The 52 Week Pledge: YOUR Journey Is YOUR Responsibility [Week Three]

Last Thursday, a day after I posted the last challenge post, one of my friends asked me “how can you verify if the people who took this pledge are being HONEST about their goals?” and I really think my answer truly surprised him. I replied “I don’t care if anyone is telling the truth or not.” Now writing that let’s me see how he could think I was trying to be callous, but I wasn’t trying to be rude at all – just factual. There is literally NO WAY for me to verify if any of you are making the progress that you say you do, but it won’t change my perception of how I will respond to you, because if you really AREN’T being honest, the only person you’re hurting is yourself.

Here is the ORIGINAL PLEDGE POSThttp://www.thisisyourconscience.com/2012/08/tiyc-presents-the-52-week-pledge-i-challenge-you-to-get-closer-to-your-dreams/

The truth is, your success at achieving your dream is really no one else’s main concern except YOURS. Your friends, family and all your loved ones would LIKE to see you happily achieve your goals, but as long as you are in good mental and physical health, they probably won’t have the same PASSION as YOU do to see you succeed. And that’s why I see the benefit in this challenge because it’s a group of people all selfishly and selflessly chasing our dreams, while supporting one another. We love reporting our achievements, hearing positive feedback and also giving good feedback where we can – but many of us DREAD having to report that we didn’t get what we wanted done, or we made little to no progress towards fulfilling our dreams – and it’s time to lose that attitude.

The one thing I want us all to be able to express this week, alongside our achievements, are any MISSED OPPORTUNITIES we had in the past few weeks. Not because we want to wallow in self-pity, but because we ALL go through it, and I think there are some 52-Week Pledgers who have encountered similar struggles and may have great tips on how to help us move forward. Some of you may not have hit the gym this week because things got busy, so feel free to share that, because we are all here to help. Some of you may not have worked on your entrepreneurial goals because your personal lives got hectic, so feel free to share that so someone can lend a helping hand.

As much as I LOVE cataloging my success with you all, I also want this to be a community where we can be open, honest and non-judgemental. But speaking of success, one of our pledgers, Jess, had the goal of singing publicly and wanted to start with making a Youtube video and seeing how it went. She was NERVOUS as HELL and considered not even posting it, but powered through and released THIS:

And I’m NOT trying to boost just because she’s really cool, a supporter of this site and pledging along with us, but I think she did an AMAZING job.

I wish y’all knew how much this group has inspired me in my own life.

09/19/2012 at 3:32 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, What GOALS Did You Achieve In The Past 7 Days?

Also, did you have any missed opportunities this week? What was it and what caused you from completing that task?

09/19/2012 at 3:36 AM

To start, this week I completed the writing of my first Ebook, The Myth Of The Multiple Orgasm, which you probably see plastered all over the site (lol) and I also recording my first LIVE radio program, Let Me Tell You Why You're Wrong [the prelude to my book] even though I was NERVOUS as all hell!

This week I'm going to promote this book as best I can, improve on my radio show and podcast, and find more time to go to the gym.

My missed opportunity was not attending a social networking party on the weekend because I was simply too lazy to get up, get a hair cut and go. Basically I called in "sick" one day in chasing my dreams. Sometimes I need a kick in the ass to get everything I need done, done.

• Jesssssssss

09/19/2012 at 12:57 PM

I love the show! Got to chat for about 15 minutes. I had fun.

I bought the book. I like it alot so far.

Linc, you have a gift. Major kudos… *slow clap, swipes tear*

09/19/2012 at 1:40 PM

Thanks Jess!

• GrandCentral

09/19/2012 at 5:43 PM

The show was really good and you drop the nervous act with the quickness. I started the book briefly this morning. I am an avid reader so I like to fly through books in a few back to back sessions. I'll save this for the weekend.

A haircut Lincoln? Come on! I'm pretty sure there are plenty of opportunities to network in Toronto. No more calling in sick, you have a book to promote. Are you putting this book on Amazon or iBooks? I don't know how that works, but you should check it out if you haven't already.

A 24 Hour gym is a lifesaver!

09/20/2012 at 1:32 AM

Yeah I'm actually writing a press release right now and trying to encourage folks to give the book a good rating and review once it debuts on Amazon *wink wink*

• funms

09/20/2012 at 10:52 AM

congrats on the completion of your E-book. can't wait to read

09/20/2012 at 12:30 PM

Thanks funms, I hope you like it!

3. Maisha

09/19/2012 at 6:53 AM

It's funny that today's major theme was missed opportunities. Last week I said that I would read 5 of the essay's that I found regarding re-entry into the workforce and I only read one. I was dreading having to post that, but hey…sometimes life get's in the way. With that being said, the day is just getting started so I may be able to redeem myself.

Lincoln, congrats on the completion of your book! I look forward to reading it.

Jess, you did a fantastic job! I'm surprised that you haven't sung publicly before!

09/19/2012 at 1:43 PM

Thanks Maisha! And you are definitely correct, sometimes we miss opportunities and it's all good as long as it drives us to work harder.

• GrandCentral

09/19/2012 at 5:50 PM

Don't beat yourself up too much. You read one essay and not zero. Something is always better than nothing.

4. Lina

09/19/2012 at 9:41 AM

Ha, I've been meaning to join this pledge since its inception, so you can see what I'm struggling with – procrastination.

I really need to leave the job I'm in. A couple of weeks ago, I had a huge panic attack about my job situation which made me realize that I've waited too long to not make a change. I've been applying to some jobs that I'm not passionate about. I have job openings that make my eyes light up bookmarked, but I've been too lazy and afraid of failure to pursue them. I'm hoping to complete at least one cover letter tonight after work.

• GrandCentral

09/19/2012 at 10:21 AM

I know exactly how you feel Lina. I've been in the same shoes and had to fight my way out. I am going to recommend a book for you to read that I recommend to a few people here – Get Yours! How to Have Everything You Ever Dreamed of and More BY Amy DuBois Barnett. I was stuck and depressed in 2008 in a job that was literally killing me. I read this book and it changed my life.

Cover letters can be trickery, but also your greatest asset. Many people see it as a burden, but I LOVE cover letters. You can really sell yourself in a cover letter. For cover letter Virginia Tech has a really great career center and they make available a lot of the resources to the public. (http://www.career.vt.edu/jobsearchguide/coverlettersamples.html) For your job search, start on LinkedIn. Setup your profile and connect with people and be sure to list your professional background. A lot of recruiters use the site to find talent.

• Jesssssssss

09/19/2012 at 11:55 AM

GrandCentral you are such a wealth of knowledge and resource! Thanks. I'm using this info too.

• GrandCentral

09/19/2012 at 4:06 PM

You're welcome! I'm glad I can be of some assistance.

I have a gift for the career/interview/job search process. I am awesome at job interviews. I haven't been on one in a while, so I may be a little dusty. However I can still give good tips to help someone navigate the process.

09/19/2012 at 1:46 PM

Hey Lina, I think your procrastination to work towards leaving your job is something many of us have dealt with, and my only advice is to never forget that feeling of that panic attack. That was your mind, body and soul rejecting your current position.

• Lina

09/19/2012 at 9:26 PM

Thanks guys. I'm really using this as the push I need to be proactive.

5. GrandCentral

09/19/2012 at 10:04 AM

Well, Thursday morning I was walking to the subway my usual route that passes by our prime space (that I've claimed as ours in my head) and as I turned the corner I spot a long black truck on the space — It was a Rocawear pop up store. My heart sank to my stomach and I damn near passed out. I literally stopped and was like OMG no! LOL! I immediately text my friend and told her our dream has died – Jay-Z beat us to the punch. I think I incoherently told her that Jay stole our idea. LOL. I missed my usual train, was late to work and everything. I could have cried. I even sent emails to groups of friends with the subject – Dream Crushed! Yes, I am dramatic for the things that mean a lot to me. Thankfully, by the end of the evening I turned it all around at a happy hour networking event, by talking to someone who successfully launched her own company and gave me tips on how to navigate the issues regarding the land. I started the program I told you guys about last week and it went very well. Operation start my own company is well on its way, so I think I can take a little of the focus from this and try to concentrate on the other things I committed to achieving.

This week I want to focus on my writing on my blog (www.theurbanpolitico.com – yes shameless plug, check us out) and my novel. Lincoln has really inspired me to get my act together on both. I’ve had a novel sitting in my head for 7 years called “Who Do I Have To Do?” I’ve made three attempts to get it written with a group of friends and those attempts fell to the waste side. However, one of my close friends whom I can depend on and has part of this novel in her head as well, committed a few months ago to co-writing with me. We were supposed to start writing weekly, but I got hung up on buying novel writing software compatible to my Mac and her PC. Then I told myself I needed to buy a new laptop because my current laptop is too big to carry around to write on the weekends. I know – STUPID! So this week, I am going to drag her out to my apt, so we can strategize and get the ball rolling on this novel. It’s too good to not get out there. This week I commit to continuing to prepare to start my company and begin co-writing my novel with my friend.

6. GrandCentral

09/19/2012 at 10:07 AM

Oh yeah!!! Big ups to Jessica. I love Stevie Wonder and I LOVE that song. Many attempt to sing that song and butcher it. You did a good job! You sounded great and you didn't try to overdue it. That's major that you were brave enough to record it to youtube and let Lincoln post it here. I'm a chicken shit and won't even sing Karaoke drunk, so I commend you for stepping out of your comfort zone. It's small challenges like this that prepare us for the bigger things in life.

• Jesssssssss

09/19/2012 at 12:01 PM

Thanks GC. My heart was in my throat the entire time. That is why I kept smiling like a bafoon. But I appreciate all of the encouragement.

09/19/2012 at 1:52 PM

Great job!

• Jesssssssss

09/19/2012 at 6:22 PM

GC:

If we ever get the pleasure of meeting… we must do Karoake.

Challenge accepted?

7. Charlene Grant

09/19/2012 at 10:10 AM

hey Lincoln!

Sorry I did not post last week I got a little sick and then was swamped with extracurriculars! But that said, no more excuses! I wrote and revised two poems this week… hopefully I can complete two more. :)

Small steps, I know but I am getting SOMEWHERE.

09/19/2012 at 1:53 PM

Don't apologize to me Charlene, I'm really glad you are still committed to chasing your dream.

Small but IMPORTANT steps.

8. Jesssssssss

09/19/2012 at 12:53 PM

Hello All! This week has been great and horrible all at the same time but I'm not giving up.

I've been writing like crazy and getting wonderful feedback on my blog jestingandthings.com. (shameless plug I learned from GrandCentral…lol!)

I faced a GIANT fear by taping a YouTube video and allowing Linc to post it. Fear means I'm doing somthing right. Right? Just for clarity's sake I do sing in church weekly. But this was my first time singing a non-gospel song that is closer to the sound that I want to possess when I actually do "make my music". So, it was like my first time singing in public (just in a different way).

No exercise has happened this week. Does anyone have an info on an exercise guide for the "lazy bum"? I'm serious. I've been dealing with sleeplessness and extreme fatigue (duh). So I need help.

Brandon's funeral is this Friday. Please send a prayer up for me. BURYING A FRIEND IS SOMETHING I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD HAVE TO DO.

The tears still flow daily.

09/19/2012 at 1:54 PM

I hope it gets easier for you to cope and we will all be praying for you.

• GrandCentral

09/19/2012 at 4:54 PM

Exercise will help you tremendously where everything you are dealing with. I know it's hard but if you get yourself into a light routine, the feeling you have afterwards will help push you to expanding your routine. I started using this app this week called GymPact. I actually got it from a website that was recommended to me last week by Maisha. Basically, you commit to a working out a certain amount of days a week and you commit to paying a certain $$ amount per a missed workout. So for myself, I am in a frenzy to loose that last of my weight, so I am committed to working out 6 days a week. If I miss a workout, I will pay $10 per a workout. You check in via your mobile phone. I believe it works on the iPhone and Android. You have to workout at least 30 mins. So far I've worked out three days straight. Check it out.

It's hard losing a close friend. I've never lost a close friend so I don't know how you feel, but I can imagine that as time goes on, it will get better. Try to make positive of the memories or special dates throughout the year that you shared with Brandon. I'll be sure to light a candle for you on Sunday at mass and you have plenty of people praying for you here.

• Jesssssssss

09/19/2012 at 6:14 PM

Thanks for all of your words of encouragment. I'm checking out that app right now.

• petersburgh

09/19/2012 at 5:48 PM

I haven't lost a close friend but I have lost my mom 2 years ago on Valentine's Day. I won't say it will get easier but it will become a part of you with time. I do what I love to help and I will be posting a poem I wrote some months before she died in Let's Talk Mondays on my blog <a href="http://www.petersburgh.wordpress.com” target=”_blank”>www.petersburgh.wordpress.com (not a shameless in) as September 24th which would have been her 69 birthday. You have our support Jess

• Jesssssssss

09/19/2012 at 6:21 PM

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I lost my mom but it was when I was a child. What I wrote about my mother's death. http://jeheartbreak.blogspot.com/2012/06/silly-ra… (my old format)

Losing Brandon was so abrupt. He was young and its fresh. I know that there will be better days ahead. I have been shown so much love from friends near and far that honored the bond he and I had. And my new E-fam has been amazing as well.

Thank you guys so much!

09/20/2012 at 1:33 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss fam.

• funms

09/20/2012 at 11:01 AM

So sorry about your loss. *e-hugs*

09/19/2012 at 1:52 PM

Great plans! I won't talk about your writing procrastination but I will warn you of this (which you probably already know): Once that writing spark dulls on a specific point you're trying to make, it may be lost forever. If you write anything like me, you think of a point, and then a bunch of correlative points pop up and an entire theme is created.

But, I've lost many a good idea by not writing it down the second it pops in my head, so now I've trained myself to write anywhere. I damn near wrote half of my book on my Blackberry just to get it out of my head.

10. Lia

09/19/2012 at 3:05 PM

So this past week I began keeping a spending journal, didn't really feel like it took too much effort and I kinda felt like I should have done something more. But everything seem so real when I looked at my receipts and realized that I spend a little under $40 last week at Starbucks, and the same amount on lunch. When I think about it, that's pretty normal for me. If last week's list was any indication of what the rest of the month's will be like, I can already tell that my money is not always spent wisely.

But on the upside, I made friends with a cashier at one of the local pharmacies and actually ended up saving money. She was able to share some of the secrets to shopping there and getting the most for my money. I just started couponing a few months ago, so the information could not have come at a better time. Managed to get about $30 worth of cleaning products and feminine hygiene products for free thanks to her. Now I know where I'll be shopping from now until the move…

For this next week, I will continue to keep my spending journal. However, I'm gonna make my lunch at home two days. I would say five, but I know myself enough to know that I have to take baby steps…

• Lia

09/19/2012 at 3:12 PM

Part of my goal to move is in saving and making money. I fell off for a day when I let a friend's crisis engulf me to the point of distraction. I missed out on an opportunity to make a little side change due to this. It just lets me know that I need to remove distractions from the picture…

• GrandCentral

09/19/2012 at 4:56 PM

That's great! Did you check out mint.com yet?

• Lia

09/19/2012 at 6:43 PM

I sure did! It is exactly what I need, something that analyzes my finances for me LOL. I was a little iffy about signing up at first, didn't know if my accounts would be safe. But I read reviews and a lot of people seem to love the site so I'm giving it a try. I really have no excuse not to be on top of things now, thanks for the tip!

• fourpageletter

09/19/2012 at 11:12 PM

Lia,
          I dont know if you are in Canada or US, but Canadian banks do not recommend using Mint.ca. I actually contacted CIBC and they don't like 3rd party apps being up in your bank accounts.

• Lia

09/19/2012 at 11:17 PM

I'm in the states, but I connected the site to my secondary accounts just in case something crazy happens. I appreciate the concern though…

09/19/2012 at 6:02 PM

Hi everyone, this week was a bit of a mixture for me. Blog wise, I spoke to the techs at go daddy to see what's the best thing I can do improve my blog. I still haven't decided which course of action I will take but I'm much improved from where I was before.

I finally found a gym that I deem suitable in all areas and will start there from October 1st so until then I will continue my exercises until then.

09/20/2012 at 1:35 AM

What gym did you decide on and where's it located??

I spoke with my tech friend and they told me that all you really would need godaddy for is pointing their domain name to your current hosting service [wordpress.com] but let me find a better solution for you. People are telling me godaddy aint worth a damn!

12. Tiko

09/19/2012 at 10:48 PM

This week I passed my exam and am officially a certified Life Coach! I am now beginning the process of setting up my business. Also, I have spent this week preparing for my showcase (next Saturday) where I’ll be singing. I’m super excited about it!

• fourpageletter

09/19/2012 at 11:11 PM

YAY! congrats!!!

09/20/2012 at 1:33 AM

Great news! Congrats!

Please tell me this showcase will be taped!

• funms

09/20/2012 at 10:47 AM

congrats! woohoo!

13. fourpageletter

09/19/2012 at 11:10 PM

OMG!! Kudos Jess!!!

14. Funms

09/20/2012 at 9:45 AM

Time to check in-

On Weightloss and Fitness- I'm on day 11 of the detox plan I started and I lost 12lbs already, although people say when I start eating well again, I'll gain half back but I doubt it cuz I have been reading on nutrition and exercise and I have a plan mapped out. One setback I had was yesterday when I ate something I wasn't supposed to for lunch. I felt guilty but picked myself back up. I have realised that I only fail when I quit trying

On My Business and Entrepreneurial activities- I entered a competition to win some funding. I won't know the result till November so fingers crossed. I had a setback in getting new customers as I procrastinated an activity, actually as I type, I have not done it. A write-up to send to some local vendors. I think I need to find an extra motivation or push for it. A part of me feels it won't yield any results

All in all, my discipline level is increasing and I see some growth

09/20/2012 at 12:35 PM

12 lbs?? Dang you're doing great!

The best advice I've heard to stop procrastination on some business ventures, is that you never know how big the lead is that you're missing by not getting it done. That write up you send to local vendors may only have an impact on one person – but it's that one person who has a HUGE network that could benefit you in every way possible – but if you don't send it, then that one person may miss out on working with you, and give someone else the opportunity that could've helped you.

Glad to see you are doing so great with this challenge!

• Dee

11/14/2012 at 10:45 PM

Uhk. I hate when I'm all passionate and happy about my goals and some naysayer says some hater filled gunk to me, ". . . although people say . . . back." What kind of mess is that? What friend or any supportive person would say that? I'm glad you have a plan, it's so key and once you know what your body responds too it only takes discipline to keep where you want to be. You can achieve anything you set your mind to, regardless of anyone else's experience or opinion.

15. Moi

09/21/2012 at 4:40 AM

My week has been good. I have been told that my boss has been talking about my good work . I have one big work-related test next week, so I have been concentrating all my attention on that. And I have also been given a leadership role in another work related project. Because of my gender, but mostly because of my young age (Director at 27), I have a lot to prove to those around me. All of this is a lot of stress, but I am encouraged by the positive feedback. I feel that all those tasks are just opportunities to prove myself.

Because of the increased work load, I have neglected my studying and exercising. I try not to get too mad at myself for that but I have promised myself to get back on track at the beginning of next month.

09/21/2012 at 2:12 PM

Great work Moi! I can definitely help remind you that you NEED to get back on track next month

16. Jaida

09/22/2012 at 11:46 PM

So I've been slacking on posting anything… However, I have been running and exercising still and also included some new stuff to the routine. I finally incorporated my 300 ab challenge, but didn't make it that far… it was a good try though. I've also vowed only to drink sodas and have ice cream on Saturday… this has been tough! My Spanish practice has really slacked, but I'm gonna try to stick to a schedule so I can reach this goal.