Around this time last year, I was running this blog, coordinating events, creating a book proposal and embarking on the beginning of a public speaking career – ALL while working full time. Writing and Public Speaking are my PASSIONS, but sitting in a cubicle for 45+ hours a week to make ends meet was the reality of my life – and just like many people attempting to chase their dreams, if a potential stepping stone to the future I desired was met by the road block of responsibility, I acquiesced to the thing preventing me from doing what I wanted. I rationalized my behaviour by stating ‘this is just how life is’ and kept pushing my dreams further in the future, not knowing that I was actually pushing them closer to extinction.

But the further I pushed my dreams away, the unhappier I became and that unhappiness began to bleed it’s way into every facet of my life. I couldn’t be a good boyfriend, a good son, a good brother or a good friend because I was extremely hampered by the thought that all my dreams were dying and there was nothing I could do. But then I realized something that changed my life immensely:

No matter what obstacles stand in my way, I am the author of my future – and if I don’t achieve my dreams, NO Excuse is needed because it’s nobodies fault but my own.

After coming to this realization I began pushing myself harder than ever before. Here was my Monday-Friday schedule:

8 AM: Wake-up
9 AM: Start commute
10:45 AM: End commute/Write On Train/Arrive at work
7:45 PM: Leave work/Start commute home/Write On Train
9:30 PM: Arrive home
9:45-11 PM: Social Media Interaction/Check E-mail
11 PM – 12 AM: Gym
12 AM – 5 AM: Update Blog/Social Media Postings/Send Email
5 AM – 6 AM: Read E-book on entrepreneurial studies/motivation/blogging/speaking/book writing/etc.
6 AM – 8 AM: Sleep

Some of you may think I’m making this up, but I have MANY people who can attest to the fact that I averaged 10-12 hours of sleep from Sunday night to Thursday night. I don’t say this to brag or to act like a tough guy, I say this because as much as I realize my motivation was cool, it wasn’t focused as well as it COULD have been. I was working HARD, but I wasn’t working SMART. I didn’t learn HOW to chase my dreams more intelligently until I met like-minded people who helped keep me focused, motivated and energized. As much progress as I believe I’ve made, I KNOW there’s A LOT of room for improvement and I’ll be DAMNED if I wait until New Years Eve just to update my Facebook status to “2013 is MY year!”.

So today, Wednesday August 29th, 2012, as someone who is STILL trying to get better at not allowing my dream to dissipate into darkness, I’m asking you for YOUR HELP – and in return, I want to HELP you the SAME exact way, so here’s what I propose:

The 52-Week Pledge – A Challenge For YOU To Get Closer To YOUR Dreams No Matter WHAT

The pledge is simple – but the challenge is NOT. I want everyone willing to be a part of this endeavour to swear RIGHT NOW [not tomorrow, not tonight after your meeting, or next week after your schedule at work/school is less hectic] that you will spend the next 52 weeks relentlessly chasing your dream. My personal motto is “Everyday is an opportunity” and we all going to embody the spirit of that message by making sure that EVERY week is a SUBSTANTIAL leap forward, towards the end goal of achieving our dreams. That doesn’t mean that we will all accomplish this goal, but we DAMN SURE will be a LOT further along than we EVER could on our own.

How you ask?

ACCOUNTABILITY.

I want everyone interested in doing this challenge with me to write in the comment section below what your goal is, and it can be ANYTHING from opening up a store, to getting your masters to being a better husband. No dream is too small. But I don’t just want you to comment about your own dream, I want you to reply to at least ONE other person’s comment so you can make sure to hold THAT person accountable. Because this is my idea and I’m really motivated to get this idea going, I will DEFINITELY be holding everyone who comments accountable for chasing their dream, and although I don’t expect the same from all of you, if you can help ONE person be accountable it will be a monumental feat in giving them the courage and focus we ALL need.

Each Wednesday of the next 52 weeks, every single ONE of us [including myself] must state ONE important and necessary thing we did in the past 7 days to make our dream a reality. Our accountability partner(s) will then ask us the following:

- How did your actions bring you closer to your goal?

- Did you HONESTLY do everything in your power to progress your dreams this past week? How could you have done more?

- What is your plan to progress your goals in the next  7 days?

My hope for this idea, is that every week we will help each other push past the distractions, the frustrations and the occasional isolation we face travelling down this road we sometimes feel we are on alone.

I really hope this doesn’t come off as corny and contrived, because the reality is I DO need YOUR help to stay focused and motivated, and I’m more than willing to return the favour. As much as I wish this pledge could touch everyone, I’m more than prepared that it may only touch 5 or 10 people, but believe me when I say if that’s all, I will MORE than cherish that 5 or 10 and we can work together to push ourselves towards the life that we not only want, but the life we DESERVE.

08/29/2012 at 7:44 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, if you are interested in being apart of this challenge, just please type "I accept the pledge" and then state what goal you are trying to achieve, and where you WANT to be in achieving that goal a year from now.

Also, if you could hit reply and pledge to hold someone else accountable, I would really appreciate that.

I will post a status-report blog every Wednesday and I we will make sure to discuss our progress, our challenges and face our fears – but dammit we will do it together.

if you have any comments or questions about this, please comment below and I will answer immediately.

• readthinkwriteteach

08/29/2012 at 9:23 AM

<div class="idc-message" id="idc-comment-msg-div-430484172"><a class="idc-close" title="Click to Close Message" href="javascript: IDC.ui.close_message(430484172)"><span>Close Message</span> Comment posted. <p class="idc-nomargin"><a class="idc-share-facebook" target="_new" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2 Fwww.thisisyourconscience.com%2F2012%2F08%2Ftiyc-presents-the-52-week-pledge-i-challenge-you-to-get-closer-to-your-dreams%2F#IDComment430484172&t=I%20just%20commented%20on%20TIYC%20Presents%3A%20The%2052%20Week%20Pledge%20%5BI%20Challenge%20YOU%20To%20Get%20CLOSER%20To%20Your%20Dreams%5D" style="text-decoration: none;"><span class="idc-share-inner"><span>Share on Facebook</span></span> or <a href="javascript: IDC.ui.close_message(430484172)">Close MessageI accept this the pledge. I find this post fortuitous as I just decided to work on a book of essays and just didn't know where to start (well I did pull all the books that I will need) but have yet to start writing. My goal for the next 52 weeks is to work every day (whether it is writing, reading or editing) my book of essays. Today I will create a schedule and stick to it.

08/29/2012 at 2:07 PM

Great! I will be looking forward to hearing your progress and YES that means starting next Wednesday! Keep grinding.

• Michael

08/29/2012 at 12:37 PM

Lincoln, do you mind if I post this in my blog? iceman21.wordpress.com

This is an awesome challenge that should extend to everyone out there, and I would be honored to join it and challenge others as well.

08/29/2012 at 2:08 PM

Hey Michael, feel free to share this as much as possible. What goal/dream are you trying to achieve?

• Jesssssssssss

08/29/2012 at 2:55 PM

Linc,

This is so frickin' inspiring (& corny)! But I can't lie. I'm hype! Teamwork makes the dream work!

* "eye of the tiger* plays in backgroundstands. Jess stands atop the Lincoln Memorial and hops from foot to foot in grey sweats…arms extended*

Wooooooooooo!

*Jess has a seat*

• Tabitha

08/29/2012 at 9:29 PM

I accept the challenge. My goal is to finish my bachelor's degree, start my business in the healthcare field, and I desire to have launched the other facets of my business and to be fully opulent in the coming year.

08/29/2012 at 10:23 PM

Thanks Tabitha, when do you start school?

09/06/2012 at 2:00 PM

Hi Tabitha, We would love to hear how your first week went and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

Please follow this link and let us know: http://www.thisisyourconscience.com/2012/09/the-5

• Mich

09/02/2012 at 12:18 PM

I accept this pledge.
      I have two current goals.
      1. To make a GOOD living doing what I love, selling real estate.
      2. Open myself up to a relationship.

Yup that sums it up. It's not Wednesday but today is just as good a day to jump on this.

• LINDA

09/05/2012 at 8:27 AM

I accept the pledge. I want to consult for a minimum of four overseas resorts at no less than $15,000 per assignment, have my product for ethnic skin exfoliation on the market with my brand and have 2 speaking engagements at international spa conferences.

08/29/2012 at 7:46 AM

I guess I will go first:

I Accept The Pledge.

I want to be a published author as well as have self-published material out as well. I hope a year from now I have a self-sustaining income just from my books alone.

• Eric

08/29/2012 at 8:18 AM

I will hold you accountable. Hang in there we can do it together! I believe and have faith you will accomplish your goal! Good luck!

08/29/2012 at 2:09 PM

Thanks Eric, feel free to give me an E-kick me in the behind if I start slacking.

• Jaida

08/31/2012 at 4:48 AM

I will hold you accountable. Honestly, I'm surprised you haven't already reached your goal, but sometimes we need a push to make our dreams reality.

08/31/2012 at 5:51 AM

I appreciate it Jaida.

3. Eric

08/29/2012 at 8:17 AM

I Accept the Pledge.

I want to be playing football. Semi pro or even better pro (a lot of hard work)! A good husband, father, and even better man.

4. @DoWuSem

08/29/2012 at 8:18 AM

I pledge to workout at least THREE times every week.
    I pledge to read a book every week.

08/29/2012 at 2:10 PM

Great stuff. What can you tell us about your health right now? What are your workout goals? Lose weight/build muscle/etc.?

• GrandCentral

08/29/2012 at 4:37 PM

This is a fantastic goal. I have a little tip that I used and has helped me with the working out. I've been working out regularly for almost two years now. What I did was let my friends and others (perfect – you now have all of us) know what I was doing. I have three friends who are as serious about working out as I am and we formed a little truth alliance. I work out 6 days a week no matter what. Some night I don't get to the gym until 10.30pm. To hold myself accountable to myself and my alliance, I have to check in via Facebook when I get to the gym. No cheating! Trust me it works wonders. I also wanted to get into running, (which I started and was doing quite well until I tore a ligament and never went to the damn doctor, now I am in physical therapy and can't run or wear heels) so I got this app on my iPhone that's linked to Facebook and it tracks my runs and reports everything to Facebook, so my crew see what i've done. Again, no cheating.

People think I am crazy because the only thing I post on Facebook are my check in's at the gym. But it works!

• GrandCentral

08/29/2012 at 4:46 PM

Forgot to tell you too buddy! I got you! I support you 100%!

• @DoWuSem

09/05/2012 at 4:40 AM

Thanks for the support guys. I have already workout 4 times this week. I realized when a go to the gym with my friend. I push harder. We turn it into a challenge where we both take rounds on an equipment while the other is watching. But we work different shift patterns now. I need to find a partner. I'd try love to do the facebook thing but I don't want my over 600 friends to know I workout.

I read the 208-page book ''12 Questions to Ask Before You Marry'' by Clayton and Charie King on my Kindle. I've been thinking of writing a blog post after reading every book.

Note: My week is from Sunday to Saturday

• @DoWuSem

09/05/2012 at 5:22 AM

I'm 5' 7''3 short and I weight 70kg (ie. 154lbs). My BMI is 24. Normal.

My goal is get build muscles. Any ideas?

5. GrandCentral

08/29/2012 at 8:35 AM

I love this stuff!!!! Excellent, now I can release my friends from my constant obsessive thoughts and enlist all of you instead :)

I Accept the Pledge.

I want to start my own company, pay off my student loans, start a college scholarship foundation to benefit young black women from my high school, write the novel that has been sitting in my head for over 8 years, run the New York City Marathon, be a full ethical Vegan (I made a pledge at 25 to do this by 30. I have until April 2013 and I can't shake my diary addiction. I've been meat free for over a year) and buy a 2 bedroom/2bathroom condo in New York City close to Central Park.

Yes, I dream big and in bulk!

08/29/2012 at 2:12 PM

Ha! Please understand that I will be challenging you on every one of those points, because no matter how far away some of them may be, the steps towards those goals can start today.

• GrandCentral

08/29/2012 at 4:31 PM

Bring it on Mr. Blades! I am going to challenge you as well . This is stuff I have written down and am somewhat actively working on.

I am actually going to an entrepreneur seminar this evening (if I can get out of my office by 6pm) that my business partner passed along to me.

08/29/2012 at 7:39 PM

We gotta get that IF out your vocabulary! LoL

• GrandCentral

08/29/2012 at 8:14 PM

LOL! You'll only hear me say "IF" when it has to do with work. That truly is an "IF" since that is my method of eating and putting a roof over my head :)

However, I made it (was 15mins late, but oh well) and just made two key contacts and a connection for a local program for young entrepreneurs, which I plan to apply to this evening. I would say that day 1 of the challenge has been a good one.

08/29/2012 at 10:24 PM

See you're off to a great start and you made it work. Some people may have not even went just because they might be late.

6. Bee

08/29/2012 at 9:11 AM

I accept the pledge!

I intend to leave a job that is stifling me and move into a career that fulfills me (and my bank account). I intend to be a published writer, and work my creativity and passion for writing into sustainable income. I intend to host 1-2 events for women in Toronto and in my hometown – one, a networking event, and the other a natural hair care event. I intend to get off my behind (literally and figuratively) and make sure I'm in peak holistic health.

Let's get it, y'all!

• Antoinette

08/29/2012 at 10:35 AM

I will hold you accountable. Good luck! God will see you through just keep the faith.

08/29/2012 at 2:14 PM

Good stuff! Let's get moving!

• Jesssssssssss

08/29/2012 at 3:05 PM

I support you! Girl, you can start with me. I'm getting healthier and 6 months into my natural hair. I need all the help I can get.

Let's go!

• GrandCentral

08/29/2012 at 4:45 PM

You can do it! Don't let fear of the economy or people around you tell you otherwise. I have a little story to share…. I was an investment banker in NYC doing VERY well until 2008. I woke up one morning and decided that I could no longer stomach the work, my miserable life and decided that it was time to call it quits. Actually, I read this damn book called – Get Yours! How to Have Everything You Ever Dreamed of and More BY Amy DuBois Barnett. I highly recommend you read this book, it will help you. It LITERALLY changed my life. I read the book in March or April and I plotted my escape from June to September. On September 15th 2008, the stock market in the US crashed. If you've seen the movie "too big to fail," I worked for one of those investment banks and the weekend that the movie is focused on, was the worst weekend of my life. That Friday, I gave my two weeks and left in early October. The best thing I've ever done. I took a job as a receptionist from March 2009 until December 2010 to clear my head and study for the LSAT's. I landed in my current situation in Jan 2011 and it has been the best thing to happen to me. I love my career, where it's going and I am happy.

On your health, take baby steps. Remember little change is better than no change.

• Jesssssssssss

08/30/2012 at 12:21 PM

I'm getting the book mentioned above…tomorrow!

• GrandCentral

09/03/2012 at 2:24 PM

Be careful :) It will change your life. Let me know what you think. I just might pull it off my bookshelf and re-read a few chapters again for motivation.

I am a book junkie and have a book for everything, you name it, I can look on my book shelf and give a recommendation. Another great read for you to pick up after this book is, The Little Black Book of Success: Laws of Leadership for Black Women. While "Get Yours!" will help you to realize that you need to make the change and give you the tools to make the change, "Little Black Book" will tell you how to handle the change once you've made it.

Which reminds me, I've loaned out this book and didn't get it back. I need to make a call.

You will enjoy both books. Looking forward to discussing them with you!

• GrandCentral

08/29/2012 at 4:46 PM

Oh Yeah! You have my support 100%!

• Dominique

08/29/2012 at 6:08 PM

fantantic. I am a loc wearer. let me know when you are going to host all of your events listed above. I will definitely be there. ;)

09/06/2012 at 2:04 PM

Hi Bee, We would love to hear how your first week went and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

7. Andrew

08/29/2012 at 9:18 AM

Amen,

A great career and marriage / my own place are my goals. I'm taking baby steps in those directions, but I want to be sprinting soon, God-willing.

#leggo

08/29/2012 at 2:15 PM

Andrew I definitely got your back, and believe me, I will give you an e-kick in the behind if you keep taking baby steps even after you're ready to sprint.

09/06/2012 at 2:04 PM

Hi Andrew, We would love to hear how your first week went and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

8. readthinkwriteteach

08/29/2012 at 9:32 AM

• Tabitha

08/29/2012 at 9:38 PM

I will hold you accountable! You can do it and your commitment plan sounds like a great place to start! Look for me on Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/tabitha.kelly I'm serious about this! Let's go!

09/06/2012 at 2:04 PM

Hi readthinkwriteteach, We would love to hear how your first week went and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

9. Santanae

08/29/2012 at 10:25 AM

Love it & I accept this pledge!!!!

I am currently working as a Stylist for the Hudson’s Bay Company. I want to be an established fashion and wardrobe stylist working for myself and have it as my main source of income by this time next year. I will reach this goal by interning/volunteering and attend as many events possible and break out of my shy shell and excel in networking. Furthermore I will need to build and expand on my portfolio by working with various photographers/models/mua on test shots.I also want my website/online portfolio up and running by the end of this year.

I also pledge to support each and everyone of you to the best of my ability:)

Let’s make it happen!

08/29/2012 at 2:17 PM

Great Santanae, I definitely will pledge to support you. I'm definitely interested in hearing how much you accomplish in the next 7 days.

• Jesssssssssss

08/29/2012 at 3:03 PM

I support you! Stylist are some of my favorite people! You can do it. I also shy so let's break out together and get this stuff done.

10. Antoinette

08/29/2012 at 10:32 AM

I Accept The Pledge.

I plan to register and start building my own printing and design business which includes invitations for any events such as birthday parties, weddings, funerals, etc, etc. This also includes website designs.

I hope a year from now I can invest in a decent printing and design machine (these are expensive) and see my business soar beyond my expectations with exceptional clients. I'm also hoping to complete a website design course at a community college part time.

I believe this is a GREAT idea Mr. Blades. Keep up the good work!

08/29/2012 at 2:20 PM

Thanks Antoinette! I definitely pledge to hold you accountable to those goals!

• Bee

08/29/2012 at 2:59 PM

Hi Antoinette! I'm returning the favour and will support you as we move through to our goals! Thanks for supporting me too!

09/06/2012 at 2:05 PM

Hi Antoinette, We would love to hear how your first week went and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

11. Michael

08/29/2012 at 12:42 PM

I Accept The Pledge.

I intend to be at 265lbs by May of 2013. I intend to be enrolled in college to finish my degree by April 2013. I intend to get actively flying and teaching aviation students again by the end of 2013. The above statement will help me realize the dream of owning my own business and flight school. I intend to play professional football again for the 2013 season. I will support my wife and children in providing a loving, nurturing home for them to flourish in. I will support my wife in all that she does and be her biggest advocate in success.

08/29/2012 at 2:21 PM

Sounds great man, I love the focus! Are you looking to drop down to 265 or bulk up?

• Michael

08/29/2012 at 2:51 PM

I am currently 285-290. The heaviest I have been is 334lbs. So I have lost quite a bit already but I am in the process of getting shredded.

08/29/2012 at 3:17 PM

Aiight fam let's get it!

• Mila

08/29/2012 at 9:52 PM

I will hold you accountable Michael. email me daily and tell me what exercise you have done. msriahstar09@aol.com

09/06/2012 at 2:05 PM

Hi Michael, We would love to hear how your first week went and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

08/29/2012 at 2:11 PM

I will definitely hold you accountable Eric, and I'm really interested in hearing what you've do this week to move closer to those goals.

13. Darmisha Pierson

08/29/2012 at 2:35 PM

I accept the challenge.

I desire to be an influential image manager and publicist with a lucrative career. I desire to help people and assist them in becoming the person they truly want to be and live to their fullest potential, while looking good and staying drama free. Through this journey in attaining this career/lifestyle I want to keep my integrity and become an even greater woman of God who doesn't have to sacrifice my relationship with God to attain this ultimate success.

• Jesssssssssss

08/29/2012 at 2:53 PM

I pledge to hold you accountable. I know you and I know you have "the goods" to make all of your dreams come true!

Woo! Your gonna nail it man! Yeah! *fist pump*

08/29/2012 at 3:21 PM

Yeah Jess, you are perfect for holding Darmisha accountable since I can already see some similarities between you two.

• Jesssssssssss

08/29/2012 at 3:29 PM

Yeah. She has been the homie since 7th grade. We're doing it!

08/29/2012 at 3:22 PM

I will definitely be on you to keep striving for your dreams!

09/06/2012 at 2:05 PM

Hi Darmisha, We would love to hear how your first week went and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

08/29/2012 at 2:46 PM

I am overseas right now on vacation. Can I get back to you next week? I want to partake in this but as I write this right now, I am a tad out of sorts :-)

08/29/2012 at 3:23 PM

Just because we are E-friends I will let you slide for now, but you can tell us what your dream is from now, can't you?

15. Jesssssssssss

08/29/2012 at 2:51 PM

I ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE.

I desire to live outside my head. Remove the filter and live out loud (minus all cliche's that could be inserted after that). I desire to work out 3x per week and get health for myself. I desire to take a real vacation. I desire to purchase clothing and style myself as I see me in "my mind's eye" and making no apologies. I desire to live by my pen (blogging, writing fiction, non-fiction,etc.) where I am able to sustain my household & also have a more than ample surplus. I desire to become an empowerment coach, public speaker & team builder. I desire to form a non profit organization that focuses on children who have lost their parents.

I desire to be the "me" that I have wanted to be for the past 30 years.

• Jesssssssssss

08/29/2012 at 3:01 PM

Oh and all of the items mentioned above will be apart of Jessica Wright Entereprises. My very own business.

Wooo!!!

08/29/2012 at 3:23 PM

I will definitely be holding you accountable. Let's keep grinding!

• Bee

08/29/2012 at 3:23 PM

I gotchu girl! You can do it!

16. Hana

08/29/2012 at 2:52 PM

I plan to finish my book and docu-series proposals and get back to getting submissions.

08/29/2012 at 3:24 PM

Great Hana! I will definitely be making sure to help you stay focused as much as I possibly can.

09/06/2012 at 2:05 PM

Hi Hana, We would love to hear how your first week went and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

17. Pingback: TIYC Presents: The 52 Week Pledge [I Challenge YOU To Get CLOSER To Your Dreams] | Random Ramblings of a Man named Mike

18. maria

08/29/2012 at 9:50 PM

I accept the pledge.
    I pledge to weigh 145lbs.
    I pledge to be a more confident lady.
    I pledge to discover my true desires.
    I pledge to be a better speaker.

08/29/2012 at 10:25 PM

And I pledge to hold you accountable to your goals and dreams.

• Anastasia!!!

08/30/2012 at 1:15 AM

I love this! I will support you as well, especially because your pledges remind me of my own.

Go go go!

09/06/2012 at 2:06 PM

Hi maria, We would love to hear how your first week went and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

• 3Ls

09/08/2012 at 10:19 AM

These are honest goals of which I would like to support you. Sonide_simon@yahoo.com let's keep in touch my name on here is 3Ls

19. Sienia A.

08/29/2012 at 11:14 PM

I accept the pledge and I pledge to launch my lifestyle brand DOGGOD this October 2012 as a successful endeavor. I pledge to educate myself on current marketing and business practices in order to promote and expand my target audience. By this time next year, I want to have hosted 4 events, released 4 mixtapes, interviewed 50+ ppl and have a flourishing menswear line.
    http://Www.d0gg0d.com <—- understand my dream

08/29/2012 at 11:40 PM

The fact that you already threw your link up let's me know you are gonna do really well with this challenge!

09/06/2012 at 2:06 PM

Hi Sienia, We would love to hear how your first week went and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

20. THE EXPERIENCE 1

08/29/2012 at 11:22 PM

I'll accept the pledge

Goal 1. Publish a fully functional Lifestyle Online Magazine
    Goal 2. Develop a creative team of contributors
    Goal 3. Network, Market, Advertise my publication
    Goal 4. Pitch and contribute to successful major publications

Someone hold me accountable

08/29/2012 at 11:40 PM

Since I know a few people who know a lot about this stuff, I will definitely be holding you accountable!

09/06/2012 at 2:06 PM

Hi The Experience 1, We would love to hear how your first week went and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

21. Nee

08/30/2012 at 12:02 AM

I Accept the Pledge to become a well known producer

08/30/2012 at 12:34 PM

Thanks Nee, I really want to hear your progress next week.

09/06/2012 at 2:06 PM

Hi Nee, We would love to hear how your first week went and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

22. Anastasia!!!

08/30/2012 at 1:13 AM

I am new to this site but I've spent like hours and hours going backward reading EVERYTHING.

I accept the challenge.

I will be finished with my weight loss well before the next year. I will be back in NYC pursuing my acting and doing all things to become better as an actress.

Thanks Lincoln for this blog and for this challenge. GREAT!!!

08/30/2012 at 12:35 PM

Welcome to TIYC Anastasia and I look forward to seeing you progress through this challenge!

09/06/2012 at 2:07 PM

Hi Anastasia, We would love to hear how your first week went and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

23. Moi

08/30/2012 at 4:45 AM

I accept the pledge.

I pledge to be on my way to a promotion.
    I pledge to further my knowledge in International Relations cause that's what I really want to pursue as my career
    I pledge to live healthy (mind, body,soul)

08/30/2012 at 12:36 PM

Great Moi, looking forward to watching your progress!

24. PaperChasin

08/31/2012 at 4:20 AM

Arite Lincoln, I've followed your blog for a while now but never really felt inclined to join in and comment until this corny-ass post. I've been going thru a hell of a time this last year and I never realized just how far off track I've strayed in terms of my goals and life dreams until I read this article.

So here goes, and I want somebody to seriously hold me to this and vice-versa:

*get at least a (legal!) part-time job
    *continue my education
    *work on my health, both physical and mental
    *take steps towards opening my bar (networking, more hands on business training)

Wednesday I'll be posting up a breakdown and time frame for my goals and I'll expect the same from you!

If you're going to hold me accountable be prepared for a serious commitment ;)

08/31/2012 at 5:53 AM

Aiight let's get it PaperChasin!

• GrandCentral

09/03/2012 at 2:15 PM

I've got my eye on you :) I'll be watching closely, plus I think I may be able to chime in and give you a few tidbits next week.

09/06/2012 at 2:07 PM

Hi PaperChasin, We would love to hear how your first week went and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

25. Jaida

08/31/2012 at 4:42 AM

I'm new to TIYC, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this challenge!!! I'm gonna post this on my blog and on FB. Definitely needed to see this and encourage others!

I was just complaining yesterday about some stuff I want, but haven't made good attempts at, so I accept the challenge.

1. I pledge to be at my ideal weight, by working out at least 3 times a week.
    2. I pledge to be fluent in Spanish, by actively working on it for the rest of my 4 months in Costa Rica.
    3. I pledge to take my love of photography seriously by investing in a good camera and enrolling in a class.
    4. I pledge to have the option to retire by 40 by eliminating my student loan debt and mortgage payments (13 years to go, but I can start working on this when I return to the States and have a job lol).

08/31/2012 at 5:53 AM

Aiight I got you Jaida and I'mma be on you so you can complete these tasks!

• @ThatsLooon

08/31/2012 at 9:11 AM

I'm totally holding you on these as well especially on that Spanish :)

09/06/2012 at 2:07 PM

Hi Jaida, We would love to hear how your first week went and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

• Jaida

09/06/2012 at 2:21 PM

I updated my progress last night, but thanks for keeping on me! lol

26. @ThatsLooon

08/31/2012 at 9:10 AM

I like this and I think this is def what i needed
    My Goals:
    Get My body back – I want to get down to 80kg by January next year
    Start dancing again
    Be published in 4 online publications
    Start working ion my business plan
    Start consulting again for my ""side hustle"
    Get back into radio
    Start MC'ing event
    Update my blog weekly

Yeah and make up my mind on what i actually want to do my Masters on

08/31/2012 at 7:03 PM

I will definitely be holding you to ALL off this!

• Jaida

09/05/2012 at 10:51 PM

How did it go last week for reaching your goals?

• @ThatsLooon

09/08/2012 at 4:50 PM

Started a new series on my blog called the African Mixtape Series that has garnered quite a following so this is really motivation cause people want their new fix every week.

09/06/2012 at 2:08 PM

Hi ThatsLooon, We would love to hear how your first week went and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

27. Sarai

09/01/2012 at 8:43 PM

I'm a new reader but this post most DEF inspired me more!
    I have 3 goals that I'm working on and they are:
    Lose 10 more pounds by the end of the year
    Make my online magazine become more known by next year and create a living from it
    I'm also an aspiring songwriter, I have songs already written and I'm taking vocal classes as well but my goal is to have AT LEAST 5-10 songs produced so that I can shop around and try to get an publishing deal with a record label.
    HARD but I'm not going to give up..I seriously want to be able to quit my day job ASAP!

09/04/2012 at 2:34 AM

Thank you so much Sarai, I will be holding you accountable to your goals.

09/06/2012 at 2:08 PM

Hi Sarai, We would love to hear how your first week went and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

28. fourpageletter

09/02/2012 at 1:28 AM

kudos for this post!!
    look forward to reading up on the progress!! :)

09/04/2012 at 2:35 AM

What's your goals?!?

29. Evy

09/03/2012 at 2:35 AM

Awesome post! I'm a new reader but I'm definitely down for the challenge.

I pledge to demolish the MCAT this coming February and get accepted into my top 5 medical schools.

I pledge to remove the clutter from all aspects of my life especially my personal spaces (room, car, etc.)

I pledge to be more aggressive

09/04/2012 at 2:36 AM

Thank you Evy, I really want you to succeed and I will am pledging to keep you focused!

09/06/2012 at 2:08 PM

Hi Evy, We would love to hear how your first week went and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

30. Ms. Williams

09/03/2012 at 12:01 PM

"I accept the pledge"

My goal is to get accepted into nursing school by the end of th year.

09/04/2012 at 2:36 AM

Great goal Ms. Williams. I got your back.

• MissTierney

09/05/2012 at 5:32 PM

Great goal Ms. Williams! You can do this!

09/06/2012 at 2:09 PM

Hi Ms. Williams, We would love to hear how your first week went and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

31. Steph Johnson

09/03/2012 at 12:40 PM

I accept the pledge!

My goal is to be a published author! My goal is to write EVERYDAY, whether it's one word, one sentence or a paragraph. I would like my book finished within the year.
    My goal is to graduate with my Bachelors in English and Film.
    My goal is to be a screenwriter in film/television.
    My goal is to workout at least 3 days at week and eat healthier! I am not consistent with either!
    My goal is to become financially smarter. Improve my credit and eliminate debt.
    My goal is to own my own Indie Bookstore! This goal seems somewhat impossible to me and quite intimidating.

Thanks for the post! This came at a GREAT time!!

• PaperChasin

09/03/2012 at 1:25 PM

I'll hold you to this, esp. the business and gym parts!

09/04/2012 at 2:37 AM

My pleasure Steph! Seeing as we have a lot of the same goals I will definitely be interested in helping you as much as I can.

09/06/2012 at 2:09 PM

Hi Steph, We would love to hear how your first week went and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

• PaperChasin

09/10/2012 at 12:15 PM

Steph, where are you?! It's not too late to post an update!

32. Maisha

09/03/2012 at 2:45 PM

I accept the pledge!
    1. Let my current position serve as a springboard to start my own non-profit org
    2. Compete in 5 track meets across the US before this 52 week challenge is over
    3. Buy my vacation home either back in Cali or in Spain

09/04/2012 at 2:37 AM

Let's get it Maisha! I got your back and will be holding you accountable.

• 3Ls

09/08/2012 at 9:59 AM

Hey Maisha, I will def be here to hold you accountable. I'm intrigued about your non- profit and meets. Let's do it!
      3ls

• Maisha

09/12/2012 at 8:21 AM

Thank you 3Ls!

33. thatgirlviola

09/03/2012 at 3:26 PM

my goal is to allow myself to be truly vulnerable and to lead a brave life.

• Erica

09/03/2012 at 10:54 PM

Hi!

I like this a lot, it's not easy for a woman to do. I am here to support you. I cannot wait to see your progress each week.

-Erica

09/04/2012 at 2:38 AM

I love the simplicity and difficulty of your goal. I'm definitely here to support you.

• @DoWuSem

09/05/2012 at 5:00 AM

This just touched my heart. It takes courage to make such a bold statement ''to be truly vulnerable and to lead a brave life.'' You're half-way through there.

09/06/2012 at 2:09 PM

Hi thatgirlviola, We would love to hear how your first week went and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

34. Erica

09/03/2012 at 10:52 PM

I accept the pledge. My goal is to become more consistent in realizing my dreams. I pledge to consistently, on a daily basis, for the next 52 weeks, take steps to achieve my entrepreneurial goals. I ask you to make sure that in 52 weeks, 1 of my 5 ideas comes to fruition, and that I am an established business. I like to be a little bit more discreet until they are more concrete (sort of like an expectant mom before she hits certain trimesters). I will reveal as they become more real!

Thank you for this challenge! I am excited.

09/04/2012 at 2:39 AM

Thank you Erica! I will definitely have your back this entire challenge.

• T|P|Republic

09/04/2012 at 8:15 AM

I am here with you sis!

09/06/2012 at 2:10 PM

Hi Erica, We would love to hear how your first week went and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

35. T|P|Republic

09/04/2012 at 8:32 AM

I accept the pledge.

As a former athlete that was used to being on a regimented schedule I got away from working out daily. As an entrepreneur with many new ideas and concepts I have not been entirely focused on one idea to move forward with.

I pledge to stick to my daily routine listed below for the next 52 weeks while focusing my energy and time solely on TPRepublic. By the end of the 52 Weeks TPRepublic should be a registered business with a completed business plan. TPR should also have 5 investors to approach to sell the business plan to.

09/04/2012 at 11:13 AM

Great idea. I definitely will have your back on this.

09/06/2012 at 2:10 PM

Hi T | P| Republic, We would love to hear how your first week went and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

• Erica

09/08/2012 at 7:13 PM

I am here for you!! How was your first week?

36. T|P|Republic

09/04/2012 at 8:35 AM

I will also share this with my blog page http://www.TPRepublic.com as many TALLS are dream chasers.

09/04/2012 at 11:13 AM

Thanks for sharing!

37. Pingback: Start the week of right, Challenge yourself! « T|P|Republic

38. MissTierney

09/05/2012 at 9:48 AM

I accept the pledge.

My goal is to maintain a consistent workout regimen and to open my own boutique.

09/05/2012 at 2:03 PM

Great goals MissTierney!

Make sure you comment on our new post every week and let us know how it's going for you!

• Tiko

09/05/2012 at 3:25 PM

Hi MissTierney! I pledge to hold you accountable during this next year. :)

• MissTierney

09/05/2012 at 5:32 PM

Thanks Tiko!

09/06/2012 at 2:12 PM

Hi MissTierney, We would love to hear how your first week went and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

• Tiko

09/19/2012 at 10:52 PM

Hey MissTierney…how are your goals coming along? :)

39. Tiko

09/05/2012 at 3:23 PM

I accept the pledge!

My goal is to be a professional singer and spiritual life coach. By September 2013, I want to have resigned from my current 9-5, fully vested. I want to have started my life coaching and entertainment businesses and have enough clients/work to fully support myself financially.

09/05/2012 at 3:40 PM

Hi Tiko, I will definitely be helping you keep on track with these goals!

• Tiko

09/05/2012 at 5:08 PM

Thanks! :)

• MissTierney

09/05/2012 at 5:33 PM

Awesome goals, Tiko! I will hold you accountable. You got this!

• Tiko

09/05/2012 at 6:51 PM

Thanks! :)

09/06/2012 at 2:13 PM

Hi Tiko, We would love to hear how your first week went and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

• Tiko

09/07/2012 at 5:32 PM

It hasn't been a week yet, but I'll comment on Wednesday for sure! :)

40. Jared

09/06/2012 at 1:02 PM

I accept the pledge. I joined a network marketing company that helps save home owners and business owners on their energy bills. I want to be able to get a team of 6 people so I can coach them and teach them about the business. I keep hearing stupid comments like "it's a pyramid scheme" but I know this works because a lot of young people my age are making money in this company so I know it works. I also want to join a strict fitness program that will help me get fit fast. I want to join either a boot camp or a mma gym. I need someone to volunteer to hold me accountable. My facebook is Jared Cole.

09/06/2012 at 2:12 PM

Thanks for joining Jared!

We would love to hear how your first week goes and also see how we can help keep you focused and accountable.

Every Wednesday for the next year, we will be posting a new link such as this one here: http://www.thisisyourconscience.com/2012/09/the-5

In that new link you can keep us updated on how your progress is going.

41. 3Ls

09/08/2012 at 9:50 AM

Though I am late, I would like to accept this challenge. For my work, I know I will be effective if I understood the French language and could bring in a skill they need more of. So for the next 52 weeks (shall I say 51), I will learn both French and GIS.
    I would like to be an intermediate French speaker within 52 weeks and plan to be mid level in GIS software expert by this time next year.
    As a personal goal I have been wanting to begin a girls program and have made every excuse as to why it has not started. By this time next year, I would like to see my first group of girls getting ready to begin the program.
    And lastly. Within 52 I want to enter into a serious relationship.

09/10/2012 at 2:39 AM

Great goals, and making personal and professional ones is very smart too. Keep checking this site every Wednesday and there will be a new post up where we can help each other out by being accountable. Thanks for joining!

42. Elaine Simmons

09/12/2012 at 6:18 AM

I accept this pledge.

I want to be happy, lose more weight, tone up, and open my own successful nail salon. I would like to retire completley from practicing law.

• michael

09/24/2012 at 4:34 PM

I want to be free of my bad debts and make my properties work for me

43. Pingback: How To Fulfill Your Destiny & Pay Your Bills: A Complete Guide Part I « From Ashy to Classy

44. Beth

09/12/2012 at 8:48 PM

I pledge to study hard and be a better girl friend, but not just that, but to a better person overall.

45. Mellie

09/23/2012 at 9:18 AM

I accept this pledge, I have three goals for the next year, I want to lose a third of my body weight, I want to pay off a third of my debt and I want to start three businesses that will supplement at least a third of my income

46. Nina A.

10/17/2012 at 10:20 PM

I accept the pledge:
    I need to to be completely out of debt
    I need find my calling/career
    I need to attain a college degree/complete
    I need to save 5-10,00.00

• Dee

11/10/2012 at 4:20 PM

Hi Nina A. I see you are the latest accepter of this challenge to achievement and I'd love to help you keep moving forward to accomplishing all your goals. Your goals are very similar to things I have in mind myself, I think this will be a great experience.

• Nina A

11/10/2012 at 8:08 PM

Hello dee ,i was a bit worried when i didnt recieve a response.I definely more than ready for this challange/cause.Stagnation out the door hello progression!Lets get this started! shoot me an email:nakonnor@gmail.com .Thanks for want to take on this challange with me

47. Dee

11/10/2012 at 4:17 PM

I accept the challenge and here are my goals for the next 52 weeks: to achieve more defined muscle and loose 2 inches off my waste, to increase my stamina and flexibility (american split/ wheel pose), to start a magazine, to start a charity around providing school supplies for low income children, to model, to reach and maintain an 3.7 or higher average, to write and blog regularly, to volunteer as a Big Sister, to volunteer at Methodist Hospital, to save $10,000, to curtail my spending on luxuries that are not food or travel related, to set up a very profitable ebay shop, to do a dance performance or enter a competition..

48. Casmir

12/05/2012 at 6:13 PM

My goal is to reach enlightenment in this lifetime and ascend in consciousness specifically by bootstrapping intellectual and creative property and making pro-moves like hiring an entertainment lawyer and working with a mentor[both i've already aquired] my end goal is to tour in Africa and to be booked for paid gigs in 2013 I want myroommatethe.com/rapper to go viral!
    1. Make the Haters say:Where my Where my Where my Dope Chics @ ?https://soundcloud.com/casmir/dcm
    2.Run Successful Dope Chic City Kickstarter Campaign
    3. Release Dope Chic City Album App in 2013
    #DOPECHICCITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbtnnfCBrZQ

49. Reece

06/12/2013 at 8:03 PM

Hi there to every one, for the reason that I am in fact keen of reading this webpage’s post to be updated on a regular basis. It contains fastidious data.

50. Pingback: Week 1…(annnnd 2 & 3) | Last Laugh

51. Acne No Mas PDF

09/23/2013 at 6:44 PM

Acne at its worst could be considered as a major annoyance and
    prevalent disease. People from all walks of life seem to
    have their own encounters with pimples and acne.

This could be classified as the most widely used home acne
    treatment.

52. text the romance back free

10/11/2013 at 3:51 PM

Good day! Would you mind if I share your blog with my myspace group?
    There’s a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your
    content. Please let me know. Thanks

53. Does your ex girlfriend talk nicely about you when she.
    If you are unsure what child maintenance is, child
    maintenance is the United Kingdom’s version of American child support.
    FAA certification standards as well make ongoing training necessary; every twenty-four months, technicians are needed to
    have at least 16 hours of training at aviation maintenance technician schools to
    maintain certification.

54. Seduccion Peligrosa descarga

10/20/2013 at 2:56 AM

Wow, amazing blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
    you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is magnificent,
    as well as the content!

55. College baseball scholarship

10/25/2013 at 1:43 PM

Hi, i read your blog from time to time and i own a
    similar one and i was just wondering if you get a lot
    of spam feedback? If so how do you stop it, any plugin
    or anything you can suggest? I get so much lately it’s driving me crazy so any support
    is very much appreciated.

56. Ford Ranger

11/14/2013 at 11:47 PM

Doh! I was domain name searching at namecheap.com and went to type in the domain name:
    http://www.thisisyourconscience.com/2012/08/tiyc-presents-the-52-week-pledge-i-challenge-you-to-get-closer-to-your-dreams/ and guess who already acquired
    it? You did! lol j/k. I was about to shop for this domain
    name but noticed it was taken so I figured I’d come check it out.
    Wonderful blog!

57. Acne No More Book PDF

11/23/2013 at 7:19 PM

Others may not be so lucky where skin breakouts are concerned either.
    The main causative agent for almost all acne, and that includes adult acne is as a result of hormonal imbalances
    or blockages of pores on the skin. But keep in mind
    that adult acne isn’t that different from teenage acne and can be treated with
    the same types of products.

58. Zcode System Review

11/24/2013 at 11:45 PM

I’m curious to find out what blog system you’re utilizing?

I’m experiencing some small security problems with my latest
    website and I’d like to find something more risk-free. Do you have any recommendations?

59. Grow Taller 4 Idiots Download

11/24/2013 at 11:54 PM

You can do this either sitting or standing and make sure you do not bounce as that could
    cause injury. Philip Miller, a blossom researcher, acclimatized
    remedies able and a doctor by profession with a specialization in
    neurosurgery. This in turn promotes lean muscle mass and makes you grow taller without inducing any adverse action on user.

60. dodge Dart for sale

11/25/2013 at 8:29 PM

Have you ever considered about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is valuable and all. Nevertheless think of if you
    added some great graphics or videos to give your posts
    more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but
    with pics and clips, this site could certainly be
    one of the best in its niche. Wonderful blog!