The 52 Week Pledge: Find Your PRODUCTIVE PLACE [Week Six]

There’s ONE assumption I’m going to make about your life in the city or town that you live and work in: You have a daily schedule that you adhere to, and while you are chasing your dream, you are also juggling a full life around it. That may mean going to a building to work your 9-5, or attending classes at your school, or even adhering to other frequent commitments that cause you to run all over the place. All of these actions AND places have identities specific to you. For example, your office can become a place of non-stop work and subsequent stress, and that’s how you FEEL there. Also, your school can become a place of fun and socializing which can make it impossible to focus or be overtly serious there. Although these are just basic examples, one key to successfully chasing your dream is FINDING YOUR PRODUCTIVE PLACE.

Here is the ORIGINAL PLEDGE POSThttp://www.thisisyourconscience.com/2012/08/tiyc-presents-the-52-week-pledge-i-challenge-you-to-get-closer-to-your-dreams/

So many people really think that all they need to do is go to the library, put their head down and bang out all their work and they will be GOOD. But the truth is, that specific library or libraries in general may NOT be YOUR productive place, which means you are effectively just wasting your time. The trick to getting things done, starts with finding the right PLACE to be focused on getting things done.

If there is one thing I’ve personally learned from working from home, it’s that your home can be the WORST place to try and be productive. If you have a lot of people coming and going, or constantly bugging you, you will never find that lucid mind-state needed to give your goals the adequate energy and focus required to complete them. Also, your home has a FEEL already [all of ours do] and if that FEEL is not conducive to a clear and open thought-process, you are in A LOT of trouble. I knew my house had too many distractions and just an overall VIBE of procrastination to it, so I had to find a PRODUCTIVE PLACE.

For me personally, I found solace in a coffee shop near my house that is virtually empty during the day, has a good wifi connection and has employees not constantly badgering me to keep buying stuff. THIS has become my PRODUCTIVE PLACE. I encourage EVERYONE to find one, because when you do it limits the amount of actual time you need to commit to your goals, because your energy is so focused it streamlines your work. I encourage you all to think outside of the box when finding your productive place, because it is SO crucial to find somewhere where your mind is free to work at its best, or no matter HOW much time you put aside, you will ALWAYS
struggle to be productive.

Stay focused.

10/10/2012 at 4:00 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, How Was Your Previous Week Chasing Your Goals? What Are You Looking To Complete For NEXT Week?

Also, Where Is YOUR "Productive Place"?

• GrandCentral

10/10/2012 at 11:37 PM

P.S. What city is the picture above of? I love the sunset.

10/11/2012 at 1:51 AM

That's a really good question..I'm gonna see if I can find out..

10/10/2012 at 4:03 AM

To start, my week last week was exhausting and I went back to running on 0 sleep which was not good. I need to start focusing on QUALITY over just getting things completed, because I don't want to be a good writer, or good radio host, I want to be GREAT and that means I need to be more focused on getting rest and not working half asleep.

This week I'm going to push the Battle Of The Sexes event, promote my Ebook harder and also write really GOOD articles. I also want to get further into launching my freelance writing career.

• GrandCentral

10/10/2012 at 11:03 PM

I thought I was bad, but it sounds like you have me topped. I think on average I get 5-6 hours a night. How in the world do you do it? My brain literally shuts down at 12.01am. I can't think and can barely put sentences together properly.You sound like me, you operate on the almighty to do list and feel it necessary to get everything crossed off. It will all come together. It's really hard, trust me I know.

10/11/2012 at 1:52 AM

Yeah 5-6 hours would be a real blessing at this point, but sometimes its hard to sleep knowing you have things to do.

3. @Funms

10/10/2012 at 4:34 AM

OMGosh! You wrote this post for me!!!! I have been battling with productivity due to a lack of my productive space. I was still whining to a friend yesterday about how I have a brain block and I am slowly losing motivation because there is so much chaos and noise around me and procrastination was becoming the order of my day. This post has really kicked me in the ass and I have no excuse any more. Thank you

This last week was a little slow, I was mentally exhausted and so didn't get to do most things. I planned on creating my vision board but I procrastinated. I hope to finish it before this week ends. Healthy eating and fitness lifestyle is going well. There is so much information out there and I am learning so much about eating right and weight loss. I am happy everytime I step on my scale. lol

As a step towards reaching my entrepreneurial goals, I applied for a Women in Business scholarship by Goldman Sachs and I will know in a month if I get it so prayers and fingers crossed.

Make sure you get your much needed rest because your productivity declines when you are physically exhausted and sleep deprived,

Here's to a better week for us all.

10/10/2012 at 4:41 AM

Have you tried out different places to see if you can get focused better there?

• @Funms

10/10/2012 at 4:45 AM

I am already making a list of places I can try out after work.

10/10/2012 at 5:13 AM

Great work! Please report back and let us know how it goes!

• GrandCentral

10/10/2012 at 11:14 PM

Good Luck on the GS scholarship!!

#TeamVisionBoard I want to hear how it goes and hear what you end up with on your board.

10/10/2012 at 6:18 AM

Well I just this minute got back from the gym and that's going very well. I'm also getting notes for the exam I want to take in June so that's coming along as well. I am currently in the process of upgrading my blog as well but that's a challenge as I'm not a tech person but to see these things move off of the paper or my mind into reality is very soothing and I am proud of myself.

My productive place is wherever I am really because I write most of my articles on my phone and in all the weirdest places you can think of. The blogs I get most responses to are those I wrote at work to be honest. I'm glad to see we are all stepping up and chasing

10/10/2012 at 8:29 AM

Hey I got a lot of info to send you about your upcoming venture so expect some long ass emails today!

• petersburgh

10/10/2012 at 8:44 AM

No problem and thanksSent from my BlackBerry® wireless device from LIME.

5. Bee

10/10/2012 at 9:05 AM

I was JUST thinking about this last night. I'm definitely going to have to find a spot outside of home to write and work on all my "CEO of Bee, Inc." stuff. If it's not the TV, it's the phone, or my husband, or the fact that I should try folding my laundry, or that I might as well just start dinner while I work this idea out in my mind…your physical space is a clear reflection of your mental, so I need a calm but comfy area with minimal distraction. I'm on the hunt.

Last week was great for my goals. A pitch I sent to a health and wellness online publication got accepted. I found out a piece I wrote will be published in a Chicago/San Fran based magazine. I also found out that my blog '83 To Infinity is a finalist in the Black Weblog Awards Best Int'l and Best Writing In A Blog categories! So the week ended on a high note! If you want to shoot me a vote, you can do it here: http://blackweblogawards.com/vote-here/

I'm hoping for some movements on the 9-5 job front. Expecting some interview callbacks, and will be applying to some more jobs to expedite my escape plan. Hope everyone makes some gains this week!

10/10/2012 at 10:29 AM

Great goals! You didn't mention being on the BOTS panel and getting to potentially show your more ignant side!

• GrandCentral

10/10/2012 at 11:11 PM

Congrats on Black Weblogs.

On your 9-5 have you made contact with someone to follow up with? If you have, be sure to send them a quick note reiterating your interest in whatever you applied for, or interviewed for. Also, LinkedIn — use it, make it your new best friend! It will help you get your foot into doors. It's also a great recruting tool. My company uses it a lot now to recruit talent.

6. Lia

10/10/2012 at 2:46 PM

Mine is the coffee shop too! There's just something about the atmosphere, probably the fact that there are usually two or three other people who are sitting at their computers too. Helps me to remember to stay focused when I see that other people are focused.

So this past week I tried to cut my pet expenses down. Didn't have a specific amount in mind, but I'm glad I didn't. Instead of spending $40 each week to get them both baths I just did it myself. But I am not even about to try to give them haircuts lol, but instead of spending $200 each month I'll only have to spend $80. Not bad in my book. And I spoke with a holistic vet about making their food and got some great tips. I was able to buy about 2 weeks worth of stuff for about $15, so I figure instead of spending $100 I'll only be spending somewhere around the $30-$40 range each month.

I read somewhere that it's good for everyone to have a secondary job, a side hustle if you will. For this next week I want to test out a couple different ventures to see which (or if any) of those would be best suited for me. I'm hoping that in doing this I will be able to stash away the extra money.

• GrandCentral

10/10/2012 at 11:08 PM

Great Job Lia. I actually have taken a page out of your book and decided to buckle down on my own finances and started tracking with Mint again. I am tracking this whole month and then I will review in November and see where I can tighten up.

If you are able to accomodate a second job, go for it. Make sure that it's something you are passionate about and something you will love doing.

10/11/2012 at 1:53 AM

Good work! Every cent does end up counting in the end.

7. GrandCentral

10/10/2012 at 11:36 PM

Last week was pretty cool. I attended the Focus100 Conference in NYC, it was beyond helpful. I made a bunch of new business contacts and got to watch a full 10-minute investor pitch. It was crazy. I realized I would die if I had to do one at this stage, so I have quite a bit of work to do. The great thing about it was the venture capitalist actually gave feedback to each person that pitch. Invaluable! I have quite a bit of work to do on the startup. Still not working on my novel :( Hopefully this weekend, I can do something. I have two books I want to start reading this weekend. Hopefully the reading will spark my creative genius and get me writing.

Productive Place. Get out of my head Lincoln! In 2010 while I was studing for the LSAT's I used to go to a grocery store a few blocks from my apartment, that had a makeshift cafe. I would take my laptop and books. I got so much work done there. Just last week I was complaining about not getting as much work done as I anticipated, and I started to think that maybe I need to start going back to the grocery store on Saturdays for a couple of hours in the morning to get stuff done.

10/11/2012 at 1:55 AM

Yeah I've been studying for the LSAT's for a minute now, and you really need a quiet place to think.

Great work on your achievements and I'm always here to help provide writing tips.

8. L Rose

10/11/2012 at 1:02 AM

I have been mia the last few weeks. After quitting my job, I had visions of sleeping in, going to the gym and job hunting. However my body and family had other plans. I finally said no to family request for errands which had completely consumed my days and healthy again. The universe sure has a way of testing you, I get sick right when the health insurance goes bye bye.

The time I have spent home, I get sucked into the black hole that is my couch and waste hours of my day. This also made me feel a little depressed, realizing leaving the house is a must for my mental health. During the summer the Brooklyn promenade was my most productive and creative place. Since its getting cold need to find an indoor space. The water is calming, but looking for an artistic space, something to help inspire. At my previous job, having to report at 7 am shifted the mornings/early afternoon to my most productive times.

Just started a part-time gig, going from corporate to nonprofit, big change but I think a good learning experience. My goal, on my off days maintain the same sleep and work schedule. Working on consistency.

10/11/2012 at 1:56 AM

The only advice I can give you as someone who has recently left their job, is replace your old schedule with a new one ASAP. Don't get caught up in the comfort of the couch!

We're all here to help so holla at any of us if there's any help or insight we can provide..

9. Eclectically_Me

10/11/2012 at 9:20 AM

I'm so glad this post was in my inbox today. Boy oh boy this really shed some light on things. "Home" is definitely not my productive place. With an 18 month old running around I find it extremely difficult most days to be 100% productive. I'm usually somewhere between 50-75% productive while in the home. Needless to say, I need to do better.

I'm definitely to going to look into the possibility of someone looking after the baby for a few hours maybe 3 days out of the week. If I can be 100% productive at least 3 days out of the week, that is far better than being 50-75% on most days.
    Thanks so much for this post!

10/12/2012 at 4:09 AM

My pleasure! Keep checking in every Wednesday because we all want to know how your progress is coming along!

10. Moi

10/12/2012 at 12:32 AM

My productive place is at home, in my room at 3 in the morning I get so much work done around that time, it is crazy. But I cant motivate myself to get up at 3 every morning.

These past 2 weeks, I have started again with my exercise and with the diplomacy courses. But I feel that since I only have open courses with no assignments to hand in, I can procrastinate. That is why I am trying to enroll in a long distance course to get my degree.

10/12/2012 at 4:10 AM

Great work Moi…please keep me in the loop on how that long distance course goes, because I would love to do that myself.

11. Pingback: Week 5 | Comedy jones