It Is NOT Black People’s DUTY To Support Gay Rights

I recently watched an interesting video on Youtube that sparked a ferocious debate between me and a few strangers online the other day. As many of you already know, the battle between the LGBT community and Chick-fil-a has greatly intensified all due in part to the company’s president Dan Cathy, coming out and publicly taking an anti-gay-marriage stance. This entire issue has made me LAUGH my ASS off at the abject STUPIDITY on both sides, but the part that made me upset is when people constantly repeat the ideology that it “makes no sense” for Black people to support Chick-fil-a because we should UNDERSTAND and EMPATHIZE with their struggle. Every time I hear that bullish*t argument, the only thing I can think is:

Here’s the video I saw that triggered the debate this weekend:

Look, let me be VERY clear about this: I fully support Gay marriage and I think anyone who opposes a union, that will literally have NO effect on their lives, is absolutely ridiculous. I am happy that Chick-fil-a manned-up and stated their anti-Gay leanings so I know NOT to be a patron in any of their restaurants and keep it moving. I do not support Dan Cathy’s definition of marriage and I’m frankly disturbed that they contribute so much money to Anti-Gay marriage foundations. But here’s the thing: My objection is solely predicated on what I believe is right as a HUMAN BEING – not a Black man.

As much as I’m proud of my skin colour, it does NOT define my intellectual and impassioned leanings in ANY way, shape or form, nor does it have an overtly important impact on my morals, values and perspectives on life. Like any other man or woman on this planet, I am a fully-functioning human being endowed with the ability to reason, discern and pontificate on any issue under the sun, and the impetus of my opinions is based MORESO on my characteristics that too many IDIOTS on the left want to ignore: My faith [agnostic theist], my political leanings [center-left], and my upbringing [strong traditional family values blended against a backdrop of believing everyone should have equal rights in all circumstances]. This system of beliefs is defined by me as a DAMN man – not a Black man.

When I saw the picture above of all these Black people holding up Chick-fil-a bags, the first thing I thought was “I bet you some ninjas gonna wipe they greasy ass hands in the pews and get chicken gravy all over Leviticus” but moral outrage was NOT part of that. But some folk look at that picture and get RILED up and start screaming that Black people should “be ashamed of themselves” for not standing with the Gay community. Well to anyone who would even UTTER that BS, let me simply say, please STOP equating Gay rights with Civil rights. I’m NOT going to go over the tired argument of how much of a false-bullsh*t-equivalency it is (because it’s covered ad nauseum in the Black blogosphere), but JUST-STOP.

More importantly, I will ask LIBERALS in particular to stop insulting the intelligence of Black people, stop trying to shame-guilt Black people and more importantly stop acting as if we ALWAYS must share the same collective conscience. Just like white people, asian people, latino people, men, women, children, gays, lesbians, and any other denomination of people in the world – we are a collection of individuals with our own unique perspectives on life, love and the pursuit of happiness. We are NOT soldiers who MUST fall in line to your cause because we can relate on a much larger scale, nor are we mentally-undeveloped puppets who need to be told the difference between left and RIGHT.

“You mad sissy?!”

Fighting for Gay Marriage is a nobel and worthy cause – but that ideology must be imparted on others on the grounds of it’s moral correctness. It’s just the RIGHT thing to do. But if you are going to treat a large, diverse and unique community as a monolithic entity than you don’t DESERVE the respect you want, simply because of your arrogance, ignorance and hubris.

08/08/2012 at 1:38 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, Do You Agree That Black People Shouldn't Feel Obligated To Support The Gay Community OR Do You Believe That Because Of Our History With Oppression We Should Be Much More Sensitive To Struggle?

2. lalford

08/08/2012 at 2:01 AM

This is a good read. I love how you gave it to us straight, no chaser. I don't understand why people always try to compare Civil Rights w/ Gay Rights along with many other issues that go in the world…It's as though our culture is the 'poster child', for issues such as this one and others. I also don't understand why every time someone says that he/she does not support gay marriage it is a big uproar. The guy was asked a question and simply responded. Besides, are we really surprised? This is a company that is based on Christian principles. This is expected. Also, I love your blog!! Thank you for always posting something that's intellectual and entertaining at the same time.

::Nae::

3. Jess

08/08/2012 at 2:07 AM

OMG! THANK YOU! Ive been saying this for years. I DO NOT CARE WHO YOU SLEEP WITH! But gay rights being equated to civil rights… Have 10 seats please before I vomit. This argument was brought up in an ACLU debate 12 years ago when I was a Sr. In high school.

My stance is that yes according to the definition of civil liberties there are similarities on both groups struggles. However, slavery , oppression Jim crow , etc were all things that were experienced and forced upon black ppl not for freedom of speech but to merely exist and be recognized as MEN!

. It's not the same thing to me. It's just not.

08/08/2012 at 4:42 AM

"But if you are going to treat a large, diverse and unique community as a monolithic entity than you don’t DESERVE the respect you want, simply because of your arrogance, ignorance and hubris."

But we do share the same collective conscious politically. 9/10 we are going to vote democrat. Actually, that number is probably low. It's probably more like 9.3/10. Gay rights is probably the only thing we don't agree on as a collective. But even that is more old generation vs. new generation. When people make this argument that we aren't a monothilitic group, I always think that politically, we are. If this comes down to a states right issue, as seen in NC, then we see a divide where the vote was 67% against gay marriage. So if we vote on issues as a whole we are one monothilitic group but if you separate the the issues, you may see a divide there. I can totally see why any group would think that all blacks vote the same way bc we actually do.

Here's the thing when it comes to gay rights and the black community: it isn't an important issue for us. It's probably below the environment.

This Chik-fil-a thing needs to stop. What's funny is that those who are anti gay marriage and those who are pro gay marriage are trying to impose their morals on all of us. This isn't a moral issue for me. Marriage is nothing but a legal contract bw two individuals. That is the main reason why I am for gay marriage. I don't think that gay marriage should be pushed on people bc of morals (morals are fluid). It should be pushed on people bc it is legally just and makes sense.

Comparing the civil rights movement to the gay rights movement, even though I see where they are trying to go, I can't get on board.

Lastly, most of my friends and I will continue to eat at chick-fil-a and some of these friends are gay. I posted on my fb wall that people should eat where they want to eat but don't impose your morality or guilt on me and that goes for the Christian and the gay community. The gay community has bigger issues to worry about (legalizing gay marriage) than to worry about the "symbolic" meaning of a chicken sandwhich. This boycott has done nothing to help their cause especially in the south.

5. Smilez_920

08/08/2012 at 6:51 AM

Yes Linc.like all groups, culture and races we do have similarities but we are not monolithic group. How dare they try to fake guilt trip us into supporting this cause.

The LGTB community has this tendency to try to guilt trip us into supporting their cause by using the civil right comparison. Like come on, while on the surface level the two causes are similar they are in no way the exact samething.

Also I need the LGTB to understand that just because you are deciding you don't want to eat a certain establishment doesn't mean that the people who do decide to eat there are bad ppl or homophobic or hateful. Just like you want the right to live your life how you want without judgement, others want the same.

6. knight4444

08/08/2012 at 7:24 AM

Remember this that chicken shack restaurant is nothing but a republican gop support group! doesn’t anybody find it coincidental that this republican bastard decided to spew his gay bashing nonsense right before an election??? This isn’t 100% about some typical bigoted conservative neanderthal popping his head from the cave and burning a cross! this was designed be our good friends the minor league KKK aka republican party to con incredibly ignorant black so called ”christians” in not supporting Obama based on religious opinions!! this is about hurting Obama base afro americans! My proof??? one of the black pastors that supports the Chick fil actually calls Obama a child molester!! This is about republicans doing what they do best!! keeping hate and bigotry alive! I guarantee you that phony so called “REV” mr. Owens will be on fux news and limbaugh helping the republican party in trying to defeat Obama guarantee!

7. Vicky

08/08/2012 at 9:08 AM

Obviously civil rights are there to "protect individuals' freedom". There is NO way it's the same type of struggle. The obvious point is to accept everyone for who they are and on that basis they expect the black community to somewhat understand gays struggle. But let's be real, you cannot hide your skin colour as well as you can hide your sexual orientation.. There is no reason why someone should or should not support gay marriages because of their race. It's a personal choice. Not everyone is accepting of gays, just like not everyone accepts Muslims, Asians, Aliens, whatever their bigot ways believe.

If you support them, good for you. If you don't, hooray! At the end of the day, I still believe in ONE LOVE……but then again, that's just me

8. knight4444

08/08/2012 at 10:23 AM

Chick Fil is simply the tip of the iceberb! it this worthless Uncle Tom “REV” Owens that bothers me. Tell me what pastor bares false witness so freely like this nut case? calling someone a child molester is serious stuff! how do you black christian supporters of “REV” Owens feel about his child molester allegation? looks real Christ Like huh? “REV” Owens is a tool being used by the republican party to cripple Obama black base!Owens and his republican MASSIR’S are beyond obvious in this republican BS game. If Owens really cared about morals then, Where was “REV” Owens when republican politicians got caught in adultery time and time again?? Where was “REV” Owens when republican politicians were caught in HOMOSEXUAL affairs often with YOUNG BOYS time and time again? Where was “REV” Owens when republicans like fux news and limbaugh called Obama everything short of NIGGER?? Sarah palin’s entire campaign run was based on feeding white racist that Obama isn’t an american! he’s one of THEM! come on “REV” Owens where were you??? driving over to Larry elder’s house to compare notes on who’s the biggest sellout?? Any black person ignorant enough to fall for Owens and his pack of Uncle Tom’s shouldn’t be in church you should be in a insane asylum!!

9. knight4444

08/08/2012 at 12:17 PM

@mena I used the phrase “uncle tom” twice. How about ”sellout” or “trader’ or ”collaborator” I think most people understood my much bigger far more important point of mr Owens and his ilk. Black people better wake up and remember that the republican party isn’t a joke! these people are trying to put us back on the plantation!! the only difference between then and now is poor whites and hispanics will be maintaining their fields at minimum wage pay. Try looking at how the republican party has grown the top 1% off the backs of the middle class! this country is heading towards plutacracy and very few people see it.

10. Crystals_Back

08/08/2012 at 12:23 PM

I'm just waiting for a gay person to explain to me how protesting and kissing in front of Chick fila will further their cause..

There's bigots out there, get over it and fight the battles that are important to your cause, not a fast food joint.

11. knight4444

08/08/2012 at 12:56 PM

@mena you’re not very bright. if you actually spent more time researching where this country is heading rather than hopping on the internet trying to debate people way out of your league you’d understand why people are protesting wall street and why the wealth has been transferred purposely to the haves the top 1%. You’re ignorance is hilarious! don’t you at least watch world news?? why don’t you google ”top 1%” and educate yourself. Why don’t you google ”citizens united” why don’t you google ”chamber of commerance” why don’t you google ”southern strategy” conspiracy theory ? no you’re just ignorant that’s all. I don’t have time to educate children via the internet! say your child like babble and go study lol you’ve made a fool of yourself.

12. knight4444

08/08/2012 at 1:19 PM

@mena you should try watchi Bill Moyers or listen to NPR and get with the 21st century on economics, damn I thought anybody with any understanding of politics and basic economic’s knows that the wealthy are getting huge tax cuts corporations sends lobbiest to Washington the buy politicians on both sides to regulate laws to benefit the wealthy or deregulate existing laws like Glass/Spegal or the deregulation of the wall street. You better stick to talking about what hollywood actor is sleeping with whom! politics isn’t your forte that’s painfully obvious.

13. knight4444

08/08/2012 at 1:49 PM

Sources of information for our learning impaired readers http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/11 wealthy http://www.wikipedia distribution of wealth http://www.thinkprogress.org/10/topwealtest/1% http://www.vanityfair.com/topone percent. these are all well known conspiracy theory news originations but I kinda trust them lol

top 1% and republicans a conspiracy theory? that’s funny

I’m out, peace

14. ATLienSince82

08/08/2012 at 3:27 PM

Niggas down here ain't pausin on eatin them chicken sandwiches because gay folks is mad…and we ain't gonna start voting for romney over some chicken either..

Yawl take things too far up there sometimes doe

15. Aboriginal

08/08/2012 at 11:00 PM

My main issue with gay activists constantly throwing out the "black people should support them" is that it makes them look really confused about life. Think about it, what the hell does black people have to do with gays and lesbians? Nothing at all, because a person who is gay or lesbian is not some deformed version of a human being, gays and lesbians come from all walks of life, they are black, asian, hispanic, russian, european, african and they completely miss this point every time they open their mouths.

It's ridiculous they feel compelled to only target black people when it is a Human Rights issue. There are times I feel they make it harder for their community to be respected.

16. knight4444

08/09/2012 at 10:14 AM

@grandcentral you disagree with my delivery (WHY?) and you (KINDA) agree with me? everything I’ve said is true. Anybody that’s studied politics and watched and listened to the republican party over the last 30 years like I have knows that this party has been a prisoner to the religious right. their southern strategy has finally backfired! Republicans must tow the line to satisfy religious racist of the south and southwest . They have to be champions of their religious wing and which is typical white religious homophobic racist bigoted anti woman and extremely anti science. These are not mainstream themes to win elections but they jumped in bed with the southern churches making unholy deals with fake pastors like Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson etc etc so instead of the phony pastors teaching the GOSPEL they were brainwashing their congregation with republican ideology! Painting Jesus as this hater or poor people! please! Christ didn’t hang out with rich people! he found REAL people in the hood! but republicans are making him look like he only loved the wealthy! which was the complete opposite of the truth.

17. knight4444

08/09/2012 at 10:38 AM

@grandcentral I agree with your opinions on Newt and his band of KKK waterboys! I really don’t care about anyone’s (DELIVERY) whether someone uses profanity, bad grammar, I can tune some of that out my main concern is if the author is speaking the truth! I haven’t said one thing here that anybody with proof not opinions proof can say I’m wrong. Everything I’ve said can be checked by doing their research via reading trusted books or simply using the internet. If any Mr. Owens supporters can show me where he criticized the republican party on CNN, fox news on C-SPAN, got in a feud with the NAACP! about them supporting gay rights. show proof of Mr Owens going after republicans! Where was Mr Owens when Ted Haggard got caught with a teenage male prostitute in Europe???

18. knight4444

08/09/2012 at 10:45 AM

@mena go study economics and politics grown people are talking now! You crawl out of your hole just to personally attack someone that simply exposed you for the light weight you are! Remember you’re the one who started the whole dialog with me! I didn’t come to you! it was you that started talking smack with zero intelligence! now go study

19. knight4444

08/09/2012 at 12:34 PM

@mena once again you show your raw stupidity first off on my web page here there is NO ”reply button” so once again you’re making assumptions and looking foolish. Secondly theres no tirade here, I’m laughing at you and how juvenile and ignorant you are keep it up! your good for a cheap laugh. Seriously wouldn’t it behoove you to get that GED rather than get on the internet and look ridiculous? lol once again GO study!! LMAO

20. knight4444

08/09/2012 at 12:55 PM

I was on a black christian website last week the topic Obama ‘s pro gay stance. Everybody on “that” website were very upset with Obama and said they lost their vote. Their rational was Obama was mocking the holy scriptures and thus mocking GOD!! See religion can make people do things that aren’t necessarily in their best interest. Now do I believe the majority of black voters think this way?? of course not! But the republican party getting Mr Owens to throw this hand grenade in the black community doesn’t help! Obama already has the republican party throwing the kitchen sink at him with phony birther lies and phony voter suppression nonsense (ASK AL GORE) the ”he’s a muslim terrorist’ nonsense white racist love feasting on. But anybody foolish enough to think religion isn’t powerful they need to study history and see what religion has done to us!! The Spanish inquisitions were brutal and a low point in world history.

21. knight4444

08/09/2012 at 1:04 PM

Sorry for the typo’s it’s ”rationale” not ”rational” and it should be ”and said that Obama lost their vote” my bad. of course my critic will happily jump on that. have fun

22. gt5

08/09/2012 at 1:35 PM

Anybody that is a undergraduate at any university and doesn’t know about the top 1% must be either sleeping in their classes or on the cell phone talking jack

23. gt5

08/09/2012 at 3:15 PM

Knight4444 you’re right about mena she’s not on the ball at all. She needs a course in civics desperately OMG. enough of her craziness, I believe in human rights for all it’s a struggle but we all deserve to be treated fairly and equal.

24. gt5

08/09/2012 at 3:36 PM

Thank you for observing little Miss can’t do wrong! she enjoys starting crap and when you expose her stupidity she runs away unfortunately she keeps returning with something even dumber to say! it’s the ”Shananay gene” talking, nobody really pays attention to her endless babblings. Anyway I totally agree with you on the human rights position if they can deny rights for gay people then we all lose as a race, the human race we’re all in this together.

25. Knight4444

08/09/2012 at 5:09 PM

I actually in all seriousness have a small business on ebay and even though I’m on the computer a lot I can’t get here very often. Anyway it’s nice to have different opinions even if some of us are kinda out there lol. hey just because someone agreed with me don’t hate. Is that me? what? come on your prozac must be getting low you need a few dollars for a refill? just kidding

26. Pingback: Would You Be In Your Gay Son’s Or Best Friends Wedding? « From Ashy to Classy