If You’re STRIVING To Be Famous For NOTHING – You’re An IDIOT

“Lifestyles of the broke and famous
Let you know how crazy this game is
Look at all the new beautiful faces
At home supermodel, Myspacers
Long for their shot on the TV screens
American Idol never seen these dreams
Just last week they want to see ID
Now they got you in VIP, huh?
How many people almost famous
You almost remember what they name is
Like “Hey, didn’t you play in..? No it couldn’t be, quit playin”
Try to keep that balance
After MTV that’s a Real World Challenge
Back on that train
Never to be heard from again.”

- Kanye West “US Placers”

A couple days ago I went on an a pretty epic Twitter-rant that was spurred by a picture I saw someone I followed post – it was a flyer for an event called “The Instagram Party” which was hosted by a bunch of Instagram celebs, which is arguably one of the LAMEST pieces of sh*t I’ve ever encountered in my time on this planet. A party celebrating being famous on INSTAGRAM which is essentially just a celebration of big booty bucket-heads, cleavage-heavy clowns, 6-pack stunting looseballs, fake-ass foodies taking pictures of their Nacho Supremes and jackasses who take pictures of sunsets off their balcony using a grainy filter with their iPhones thinking that makes them legit photographers.

Now understand my objection: I’m NOT saying there’s anything wrong with striving to be FAMOUS – but there’s A LOT F*^KED UP about trying to acquire fame for doing absolutely NOTHING. That not only makes you an idiot, it means that you are also wilfully USELESS. You actually DESIRE to NOT have any discernible talent, skill, or use to society because, in YOUR mind, as long as someone, somewhere admires you just for the sake of being you, then you have achieved EVERYTHING you could have hoped for. That’s not only sad, but it’s equally pathetic.

There was a time when being famous was about being recognized for a unique talent or skill. I don’t give a damn whether that skill is leading nations as a politician, being an actress [in anything from Feature Films to pr0n flicks], making great music or just making it clap in the background of music videos, but the point was attaining notoriety for SOMETHING that SOMEONE finds useful [no matter how pathetic]. Hell, I have desired critical acclaim for my writing ever since I was 9 years old because whether I was making people laugh, cry or think, I ultimately viewed my writing as my TALENT [dispute my HS years when I questioned the amount of nani literary pursuits would result in].

But the two worst things about TODAY’S desire for unworthy fame is the fact that these idiots not only overlook pursuing their TRUE talent just to TRY and be popular for how they look, or how fat your ass is, or their inane and pointless ability at reposting pictures [FYI: owning a Tumblr account doesn't automatically make you a BLOGGER - it makes you a c*nt who just reposts other peoples work], but it’s the fact that so many people tie their SELF-WORTH into their popularity. It’s THESE people who don’t understand that fame is fleeting, but family and good friends are forever.

Listen, go out, use whatever talent you have and try to, AT THE VERY LEAST, be famous for THAT – but if you want to gain respect based on your E-fame which is comprised of NOTHING useful, you’re a troglodyte.

08/16/2012 at 4:59 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, Do You Think There's Something Ridiculous About TRYING To Be Famous For Nothing [ALA The Kardashians] Or Is It All Good?

• petersburgh

08/16/2012 at 7:24 AM

I think it is ridiculous if you seriously want something out of life but most of those freaks are just party people etc (the Kardashians have money so I'm not too sure it was for nothing). I wondered what that instagram party was about but I figured it was something I wouldn't take part in.

08/20/2012 at 12:34 AM

Co-Sign.

• J. A. Johnson

08/16/2012 at 1:03 PM

We live in a world where fame is more important than what that person has contributed. So to answer your question….it is ridiculous!

I can seriously go on and on about the people we should be admiring and thanking, and doing so much for….but that would actually lead to an essay for a comment lol. Nevertheless, our society shows that in 2012…education isn't cool; hard work by those that are worthy of fame isn't seen, so everyone else wants to magically achieve the same level of fame; and people pass up doing what's right, smart, or moral, to do what can lead to more people showing them attention (even if its by doing something negative).

The question you should ask is, what happened to our society caring about education, hard work, and doing what's right even at the cost of money and fame.

• NurseJilly

08/16/2012 at 1:29 PM

Couldn't have said it better sir!!

08/16/2012 at 2:34 PM

Cable tv and the internet happened.

08/16/2012 at 3:20 PM

Really Good Answer…

• Abena

08/16/2012 at 5:11 PM

Yeah but cable tv and the internet were around during the 90s……It think you mean SOCIAL MEDIA.

• Abena

08/16/2012 at 5:12 PM

*I*

08/16/2012 at 3:20 PM

Good Question..

2. @DulceDeLauryn

08/16/2012 at 7:34 AM

I think there's a market for anything – and the simpler it seems, the more desirable it is. I'm not one for the Tumblr or Instagram fame. I mean, I'm not going to pretend I wouldn't be flattered by it – I would- however, the truth remains that when it's social media popularity, you're only as good as your last photo or witty quip. Real social media influence allows you to add to dialogue, create conversation or build a business – make an impact. However please keep in mind, I speak from a position where I've been a forum moderator, leveraged it into a digital writing career and pursued a Master's in Internet Marketing… in other words… I may not be the average thinker when it comes to this. (I'm not Brian Solis either!)

08/16/2012 at 3:22 PM

You're Also Far From Some Chick Holding A Camera Phone In The Mirror Sitting On Her Bathroom Sink Making A Duck Face.

08/16/2012 at 9:47 AM

I went on tumblr once and I was like "but wait…its just stylized photos of things posted by people who aren't even professional photographers…but good lawd that's a phat ass, I wonder if she has pics from different angles….*scrolls down* " I don;t understand that and instagram. But people do get the necessary exposure from these forums and parlay it into promoting their talent so as ridiculous as it is I can't knock them.

Executives/A&Rs aren't developing talent like they use to. Now you have to have a fan base a following in tact before you get put on sometimes modelling is the quickest way to achieve this however risky.

08/16/2012 at 3:22 PM

It's A Shame These People BEG For The Attention So Hard Tho.

4. iamkeishabrown

08/16/2012 at 10:13 AM

what came first the chicken or the egg?

VH1 is making a killing off promoting this exact lifestyle. men are falling all over themselves to try and holla at this phat-bootied chicks. so whether it's money and/or male attention – there seems to be a prize at the end, and all without having to actually work hard? of COURSE you're going to have folk say sign me up. it's like winning the lottery!

if people didn't watch, support, go to the clubs because insert-chick-with-phat booty will be there etc.. then maybe these people wouldn't exist.

and ps: my instagram (which i've fallen off pretty hard) food pics ARE awesome (but then again..i work with chefs…so.. lol)

08/16/2012 at 10:42 AM

I agree with this completely. There is a market for this nonsense b/c people pay it attention.

08/16/2012 at 3:26 PM

It's Really Sad To Me For Some Reason. When Your Goal Is To Be Known For Nothing.

08/16/2012 at 10:17 AM

You know, I wonder if writers felt this about tv reporters and tv reporters felt this way about E news people and E News people felt this way about Perez Hilton and bloggers, and now bloggers feel this way about those with popular twitter and tumblr accounts. What i am getting at is that those in one realm of the writing/fame world will probably feel some type of way about those getting acclaim for doing something that they feel is less than what they do. The old head writers of the NYT probably can't stand popular bloggers b/c they feel that they haven't gone to school to write nor pay their dues to be so popular.

Bottom line, social media has changed the game everywhere and what you may find dumb, someone else doesn't. Honestly, it isn't that serious to go in on someone for being popular on tumblr or twitter or blogging or reality tv or craptastic movies that become blockbuster hits.

08/16/2012 at 3:24 PM

I See The Similarities And I Can Agree With Them To A Point. I Don't Begrudge Anyone's Popularity, I Begrudge Having The Goal Of Contributing Nothing And Being OK With That As The Game Plan.

08/16/2012 at 4:40 PM

What's sad is that contributing nothing and being ok with it actually works for some people. It gets you your 15 minutes plus some cash. Sad, i know but something that can't be stopped since…well…it does work.

6. Jessssss

08/16/2012 at 11:21 AM

Forever the optimist I hope that what I write when I blog will provoke a thought or memory. It will cause people to think about their lives. You put yourself out there because you want the attention. But even if I never get it. I have to be proud of what I've done. Some will chalk up the constant stream of ignorance they fart out as "youthful outbursts" but I call shenanigans on that one.

Looks fade or begin to scare peoople (even the manufactured ones…See Vivaca Fox, Pam Anderson or Lil' Kim). What I want people to remember most about me is that the content of what I said brought value to their lives.

08/16/2012 at 3:25 PM

Co-Sign 100%.

• iluvwhoiluv

08/17/2012 at 3:37 PM

Preach!

7. pe.riche.

08/16/2012 at 6:24 PM

I will never understand our society's preoccupation with fame. Forget being well known, I will take generational wealth and anonymity ANY day.

08/16/2012 at 8:47 PM

REAL DAMN TALK!

• iluvwhoiluv

08/17/2012 at 3:37 PM

Indeed!

8. Vanessa

08/16/2012 at 11:04 PM

I am thoroughly convinced that people who beg attention were not given enough as children or were socially awkward therefore with things like social media people can create this persona and get famous off of it…but I think this alot deeper than social media and internet, society as a whole has a microwave mentality. People want what and they want it now therefore the quicker they can get said "fame" they are willing to do that. The instant self gratification thought process is doing more harm than it is helping but at the same time I would be lying if I dont participate in the foolery every time I tune into Love & Hip Hop ATL every Monday #smh

9. Just my two-cents

08/19/2012 at 11:09 AM

I'm 22 and I really wonder about my generation!! So thanks for the post. Mmm I just think these are people are lost, if you know yourself and know the greatness that exist within yourself because you are – not because you are "famous" or whatever identity you make up to satisfy your mind (and that kinda satisfaction is ALWAYS temporary) then you wouldn't be preoccupied with silly hang-ups on who you think you need to be. Not trying to get all preachy, preachy but identification with the ego is the cause of all human suffering! Let go of your ego and you'll find real peace, real happiness and that void to need attention or fame or whatever will cease to hold power over you. (BTW I'm not saying 'you' as in 'you people' just the preverbial 'you')