The 52 Week Pledge: FAILURE Is A VERY Slippery Slope [Week Five]

If I can be 1000% honest, I was a little disappointed that last weeks post garnered so little attention and it’s not about site hits, having a lot of comments to make my blog look like the hot spot or even some grandiose desire I have to act like I’m some all-important force changing lives with every simple keystroke I make. I was disappointed because, believe it or not, I am personally invested in the stories of everyone who took the 52 week pledge. I want to see your progress and hear about your ups and downs because I am personally interested in what happens to you all. Don’t forget, I am on this dream-chasing journey with each and every one of you, and your personal inspiration HELPS me more than you probably know.

Here is the ORIGINAL PLEDGE POSThttp://www.thisisyourconscience.com/2012/08/tiyc-presents-the-52-week-pledge-i-challenge-you-to-get-closer-to-your-dreams/

Now I’m not assuming that people stopped chasing their dreams simply because they didn’t have time to post an update on my blog, but if posting here every Wednesday has become part of your goal-reaching ritual, it would be great if you could find time to execute even the smallest of necessary tasks, because the path to failure is paved with creating small excuses to NOT do small things. And when I say FAILURE I mean not even attempting to give your 100% to achieving your dreams.

When it comes to NOT realizing our dreams, failure is typically not some big, flaming disaster that rocks our lives to the core, demolishing everything including our goals in its’ wake. Failure is more often just something we comfortably settle into and eventually find ourselves completely enveloped in it. It starts with convincing yourself that it’s OK to miss one “small” meeting, which turns into “not having time” to make that last “small” phone call and procrastinating on that one “small” project. It’s the accumulation of ignoring those seemingly small and innocuous tasks that ultimately ends up with you being lethargic about the totality of your dream and allowing it to fall by the wayside.

So my question this week to all of you is this: What can I do with these posts to help YOU out with reporting your successes and setbacks here every Wednesday and ultimately achieving your life goals? I definitely want to hear your advice, because your suggestions will benefit ME as well, as someone looking to achieve goals. PLEASE let me know what I can do.

As always let me know how your week was, and what you have planned for the next 7-days coming up.

Keep grinding.

10/03/2012 at 4:33 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, What GOALS Did You Achieve In The Past 7 Days? What are your goals for the NEXT 7-days??

Also, what can I do HERE on this site to help YOU more with chasing your goals??

10/03/2012 at 5:04 AM

Although this week has been BUSY but slow in terms of actual results, I did manage to register my NEW online dating site which will be up before the month is over and I created a press release for my new Ebook and I'm looking forward to marketing the hell out of it.

• Lia

10/03/2012 at 1:52 PM

By the way, very proud of you for finishing your book. My goddaughter is two, and I've been wanting to write a book for her since she was born (for her to read when she's old enough of course). Not anything special, just things that I think she should know and important life lessons from the perspective of someone who loves her. Haven't worked up the courage to actually write anything though, I've gotten so far as one page and then I got overwhelmed. You should really consider possibly telling us about some of the specific doubts and actions that got in your way of finishing your book, and how you overcame them.

10/03/2012 at 2:20 PM

Ok cool Lia, I like that and I'm definitely down to try that

• Jesssssssssss

10/03/2012 at 2:54 PM

Linc, ____I saw it was a little slow last week too but I made a decision to not get down about it. You are still doing a bang up job! If nobody else is reading… I AM. This has been fuel for my purpose.____Let's keep going!!!!

10/03/2012 at 4:14 PM

As long as one other person is on this journey with me it makes it all worthwhile!

• GrandCentral

10/04/2012 at 12:13 AM

Good Job! Online Dating Site??? Is this the one where you will chronicle online dating or an actual match maker site? Try to promote as much as possible so you come in strong when you drop in 2013.

• iluvwhoiluv

10/04/2012 at 10:29 AM

Congratulations on the Ebook and the online dating site!

3. @Funms

10/03/2012 at 5:54 AM

Congrats on registering. It's a great step in the right direction. All the best with marketing. I am sure you will soon start seeing great results.

I am so guilty of not posting my update on time. I missed out last week and I really don't have an excuse. All part of the procrastination ways I am trying to get rid of. However this requires commitment and I am going to stay focused and see it through.

So progress.

Weight Loss- I have successfully lost One stone and I am so excited. I have 3 more to go, but it feels good to see the difference so far. It has been hard, I had a cheat day on meals last week and I felt so miserable and beat myself up but thankfully I decided to get back on track and not give up.

On Entrepreneurship and my business. A website reached out to me for a feature and for me to talk about my Entrepreneurial progress but I really don't feel comfortable talking about what I have done and giving advice, I feel like I am not yet capable and no one wants to hear what I have to say. Maybe i'm being too hard on myself but I really don't feel secure talking about it. Although if I do the piece, it will bring more exposure for my business.

Oh I do some fashion writing for a local newspaper and I got nominated in my city as Fashion writer of the year, well with other people so not sure If i will win but it has definitely boosted my ego.

Anyone ever created a vision board? I am thinking of creating one. Is it helpful?

10/03/2012 at 11:44 AM

Congrats on the progress with your weight loss and business! I'll be keeping you in my prayers for that writing award!

All though you missed last week, I'm glad you're posting today and even happier you're still pushing towards your goal.

• @Funms

10/04/2012 at 3:03 AM

Thanks a lot Lincoln

• GrandCentral

10/04/2012 at 12:22 AM

I am a huge fan of vision boards. I am a cornball and at the beginning of the year I have cocktails and vision boards for my closest girlfriends at my apartment. We literally sit for hours drinking and chatting with magazines, scissors and glue sticks doing our vision boards. I was a little overly ambitious with this years board and it never got done. However I plan to finish it.

I usually write out a list for 12 month and write goals and things I want. Then I do the same for 2 years, 5 years and 10 years. I then find pictures in magazine or on the internet for those things and paste them on the board. No lie, in 2008 I put the logo of the company that I currently work for. I landed there in 2010. It really works.

• @Funms

10/04/2012 at 3:03 AM

wow, it really does work, Thanks so much. I will go get started on mine then.

• iluvwhoiluv

10/04/2012 at 10:29 AM

Kudos on the weight loss!

10/03/2012 at 6:34 AM

Congrats Lincoln. I think we all procrastinate at some time in our journeys and I'm no different. Life sometimes throws a curve ball and you're so busy with dealing with it you neglect the small things you can still do. As for me, I'm starting the gym this week and I have already decided which ACCA exams I will be attempting in June and am currently planning my schedule for studying. I'm still promoting my blog http://www.petersburgh.wordpress.com especially here at home in Barbados as most of my followers etc aren't local. Another goal I have set is to buy a car by the end of this year or at least by March next year and I'm already on to that.

10/03/2012 at 11:45 AM

Good goals! Have you reached out to other Bajan bloggers to guest post on their sites?

• petersburgh

10/03/2012 at 1:49 PM

I have only came across one or two and have been told about a few but I know nothing about make up and handbags. I do write poetry and I follow a bajan poet so I can link with himSent from my BlackBerry® wireless device from LIME.

• GrandCentral

10/04/2012 at 12:14 AM

Good job joining the gym!! Fill us in. What's the ACCA exams?

• petersburgh

10/04/2012 at 12:18 AM

Association of Certified Chartered Accountants. Basically it's to become a professional accountantSent from my BlackBerry® wireless device from LIME.

• GrandCentral

10/04/2012 at 12:52 AM

Ah ha!! Got it!

• iluvwhoiluv

10/04/2012 at 10:30 AM

Congrats on joining the gym! I joined a gym back in July. Let me know how everything goes.

5. Lina

10/03/2012 at 9:19 AM

Had to be at work early last week so didn't have time to post.

Updates: I got two responses to the two job applications I sent out. Going to an info session for one later this morning! Spent almost 2 hours at the gym Thursday, but haven't been back since. Will go tonight, I actually feel good afterwards, who knew? lol Started coming up with my own recipes again, just need to put them back on my blog that I neglected since the beginning of the year.

10/03/2012 at 11:46 AM

Thanks for posting Lina! Glad to see things are still moving in the right direction!

• GrandCentral

10/04/2012 at 12:17 AM

That's really good Lina. I always find that when I go crazy at the gym and work out past 90 mins, I burnout quickly and end up taking a few days off. Try to pace yourself and go slow and build up you will be less likely to miss days. Exercise really does make you feel better. I try to capture the feeling a remember it, so if I don't feel like going I can think about how great I felt. What kind of chef are you? I am always looking for good vegan/vegetarian recipes.

• iluvwhoiluv

10/04/2012 at 10:33 AM

I agree with Grand Central; pace yourself. Especially if you are doing full body training (like exercising the whole body), sometimes you may need a couple of days in between for your body to adjust. Sometimes, even small burst, like if you want to spend one day on upper body and another day on lower body, just so you don't feel like you have to constantly be at the gym for two hours.

Congrats on your success so far!

6. KemaVA

10/03/2012 at 10:30 AM

I had to rework my dream. lol! I'm still working on the weight loss / health. I am down 2lbs. :-) 8-18 more to go. I'm not sure how far I want to go.

• imakesense

10/03/2012 at 11:35 AM

I don't think you should lose weight you have the perfect body! But I understand you need to be comfortable in your own bod

• KemaVA

10/03/2012 at 11:52 AM

You are so sweet! Thanks!

10/03/2012 at 11:46 AM

Nice! What kind of work out schedule are you on??

• KemaVA

10/03/2012 at 11:54 AM

I am committing to at least 2 times a week. I would like to do 3. Worked out yesterday and plan to workout tomorrow.

• iluvwhoiluv

10/04/2012 at 10:33 AM

Congrats on the weight loss!

7. imakesense

10/03/2012 at 11:37 AM

I didn't post any goals because I just want to graduate and than think later but good luck to everyone!

(I guess to get into a masters program, but in order to do that I need to graduate, so yeah)

• KemaVA

10/03/2012 at 11:54 AM

When do you graduate? Thats definitely a fine goal

8. Jared Cole

10/03/2012 at 11:55 AM

I procrastinated last week I'm not gonna lie. However, I was more aggressive this week. I went to Extreme Couture this week to workout. It was supper intense. I'm in pain, but I gained lol. As for my business I text one of my friends last week about my online business, to ask for her opinion and she laughed at me. I guess she doesn't think it is possible. What I'm going to do this week is call some other people that I really admire, and get their opinion and see if they can help me. I wrote down my goals which really helps. I want to reach Regional status in the company in one year, go on the company spring trip to Hawaii and eventually move out of my moms place I'm still very young but I want to plan my future from now.

10/03/2012 at 2:21 PM

Smart move. Don't let anyone deter you from your dreams!

• iluvwhoiluv

10/04/2012 at 10:35 AM

Well, Jared, the very person who is laughing is going to be the one frowning when you are successful! Get feedback from people who you know are going to definitely have your back. It's never too early to start planning.

Congrats on the workout session.

9. Lia

10/03/2012 at 1:41 PM

Gotta admit that this post made me smile a bit because it is soooo true. I'll be honest about the past few days, I dropped the ball a bit. This story is not about my main goal but part of the bigger picture. I was totally slipping this past weekend with making sure that I do some sort of cleaning task everyday. I let 4 days go by without even looking at the vacuum or picking up a mop(which is an absolute NONO for me). Then once the weekend was over, I realized that I hadn't been doing what I set out to do. It wasn't because I didn't have the opportunity or the energy. It was out of pure laziness of the mind. My mind allowed itself to wander to the point of distraction, and suddenly I was thinking of all of these different things that were seemingly more important. But once Monday hit, I was disappointed with myself because suddenly I felt overwhelmed by what I felt I needed to do. But you know what, I busted my behind and cleaned like nobody's business both Monday and Tuesday. After it was all done, I just thought to myself, "dang, why didn't I just do that in the first place?" You see, that was the slippery slope that I almost let myself go down. Cleaning is a ritual that helps me clear my mind. And when my space (literally and figuratively) is cleared, I am always able to focus on what's important. And when I am able to meet daily goals, it motivates me to go for the bigger long-term ones.

Now, I have continued to keep a spending journal and last week I started making my lunch at home. Easy in theory but difficult to maintain. I'm lazy when it comes to having to get up earlier than I already have to and I formed a bad habit a long time ago of paying for food. But something amazing happened one day: I actually made my dinner with what I had on hand in the house (which rarely happens unless I specifically plan it that way). I have to admit, I was so proud of myself that I went to the store the next day and was able to catch a great deal on some stuff that I wanted. Felt so good about it, I was motivated to make myself lunch for the rest of the week. Learned that I have so skills I never knew I had.

For this next week, I will figure out how to cut my spending down when it comes to my dogs. I love them to death, but I'm spending $200/month on grooming and $100/month on food for them. That's $300/month for some dogs, my mom didn't even get that in child support every month LOL…I just bought them some oatmeal shampoo and an extension for the faucet so I'm going to try to see if I can get the grooming bill down to between 50-70 each month. And I've been reading on homemade dog food for a few years now, I'm wondering if now is the time to switch over. It'll be better for them anyways and it'll be less expensive for me. We shall see how this goes…

10/03/2012 at 2:24 PM

Wow $300 a month! You really treat those dogs well!

Thanks for resuming the updates, I really appreciate knowing what's going on with you!

• iluvwhoiluv

10/04/2012 at 10:36 AM

Yes, those dogs have it sweet! I think they will like the homemade just as well or even better than the premium stuff in the stores. The fact is they know you love them.

10. Jessssssssss

10/03/2012 at 3:42 PM

The Slippery slope is very real! But Wednesday's I commit to check in. I haven't given up and because of this challenge my goals are begining to get clearer and clearer.

My weight loss has no victories yet in regards to pounds lost but I did begin an online food diary that points out all of my ugly habits. I've begun a teeny tiny exercise plan that I build on gradually. I have also have been keeping my dates with veggies everyday.

My blogging today actually got me a feature today my Socamom in the 10 by 10. Check it out here… http://socamom.com/soca/en/blogging/126-10-blogs-… . This was a result of me challenging myself to write 31 days straight about my daily thoughts in honor of my upcoming 31st bday. I took my own challenge and this is what happened!

Yay me. I'm still pushin!

10/03/2012 at 4:17 PM

Great job as always Jess!

• GrandCentral

10/04/2012 at 12:50 AM

Just keep at it Jess. Believe me I know exactly how you feel. I gained an insane amount of weight a couple of years ago and just finally am getting it off. Its a long road with weight loss. You are doing it the right way — start small and build up. Don't look at the scale!!!! I learned the hard way. Get a measuring tape and start there. Inches mean more than pounds. I'm going to round up some of my favorite site for you and share them next week. I have a bunch that I read regularly that help keep me focus.

I am going to check out your blog sometime this week and the feature you referenced above.

Keep it up Jess!!! You can do it.

• jestingandthings

10/04/2012 at 1:03 AM

A constant ray of sunshine GC. You encouragement helps more than you know.

We are in this together!!!

• GrandCentral

10/09/2012 at 2:45 PM

Yes we are! Glad, I could be of some help!

• iluvwhoiluv

10/04/2012 at 10:38 AM

Just remind yourself that a key component to weight loss is a combination of eating right as well as exercise, and a lot of it does rely heavily on just changing one's eating habits. Applaud the small steps while making strides towards the bigger ones.

I will definitely check out your blog.

• Jessssssssss

10/04/2012 at 11:05 AM

I'm not giving up. I like quick results. This is a lesson for me in long term goals and rewards.

Thanks for your support and please let me know what you think of my blog.

11. GrandCentral

10/04/2012 at 12:10 AM

I'm late!

Last week was a good week building the business. My entrepreneur boot-camp is trucking along and I am continuing to improve my pitch. I attended this funky networking event last week in my neighborhood. A colleague in my boot-camp invited me because my potential competitor was there. Honestly, I got there and was a little weirded out and almost left, but something told me to stay and I didn't. I made two key contacts and also figured out partnership strategies for the company. I think I also may have come up with the name of my company and adopted our mission statement based on that name. I checked everything out and the domain and all that good stuff are available. I also decided on an alternative space to start, since my dream space now has a buldozer on it. However, after Thursday, I haven't had a chance to do any of the work I planned to do and the week is slipping away from me this week. However, this friday and saturday I am attending a huge conference in NYC for black female entrepreneurs. I am pretty excited. I just found out one of my favorite politicians is giving the keynote, so I am going to attempt to push up on him :)

The 30 Second Pitch (from last week, sorry I didn't explain) – The concept of the 30 second pitch is that if you are a promoting anything, whether its a business or yourself, you should always have a pitch that you could give in 30 seconds should you be positioned in an elevator with someone important who could possible help you. So for entrepreneurs you need to define you business in 30 seconds in case you end up in an elevator with russell simmons and you overhear him say he is looking to invest – you can swoop in.

Time has become a detriment to me and i've decided that I need to do something. I'm working longer hours and my role is expanding at work (a good thing) and I need to re-prioritize a few things. I'm testing out a schedule this week and hope to have it locked down by next week. I am also scaling back on my outside commitments. I tell myself that there are not enough hours in the day, but there are enough, I'm just not utilizing them effectively.

My novel writing has taken a pause. I need to figure out how to get it in. I will just need to do a little reorg. Next week is about reorg and getting a set schedule and system in place so that I can get all the necessary things I need to get done.

• jestingandthings

10/04/2012 at 1:06 AM

Time mgmt is key. But it looks like you are making remarkable strides twds certain goals.

You are capable and equipped with all of the necessary resources. YOU CAN DO IT!

10/04/2012 at 5:43 AM

If you need any time management tips with writing I think I can help you.

Sounds like you got a lot of great things on the go! Keep grinding!

p.s. Thanks for the info on the 30 second pitch

• Jessssssssss

10/04/2012 at 11:12 AM

Right the 30 second pitch information is the business! Already put that in my pocket.

• GrandCentral

10/09/2012 at 2:49 PM

I went to a conference last week that included one day of a pitch bootcamp. WHOA!!! Wait till I tell you about that one tomorrow. I watched 4 people do the 10 minute pitch to venture capitalists for funding. It was banana's.

• GrandCentral

10/09/2012 at 2:42 PM

Please save me! I need help. I thought it was something as simple as creating a calendar and that is not working. Apparently, I have no clue what I am doing. I recently convinced myself that I need to buy an iPad to help with writing more frequently. Something tells me a purchase of the sort is not the solution :)

• iluvwhoiluv

10/04/2012 at 10:39 AM

I am loving your strides! Claps happily!

• GrandCentral

10/09/2012 at 2:49 PM

Thank You! I am trying really hard.

12. Pingback: Week 4 | Comedy jones