Let’s Get SERIOUS: There Are Only 3 Types Of Relationships In The World

When it comes to sex, relationships and dating, WE have taken the most natural, organic part of our intrinsic experience as human beings [creating and sharing love] and changed it into this complex, convoluted and complicated union full of restrictive social constructs and narrow-minded ideologies. This is not some antiquated “Once Upon A Time..” speech, it is just simply stating that we complicate relationships to placate our own ignorance, or the DOUCHEBAGGERY of our significant others, when the reality is relationships are NOT that damn complicated [so NEVER update your Facebook status to that]. There are only 3 types of positive relationships in the world: 1) A committed relationship, 2) A non-committed relationship, & 3) A friendship. And I DARE anyone reading this to prove me wrong.

Yes, YOU reader have officially been challenged to refute my theory. And the reason I want you to challenge it, is because I really want to prove the lengths we go to, just to make something seem more complex than it really is – because coming to grips with what it REALLY is, is sometimes too scary and/or disheartening. Some dudes have women they are friends with and WISH they could be MORE, so the guy will state that things are complicated between them – NAH SON, things are only complicated FOR YOU, because while you pine over her all day, she still thinks you’re FRIENDS – because that’s EXACTLY what you are. Some women are out here sleeping with guys in exclusive-benefits situations [where they aren’t “official” but they only sleep with each other – allegedly] and she is feeling confused over where things are going, but the FACT is they are just in a non-committed relationship – and the only CONFUSION is on HER end.

But before I go on, allow me to DEFINE the terms:

1) A Committed Relationship: This is a relationship where exclusivity of the heart was clearly defined in the creation of this union. This is GF/BF relationships, engagements and marriages. Even polygamist fall under this category because even though they have MORE than one wife, they are still required to be faithful and honour a specific code in their relationships. YES, polygamists CAN cheat, and having more than one wife doesn’t give him free reign to stick his penis into anyone – just marry anyone [as ridiculous as that sounds].

The Huxtables = Perfect Wedded Bliss

2) A Non-Committed Relationship: This is any form of dating that occurs without an exclusive commitment. This includes friends with benefits, jump-offs, someone you’ve been on a couple dates with, someone you just broke up with but you’re still having sex with, someone you’re cheating with and someone who is cheating on their partner with you. If you do relationship activities together but no formal exclusivity has been put on the table, you’re simply in a non-committed relationship.

“Is that my Saturday night jumpoff talking to another man…F*^K is wrong with her?? I mean she ain’t my woman, but that ain’t the damn point!”

3) A Friendship: This is just two people kicking it, with either ONE or BOTH parties unaware OR uninterested in developing a romantic relationship with the other person. If a man and a woman don’t like each other LIKE THAT, they are friends. If the man loves the woman, and she doesn’t know NOR wants him back, they are friends. And if she wants to get serious with him, and he doesn’t KNOW nor CARE about her in that same manner, they are FRIENDS.

“C’mon girl, just let me hit it ONCE…this friend zone sh*t is givin’ a brother a hernia! Whatchu’ mean that don’t make sense?!”

The reason I’m writing this post is because I have a lot of friends and family members going through some hardcore relationship issues, and they constantly think their hearts have been broken or believe their minds have been manipulated by a douche they are involved with. And as much as the person MAY be a douche, the ACCURATE type of relationship you’re in speaks VOLUMES about what you should expect and how you should subsequently act. If you are in a non-committed relationship with someone, STOP treating them like you’re in a COMMITTED relationship OR measure your expectations down a notch. If you want to be in a relationship with someone and they are only interested in being FRIENDS, don’t be mad at them for not wanting a relationship with you and just play your friendly-ass part.

If there’s ONE thing we ALL need to start doing right now, it’s taking MUCH more responsibility for the way we LET people treat us.

10/09/2012 at 4:30 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, Do You Agree That There Are Only 3 Types Of Relationship TYPES, Or Do You Believe There Are Much More? If So, What Are They?

• Piscean

10/09/2012 at 6:19 AM

At the end of the day, there are only 3 relationships. People like to believe they are more important than they really are so they say " naw, my relationship is different bc blah blah blah". No, your relationship isn't that different regardless of history or complications. You are either in a committed relationship or not.

10/09/2012 at 11:31 AM

Co-sign!

• Ises

10/09/2012 at 4:40 PM

I heard a saying once. If your not married your single. That means a baby, a car loan, a credit card, a mortgage etc. that is shared does not make you committed. Someone of the pair is susceptible to being effed over at any point.!

• lola289

10/09/2012 at 8:48 PM

LOL cosign!
        #theydonthearU

10/09/2012 at 11:54 PM

Agreed!

• the girl

10/11/2012 at 12:40 PM

You can be married and still get effed over. Only difference is married people get effed over in court.

• BklynTrini327

03/23/2013 at 7:17 PM

I agree with you on this. There's a lot of people walking around just dating/getting to know someone yet acting like they're boo'd up and catching attitude when the other person is out with or kicking it with someone else. I also definitely agree about the Friendship types. I was friends with a guy for yrs and I always said 'Oh we're just friends' to people that thought there was more going on between us. Physically, there wasn't however, I DID feel more of an attraction to him (I thought he felt the same thing) so I started acting like yes we're friends but we're more than that or oh it's complicated. We're doing our own thing but one day we'll 'get it right'. Truth be told, he obviously saw me as just a friend because he never try to make me more than that. He still dated, ended up in a true committed relationship and is now engaged. BTW, that so-called friend started distancing himself from me, didn't tell me (his so-called friend) about the engagement, I found out thru social media, and gave me a half-assed thank you when I congratulated him. Luckily I woke up in time before too much damage was done.

10/09/2012 at 5:06 AM

#2 seems like an oxymoron. Relationship signifies that there is some type of commitment. Can we label this as "Just Fu$king?"

I think there are only 2: "exclusive" and "we don't go together." "We don't go together" encompasses everything that isn't involved in "exclusive."

The friendship scale is a whole different beast since I feel like people use the term friend WAY too loosely.

10/09/2012 at 5:54 AM

Nope. Everything from the first date to exclusive commitment falls into category 2 and most people in that category are doing a whole lot more than just smashing.

Friendship needs to be thrown in here because it's also how many people START the dating process.

10/09/2012 at 7:34 AM

I don't think that friendship is on the mind of many people during the dating process. It's usually physical first, then a mental, then the emotional connection.

I will stick with there being two categories for heterosexuals of the opposite sex: exclusive and not exclusive.

10/09/2012 at 11:33 AM

I'm inclined to agree with you, but friendship needs to be thrown into this discussion especially when it's a prevalent part of the confusion.

• lola289

10/09/2012 at 8:52 PM

You are totally correct…friendship should come first!
            Sex really can confuse the situation & people.
            p.s. Lincoln, If thats ur REAL name then "Awesomeness!"

10/09/2012 at 11:55 PM

That's definitely my real name, so thanks!

• ChloeRayne516

10/09/2012 at 8:51 AM

. "Everything from the first date to exclusive commitment falls into category 2"

I agree!!! Until the "the talk"has been had by both parties ya'll are not exclusive even though you may be spending an exorbitant amount of time together. Honestly this category is where A LOT of people seem to end up and staying in which is why communication and taking care of YOUR heart first is very important, do't expect someone to navigate your feelings for you.

10/09/2012 at 11:33 AM

Exactly what I'm trying to say!

3. Shaun

10/09/2012 at 6:16 AM

In terms of friendship, if it is based on unrequited love, then there is NO friendship. If someone doesn't reciprocate a person's romantic interest and that person is only holding on in hopes that the other person will eventually change his/her mind. That is NOT friendship. And if you like someone and the do not reciprocate, do not honour that person with your friendship! Keep it moving. We need to quit short changing ourselves. As far as everything else Linc is spot on as usual.

• NurseJilly

10/09/2012 at 10:18 AM

Couldn't agree more Shaun!!

4. Smilez_920

10/09/2012 at 7:27 AM

I agree but I will say that I think a lot of ppl confusion comes in because in those three categories there are a few sub-categories ( except the friend level). In the non commitment level is where a lot of ppl start with the "it's complicated " because they don't want to truly accept the situation for what it is or they think there is hope to move up the scale to the other sub-categories . ( ie friends with benefits to dating to hopefully the next category.)

I also think that the non official but exclusive label can make a lot of ppl confused if they don't communicate with each other what their expectations and limitations are.

• ChloeRayne516

10/09/2012 at 9:00 AM

"I also think that the non official but exclusive label can make a lot of ppl confused"

I hear what you are saying but my question is WHY OH WHY would anyone want to be exclusive to a person who hasn't deemed them to be official, the only person who is.getting.confused.here is the one who wants the official title more. Both parties are not confused, one if the participants do know what this.situation.really is.

• ChloeRayne516

10/09/2012 at 9:01 AM

*of*

10/09/2012 at 9:28 AM

People do this crap. The "i am almost there with my feelings, am only sleeping with you, but not yet ready to make a commitment so I don't want you sleeping or seeing anyone else" bs.

• ChloeRayne516

10/09/2012 at 2:45 PM

Okay all well and good — ("i am almost there with my feelings, am only sleeping with you, but not yet ready to make a commitment so I don't want you sleeping or seeing anyone else") but why would you let them have that kind of control over the entire situation if they aren't trying to make it officical if exclusive is what you want. Yes I undertand people will try to pull this BS but it's up to that individual to be like "Whoa, nah pahtna that ain't happening"

10/09/2012 at 3:40 PM

I wholeheartedly agree. I am just saying that this does happen.

• Smilez_920

10/09/2012 at 11:18 AM

I mean like maybe y'all r working towards being official and the first step is cutting off your side ppl and focusing on building towards the bf / gf stage. . But trust it has a time limit. I junk that's where ppl get caught. And also ppl closing offbtheirnoptions when the other person has clearly not cut off theirs .

10/09/2012 at 11:35 AM

I don't think there are any sub-categories, we just create them to make ourselves feel better about the stankness of our relationships.

5. Melissa

10/09/2012 at 9:19 AM

my own theory was that there are three relationship statuses: Single, Engaged and Married. (Rather rigid I know, I just believe as long as you are not engaged or married, you are still on the market)

But this makes sense too. Friends, committed and not committed. As simple as that.

10/09/2012 at 11:36 AM

I think my theory and your own are very closely aligned.

• Lia

10/09/2012 at 2:35 PM

Agree!

6. Ange

10/09/2012 at 12:03 PM

Bravo. I couldn't agree more. We tend to complicate things to indeed validate "the stankness of our relationships." Things are quite simple, no need to try to develop qualifications for the weak points!

10/09/2012 at 12:21 PM

Agreed Ange.

7. bellatrice1

10/09/2012 at 1:19 PM

One of these days, I won't agree with you!! Oh what a day that will be! lol
    Once again, I concur 100%

10/09/2012 at 3:21 PM

LOL that will be an interesting day for real!

8. alexxussknight

10/09/2012 at 1:45 PM

Okay Lincoln here is one for you. If two people are in the non-committed phase of the relationship both parties care but one wants to take it to the next level and the other is still deciding, is it realistic to expect that the person behaves like they want to be in the relationship with that person?

10/09/2012 at 3:25 PM

The only thing that is realistic to expect is that the person acts exactly like what the relationship really is. If I'm in a non-committed relationships and I'm CONSIDERING being exclusive with someone it won't change the fact that we are NOT currently committed, which means I'm free to act however I want.

Plus, if I was serious about you, I wouldn't need too much time to determine that I want to be with you exclusively.

9. Lia

10/09/2012 at 2:27 PM

At first I was going to disagree with you, but when I think about it I'm inclined to agree. We can get ourselves in a lot of trouble when we don't know how to play our position. Hell, some people don't even know what there's is or how to ask for a promotion.

I will say that I think some people may never fall into any of these categories. Just because you date someone does not mean that you are friends. Sometimes, the best they can ever be is an acquaintance. Anybody that you date who isn't up to par or doesn't treat you respectfully was never really your friend in the first place and, by default, will never be able to move up in the ranks.

10. lola289

10/09/2012 at 9:09 PM

Oh that first pic IS everything!

*fans myself*

11. Kelly Manchester

10/10/2012 at 1:18 AM

I agree for the most part, but like others are saying, there are other levels within each of those categories. The term 'boyfriend/"girlfriend" which falls under committed or non-committed can range from a couple that goes out from time to time to a couple living together with a baby. But I guess if we're looking at relationships in the broadest sense your 3 categories work.

12. rizan

10/10/2012 at 4:17 AM

13. @Funms

10/10/2012 at 4:40 AM

I totally agree with this post. I used to deceive myself and say there were 'situationships'. I am wiser now and I guess being in a committed relationship makes one realise that it's either you are in or out. Nothing like it's a complicated situationships. We need to stop deceiving ourselves and making excuses for douchebags

14. Deborah

12/26/2013 at 2:12 PM

Haha oh yah, the famousFriends with Benefits – it can be fun, but it can also be emotionally dangerous for a woman as well as we tend to get more emotionally attached than guys