Criticism Is NOT Bullying

By now, I’m sure many of you have seen the video of CBS’ WKBT News Anchor Jennifer Livingston responding on air to some DOUCHEBAG who took time out of his day just to let HER know that HE thinks she is too heavy to be on TV. As far as I’m concerned, the dude that went out of his way to throw shade at her deserves to be drop-kicked in his neck, because he’s simply talking out of his ASS. Before you make definitive statements about someone’s physical condition, you should probably ASK questions first to give your thoughts some proper context BEFORE you spew ignorance around all willy-nilly. Although his ignorant e-mail annoyed the F*^K out of me, the only thing that annoyed me more was her damn BULLYING plea. That ignorant jackass was a LOT of thingsbut a bully is NOT one of them.

Here’s the video of her going eloquently HAM on dude:

The best part of the video is when she says “You think I don’t KNOW that?” which is what EVERYONE in the WORLD struggling with weight problems thinks when we hear some skinny-c*^t try and dress us down about our weight issues as if everyone is born with the same ability to lose and gain weight. I REALLY wish she just ended it there, politely told that douche that she has a thyroid problem, told dude to go F*^K himself and cut to the next segment - but she decided to go on further and insert her ENTIRE foot in her mouth.

Now before I get on her for calling his thoughtless email insensitive, I really want y’all to take it in:

Hi Jennifer,

It’s unusual that I see your morning show, but I did so for a very short time today. I was surprised indeed to witness that your physical condition hasn’t improved for many years. Surely you don’t consider yourself a suitable example for this community’s young people, girls in particular. Obesity is one of the worst choices a person can make and one of the most dangerous habits to maintain. I leave you this note hoping that you’ll reconsider your responsibility as a local public personality to present and promote a healthy lifestyle.

Was there some shade in this email? YES. Was it inconsiderate? YES. Was it BULLYING? NO. The man didn’t come out calling her a fat piece of sh*t who needs to be hooked with handcuffs onto a treadmill, he stated that [in his IGNORANT opinion] she should be doing MORE to be a better role model. You don’t have to agree with his uninformed opinion but to unilaterally label it BULLYING does nothing but underscore what REAL bullying is, and frames dissenting opinions and thoughts in a negative manner.

If we are going to promote a REAL anti-bullying campaign, we need to realize that there are people out there being verbally accosted in the most horrific and painful ways. People are out here being mentally and emotionally abused beyond belief, and while bullying shouldn’t just be categorized by EXTREME examples, it should be CLEARLY removed from the realm of unpopular opinion. If THIS dude’s email is BULLYING, then what ISN’T bullying?

Hey Kanye,

I don’t know what you were thinking when you made Cruel Summer, but I miss the ‘Ye from Late Registration days. I would love to see you make a return to producing albums like that.

Is THAT bullying?

Hey Michael Phelps,

Stop being a damn pothead and focus on swimming. Your nation needs you to be great so you can inspire more kids to want to swim just like you and make America proud.

Is THAT bullying?

I would throw both of those emails into the same pile as the ignorant dudes, as a statement that DOESN’T need to be said and based off ill-informed logic, BUT it doesn’t make them BULLIES, and to drastically blur the lines on an issue as serious as this does nothing more than hurts REAL victims and demonizes not-so-PC opinions.

10/05/2012 at 6:40 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, Do You Think She Was A Victim Of ACTUAL Bullying?

• iluvwhoiluv

10/05/2012 at 2:18 PM

It wasn't bullying. I think the problem is too many people who take offense to criticism are making things out to be bullying, and that can take away the focus from people who are actually getting bullied.

For example, when I was younger, I was a bit overweight. Being told I needed to lose some weight, although cruel, wasn't bullying.

Getting spit at, beat up, and having make up put on my face and getting laughed at by others since I was deemed "fat and ugly"….bullying.

10/05/2012 at 7:10 AM

It wasn't bullying and that's all I can say really

10/05/2012 at 12:26 PM

Co-sign.

3. Ashley

10/05/2012 at 8:18 AM

I'm not sure if what she experienced per say was a victim of actual bullying however there are some instances when people have friends who constantly criticize everything about them and bully them and hide behind the facade of being a good friend, having an opinion, or being concerned, when their intentions are only to put the other person down in order to make themselves fell better. For example, if I had a daughter who always hung out with a girl who told her everyday that if she dressed better or lost weight that she'd be more beautiful and happy, I would not consider that as a friend just expressing her feelings or opinions but I would consider her a bully. But this is just my opinion…

10/05/2012 at 12:28 PM

Interesting, but I would need more details on that situation to quantify the "bullying." But then again women are a little crazy with their friendships with each other…

4. Abu Husain

10/05/2012 at 9:45 AM

No, she wasn't. Don't know what made the guy take the time to shoot off an email, but she needs to get over it. It's sad when we have to worry so much about being PC that even VALID criticism of a particular person, group, etc is seen a bullying, hate speech, etc.

10/05/2012 at 12:26 PM

EXACTLY.

5. bellatrice1

10/05/2012 at 1:08 PM

The definition of bullying is "the use of force or coercion to abuse or intimidate others."

This did not occur in the letter.

If anything, she gave this random man's letter credence by addressing it on television, which just makes her appear insecure. He said something mean and inappropriate, but which does not constitute abuse. The word bully is constantly being taken out of context far too much these days. She's an adult who should have learned by now to take criticism.

10/05/2012 at 2:54 PM

EXACTLY!

• Kelly Manchester

10/07/2012 at 10:39 PM

I agree. I think the letter was insensitive and rude but it's not as if he's writing in to the station everyday or calling her a fat pig all over Facebook (that we know of).

Also, from what i understand, her husband was so angry that he posted the letter on his own FB and people responded lending their support, which is why she may have felt some pressure to respond on tv.

6. Lia

10/05/2012 at 2:45 PM

Not at all. I'm not sure if he was well meaning and it just went wrong or what, but I think he should have sent a different message (if at all). We're all role models for somebody, but not because we change for them, so I'm not sure where he was trying to go with that.

Being the health-conscious person that I am, it does irk me a bit when I see people who don't take care of themselves and have the weight to show for it. It is dangerous and can have some very real long-term consequences. But nobody actually knows each individual's circumstances, most overweight people already know about their weight issues. Some will choose not to do anything about it and others will in their own time. But I'm sure that those who want to lose weight don't feel any better about themselves when someone else points out in a rude way how far they have to go.

If he couldn't get the message out with love then he shouldn't have said anything at all.

10/05/2012 at 2:54 PM

Agree, and at the same time, his message seems to be more honest with less tact, than straight out offensive and hurtful.

7. msmonet

10/05/2012 at 11:30 PM

I disagree. Sometimes being passive aggressive is just as bad and can be considered emotional abuse. Real talk, I have witnessed some of the worst corporate workplace bullies who do stuff like the author of this letter did just so they have an excuse to get away with it if needed.

8. Adonis

10/06/2012 at 10:02 PM

Thanks for bringing some common sense to this war-pig. These fat apologist need to sit down.

9. Pingback: Criticism is not Bullying » Readers Have Rights