Hold Up – Dudes Are Complaining Because OPRAH Isn’t Helping Them ENOUGH?!

“Come at me bruh!”

Let me give y’all a piece of advice: Oprah Winfrey is NOT the one. Y’all can cuss, carry on and berate MOST celebrities on Twitter and they will take it with a grain of salt and keep it moving, or write some incredibly offensive remark which they will have to eventually delete or apologize for [well, unless your name is Rihanna and you TRULY don’t give a F*^K]. But, I was pleasantly surprised to see Oprah drop some Nas’ brand ETHER on some douchebag who got completely out of pocket with her a few days ago.

Here’s the tweet, followed by Oprah’s EPIC comeback:

Some of you may wonder where that dudes comment came from, so just to clarify, it stems from Oprah’s creation of The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa. In January of 2007, she created this girls only boarding school in Johannesburg to provide educational and leadership opportunities for academically gifted girls from impoverished backgrounds. While opening this school, Winfrey stated:

“Say what you will about the American educational system — it does work. … If you are a child in the United States, you can get an education. … I became so frustrated with visiting inner-city schools that I just stopped going. The sense that you need to learn just isn’t there. … If you ask the kids what they want or need, they will say an iPod, sneakers, or some money. In South Africa, they don’t ask for money or toys. They ask for uniforms so they can go to school.”

Many people [especially disenfranchised folks living in and around inner cities all over the country] took exception to that statement and essentially called her a traitor for abandoning people in her country that NEED the SAME help, just to fly halfway across the world to assist people in another continent.

My initial reaction to reading Oprah’s tweet was utter JOY, and after reading that I was glad Oprah took the initiative to whoop this lames ass with facts and reality. Oprah HAS done a LOT to affect change in the lives of brothers all over this country, and if this dude is so concerned about affecting change, what the HELL is he doing, besides watching how other people spend their money?

But what is so hilarious is that I thought EVERYBODY would join in and praise Oprah for her charity work AS WELL AS standing up for herself not just in the face of this one looseball’s ignorant criticisms, but also for defending herself against YEARS of baseless insults from our community at large. But that wasn’t the case at all, because I constantly ended up hearing one comment by MANY people in response to her tweet, which was:

“Hold on bruh! She ONLY helped 500???”

What the F*^K do you mean “she ONLY helped 500?” She affected change in the lives of 500 men who needed her assistance, which translates into 500 families getting an opportunity to be successful and competitive in a stagnant economy with a lack of proper jobs. That’s 500 men, who can each affect change in one other person, which doubles that number of people Oprah helped.

But here’s the real question “When the HELL did it become Oprah Winfrey’s job to subsidize YOUR ass?” The truth is, there are poor people all over the world who are overcoming their circumstances [as difficult as they may be] and in the end, it’s YOUR job to be responsible for YOUR life – NOT Oprah. Be thankful that she has helped as many men as she has, and be grateful that she continues to do so to this day – but y’all can miss me with believing HER money MUST be your money too just because she has exponentially MORE than you.

08/01/2012 at 4:28 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, Do You Believe That Oprah Gave Up On The American Inner City School System Too Quickly, Or Do You Believe That Her Statement About Schools In The Hood Was 100% Correct?

Also, Do You Think 500 Is Too Low Of A Number Of People To Help, When She Has As Much Money As She Has?

08/01/2012 at 5:21 AM

Oprah doesn't owe anyone a thing. Blacks tend to act like we are one monothilitic group that should give back when one of us makes it. We are not her mother, father, sister, uncle, cousin, etc and she doesn't owe us anything. She chooses to give where she sees fit and so be it.

I remember when she made that comment about the iPods and this one commentator said that Oprah was one to talk since she gives away cars, gadgets, and everything else on her show. How can she complain about kids wanting iPods when her show was somewhat based around consumerism? The person had a point but I think it was making Oprah sick that the culture in inner city schools is a culture of laziness. That no matter how much money or opportunities she could throw at the students, they still wouldn't want to learn. The problem is that if you are working with high school students, you missed the boat. Early childhood education is where you have the most impact.

3. Ginger Fargas

08/01/2012 at 5:57 AM

There is no problem with standardized testing when the results are used to facilitate change and as a gauge for where a schools strengths are. The problem results when we quantify a teachers abilities and threaten them with termination if a ridiculous number of students don’t reach a particular score. The fact is, many students don’t “test” well while still being brilliant. The current system requires by rote memorization of facts while not teaching critical thinking, problem solving, or allowing teachers to TEACH. Have you ever wondered why so many homeschooled kids are so succesful without standardized tests? Sorry. Stepping of my soap box now. This is an issue very dear to me as I am in school to become a teacher but am seriously rethinking it due to the current environment,

4. Smilez_920

08/01/2012 at 7:11 AM

I can't front when I first heard about the school in Africa , I did kind of wonder why didn't she do that in her hometown of Chicago, but then I remembered its her money, she can do whatever she wand with it. At the end of the day she still is helping black people. I went to Africa in 7th grade to hand out school supplies. Children in the American school system are spoiled compared to them. Not saying the American school system doesn't need help, but I think those kids in Africa need it a little bit more.

And speaking of celebrities, I don't see people asking these beloved rappers why don't they donate back to the hood. I mean he could have tweeted Rick Ross, I'm sure Miami inner city school system could use his money, even if it's for something as small as providing school supplies or a few new text books.

Some people are clocking Oprah about what's she's doin for the community, when they can't even do the basics which is keep their darn kids under control and raise them to be some what productive citizens , but they have the nerve to ask Oprah what she's doing.

5. Adonis

08/01/2012 at 10:52 AM

“When the HELL did it become Oprah Winfrey’s job to subsidize YOUR ass?”

NEVER. (But I will gladly accept if I asked, and she provided, Oprah is my booski.)

I do not stand with that dude or dudes who think like him.

08/01/2012 at 12:20 PM

Its one person's money so where that money goes and where its spent is up to that one person. Who needs the money more? Children in one of the most richest countries in the world or a 3rd world country? As far as her comments about the difference in mentality I agree but its not exclusive to our community. Human beings in general take things for granted when its offered for free. A lot of people complain about public transportation but there's ppl in the world that walk 20 miles everyday to get to work or school and do it with a smile. What I didn't agree with was that the school was just for girls – that I found unfair for the little boys in that country and screamed of sexism but considering Oprah's history the choice was understandable.

7. Kizzy

08/01/2012 at 12:55 PM

I have always lived my life by the creed, to whom much is given, much is expected and I think Oprah's money is 2 things:

– A result of her hard work, and
    – A blessing

She is blessed to have the funds she does to do the things she does and she got that fame by the support of her fans! Giving back shouldn't just be a simple requirement like we ask of regular citizens, but it should go above and beyond a regular persons means, so for her to shoot that question back to the guy who tweeted her was insane and classless.

It's nice that she wants to help South Africa but there are 16 Billionaires in that country who should be doing everything they can to provide for the poor! Oprah needs to help little girls and boys like her, here in the US, who are trapped in this terrible school system and could use a way out..

To label all of our kids here as lazy is nothing short of irresponsible!

08/01/2012 at 3:08 PM

After letting sheit soak in I'm kind of disappointed in Oprah. With the numerous issues and criticism that she receives why did she choose to respond/pick on this idiot? Take time to respond to real criticism and questions and engage in a serious dialogue with someone with a valid opposing view. How easy was it for her to respond to that fool?

9. Really people

01/06/2013 at 9:17 AM

Wow. The author and many of these comments are startling. The state of Black America is in shambles and the brainwashing of the mass media isn't helping. Oprah could have built a school here in America for black children that taught them about their African history, basic survival methods, the dynamics of slavery and the role it's played in Black self negating behavior and self hate, all the things WHITE schools and WHITE teachers do NOT teach black children.

All the comments about Oprah can do what she wants and she doesn't owe Blacks anything is BS. As a member of the Black American race she should give back in everyway way possible. She's a billionaire and her city is in shambles because they're lost. Most of you sound like u hate yourselves. Oprah should have built that school here, period. But I forgot, white America won't let Oprah do anything for her community because they want to maintain their power here in the US and don't need a bunch of intelligent blacks getting in the way of their "elite" power structure. Ignorance is a curse. Think more critically.