The VP Debate Was No Where NEAR A Draw – Joe Biden CLEARLY Won

After watching Joe Biden do to Paul Ryan, what Barack Obama SHOULD have done to Mitt Romney, it was clear that the Dems plan of letting “Joe be Joe” was the smartest move they’ve made since debate season began. Obama’s dismal performance last week not only cost the Dems the opportunity to wrap the election up early, but it gave the Republicans an opening to make a HUGE surge in the polls and strongly contest Barack in some key battleground states. But as I prepared to turn off CNN and head to the gym for a late-night workout, I had the displeasure of hearing Wolf Blitzer and some other IDIOTS state that the debate was truly a DRAW – what in the HELL were THEY watching?

So before I could grab my sneakers and bounce, I sat back down amazed at what I was hearing through my TV speakers, and proceeded to listen to the pundits explanations. Apparently, the consensus amongst the “draw” crowd is that Biden was STRONG on all the issues – but he acted immature, overly-aggressive and condescending to Ryan, which is enough to turn off many undecided voters from supporting Obama and the Democrats. As much as I think that’s a terrible analysis of the debate, that’s not even what I’m taking exception with – it’s the idea that Biden’s clear, concise and sharp perspectives can be taken as anything OTHER than a positive by ANYONE with functioning brain cells. If your takeaway from Biden’s laughs, incredulous facial expressions and fact-checking interruptions is that he was “too rude” to get your support, then you will prove the ONE thing I’ve always known about undecided voters LATE in elections – they’re IDIOTS.

The worst part about watching CNN’s debate coverage is their corny-ass political-life support meter that tracks how undecideds FEEL at any given point during the 90-minute discussion. The reason I can avoid it like ads on Youtube videos is because of how ridiculous and anti-political I KNOW these people are. Less than 5% [which may be too generous] of undecided voters actually have a truly SUBSTANTIVE reason to have not made a decision yet, while the other 95% are jackasses who don’t realize these men did not DESCEND onto Earth in January 2012, and they ALL have a LONG and extensive history of policy decisions and socio-political leanings. But to any undecided voter who WON’T vote for Obama because they felt Biden was “too mean” – you’re a MORON.

What exactly is a respected, intelligent, representative of the people SUPPOSE to do when someone is lying RIGHT to his face, expressing made-up statistics and creating anti-intellectual FALSEHOODS? Be nice and polite and calm? Like Obama did to Romney last week, effectively COSTING himself the debate?

HELL NO.

He SHOULD fact-check his opponents BS right as it’s coming out of his ignorant mouth. He SHOULD talk over the factual inaccuracies being propagated by his adversary so it has NO TIME to stick in people’s minds and eventually develop into an incorrect “fact”. He SHOULD laugh every time his opponent makes a FOOLISH argument, because it shouldn’t even be given the respect of demure and serious consideration. If I was in a debate with Neil deGrasse Tyson talking about global warming is impossible because I still have to wear a heavy jacket in the winter, he SHOULD laugh RIGHT in my damn face and cut my stupid-ass point off before some other poor sucker in the audience has the ability to internalize my ignorance as a factual possibility – EXACLY what Biden did.

For example: Paul Ryan was advocating US Corporations get their effective tax rate DROPPED so they could pay less tax and have more cash in hand to create more jobs [a verifiably FLAWED supply-side economics argument], and then he used Canada as an example and threw out the number 15% to represent our countries “great” corporate tax rate, compared to Obama who wants corporations to pay around 30%. This was absolute BS that made me damn-near throw my remote at the TV screen and tweet in ANGER, because it’s a flat-out LIE.

In 2012, the Canadian government dropped the FEDERAL corporate tax rate to 15% BUT the income and the combined federal and provincial corporate tax rates range from 25% to 31% depending on the province in which the business resides. PLUS we have a national sales tax that ALL business are required to pay. If Biden cut him off during this LIE or smiled incredulously at his BS, the fact that you would make it a discussion about simple niceties and polite behaviour is STUPID and can’t be considered – not in an election THIS important with THIS much on the line.

Props to Biden for calling Ryan out on his MALARKY.

10/12/2012 at 6:17 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, Who Do YOU Think Won The Debate? How Do You Feel About Joe Bidens "Antics"??

• Paul B.

10/12/2012 at 9:39 AM

Easily Biden. He showed fire and an unwillingness to watch outright lies be force fed to the people and a refusal to just be passive. He could be seen as being overly aggressive in his responses, but considering everything that's happened lately, I'd rather see that than see him lying down in the name of being polite.

10/12/2012 at 2:24 PM

EXACTLY! The Dems have stood by and allowed lies to be spread right in their face. It had to stop eventually.

• iluvwhoiluv

10/12/2012 at 3:08 PM

I thought Joe was going to blow a gasket at one point (felt like going out there and handing him a drink stronger than water), but he called Ryan out when it was time. He was assertive and aggressive, something that was needed and exposed Ryan for lacking substance and at times, just flat out lying. Joe nipped that in the bud!

10/12/2012 at 7:27 AM

My friend made the same point that CNN did and even during the debate, I was texting and told that person that Biden needs to chill for a bit and put down his finger.

My friend stated that the dems got what they wanted, a smack down from Biden while the repubs will say that Biden was over the top a bit and I will actually agree with that.

Now Obama should in no way be what Biden was to Ryan. He's a black man and doesn't want to come off as angry. Something that Biden can afford but Obama cannot. What Obama should do in this next debate is show up, be tactful, yet firm on his stances.

Biden was a tad condescending to Ryan but Ryan needed to understand that he was debating a man that is older, wiser, and way more experienced. Ryan got handed his ass the way a father does a son who is out of line.

I underestimated Biden but am glad that he showed up and gave a powerful debate. Biden won for the people that were already decided in this election but he isn't running for President, Obama is the one that holds the cards in this election.

I don't think there will be a big surge but I do believe that the base is now waiting for Obama to give the debate that we are expecting from him. I don't want Obama to come out all commando but I do want him to show some passion, use simple language, and speak to the American people. All points that Biden did last night.

Obama needs to show that the VP isn't the only one that can keep and get the base energized.

• GrandCentral

10/12/2012 at 11:10 AM

I was there with you. At one point I was like "Ok Joe Calm Down." "Okay, get him now." – BOOM! LOL!

These are the things that you take into consideration during the vetting process to select a running mate. However, this isn't the first time we've seen the administration implore this tactic. It's been an ongoing thing and I support it 100%. I'm not giving President Obama a pass for last week, but this is Joe Biden's job. Joe Biden fully understands the dynamics of this President's character and knows that there is stuff he can say that the President can't say. They work well together.

10/12/2012 at 11:28 AM

Wow we actually agree on something political?!? Let me write down this date :-)

I think that Biden definitely gave the base a breathe of fresh air but Obama needs to come in and seal the deal. He can't use Biden's tactics but he can definitely be more direct and actually show up.

• GrandCentral

10/12/2012 at 1:58 PM

LOL!!! It's not that bad. That's the power of debate.

• Lia

10/12/2012 at 1:33 PM

"Now Obama should in no way be what Biden was to Ryan. He's a black man and doesn't want to come off as angry. Something that Biden can afford but Obama cannot."

The unfortunate truth of the matter…

10/12/2012 at 2:46 PM

I'm in the small percentage here, but the "Angry Black Man" label is the LAST thing Barack should be worried about. He gave his wife a pound last year and Fox called it a "Terrorist Fist Bump" so he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. He needs to focus on regaining all the support from his SUPPORTERS, and people who support him don't give a Flying Frig about the ABM label.

10/12/2012 at 3:02 PM

You just said it "the people who support him" and what about those that are on the fence. He can't come at Romney the way that Biden did. Biden's showing wasn't "presidential" it was "vice-president esque." Obama needs to be direct and tactful.

3. pe.riche.

10/12/2012 at 10:27 AM

The fact that some people are upset that Biden was "rude" or "immature" is such a contradiction, because when President Obama was calm and cool, he was labeled as not being aggressive enough. So which is it? Are the Dems too passive (Obama) or too aggressive (Biden)?

The fact of the matter is, Biden won. Maybe his delivery ruffled a few feathers (I personally love the fact that Biden's character and demeanor are consistent in any given situation), but the facts were always the main factor in Biden's debate. He didn't let a single lie uttered by Ryan go undisputed, and he actually answered each of the moderator's questions. When Meredith would probe Ryan for specificities regarding how and when the Romney/Ryan Administration would lower the unemployment rate below 6.0%; how close Iran is to having nuclear arms; Ryan didn't have a single solid answer.

10/12/2012 at 10:48 AM

This is politics. No one ever said politics was rational. Attitude matters and one party can get away with being assholes while the other one can't.

10/12/2012 at 2:47 PM

EXACTLY! PREACH!

4. GrandCentral

10/12/2012 at 10:43 AM

Biden, Biden, Biden, Biden!!!!!! I was literally on the edge of my seat last evening. The Right Wing and Fox News can go "F" themselves. I hate to come off sickly partisan, but I've had enough of them. I look at the Presidency and an entire administration like a family, you fuck with one of us, you fuck with all of us. Joe had to watch Obama get his tail handed to him last week by Romney, so he handled this like any of us would have. You are not going to beat my brother down and not expect me to bring it back to you. Plain and Simple. The office of the Presidency and way different than the seat of a Congressman. The President represents an ENTIRE NATION. A Congressman represents a couple hundred thousand people in a damn DISTRICT. So anyone who attempts to compare the Romney to Biden's behavior and slap the hand of one and not the other, I really have no words for that person.

Ryan couldn't hold a candle to Joe Biden. This is a man who was elected to public office at age 29 and to the US Senate at age 31. Joe Biden is 69 years old and has a great wealth of knowledge and experience. He was also privy to information and decisions that span decades. People forget Biden was Chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee in the US Senate prior to his Vice Presidency. Joe has a certain gravitas and understanding of the issues that you can't get from being a congressman for 12 years, a Senator for 4 years or even a President for 3.5 years. Biden hit back with actual facts and held Ryan's feet to the fire. Best of all — he looked right into the camera and asked the American people simple questions that forced them to think.

10/12/2012 at 2:49 PM

CO-SIGN! What some people refer to as Biden's condescension, I call EDUCATING the IGNORANT.

• iluvwhoiluv

10/12/2012 at 3:10 PM

Preach on that Grand Central!

10/12/2012 at 12:49 PM

Ryan never answered a question directly. They were both asked about the negative tone of the election ads and if they felt embarassed about the mud slinging. Biden acknowledged it and even condemned it but Ryan never addressed it, in fact he responded to the question by attacking Obama even more!

I couldn't believe it and none of the pundits called him out on his evasiveness. Also I like how CNN doesn't bring up the fact that Romney was rude and aggressive in his debate. The moderator couldn't control him and Mitt even threatened to eliminate the guy's job. Biden wasn't out of line at all.

Side note: I watched CNN too and was it me or did the female pundit next to Van Jones seem like she had an empty bottle of Ciroc under her seat….she looked drunk as hell

10/12/2012 at 2:49 PM

YUP! She Kept Slinking Back In Her Chair With The "Fuck This Shit" Face!

• iluvwhoiluv

10/12/2012 at 3:11 PM

rofl….MistaHarsh

6. Lia

10/12/2012 at 1:43 PM

I refused to watch the debate last night so it was a little bittersweet when I heard how well Joe Biden had done. Didn't wanna get my hopes up like I did last time. But it was great watching it in the middle of the night knowing what was to come.

I have always loved Joe Biden (well, since I knew who he was lol). His smile can make him look like a condescending jackass, but it cracks me up every time. You can say what you want about how he delivers his messages, but as he said, "At least he means what he says." The man knows his stuff and the Dems needed him to do what he did last night. It actually gave some of us some hope and a little breathing room as we wait on Obama to be the man we know he is in the next debate.

A woman on MSNBC said that you can tell that Joe Biden won the debate because the worst thing that conservatives could talk about was his delivery. That says it all to me…

10/12/2012 at 2:50 PM

CO-SIGN THE LAST SENTENCE!

• Paul B.

10/14/2012 at 8:53 PM

That last sentence says it all.