Should High Schools Have Morning-After Pills? Unfortunately, YES

Yesterday I read an article on NBC New York’s website, which stated the following:

The New York City Department of Education is making the morning-after-pill available to high school girls at 13 public schools. The DOE says girls as young as 14 will be able to get the Plan B emergency contraception without parental consent. Parents have been notified about the CATCH pilot program and how their daughters can opt out of it. City Council Speaker Christine Quinn says she supports the program because high school students are sexually active and getting pregnant. The city says about 7,000 girls get pregnant by the time they reach the age of 17. NYC schools already distribute free condoms to students.

As much as I’m saddened to say this as a grown ass man with A LOT of little goddaughters running around the place, and who PROBABLY will have a daughter sometime in the [preferably FAR] future, I actually think this idea is very useful to preventing UNWANTED pregnancies. But if we’re gonna have a serious discussion about this topic we must retain the ability to be EXTREMELY honest about the state of our children’s sexual activities, or else this conversation will be completely pointless. The reality is that MANY high school students (as young as grade nine) are out here getting it in, and the teen pregnancy rates MORE than confirm that, so let’s not even embrace the anti-intellectual ideology that Plan B pills will INCREASE the level of sexual interaction, because that’s a BULLSH*T fallacy. Teens are horny and they want some nani/richard and giving them condoms WHILE in high school was one of the best things we could have done for them – so why not take it to the further extent and get plan B?

The reality of teen sex is that much of it is marked by irresponsibility, especially since its’s KIDS trying to get their grown-ass adult vibe on and have sex like big mature people, yet constantly make stupid, immature mistakes like believing the PULL-OUT method is a SUCCESSFUL way to prevent pregnancy.

But I’m willing to concede that this idea should NOT be done, IF it’s opposers can create a realistic game-plan on how we can SIGNIFICANTLY reduce TEEN SEX, because that’s the REAL crux of the issue. We can all sit here and debate whether young girls are mature enough to get morning-after pills or handle condoms, but when are we going to address the FACT that they want to crush a lot? So, should the morning after pill be made available to high school students? In a perfect world, NO, because they would be too busy studying and eating their Wheaties to worry about sex – but since we DON’T live in a perfect world, reducing teen pregnancy needs to be handled in a grown, forthright and brutally honest manner – so give them their pills [with an optional ass-whooping attached].

09/25/2012 at 3:44 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, Are You OK With Plan-B Being Available To Young Girls In High School?

• ChloeRayne516

09/25/2012 at 12:47 PM

Ya know??!!!!! I am not OK with this AT. ALL. and I will tell you why, yes I understand that kids will do what they wanna do not matter how much you preach/lecture and teach them but WHY give them an EZ Pass so to speak. It's bad enough that condoms are easier to get from the school nurse than an aspirin, but now they want to be offering girls the morning after pil?? First of all this comes with side effects some affecting more than others and I feel by offering this so called quick remedy will lean more towards kids willing to forego practicing safe s.ex.

09/25/2012 at 1:28 PM

I don't think it's the schools job to be concerned with the parenting, as much as preventing the outcome. I think the parents need to bust their ass to raise kids who can wait and abstain, but there are too many children deciding not to and having unprotected sex with each other. Thousands of teenage pregnancies are occurring every year and I think drastic times call for drastic and uncomfortable measures.

09/25/2012 at 5:32 AM

So what's next? Having abortion clinics inside of the schools? And I am being serious about that question.

Here's the main problem: the schools give out free condoms so one would think that that would stop the spread of STI's and pregnancy. Obviously, it's not since now we need to start giving kids the morning after pill. So not only are kids having sex, but now they are STILL having unprotected sex and using the morning after pill so they can run buck wild. There are no consequences for their actions and yes, some consequences need to be devastating for it to have a lasting effect.

I remember the face of AIDS and it wasn't a face that was buff and beautiful. It was a face of death staring back at you and it scared you senseless. IT WAS REALISTIC BC YOU COULD SEE IT. It was enough to cause society to take note of their sexual activities and promote safe sex. Now, bc of the work and advances in medicine, many people have forgotten about the horrors of AIDS and this new generation has never seen the face of AIDS the way my generation did. The fear is gone (which is a good and bad thing). And the kids today don't understand the dire consequences of having unprotected sex.

That's my entire problem with promoting the morning after pill to children by handing it out in school like candy. You are, in a way, promoting unprotected sex. Kids aren't wearing condoms so that they don't get AIDS or any other STDs bc the visual impact isn't there anymore. They are wearing them so that they don't get pregnant.

Screw the argument that giving condoms promotes kids having sex (which there is some truth there). By giving kids the morning after pill you are taking away the one visual that scares them enough so that they actually use condoms which is pregnancy.

• MistaHarsh

09/25/2012 at 11:10 AM

Pretty much. But I will say this…I feel that teens would be more willing to use the pill over the use of condoms. Which says a lot about what it is these organizations are battling. Its more than just STIs and teen pregnancy its immaturity mixed with kids in heat.

09/25/2012 at 11:18 AM

Agreed and that is a huge problem. Condoms aren't just for protecting against pregnancy, it's for protecting against AIDS, herpes, chlamydia, etc. This is a ridiculous initiative.

• Smilez_920

09/25/2012 at 11:55 AM

If they give out the pill they need to have on site STD and HIV testing to scare these children. Nothing like waiting 5 days for the results . They also should have their parents informed everytime the child receives a pill. They should also be recommended to a planned parenthood site for BC.

I feel another std epidemic going on I no std prevention and test centers placed in schools along with the pill.

09/25/2012 at 1:34 PM

The parents can be informed. The CATCH program allows parents to opt their child out of being able to receive the morning after pill without their notification.

09/25/2012 at 1:36 PM

I don't think its ridiculous at all. This is a MAJOR problem. In NYC alone there are 7000 cases of teenage pregnancy, HALF of which end up as abortions. This is not an easy situation to deal with, but sitting back, doing nothing and saying these kids need to abstain is the most ridiculous and dangerous thing we can do.

• ChloeRayne516

09/25/2012 at 12:49 PM

"I feel that teens would be more willing to use the pill over the use of condoms."

Agreed!!!!!!

09/25/2012 at 1:32 PM

I think it's the school boards job to get results and if they can get teen pregnancy down then that's a good thing. Notice, the CATCH program allows parents to have their children opt-out of the plan so it's not like ANY child can get it.

09/25/2012 at 2:39 PM

The school boards job is to teach and make sure the curriculum is sound. It is their job to provide the thinkers of tomorrow. It is not their job to monitor the sexual activities of their student body. That is up to the parents.

No wonder there are so many deadbeat parents around. They can rely on everyone else to do their job for them.

09/25/2012 at 5:03 PM

If you want the school to stay out of the children's lives I pose the question to you once again: What's the better solution to this problem?

09/25/2012 at 5:24 PM

Read the articles i posted below where there is a link b/w the morning after pill and rise in STIs. This isn't the solution.

09/25/2012 at 1:31 PM

No you got the main problem incorrect: It's the fact that teenagers are not only having a lot of sex, they are having unprotected sex.

THAT'S the problem.

Condoms weren't being given out in schools because teachers and faculty members thought it would be a fun idea, it was based out of NECESSITY based on the children's actions. The idea that this is promoting sex is ridiculous because teenage sex has NEVER needed promotion.

09/25/2012 at 2:27 PM

That's exactly what I said. So now instead of combating that problem we want to add Plan B into the mix? Next it will be, students won't take plan B so let's start offering abortion services.

09/25/2012 at 2:49 PM

I said this is promoting UNSAFE sex. Condoms promote safe sex. The Plan B pill promotes UNSAFE sex.

Nothing ridiculous about that statement.

09/25/2012 at 5:04 PM

Because the feel of raw nani/richard promotes UNSAFE sex, not the restriction of condoms or the propagation of the pill.

Kids aren't having raw sex because they WANT to use the pill, they do it because it just FEELS better.

09/25/2012 at 6:03 PM

The pill promotes unsafe sex since the reason why kids use condoms is to not get pregnant. Come on now dude. Now you are grasping for straws to prove my point invalid.

No one said anything about kids wanting the pill. Kids use condoms so that the girl doesn't get pregnant. Plan B makes sure of that (within a certain time frame).

3. Smilez_920

09/25/2012 at 7:48 AM

No. All that's going to do is have teenage boys 1) give girls more reasons not to use condoms 2) collect morning after pills and crush them in his gf chocolate milk out the cafateria .

Some of girls aren't pregnant because they don't know about the morning after pill and can't get contraceptives . They are pregnant because they want to be, they think its cute , they think it makes them grown, they see their friends doing it, they think baby = adult, their thinking about all the cute clothes the baby will have, they want a piece a some knuckle head boy who doesn't want them or isn't ready for a baby, they want love, they want a title or purpose, they have nothing else going on in their life that's not worth losing.

We don't need to waste tax payers money on this. Get more after school activities , college prep courses in hs, and others resources and this wouldn't be the main concern. I'm sure there's some correlation between high school girls who are pregnant and income/socioeconomic circumstances.

( not saying every girl situation is this way)

09/25/2012 at 1:38 PM

You can't bring tax payers dollars into this discussion, because NOTHING these teens can do will WASTE money more than having a baby they can't care for and have to rely on all sorts of funding to get through.

• Smilez_920

09/25/2012 at 3:06 PM

NYC school budget is tight. So if the choice is between this and something the school needs to help educate kids then yes it seems like a waste.

I understand why the state is behind it. And yes I know it's cheaper than taking care of a young mother and her child. But it is very sad that we've gotten to this point.

09/25/2012 at 5:05 PM

I agree it's sad, but we need to be in solution mode.

4. kinsey

09/25/2012 at 8:41 AM

Our country is full of idiots…. Sex education to these young kids needs to stArt at home as a dinner table conversation. oooo don't you dare turn your nose up at that idea. sex and the idea of sex is ALL around us; in the tv that we watch, music we hear, and even in the streets and billboard signs. if the parent doesn't openly communicate about sex with their child they will learn from the world and that is bad. I think sex education also needs to go back to being in these schools.

When you keep an open communication with your kids it not only builds an indestructible bond it creates knowledge ad understanding for your kids and they are better at making decisions bc they were taught to communicate and think about their actions before they even do it.

Parents should make sure their kids understand what sex is all about, and the serious life changing consequences that can come with having unprotected sex. teach your kids the importance of condoms and other contraceptives.

I so have to agree that giving HS girls the morning after pill is taking away one of those fears of pregnancy and giving them more incentives to have unsafe sex. what happens when a girl takes morning after pills everyday? is there side effects from this pill that can damage the woman or what if she contracts a disease. morning after pill won't kill that. I believe that it is very irresponsible for our young kids to acting to foolish, but I find it even more irresponsible and embarrassing that these parents were brave enough to lay down and get pregnant strong enough to have and support them but lazy cowardly and weak to teach them. our kids are supposed to be better and wiser than us, don't make their generation falter bc your generation is screwed up.

• Smilez_920

09/25/2012 at 9:07 AM

I agree . But the parents are just as stupid as the kids now-a-days. There are a lot of grown ppl out here not using anything , acting irresponsible and making it look cool and acceptable . I can see why the school feels they want to take some action , but not passing out morning after pills.

09/25/2012 at 1:47 PM

SO what's the better answer?

• Smilez_920

09/25/2012 at 2:44 PM

I'm saying its not the full answer. Some of these girls will 72 hour deadline then what. What happens if they catch something Rey can't get rid of ? What happens I there gone for the pill so many times they can't take it anymore?

They have to do more than just give out a pill to really make kids more sexually responsible.

09/25/2012 at 5:06 PM

That's all well and fine, but what's the answer TODAY. This is not an issue that can be contemplated and argued for months before action is taken, because teens are getting pregnant every single day in North America. What's the practical application to stop or significantly slow that down tomorrow?

• Smilez_920

09/25/2012 at 5:53 PM

It's more than about today it's about these kids futures. Plan b an only say u but soapy times. I'm not saying font give it out. But let these kids know that this is a last option with side effects. Don't pass it out like candy. These kids are having unprotected sex they could have more than a baby and the factor can't be ignored especially now that the kids know plan b is available.

5. cynicaloptmst81

09/25/2012 at 9:43 AM

As a mother, you need to call me first. Thats not something the parent(s) should NOT be involved in. *deep sigh*

I'm glad I have two sons, lol. But, kids have no fear anymore. I was AFRAID to get pregnant. Honestly, it didn't keep me pure (infrequent and while in relas), but it kept me very serious about prevention. My mother told me what the consequences of that action would be, and I believed her crazy self, LOL!

Parents need to remember to put some fear in these kids…too busy being "friends", smh.

09/25/2012 at 1:43 PM

Well in the CATCH program that they are initiating, all the parents are being notified and can opt their children out of the plan.

09/25/2012 at 6:01 PM

So this topic has really blown me away so I have read up on the program.

The parents are notified by mail that they can opt out of Plan B. How many times have you accidentally thrown out important mail b/c you thought that something was simply junk?

Every parent at that school should get a phone call from an automated system and an email explaining what's going on including snail mail.

6. Ange

09/25/2012 at 10:57 AM

This is a tough one. I believe that the problems lies some with parenting and lack of information from sources they trust. Now granted some folks will have all of the education you can give and just decide to go do what they want to do. Most don't understand the concept of being pregnant at a young age and struggling nor have they looked into the face of a dying AIDS patient, talked with a woman who is infertile because her gonorrhea went undetected for years. Forget that talking, when I have children I want them to volunteer and see what it is like from their own eyes. You can talk until you are blue in the face, but to witness things first hand is different. As a nurse practitioner who constantly sees poor girls come in with multiple children, teens with reccurrent STIs, etc. I think that they should be able to have access to the morning after pill. Again, I totally agree that sex education is needed and not just to hand out methods of birth control but that doesn't treat the underlying problem. The youth need some one investing in them, helping them understand their self worth and develop self-esteem. We need more mentors.

• NurseJilly

09/25/2012 at 11:45 AM

Couldn't agree more Ange!!

Seeing someone dying of AIDS is a sight you won't soon forget. Maybe thats just the scare these kids need.

09/25/2012 at 1:42 PM

This is the best comment I've read so far. We need to take reality more into account of our analysis of this situation.

09/25/2012 at 2:30 PM

They do have access to the pill at the pharmacy. We are acting as if they don't have access now. The only difference is that they have to pay for it at the pharmacy instead of the school handing it out like a bowl of condoms.

The way that our society approaches sex has gone completely overboard.

09/25/2012 at 12:03 PM

this is like teaching your son how to do a bid before he even becomes a criminal. Its a sad state of affairs when organizations that are supposed to take preventative measures are realigning to take the "we'll be here when you mess up" approach.

Is there an age restriction for Plan B? and if not what difference does it make that the school makes it accessible when its already available to be purchased at a drug store? If there is an age limit they need the parents consent and I'm assuming taking this at a young age can lead to medical issues if used inappropriately.

These people are missing the point: kids are irresponsible by nature and haven't learned about accountability yet, having Plan b available is going to enable them more than giving them a sense of responsibility.
    It would be interesting to know which schools they will target and whether the money/time/attention spent on this initiative would be better spent on getting updated text books and better school facilities in those same schools.

• Smilez_920

09/25/2012 at 12:35 PM

They'll probably traget schools in lower income neighborhoods. ( not saying middle income/ rich kids don't get pregnant) I guess it's cheaper for the state to waste money on plan b( instead of updating textbooks , new computers etc..) than them having to give these young mothers who will have little to no income government assistance ( WIC checks for food and formula).

09/25/2012 at 1:41 PM

I don't think it's a waste at all, I think it's an unfortunate but realistic expenditure.

09/25/2012 at 1:40 PM

To be honest, until a better idea is proposed to prevent unprotected teen sex, I am all for this idea. I've listened to everyone here knock it, but no one has created a tangible and realistic way to prevent unprotected teen sex, and condoms have NOT worked the way we all thought they would.

09/25/2012 at 2:34 PM

Then what's your suggestion besides being reactive and saying "kids are gonna have sex so let's just let them do it and we will make sure to provide plan B, condoms, birth control pills, etc."

09/25/2012 at 5:09 PM

I believe sex education begins in the home and carries into school. Beyond that kids will have sex if they WANT to, so all you can hope is that they have been educated enough.

When I look back at myself in high school, there was a person, pamphlet or parent that could have prevented me from having sex with my first love, so we can't put ALL the onus on society and DEFINITELY not abstinence.

• MistaHarsh

09/25/2012 at 3:46 PM

But Plan B is exactly that – plan b. The schools should be looking for a plan a – preventative measures. If their intent is to curtail unprotected sex they are missing the whole point.

Here's the thing…there's adults who would rather have unprotected sex so I don't see how making plan b accessible is going to solve this issue. This is about choices, responsibility and accountability.

Here's a solution: There's many orphans and unwanted children in the US(since parents are willing opt up their kids for this plan b experiment I don't people refusing to give up their kid to a teen) have a program that links these teens with a child and have them care for them while maintaining their grades and sacrificing their social lives. Then they'll understand accountability and consequences…..or…. they'll simply pop a pill put on their $300 BEATS by Dre headphones….*bands will make her dance……*

09/25/2012 at 5:11 PM

It's funny because that solution was proposed seriously many years ago by someone everyone thought was crazy, and that ended up creating the live baby-doll experiment some schools used…unfortunately that didn't really work out either.

8. KemaVA

09/25/2012 at 12:53 PM

As a former NYC HS student that got pregnant at 17 I agree with the schools doing this.

I have sons so while I dont think about birth control much I do think about stds. I make sure they do too.

09/25/2012 at 1:38 PM

"They have an opt out option so parents that are strongly against this have an out. Parents that dont take the time to opt out probably dont really think that much about their child's sexuality anyway."

Exactly my point.

09/25/2012 at 2:36 PM

But Kema, and real question here, did you wear a condom at all while you were having sex as a teenage? If so, don't you think that access to plan B would have helped you to be even more unsafe? Like why wear a condom at all when you can just go and get a plan B pill in the morning?

9. Smilez_920

09/25/2012 at 3:02 PM

Linc, lets be honest while this will stop some teen pregnancy , it's not doing the full job of teaching our children about sexual responsibility. Yes it's a parents job but clearly parents are dropping the ball. If the schools can actually afford this without it taking away from another important area from the school budget then do it.

But pregnancy isn't the only issue. What about std's you can't abort HIV. If we're going to pass out these pills we need to have STD testing on site at these high schools because these kids won't be using plan B as a back up option, they'll be using it as a first choice. I mean there's only so many times you can take the pill . What about if you get pregnant over winter vacation , but because you knew the pill was at school you just said " f condoms ".

I don't care if they give it out because I know the state is behind it because it will save then more money in the long run then having to support these teen moms. But I'm telling you some of these girls are having these babies because of other reasons than just lack of controspetives. How do we handle those girls. This also takes the focus off of the males responsibilty when it comes to sex. I can see so many high school boys going raw dog because they know they have the pill as a backup . ( not to say condoms don't break).

Im just not excited that we've had to come to this point.

09/25/2012 at 5:14 PM

The thing is, I like this option being out there as a last option, but I've also always advocated sex ed. The point is, we will NEVER stop teen sex because it's just GOING to happen amongst these kids with raging hormones, so the most we can do is educate them and then be there for them after they make their decision.

• Smilez_920

09/25/2012 at 5:39 PM

I'm not tryig to stop sex Ed I'm trying to expand it pass just throwing contraceptives in these kids faces and hoping they make good choices.

I would even suggest them having birth control pills or being able to recommended these girls to doctors who can give them the pills ( free clinic planned parent hood )

But some of these kids are just wild they have no sense of consequence. To me if you get a plan b pill from school , it should be mandatory that you get tested for HiV/AIDs and herpes. For every two pregnant teens there's probably one with an ate they don't know about because they were just worried about not getting pregnant.

• Smilez_920

09/25/2012 at 5:45 PM

I'm 22 so I remember clearly how horny teenagers are . I'm trying to get horny teenagers to use their head before they ruin their lives. As a woman we also get the black of the responsibilty when it comes to sex.

I'll say it like this , I'll let my children know about all the controspetives . I'll let my daughter know that nothing is guarantee d. I'll tell her that her health comes first and the plan b and abortion is a last resort when your other options have failed or when you are have been irresponsible.

10. GrandCentral

09/25/2012 at 3:08 PM

Give teenage girls access to everything. I want to live in a country where teenage pregnancy doesn't exist. Teens are having sex and people need to get over it , move on and keep them safe. I commend Speaker Quinn and NYC Public Schools on this decision.

• Smilez_920

09/25/2012 at 3:24 PM

Most of us want our daughters to have access to everything possible, to keep them safe. But it's more than just having it available, it's about gettin in the kids head and telling them that plan b is exactly what it is "a plan b". Try plan a first birth control , condoms , go to plan parenthood and get what you need and if all else fails then look at plan b as an option.

If the school board feels its necasary then, I just hope they take all the proper precautions to hand it out.

I'm pro choice , I have no problem with plan b, but I also don't see it as regular birth control.

09/25/2012 at 5:15 PM

Just like any aspect of social responsibility, I think teaching teens needs to be a joint effort between the schools and the parents.

• GrandCentral

09/26/2012 at 3:46 PM

I think we underestimate our teens if we think that they will not fully understand that "Plan B" is just that Plan B, or that they will see the pill as regular form of birth control. I now they are knuckle heads and have shown us proof that they are doing something wrong — judging the teen pregnancy rate. However, I believe they are a bit more conscious then we think they are. I am confident that they understand both of your points.

You are absolutely right in your earlier comments about the responsibility of parents, but let's face it — I can confidently say that there is probably a higher percentage of these teenage pregnancies belonging to teens of parent who have issues that prevent them from fully understanding the depth of responsibility they should take in this matter. These are the students that the school board is trying to help. Sometimes it's just circumstances and not malicious.

I want to see us to get to a point where we just give teenagers all options available, especially the young women and stop worrying or playing the guessing game about what each option will do, or keep them from doing. Teens are having sex and lots of it!

09/26/2012 at 4:37 PM

The option is available to them. We act as if they don't have the option. They can simply go to the pharmacy. Why in the world is the school providing this to students and notifying parents through snail mail instead of calling the parents?

I am more concerned at the rates in which kids are attracting STDs than them getting pregnant. And this pill will do nothing but promote unsafe sex.
          "Data shows that sexually transmitted diseases are already running rampant among the nation’s adolescent community. A federal government survey conducted in 2008 found that a quarter of teenage girls were infected with at least one of four commonly occurring sexually transmitted diseases. For African-American girls ages 14 to 19, it was closer to half. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, 55,000 of the more than 1.1 million Americans infected with HIV are between the ages of 13 and 24. And of the 1,268 U.S. teens diagnosed with HIV in 2005, more than 10 percent lived in New York City."

09/25/2012 at 5:14 PM

Co-sign

09/25/2012 at 4:31 PM

Don't you think this is a slippery slope? The same rationale can be used for lowering the age limit of legally purchasing alcohol we already know kids are getting wasted at an early age. So lets have it available in the cafe next to the cartoon of milk. That way the drinking is under our supervision.

also plan b has side effects and disrupts your cycle I wonder if these teens will be aware/care about that.

09/25/2012 at 5:16 PM

I don't liken this to lowering the drinking age, I would liken it to extending free-alcohol cabs to people UNDER the legal drinking age so they can get home safe, even though they WEREN'T suppose to be drinking.

• GrandCentral

09/26/2012 at 4:16 PM

Teen Age drinking doesn't have the long life altering effect that teenage pregnancy does. I can't agree with your analogy.

Last I checked Plan B doesn't have any side effects that differ from regular forms of birth control pills. i'll need to look into this.

09/25/2012 at 5:22 PM

"And while I’m not completely convinced New York’s CATCH program is an accident waiting to happen, the fact is, once a student comes asking the school nurse for the morning-after pill, these efforts have already failed."
    Professor Paton commented, "Our study illustrates how government interventions can sometimes lead to unfortunate unintended consequences. The fact that STI diagnoses increased in areas with EBC schemes will raise questions over whether these schemes represent the best use of public money."

09/25/2012 at 5:36 PM

14. Lilly

09/26/2012 at 9:28 AM

My only problem with this is WHY AREN'T THEY GIVING AWAY THE PILL? Wouldn't THAT be a BETTER STEP FIRST!!!

15. rizan

10/10/2012 at 4:21 AM

If the kids want plan B so much or they need it, they should walk to the pharmacy to get it. This is doing NOTHING but promoting unprotected sex to it's fullest form. I can only IMAGINE how the STD rates will go sky high. Atomoxetine

16. Paapalpiq

04/09/2013 at 11:50 PM

generic avodart online – http://bruceelg94.tumblr.com/#88338; generic form for avodart avodart uses

17. Jack Chatham

05/29/2013 at 1:17 AM

Are these the same people complaining about welfare mothers? hello? I lost my virginity in 9th grade in 1974 in a CATHOLIC SCHOOL. And trust me nothing has or is gonna change, Do whatever it takes to prevent teen pregnancy and leave your sanctimony at the door when the bell rings.