It’s NEVER Too Late To Advance Your Education

Yesterday, I found out some very interesting news while surfing the net and getting my pop-culture fill of drama and ratchetness happening to people FAR outside of my tax bracket, and I learned that Drake recently just graduated from high school – at age 25. For some reason I had always assumed that while acting the role of a student on Degrassi, he was also subsequently enrolled in classes on the side, but apparently he dropped out of school to pursue his acting career, which was followed by a massively successful rap career, which left him little no time to focus on his education – until now. What’s funny is that EVERY single blog site that I’ve seen report this story has been filled with a massive amount of comments calling laughing at Drake and calling him an IDIOT – which are simply the actions of judgemental, self-aggrandizing jackasses.

The reason I find this so DISGUSTING is because educational elitism should NOT be enforced on people striving to become more educated no matter WHAT the circumstance is. The FACTS are (right from Drake’s mouth) that his mother was sick and their family was BROKE, so he did what he felt he had to do to make ends meet for their household. Let me stress that I personally DON’T CARE what his reason is, and I DEFINITELY don’t think he needs to come up with a reason good enough to placate a mass populous of anti-inteelctual strangers who will look down on him for anything he does anyways, but the point is he CHOSE to go BACK to school when even by his OWN admission, he didn’t really HAVE to:

“I guess we’ll never know what Harvard gets us/
But seeing my family have it all/
Took the place of that desire for diplomas on the wall.”

But what makes me SICK about this story is the elitism that people attach to their educational achievements as if it makes them somehow intrinsically BETTER people than everyone they’ve accomplished MORE than scholastically. The indignation that some of these DOUCHEBAGS have for Drake and his “sorry-little high school degree it took him 10 years to get” is representative of the mass ignorance and self-righteousness that causes MANY people to resent those with advanced degrees. Whether or not YOU think Drake SHOULD have graduated a lot earlier, the fact is what you think is utterly POINTLESS. Your opinion, your amoral judgement and your condescension only serves to PREVENT people from achieving higher education – and that makes you a worthless c*nt of a human, regardless of the letters after your name.

We ALL have vastly different stories, full of our own varied hardships which can prevent some people from completing school on the timeframe that many others do. These people don’t deserve RIDICULE, they deserve encouragement to keep trying and PRAISE for eventually finishing. And as someone who has spent A LOT of time around people with advanced degrees, this is NOT just an issue about Drake – this BULLSH*T goes on at every level of education, with people at every level of celebrity. I have been in ROOMS with ph.d’s (who assumed I was one of them) who talked down EVERYONE else without them like they are simply F*^KING UP in life, as if even TRYING to get a ph.d is a simple birthright we all reject because of abject laziness. Please miss me with that BS.

You can hate Drake, hate his album, hate his face, and hate his aggressive R&B – but DON’T hate on the ONE positive thing he’s imparted to his fans and haters:

When it comes to advancing your education, it’s always better LATE than NEVER.

10/19/2012 at 6:34 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, What Are YOUR Thoughts On Drake Graduating From High School On 25?

2. Smilez_920

10/19/2012 at 6:37 AM

I mean at least he went back. A lot of rappers don't have their GED or a degree. That's why they put so much into rap. It was their last hope. I assumed Drake had a high school diploma because most child actors are home schooled. But at 16 it is legal for you to drop out.

Good for him. Now I hope other ppl follow him in this direction who don't have their GED and try to finish. This is actaully very positive . A lot of ppl drop out and are to embarased to try again .

10/19/2012 at 2:26 PM

Then you have rappers like 2 Chainz who has a masters degree and effectively pretends he's ignorant

10/19/2012 at 2:49 PM

Stop lying?!? Are you serious???

• daboo18

11/21/2012 at 7:56 PM

lmao now that is funny or like Rick Ross being a police officer.

10/19/2012 at 7:36 AM

I remember when I moved after getting my masters and I was a secretary. It was a blow to my ego since I thought having those extra letters would get me an analyst position right out of grad school. While I worked at my first job, I became pretty cool with the security guard. She had 5 kids and was technically a single mom since the dad wasn't about anything in life. She told me that she wanted to better herself for her kids but couldn't bc she didn't have a high school diploma and had failed the GED once already. I told her that was unacceptable and that I would help her study. For 3 mths we worked together and she took the test and passed. :-). That was 6 yrs ago. She is now a GS 11 in the government. She is now in her early 40s.

People need to climb down the degree soap box. If this woman with 5 kids and in her 30s can get a HS diploma, then so can the Drakes and Beyonces of the world. Kudos to him.

• NurseJilly

10/19/2012 at 10:04 AM

Good for you Mena! Thats something that changed that woman's life forever.

10/19/2012 at 2:28 PM

Agreed.

What's a GS 11?

• pe.riche.

10/19/2012 at 2:35 PM

GS 11 is one of the MANY pay grades in the U.S. Government pay scale for Federal employees. The GS Grade ranges from 1 (the lowest) to 15 (the highest), with 10 steps in each grade. Basically, it's a major accomplishment.

10/19/2012 at 4:52 PM

Oh wow that's impressive.

4. DBoySlim

10/19/2012 at 10:01 AM

The thing that most people forget is that Drake is rich as hell. He doesn't need a degree he choose to get one. Let's be real, most people don't go to school for education they go to school for degrees and jobs. They go to get good jobs that pay them good money and if that's the case then Drake beat us all. He received more financially out of life by not going to school in using his talent than most of us would ever make by going to school and not using ours. As hey college dropout, I see this attitude you speak of very often. most people don't know I did not graduate from college until I tell them. the way I speak and carry myself sometimes give them the thought that I did. This educational elitism has to go. Even if you get a degree sometimes they shit what school you went to. For some people higher education is not a necessary factor for their personal success. I have a friend with high school diploma who sells cars. He makes more money than most people I know with masters degrees.

10/19/2012 at 2:26 PM

Completely cosign everything you just wrote!

• AwkSci

10/23/2012 at 9:19 PM

I understand what you're saying but believe it or not some people do go to school to learn and enhance skills that they may be interested in. Just because college/higher learning doesn't equal a high paying job doesn't mean it's not something worth learning or doing. These days it's tough to find a job even with degrees. The amount of money doesn't degrade the value of being educated in a certain subject.

5. iluvwhoiluv

10/19/2012 at 11:10 AM

I say good for Drake. Quite a few people don't even go back, especially if they are making hand over fist in money. It's never too late to learn.

10/19/2012 at 2:26 PM

Exactly!

7. pe.riche.

10/19/2012 at 2:37 PM

Not only am I glade he went back and earned his diploma, but I am also happy that he is making such a big deal out of it. Maybe all those kids who listen to his music will see that while wanting to be a rapper/actor/celebrity is cool, it's also great to get your education.

10/19/2012 at 4:55 PM