Let’s Get SERIOUS: There Are Only 3 Types Of Relationships In The World

When it comes to sex, relationships and dating, WE have taken the most natural, organic part of our intrinsic experience as human beings [creating and sharing love] and changed it into this complex, convoluted and complicated union full of restrictive social constructs and narrow-minded ideologies. This is not some antiquated “Once Upon A Time..” speech, it is just simply stating that we complicate relationships to placate our own ignorance, or the DOUCHEBAGGERY of our significant others, when the reality is relationships are NOT that damn complicated [so NEVER update your Facebook status to that]. There are only 3 types of positive relationships in the world: 1) A committed relationship, 2) A non-committed relationship, & 3) A friendship. And I DARE anyone reading this to prove me wrong.

Yes, YOU reader have officially been challenged to refute my theory. And the reason I want you to challenge it, is because I really want to prove the lengths we go to, just to make something seem more complex than it really is – because coming to grips with what it REALLY is, is sometimes too scary and/or disheartening. Some dudes have women they are friends with and WISH they could be MORE, so the guy will state that things are complicated between them – NAH SON, things are only complicated FOR YOU, because while you pine over her all day, she still thinks you’re FRIENDS – because that’s EXACTLY what you are. Some women are out here sleeping with guys in exclusive-benefits situations [where they aren’t “official” but they only sleep with each other – allegedly] and she is feeling confused over where things are going, but the FACT is they are just in a non-committed relationship – and the only CONFUSION is on HER end.

But before I go on, allow me to DEFINE the terms:

1) A Committed Relationship: This is a relationship where exclusivity of the heart was clearly defined in the creation of this union. This is GF/BF relationships, engagements and marriages. Even polygamist fall under this category because even though they have MORE than one wife, they are still required to be faithful and honour a specific code in their relationships. YES, polygamists CAN cheat, and having more than one wife doesn’t give him free reign to stick his penis into anyone – just marry anyone [as ridiculous as that sounds].

The Huxtables = Perfect Wedded Bliss

2) A Non-Committed Relationship: This is any form of dating that occurs without an exclusive commitment. This includes friends with benefits, jump-offs, someone you’ve been on a couple dates with, someone you just broke up with but you’re still having sex with, someone you’re cheating with and someone who is cheating on their partner with you. If you do relationship activities together but no formal exclusivity has been put on the table, you’re simply in a non-committed relationship.

“Is that my Saturday night jumpoff talking to another man…F*^K is wrong with her?? I mean she ain’t my woman, but that ain’t the damn point!”

3) A Friendship: This is just two people kicking it, with either ONE or BOTH parties unaware OR uninterested in developing a romantic relationship with the other person. If a man and a woman don’t like each other LIKE THAT, they are friends. If the man loves the woman, and she doesn’t know NOR wants him back, they are friends. And if she wants to get serious with him, and he doesn’t KNOW nor CARE about her in that same manner, they are FRIENDS.

“C’mon girl, just let me hit it ONCE…this friend zone sh*t is givin’ a brother a hernia! Whatchu’ mean that don’t make sense?!”

The reason I’m writing this post is because I have a lot of friends and family members going through some hardcore relationship issues, and they constantly think their hearts have been broken or believe their minds have been manipulated by a douche they are involved with. And as much as the person MAY be a douche, the ACCURATE type of relationship you’re in speaks VOLUMES about what you should expect and how you should subsequently act. If you are in a non-committed relationship with someone, STOP treating them like you’re in a COMMITTED relationship OR measure your expectations down a notch. If you want to be in a relationship with someone and they are only interested in being FRIENDS, don’t be mad at them for not wanting a relationship with you and just play your friendly-ass part.

If there’s ONE thing we ALL need to start doing right now, it’s taking MUCH more responsibility for the way we LET people treat us.

10/09/2012 at 4:30 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, Do You Agree That There Are Only 3 Types Of Relationship TYPES, Or Do You Believe There Are Much More? If So, What Are They?

10/09/2012 at 5:06 AM

#2 seems like an oxymoron. Relationship signifies that there is some type of commitment. Can we label this as "Just Fu$king?"

I think there are only 2: "exclusive" and "we don't go together." "We don't go together" encompasses everything that isn't involved in "exclusive."

The friendship scale is a whole different beast since I feel like people use the term friend WAY too loosely.

3. Shaun

10/09/2012 at 6:16 AM

In terms of friendship, if it is based on unrequited love, then there is NO friendship. If someone doesn't reciprocate a person's romantic interest and that person is only holding on in hopes that the other person will eventually change his/her mind. That is NOT friendship. And if you like someone and the do not reciprocate, do not honour that person with your friendship! Keep it moving. We need to quit short changing ourselves. As far as everything else Linc is spot on as usual.

4. Smilez_920

10/09/2012 at 7:27 AM

I agree but I will say that I think a lot of ppl confusion comes in because in those three categories there are a few sub-categories ( except the friend level). In the non commitment level is where a lot of ppl start with the "it's complicated " because they don't want to truly accept the situation for what it is or they think there is hope to move up the scale to the other sub-categories . ( ie friends with benefits to dating to hopefully the next category.)

I also think that the non official but exclusive label can make a lot of ppl confused if they don't communicate with each other what their expectations and limitations are.

5. Melissa

10/09/2012 at 9:19 AM

my own theory was that there are three relationship statuses: Single, Engaged and Married. (Rather rigid I know, I just believe as long as you are not engaged or married, you are still on the market)

But this makes sense too. Friends, committed and not committed. As simple as that.

6. Ange

10/09/2012 at 12:03 PM

Bravo. I couldn't agree more. We tend to complicate things to indeed validate "the stankness of our relationships." Things are quite simple, no need to try to develop qualifications for the weak points!

7. bellatrice1

10/09/2012 at 1:19 PM

One of these days, I won't agree with you!! Oh what a day that will be! lol
    Once again, I concur 100%

8. alexxussknight

10/09/2012 at 1:45 PM

Okay Lincoln here is one for you. If two people are in the non-committed phase of the relationship both parties care but one wants to take it to the next level and the other is still deciding, is it realistic to expect that the person behaves like they want to be in the relationship with that person?

9. Lia

10/09/2012 at 2:27 PM

At first I was going to disagree with you, but when I think about it I'm inclined to agree. We can get ourselves in a lot of trouble when we don't know how to play our position. Hell, some people don't even know what there's is or how to ask for a promotion.

I will say that I think some people may never fall into any of these categories. Just because you date someone does not mean that you are friends. Sometimes, the best they can ever be is an acquaintance. Anybody that you date who isn't up to par or doesn't treat you respectfully was never really your friend in the first place and, by default, will never be able to move up in the ranks.

10. lola289

10/09/2012 at 9:09 PM

Oh that first pic IS everything!

*fans myself*

11. Kelly Manchester

10/10/2012 at 1:18 AM

I agree for the most part, but like others are saying, there are other levels within each of those categories. The term 'boyfriend/"girlfriend" which falls under committed or non-committed can range from a couple that goes out from time to time to a couple living together with a baby. But I guess if we're looking at relationships in the broadest sense your 3 categories work.

12. rizan

10/10/2012 at 4:17 AM

13. @Funms

10/10/2012 at 4:40 AM

I totally agree with this post. I used to deceive myself and say there were 'situationships'. I am wiser now and I guess being in a committed relationship makes one realise that it's either you are in or out. Nothing like it's a complicated situationships. We need to stop deceiving ourselves and making excuses for douchebags

14. Deborah

12/26/2013 at 2:12 PM

Haha oh yah, the famousFriends with Benefits – it can be fun, but it can also be emotionally dangerous for a woman as well as we tend to get more emotionally attached than guys