In The Hood Was 100% Correct?

Also, Do You Think 500 Is Too Low Of A Number Of People To Help, When She Has As Much Money As She Has?

• Ginger Fargas

08/01/2012 at 4:56 AM

There Is no reason for her to flush her own money down the toilets that are our urban schools. I volunteer/teach with Future Leaders at one of the poorest schools in my city. Every single one of those kids has an iPod, new sneakers, and a nicer cell than me. Mean while I was introducing 20 high school sophomores to a calculater. When asked about their values, no less the 7 of the students responded with "my phone". The facts are most Americans don't put in the work to make the most of the free education they do receive. I'm not saying that there aren't problems with apathetic teachers and budget cuts to curriculums, but showing up disengaged from day 1 earns you nothing. Oprah owes no one anything and she should be applauded for the charity work she has done and be allowed to contribute where she sees fit. Don't like it? Do your own form of giving where you see fit.

08/01/2012 at 5:00 AM

What Do You Think We Can Do To Turn Our Schools Around?!

08/01/2012 at 5:12 AM

You have to create a culture that allows for a school to be progressive. Did you listen to the link I posted that one day from "This American Life" about the Harlem Children's Zone? Or you can watch Waiting for Superman. Both show how a culture is created that doesn't allow mediocrity.

• GingerFargas

08/01/2012 at 5:30 AM

We can get everyone engaged from the ground up. Don't like the schools in your area and what they offer,do what so many D.C.parents have done and build your own charter schools. It also takes parents, community members, and leaders to PUSH kids. Set the expectation that school will be hard, then make it hard. Don't let them skate by with the minimum and for the love of God, stop "teaching to the test"!

08/01/2012 at 5:39 AM

I understand not teaching to a test but how else do you measure success in schools uniformally? Real question here.

• J. A. Johnson

08/01/2012 at 9:49 AM

The solution I honestly feel will be best….MAKE LEARNING FUN! Being on "Black Twitter", I grew ashamed of what our culture has become. I had to seriously stop and ask my friends when did ignorance become cool. When did being poor and uneducated be the "norm" for how black people see each other (as if being a scholar and successful was so far fetched)? How often do you see people talking about material things they will buy (yet can't pay their bills), "haters", "b**ches and n***as, and proving stereotypes instead of academic achievements they want to accomplish? Someone told me that their was white people language and black people language. Another person told me that its 2012 so proper grammar and English isn't used by anyone anymore, so using words that don't exist (ie, conversate), is cool.

End of the day, until kids want to learn, nothing the government does will fix the school system. Teach kids that reading is fun and they will pick up a book at night instead of being on WSHH throughout the day. Make them see how fun science is and they will think about paying for their next science experiment over the new Jordans.

• MistaHarsh

08/01/2012 at 11:20 AM

back when I was in school. We weren't taught grammar at all. I remember our elementary teacher getting upset with the amount of students who didn't know how to use their/there etc. We had an intervention with a impromptu grammar session. I also remember my mother reading my writing and getting upset with my use of "could of" when it should be "could have".

Point I'm making is that good teachers and good parents greatly impact a child's life. Unfortunately there's a lack of both and a lot of it has to do with both of them being over worked. 30+ students in a class is too much and most times the parent(s) is working multiple jobs and can't monitor whats happening in school. If you add to the equation the influences of music, social media, social injustice, poor economy and the increased profile of young millionaires its a REAL uphill battle.

08/01/2012 at 12:58 PM

What's "Black Twitter"?

• Adonis

08/01/2012 at 10:56 AM

Subjects based on the real world (surivival), the classroom outside AMAP (as much as possible). Meet children based on her gender (men & women are different)

That is what I have for now

08/01/2012 at 12:57 PM

That's the most pathetic thing I've read all day! Please stop perpetuating the idea that our children are all hopeless when there are so many striving for great things…

The fact that the system is so broken is a definite sign that it needs help, and Oprah shouldn't run from it just because it's hard!

08/01/2012 at 1:12 PM

Oprah isn't running from anything. She has sent 500 black men to school. I don't believe that she HAS to do anything.

08/01/2012 at 1:17 PM

Oprah's efforts are good, but she can do more..

And yes she does have to give back. That's how a good society works.

• Concrete_Rose

08/01/2012 at 7:09 PM

You can throw money at any society and any group of people, but change can never happen until there is a change in mindset.

• J. A. Johnson

08/01/2012 at 9:27 AM

I completely agree with this post!! The utter ignorance I saw from people on Twitter that night was hilarious. She has done tons for the black community in America through education, charities, emotional change in others, and awareness. I can't believe people are angry with the way ONE woman spends HER OWN money. Like she is somehow obligated to march around America doing interviews everyday about how much she is spending to help people. F THAT!! I actually had to shut down some dude that was talking about the crime rate in Chicago like Oprah can somehow single-handedly solve that herself. People just want a handout and for the rich to come in and solve everyone else's problems.

Plus…500 men being put through college is a lot!! Not to mention those mention put their own money into the scholarship now. Who else is doing that?!? Next people will be angry with Obama for not giving out 40 Acres and a Mule!

08/01/2012 at 1:00 PM

If you don't think her money makes her obligated to help out the same communities that supported her to make that much, your priorities on life are screwed up!

08/01/2012 at 5:21 AM

Oprah doesn't owe anyone a thing. Blacks tend to act like we are one monothilitic group that should give back when one of us makes it. We are not her mother, father, sister, uncle, cousin, etc and she doesn't owe us anything. She chooses to give where she sees fit and so be it.

I remember when she made that comment about the iPods and this one commentator said that Oprah was one to talk since she gives away cars, gadgets, and everything else on her show. How can she complain about kids wanting iPods when her show was somewhat based around consumerism? The person had a point but I think it was making Oprah sick that the culture in inner city schools is a culture of laziness. That no matter how much money or opportunities she could throw at the students, they still wouldn't want to learn. The problem is that if you are working with high school students, you missed the boat. Early childhood education is where you have the most impact.

• Ginger Fargas

08/01/2012 at 5:26 AM

There is nothing wrong with wanting nice things or giving nice things. The problem is when wanting those things becomes more important than wanting a good education or in turn expecting some one else who HAS put in the work to subsidize them. If you want an iPod or the newest kicks, get to work and get it your dang self.

08/01/2012 at 5:36 AM

I completely agree with you. I never understood how kids in poor schools always dressed well and had the newest gear to begin with. I grew up on free lunch and my clothes were never top shelf and I never had any new gadgets.

08/01/2012 at 7:02 AM

I agree with both of you. While a lot of inner city schools suffer from finicial problems the biggest problem they suffer from is a lack of effort and interest to learn from the kids and a lack of parental influence. No offense you have these communities suffering from medium to high unemployment, most of the parents probably aren't working or atleast full time, you can't tell me they don't have time to stop in for a parent teacher conference to see what their child is doing.

Kids sittin in these schools that can't read but their parents opted to buy them Jordan's and an iPod vs taking that money to pay for tutoring or hooked on phonics. Priorities.

08/01/2012 at 1:12 PM

"Lack of effort and interest?"

Do you really understand what is happening in our communities? Do you have any idea how dire the need for help and heroes is? To just write all of our children off as lazy is helping the wrong people marginalize our problems…smh

08/01/2012 at 1:41 PM

I never said they all were lazy anywhere in my comment. I described what you see from children when you walk into an nine city school atleast what Oprah saw. I didn't write them all off but if we are going to solve the problem we have to look at it from all angles

08/01/2012 at 2:06 PM

But you didn't look at it from all angles in your comment, just the angle that portrays our children as lazy (yes lack of effort by definition is being lazy)

08/01/2012 at 3:43 PM

Again that was one point in reference to what was already said if you read my comment below this conversation I agree with Mistahharsh. And through this post I make reference to a lot of different angles .

And yes somebody our kids are lazy weather you want to admit it or not so its not like that angle isn't somewhat valid. My comment actually focuses more on the parents than the kids. I see kids from the inner city make it, those kids make the effort to atleast come to school and try. At the end of Tuesday effort os going to play a role in how these children are successful. Now how they get that incourgament and help has to come from outside people an inside people as well.

08/01/2012 at 2:02 PM

Kizzy, I never said the children don't need help, but some of the people in our community have their priorities mixed up and that's a fact. I am very aware of the help that's needed from outside, but we have to do a whole lot of healing and looking on the inside first ( people who love in the community) if we are going to make a change.

And yes a lack of effort is one of the problems from the parents to the teachers . There are some children in inner city schools who make it because they push themselves to want better. Again I understand the obstacles that have to be dealt with, but making Oprah the single savior / hero for those obstacles is crazy and won't get you far.

• J. A. Johnson

08/01/2012 at 9:55 AM

I agree with you. I grew up poor and never had the coolest of anything. The lack of material things as a kid made me not care for them anymore. So what did I concentrate on? My education. Achieving more success in life. And it has helped tenfold. I sponsor multiple families through charities, and putting money into the hood is iffy. You'll go to the hood and see exactly what Oprah was talking about. Little kids with clothes better than yours, but can't read at their age level…

08/01/2012 at 1:10 PM

Please stop generalizing the struggle.

08/01/2012 at 1:20 PM

And please stop generalizing that everyone in the inner city schools are looking for help.

There are many factors contributing to the problems in the American school system in general. Laziness and apathy are just 2 of them. Overworked and underpaid teachers, unions, etc are other ones on top of much more. It isn't up to Oprah to create a culture for kids to want to do better. It is up to the parents to take action in their children's lives and then up to the children to use the resources available.

08/01/2012 at 1:25 PM

If you think the problems facing education in South Africa are not just as difficult and nuanced then you are extremely naive. Improving education is a difficult battle no matter where it's waged, and Oprah not only neglected her own country and city, but then derided them in the same voice.

That's completely unacceptable!

• iamkeishabrown

08/01/2012 at 10:18 AM

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

• MistaHarsh

08/01/2012 at 11:40 AM

Its not a culture of laziness. Its a culture of impatience that lacks hope and long term vision. These kids are disinterested in school because they don't see how Calculus affects their life. They can't relate to the Great Gatsby or Shakespeare. Why spend 12yrs of your life in grade school to be told you can't afford college or to get killed before your 21st b-day or better yet your parent wants you to cover the bills indefinitely. If there was a course that taught people how to be entreprenuers trust me they'd show up with heightened interest.

I agree that we need to catch them in elementary first but we can't neglect everyone else.

08/01/2012 at 12:09 PM

@Mistaharah I agree. But these Children in Africa are facing the same if not worst circumstances. Oprah started from dirt dirt poor, sexual neglect and a whole lot of other madness. But when given the opportunity to elevate herself through school she took it.

I understand the obstacles inner city children face. But it's how they choose to face these obstacles that made oprah opt to help Africa/ morehouse and not the south side of Chicago .

There are a lot of obstacles thu have to face which are not always finicial, some of those challenges could be conquered if they put in they put in more effort.

But I also agree that people like the guy that tweeted have a problem with what's goin on in "his hood" he is welcome to become a mentor and guy the youth he feels is being neglected in his city.

08/01/2012 at 12:11 PM

Guide* sooty about the speeding errors in typing on my phone

• MistaHarsh

08/01/2012 at 2:34 PM

this sentence is the funniest thing I've read all day!

08/01/2012 at 3:32 PM

Lol thank iPhone auto correct

08/01/2012 at 12:36 PM

No. It's a culture of laziness. Of not caring.

08/01/2012 at 12:39 PM

Also of no hope. I agree with you on that part.

• MistaHarsh

08/01/2012 at 3:35 PM

you really think inner city people don't care about their well being or being successful? Of course they do and they're not lazy. They simply believe that their only chance to "make it" is through sports, music or illegal activities. Not one of those require Shakespeare or writing essays or grammar. They need guidance and foresight. Mentorship.

08/01/2012 at 4:20 PM

Maybe apathy is a better word.

08/01/2012 at 1:14 PM

This is the first accurate portrayal of our inner cities that I've read today! Great insight on the real problems and thank you for not just saying all of our children are lazy and hopeless!

08/01/2012 at 1:02 PM

You were dead wrong right from your first sentence. Anyone who gets rich off of the support of others definitely owes them "a thing" and Oprah is no different…

If Oprah hates laziness so much help change the culture, don't run from it.

08/01/2012 at 1:04 PM

Kizzy, you are always in left field and that is where i will leave you.

3. Ginger Fargas

08/01/2012 at 5:57 AM

There is no problem with standardized testing when the results are used to facilitate change and as a gauge for where a schools strengths are. The problem results when we quantify a teachers abilities and threaten them with termination if a ridiculous number of students don’t reach a particular score. The fact is, many students don’t “test” well while still being brilliant. The current system requires by rote memorization of facts while not teaching critical thinking, problem solving, or allowing teachers to TEACH. Have you ever wondered why so many homeschooled kids are so succesful without standardized tests? Sorry. Stepping of my soap box now. This is an issue very dear to me as I am in school to become a teacher but am seriously rethinking it due to the current environment,

08/01/2012 at 7:24 AM

But teachers should be held accountable for how their students perform the same way a manager at a Fortune 500 company is held accountable for their team and profits. I am really torn on the standardized testing front. I see the good and the bad. I would personally do away with teacher unions and tenure while offering to pay teachers more money for their work and service to the community. Still there is no broad stroke solution. It will take time and many different ideas based on a school districts needs.

• MistaHarsh

08/01/2012 at 12:03 PM

"I would personally do away with teacher unions and tenure while offering to pay teachers more money for their work and service to the community"

Agreed. The pension attracts a lot of bad apples. Community work promotes engagement which is what most poor teachers lack.

4. Smilez_920

08/01/2012 at 7:11 AM

I can't front when I first heard about the school in Africa , I did kind of wonder why didn't she do that in her hometown of Chicago, but then I remembered its her money, she can do whatever she wand with it. At the end of the day she still is helping black people. I went to Africa in 7th grade to hand out school supplies. Children in the American school system are spoiled compared to them. Not saying the American school system doesn't need help, but I think those kids in Africa need it a little bit more.

And speaking of celebrities, I don't see people asking these beloved rappers why don't they donate back to the hood. I mean he could have tweeted Rick Ross, I'm sure Miami inner city school system could use his money, even if it's for something as small as providing school supplies or a few new text books.

Some people are clocking Oprah about what's she's doin for the community, when they can't even do the basics which is keep their darn kids under control and raise them to be some what productive citizens , but they have the nerve to ask Oprah what she's doing.

• iluvwhoiluv

08/01/2012 at 9:31 AM

Preach!

• Vicky

08/01/2012 at 11:17 AM

Applause!!!!

08/01/2012 at 1:16 PM

I think smart people realize most rappers are a flop album away from the unemployment line. Oprah has actual wealth that can uplift our entire community!

08/01/2012 at 1:47 PM

Kizzy,

You want People with more income than the ones in the community to help, so I named one. Of course I'm aware of the difference between wealth and having money. Kizzy since it bothers you so much that Oprah won't help US public schools what are you doing to help them?

Time and effort go a long way in helping these schools and communtiies not just money. That boy had no right to try and check her if he isn't in the trenches of these public schools everyday trying to help. And since you can set the goal for Oprah on what she should do " you stated she could do more than send 500 boys to school" why don't you stop complaining and find ways to get money to these schools or donate your time and effort to fight for the cause.

08/01/2012 at 2:05 PM

The fact that this always comes down to a comparative issue proves how ignorant and lost our community is. I help raise my godchildren and mentees to be better people because that's what I can do to help the struggle. Does that make me less important in your eyes because I can't afford to put 500 black men through college?

It's stupid to assume we all are not trying to make a difference because we are not blessed with riches…That's a terrible assumption.

08/01/2012 at 2:09 PM

Kizzy that's what you said not me. The majority of my comment talks about how donating time and effort in these communities are just as important as money. If anything you mentioned the money. I meet said it made you aimless because you couldn't send 500 black men throughr school, but just take into account that are sent on her own dollar 500 black men through school that's a big effort in itself.

5. Adonis

08/01/2012 at 10:52 AM

“When the HELL did it become Oprah Winfrey’s job to subsidize YOUR ass?”

NEVER. (But I will gladly accept if I asked, and she provided, Oprah is my booski.)

I do not stand with that dude or dudes who think like him.

08/01/2012 at 12:20 PM

Its one person's money so where that money goes and where its spent is up to that one person. Who needs the money more? Children in one of the most richest countries in the world or a 3rd world country? As far as her comments about the difference in mentality I agree but its not exclusive to our community. Human beings in general take things for granted when its offered for free. A lot of people complain about public transportation but there's ppl in the world that walk 20 miles everyday to get to work or school and do it with a smile. What I didn't agree with was that the school was just for girls – that I found unfair for the little boys in that country and screamed of sexism but considering Oprah's history the choice was understandable.

08/01/2012 at 12:38 PM

Girls in Africa have a MUCH harder time in life than boys. Look at what's happening in Sudan right now. I think that is why she did an all girl school.

• MistaHarsh

08/01/2012 at 2:52 PM

But Oprah's school is in South Africa where the conditions for Females are much better and were better before Oprah's school was even in existence.

No doubt the gap in quality of life between genders exists but the solution to that is educating girls AND boys to show that they can co-exist intellectually. They both can benefit from a better school system. Remember girls are allowed to go to school in South Africa so the need to educate women was already met. I think she chose an all girl school because of her history with sexual abuse and having an all girl school eliminates the threat of that happening…so she believes…

08/01/2012 at 1:15 PM

It's not about who needs it more! The question is why can't South Africa's billionaires and millionaires take care of their own? So Oprah can actually do some good here..

08/01/2012 at 1:51 PM

It is about who needs it more, Kizzy you wouldn't be arguing if you didn't feel that te American public school system didn't need it more than Africa. And Oprah has been doing good here, I'm sure there are plenty of other charities she donates to outside of the lime light. She put 500 black boys through a prestigious institution, do you know how hard and expensive that is. When have you seen any celebrity put 500 young black men through school.

08/01/2012 at 2:02 PM

Help need to be distributed all over this world, and it's up to their own communities to help sustain their feasibility! I am not saying she's not doing enough, but I am troubled by her generalizations of poor blacks in the inner cities.

• Vicky

08/04/2012 at 1:00 AM

Kizzy, did you read the above where Oprah states that she is helping African students because they are asking for books, not iPods and Jordans?

• MistaHarsh

08/01/2012 at 2:58 PM

Don't subscribe to the lil wayne and Gary Coleman school of thought. You're smarter than that Kizzy. You don't think Jews here support Israelis in the Middle east? Do you know how much govt aid is sent to various countries around the world?

Why Can't Oprah support her motherland? It would offset the other countries raping it.

7. Kizzy

08/01/2012 at 12:55 PM

I have always lived my life by the creed, to whom much is given, much is expected and I think Oprah's money is 2 things:

- A result of her hard work, and
    - A blessing

She is blessed to have the funds she does to do the things she does and she got that fame by the support of her fans! Giving back shouldn't just be a simple requirement like we ask of regular citizens, but it should go above and beyond a regular persons means, so for her to shoot that question back to the guy who tweeted her was insane and classless.

It's nice that she wants to help South Africa but there are 16 Billionaires in that country who should be doing everything they can to provide for the poor! Oprah needs to help little girls and boys like her, here in the US, who are trapped in this terrible school system and could use a way out..

To label all of our kids here as lazy is nothing short of irresponsible!

08/01/2012 at 1:20 PM

I agree that not all are kids are lazy there are many who are doing the best they can to excel.

I think she was right to put that guy in his place. Help doesn't always have to be money, time and effort play a big part. Te average person plays the biggest part in giving back especially if it's in the community they live in. You can't wait on people others to solve yor problems, you have to take the first step. So what if she makes a lot of money, that's her business, she is helping people that she feels need and deserve her help. If you feel the people on your community need help you be the guiding light and ofer your time and effort.

As fat as helping "people" who support her , Oprah has a wide fan base, if that's the case instead of donating to Africa "since they technically don't add into the ratings for her show " should she donate money to primarily white organization ran by housewives the house wives of Conneticute sine that demography supports her?

08/01/2012 at 2:00 PM

That last part wasn't my point and you know it. People keep saying she owes nobody anything and that's just flat out ignorant!

Oh and before she had white housewives as fans, it was us in the Black community who supported her show so don't forget that either..

08/01/2012 at 2:15 PM

I haven't forgot that but how much does she have to do before we do for ourselves. You said she needs to support who has helped support her.

Again I'm
          Not saying she shouldn't donate to inner city US schools. But of she choose my to who are we to make her the bad guy for it.

08/01/2012 at 2:29 PM

No, I'm making her the "bad guy" because instead of just creating this school in South Africa she had to go in on American children and basically state they did not earn or deserve her charity….that's what disgusts me.

If a white person had said that I would be equally as offended.

08/01/2012 at 2:44 PM

I think she has a point to a certain extent. Of couste she shouldn't generalize all inner city children, and white or black generalizing everyone won't get you anywhere. But people wouldn't have gotten that response if they let her donate to Africa without harassing her about why she didn't give to schools in America

08/01/2012 at 4:25 PM

This organization has done a ton. Oprah wasn't needed. The community got involved.

• MistaHarsh

08/01/2012 at 3:02 PM

16? As per forbes magazine for 2011 there were 412 billionaires in the good ol US of A soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo…..

08/01/2012 at 3:08 PM

After letting sheit soak in I'm kind of disappointed in Oprah. With the numerous issues and criticism that she receives why did she choose to respond/pick on this idiot? Take time to respond to real criticism and questions and engage in a serious dialogue with someone with a valid opposing view. How easy was it for her to respond to that fool?

08/01/2012 at 4:26 PM

There is a big divide between the older generation of blacks and the younger one. This was the case of an old head tryin to put a young kne back in his place. While she could have just ignored it, I think she was trying to open his eyes to a) what she has done and b) what he could be doing to help the ghettos of he feels so passionate about them. I really thought it was a fake tweet from her at first, but it's twitter we're all human and let twitter get the best of us.

9. Really people

01/06/2013 at 9:17 AM

Wow. The author and many of these comments are startling. The state of Black America is in shambles and the brainwashing of the mass media isn't helping. Oprah could have built a school here in America for black children that taught them about their African history, basic survival methods, the dynamics of slavery and the role it's played in Black self negating behavior and self hate, all the things WHITE schools and WHITE teachers do NOT teach black children.

All the comments about Oprah can do what she wants and she doesn't owe Blacks anything is BS. As a member of the Black American race she should give back in everyway way possible. She's a billionaire and her city is in shambles because they're lost. Most of you sound like u hate yourselves. Oprah should have built that school here, period. But I forgot, white America won't let Oprah do anything for her community because they want to maintain their power here in the US and don't need a bunch of intelligent blacks getting in the way of their "elite" power structure. Ignorance is a curse. Think more critically.