Would You Risk A Friendship To Save A Girlfriend From Being Abused? [By: Amanda Scott]

If there’s one topic that hits very close to home for me, it’s domestic abuse. Unfortunately I grew up in a home where there was abuse and I almost found myself in an abusive relationship as well, but thanks to the glory of God I had the strength to walk away from that situation. I preach to all my girlfriends that they need to avoid abusive men like the plague the first second he steps out of line, and never give him a second chance, because the next time it could cost her more than some stitches…it could cost her, her life! But now that I have a friend who is in a relationship with a man we all know “was” abusive, but hasn’t hit her yet, it’s hard to imagine what the next step should be.

I have a friend who is seeing a boy named “Harry” and we all know that Harry is abusive. In or small group of friends, one of my girls has an old classmate who went to college with Harry in another state, also and dated him…and she got beat up by Harry on more than one occasion! Not only did he push and hit her, but he also choked her almost until she passed out. The reason my close girlfriend even knows this is because Harry ended up in the newspaper and charges were pressed against him. So when my girlfriend saw my other girl rolling around town with Harry, she came to us and told us his history…but it left us in the terrible position of having to break the news to a woman who is so into her new man that things could go all down hill.

As a woman, it is hardwired in me to give other women the benefit of the doubt in many situations, but if there is one thing we need to change as a group, it’s how we react to hearing bad news about our boyfriends, from our girlfriends! Some women don’t even want to hear what their girlfriend is saying, and will instantly accuse her of being a hater or trying to steal her man…and because we don’t want to lose her as a friend, we tend to tread lightly so we don’t offend her. Our particular friend who is head over heels for Harry does tend to react like that, so me and my girls are in a tough place: Do we warn her about Harry and possibly lose a lifelong friend or do we just sit back and closely monitor the situation and jump only when we have solid proof?

Well, let me tell you what I chose to do: Me and my ex-classmate called Harry on 3-way and basically told him that if one-hair on my friends head is outta place, we will be calling everyone from the Ray-Ray to the DA to come get him, and I know he got that messagebut that doesn’t guarantee that he won’t put his damn paws on her if he gets heated in a fit of rage!

So, I ask you TIYC readers, would you risk a close friendship to save a girlfriend from being abused?

09/18/2012 at 4:36 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, What Would YOU Do If You Were In Amanda's Situation? Would You Tell Your Friend And Risk Having Her Hate You, Or Would You Keep It To Yourself Until He Stepped Out Of Line?

Also, Do You Think Once A Man Is Abusive He Will FOREVER Be Abusive, Or Can A Man Truly Change His Ways?

2. O'Brian Newell

09/18/2012 at 5:00 AM

Interesting post, I undoubtedly think that it is right to let your friend know who they are dealing with. But, you shouldn't judge someone by their past either – in this post it doesn't give both sides to the story which there always are 2-sides. And if the guy ain't done your friend wrong why threaten him – for me that's the wrong thing to do.

09/18/2012 at 5:32 AM

You messed up royally and I would be heated.

First and foremost, the chick is your friend and the guy owes you nothing. It's not your relationship to get involved in by speaking to the guy. You don't know the entire story and you took the word from some chick and took the information to HIM and not to your friend. You've literally placed your friendship in a screwed up position. Your friend is an adult and as such deserves to be told and you should respect that fact that she makes decisions for herself and not the other way around. How do you know that they haven't already discussed this and she accepted it? How do you know that he isn't seeking counseling? How do you know that the woman was telling the entire truth about him? You jumped without thinking and bc of that, i feel that you should sit your friend down and explain to her everything that has transpired. She will make the decision that is best for her and whether you agree with it or not, you have the choice to be there for her or walk away. You also need to sit there and listen if she chews you out for going to her guy and not directly to her.

This is what you should have done: sat your homegirl down and explained the information you found out about Harry, the person who told you about Harry, and print out the police report if you need to. Now what she does with the information provided is up to her. You did your part. But by going behind her back, calling her man on three way with another person, and threatening him is not the way to go about it. It makes you look like a bully and a control freak–the same type of person you want to save your friend from.

People in abusive relationships are there for a reason and no matter how clear the picture may be to an outsider, until that person is ready to leave and take the steps to leave, all you can do is be there for the person or remove yourself from the situation.

You treated your friend like a child that needs to be protected instead of like an adult that is able to make decisions for herself.

4. Smilez_920

09/18/2012 at 7:17 AM

As a friend you should have told her. A real friend tells me what I need to know regardless of my reaction. You said he was in the newspaper , show her the evidence.

I will say you might have messed up by calling him, that's something that could a) trigger him off or b) he could tell your friend and she could be mad at you guys for not coming to her first and letting her handle it , by herself.

Your friend is an adult , she has to make her own choice. Maybe he learned his lesson from what he did in college and has changed. If he hasn't I hope you trust your friend enough as an adult , for her to not stay with someone who is abusive. If you fear that she would stay in a situation like that, then you have a whole different issue on your hands. Also how do you know she wasn't already aware of his past, and just didn't tell you because , IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUISNESS, at this point . Maybe they've discussed the issue and she's willing to give him a chance. As long as he hasn't put his hands on her , she's good. I know we all want to be our friends HERO , but sometimes you have to fall back.

5. Celina

09/18/2012 at 7:52 AM

I probably would've taken the risk and told her anyways. The truth is offensive and it's a fact that we just have to deal with and prepare for the push-back. I don't think threatening him was the best approach because if she ever found out it would have the same effect. There were newspaper articles for God's sake! And I mean, homegirl can rail up if she wants to but I guarantee you she'll be ringing down your phone looking for support if he ever beat her a-scribble-scribble.

6. Jas

09/18/2012 at 8:52 AM

TELL HER! The probability of you losing a friend is very high but you cant, not look out for people you love in fear of them getting upset with you. Calling him wasnt a good idea because u cant scare an abusive man out of beating up one woman but that's already done. All you can do is warn your friend because although it may seem like a good idea to be more focused on keepin her in your life now if something terrible happens you will feel horrible for not even attempting to save her life.

7. mills

09/18/2012 at 11:01 AM

a good friend of mine was in an abusive relationship when we were in high school, he was about four years older than us as well. Anyways when she told a group of us the first time he got physical, she made it seem like it was a joke and we didn't take her serious plus we were 14 at the time. Fast forward two years later, and I was actually in the middle of their argument. It got to the point where I pulled my girl away from him and she turned around and screamed at me for ruining everything. This all happened in the parking lot of the local mall so security came as well and banned him from the property she went with him (out of fear). I had to go to work, but I didn't leave angry with my girl because I know she said those things to me out of fear. She called me later and apologized to me for how she yelled at me.

To this day I wish I had the right mind to tell her to leave the first time she told me what he did. I saw my dad abuse my mom as a young child, and she left right away with all of us. But you know what, I've learned that no matter what I will always tell my girl what the problem is no matter what I risk.

8. Smilez_920

09/18/2012 at 12:18 PM

As a friend you must remember how delicate a abusive relationship is . Now as far as we know he hasn’t abused her. But if he was planning to start abusing her you could be putting her in a dangerous situation by calling him and threatining him.

As a friend the most you can do is let your friend know that your door is always open if she needs someone to talk to or a place to escape. A woman will only leave an abusive relationship when she is ready. Most women don’t leave because the abuser has isolated her from family and friends.

But like most of us have said, he could have changed. So until you are sure of what’s going on the best thing you can do is stay out of it. And just be supportive of your friend.

9. NurseJilly

09/18/2012 at 1:50 PM

I completely understand the initial urge to call him up and threaten him but it was the wrong thing to do. As someone who has seen and gone through abuse growing up I feel like I'm super overprotective of not only myself but of other women as well. I can remember people approaching my stepfather out of concern and him being so angry and honestly a lot of times it made his outbursts worse.

I know what you did was out of concern but trust me your friends loyalty is going to be to him until she see's the red flags (which she may never). If he is a bad guy the he's gonna talk her into cutting you out of her life, thats what abusers do. So before he gets the chance to tell her what you did you should sit her down and explain what you did and why you did it.

10. Lia

09/18/2012 at 4:52 PM

I would and have risked a friendship if it meant that someone I cared about would be safe. I am VERY VERY VERY protective over my loved ones, but I also know that you cannot make a grown person do something that she doesn't want to do. I'm actually in a similar position right now, and I can tell you that after he hit her she went back to him. I just wanna shake the mess out of her until the sense comes back, but it would do no good. The warning signs were there from day one, dude is straight up disrespectful as hell. But four years later she's still complaining about how he treats her. When you are friends with someone, you know when they're putting up a front about being happy. I told her that I could sense that she wasn't really happy with him and the conversation went from there. But she stayed…

Some people are so desperate to feel loved that they'll try to get it from all of the wrong places. I'd say that it's just best to intervene when necessary, but only do it once. Tell your friend that she deserves more than what she's allowing herself to have and pray that she believes it. Your job is done at that point. Your duty as a friend is not to baby anyone.

11. @Amypma

09/18/2012 at 6:40 PM

Absolutely I would tell her. I would lose her friendship just to get it in her head even if she didn't listen to me. Forewarned is forearmed.

09/18/2012 at 7:33 PM

I'm blunt so I will tell her. I won't say he will do it to her because I can't predict the future but I will warn her about it. If I lose the friendship, well so be it. I'd rather lose a friend that I can see than one in death.

People can change but only if they want to AND if they get the help required in this particular situation.