Parents Of A Child Who Survived The Sandy Hook Shootings Are SUING The State?! WTF?!

When I first heard about the children being slaughtered in Newtown, CT, my heart instantly went out to all the parents who had kids in that school. CNN was blaring news about the tragedy all day, and I’m sure MANY of the parents learned about the shooting from the TV before they were notified by the school. Hell, they found out about the tragedy before anyone knew if it was their child who was still breathing or lying dead in a classroom. That is the type of mental strain I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. To the parents who lost a young child, it’s clear that there’s nothing in the world that they would want more than to have their little loved one back, and to the families who narrowly escaped losing a child, there’s nothing they would want more than to have the memories of that fateful day permanently erased from their kids’ minds. Well, except for ONE family, who decided 100 million dollars would be enough – at the expense of the state.

The parents of a 6 year old girl who was at Sandy Hook the day it was shot up, have decided to sue everyone from the State Board of Education to the Connecticut Department of Education, and the State Commissioner of Education for not providing their daughter with a safe place to learn, failing to determine whether the local Newtown Board of Education provided a safe setting, and allegedly not pushing the school to create an emergency response plan. The claim also states that the young girl “has sustained emotional and psychological trauma and injury, the nature and extent of which are yet to be determined.” And even though their daughter was able to walk away from this tragedy while 26 families had to bury a loved one, they felt that being thankful for their daughters life is NOT enough – they need to get paid.

Well, let me say this is no uncertain terms: F*^K them. F*^K them for believing that this tragedy should result in a monetary reward. F*^K them for trying to gauge the state for 100 million dollars and not even having the common decency to AT LEAST make it a class action lawsuit by all the families affected (especially those who lost their child). And F*^K them for perpetuating the ridiculous ideology that, even in FREAK, crazy accidents, there’s always someone who deserves exorbitant amounts of blame for an act that was essentially an unprecedented tragedy.

I understand when a family feels the need to sue because of incompetence or negligence, but whatever happened to ‘completely unforeseen circumstances?’ Hell what happened to ‘Sh*t happens?’ Like I wrote on this site back in July after some douchebag tried to sue everyone in the wake of the Aurora Colorado shootings, our overly litigious society has F*^KED-UP our humanity.

The fact that the family wants 100 million for themselves is disgusting. Instead of suing the state, how about protesting that they donate 100 million to hospitals who assist children with severe mental and emotional issues? How about using 100 million to create a charity responsible for advocating the safety of children in schools? Or how about you just hug your beautiful 6 year old daughter, thank God that she wasn’t taken from you in the shooting, and commit to loving her each and every day while staying OUT of courtrooms.

01/03/2013 at 2:17 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, do you believe this couple has a fair case? Do they deserve to be awarded the 100 million?

2. Abu Husain

01/03/2013 at 2:48 AM

GTFOHWTBS… how in the world is it the state's fault this happened? It was a random act of violence that no one in the school district had knowledge of. What were they supposed to do? It's not everyday you have a nut job rub up in a school shooting innocent people.

01/03/2013 at 7:26 AM

If they wanted to sue for the amount of therapy their child needs, I could try to understand but 100 million? HELL NO

4. Roxx

01/03/2013 at 8:23 AM

100 MILLION??! LOL thats laughable.. and it isnt even a class action?! AND their daughter is alive and well?!? I think the state should counter sue for wasting everybody's damn time and causing more strain of taxpayers money for dealing with their nonsense.

5. nolabels

01/03/2013 at 10:59 AM

Wow, I am so floored by this! First off, the child is one of the ones who survived. Secondly, to not even involve the other parents, especially the ones who lost their children. On top of that, for 100 million? I understand the child may be traumatized by what happened; it would be very shocking if the child wasn't. But how could the school have predicted what was going to happen? In fact, more lives would have been lost if it wasn't for members of the faculty trying to protect the children. This lawsuit rubs salt in the wounds of those parents who don't have their children to hug or kiss, see them grow up, and achieve success and their own children. I just don't feel like it's right…period.

6. GrandCentral

01/03/2013 at 12:22 PM

Ahhh Lincoln. I’m cringing because I know you don’t mean anything that you’ve just said above or mean to appear insensitive. Let me start off by saying that this is a very sensitive subject matter. I have not had the opportunity to thoroughly review everything regarding the story of this law suit. I do see that lindaskindiva states that the suit has been withdrawn, but for the sake of giving my two cents on Lincoln’s post, let’s say that the suit is still on.

I want you all to know that this is NOT about the $100M. This is about forcing a change in the way things exist in their current state. This lawsuit is about forcing the hands off our legislatures to enact control gun. I didn’t say take away the 2nd amendment, so please don’t even consider attacking me or accusing me of that. This is about getting a system in place that will once and for all out an end to unregistered/registered guns in the hands of the wrong people. The shooters suffered from clinically diagnosed mentality illnesses and his mother felt it appropriate to have guns in their home and around him. Let’s start with the dollar figure and parties named – $100M is a perfect number, because it has the ability to bankrupt the State of Connecticut. This is actually the perfect case in my opinion for the State of Connecticut, School Boards, victims and their families, to play ball with. If crafted correctly, this could force the hands of those who’ve pledge blood (ours not their own) and allegiance to the NRA and other gun lobbyists. So believe me, it’s not about the money, but about an offensive enough dollar amount to get people to understand just how serious this is. Why not a class action?? A class action says that this IS about the money and not forcing change. Who better to be the face of this change than a young victim who escaped the horror and can tell their story. It’s not exploiting the matter. To me this is taking the life that was spared to save other lives.

There needs to be smarter checks in place regarding our gun laws. The right can stay but we need to ensure that the right is not abused costing unnecessary lives.

7. GrandCentral

01/03/2013 at 12:29 PM

I accidentally left out a line. All the parties named in this suit will not be bankrupt, because all acknowledge the issue and will pool together to bring down those blocking changes to our gun laws.