Parents Of A Child Who Survived The Sandy Hook Shootings Are SUING The State?! WTF?!

When I first heard about the children being slaughtered in Newtown, CT, my heart instantly went out to all the parents who had kids in that school. CNN was blaring news about the tragedy all day, and I’m sure MANY of the parents learned about the shooting from the TV before they were notified by the school. Hell, they found out about the tragedy before anyone knew if it was their child who was still breathing or lying dead in a classroom. That is the type of mental strain I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. To the parents who lost a young child, it’s clear that there’s nothing in the world that they would want more than to have their little loved one back, and to the families who narrowly escaped losing a child, there’s nothing they would want more than to have the memories of that fateful day permanently erased from their kids’ minds. Well, except for ONE family, who decided 100 million dollars would be enough – at the expense of the state.

The parents of a 6 year old girl who was at Sandy Hook the day it was shot up, have decided to sue everyone from the State Board of Education to the Connecticut Department of Education, and the State Commissioner of Education for not providing their daughter with a safe place to learn, failing to determine whether the local Newtown Board of Education provided a safe setting, and allegedly not pushing the school to create an emergency response plan. The claim also states that the young girl “has sustained emotional and psychological trauma and injury, the nature and extent of which are yet to be determined.” And even though their daughter was able to walk away from this tragedy while 26 families had to bury a loved one, they felt that being thankful for their daughters life is NOT enough – they need to get paid.

Well, let me say this is no uncertain terms: F*^K them. F*^K them for believing that this tragedy should result in a monetary reward. F*^K them for trying to gauge the state for 100 million dollars and not even having the common decency to AT LEAST make it a class action lawsuit by all the families affected (especially those who lost their child). And F*^K them for perpetuating the ridiculous ideology that, even in FREAK, crazy accidents, there’s always someone who deserves exorbitant amounts of blame for an act that was essentially an unprecedented tragedy.

I understand when a family feels the need to sue because of incompetence or negligence, but whatever happened to ‘completely unforeseen circumstances?’ Hell what happened to ‘Sh*t happens?’ Like I wrote on this site back in July after some douchebag tried to sue everyone in the wake of the Aurora Colorado shootings, our overly litigious society has F*^KED-UP our humanity.

The fact that the family wants 100 million for themselves is disgusting. Instead of suing the state, how about protesting that they donate 100 million to hospitals who assist children with severe mental and emotional issues? How about using 100 million to create a charity responsible for advocating the safety of children in schools? Or how about you just hug your beautiful 6 year old daughter, thank God that she wasn’t taken from you in the shooting, and commit to loving her each and every day while staying OUT of courtrooms.

01/03/2013 at 2:17 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, do you believe this couple has a fair case? Do they deserve to be awarded the 100 million?

• lindaskindiva

01/03/2013 at 8:13 AM

I find this blog to be more judgementally offensive than the proposed lawsuit which btw has been withdrawn by Mr. Pinsky. I do not believe that ANYONE has the right from the comfort of their non traumatized environment to chastise the ANY parents who are experiencing not only the suffering of their child but also their community. The purpose of a lawsuit is to also ensure that due diligence is performed, something that tends to often fall by the wayside as headlines change. One could have made the argument that the victims of Hurricane Katrina had no right to sue the government over an "act of God" as well. The Columbine shootings spawned over 16 federal lawsuits which were subsequently dismissed but my point is that we live in America and if this is what is needed for these parents to get closure so be it. Why are YOU so salty about it? Is your nickle in this quarter?

• GrandCentral

01/03/2013 at 12:27 PM

Yeah, I agree with you. Ironically, the lawsuit and strategy of the attorney's is already working the way they need it to. This is about tipping the hands of those who've forgotten about the innocent lives that are lost in our country annually, to gun violence. This lawsuit is NOT about the money.

01/03/2013 at 2:23 PM

If it wasn't about the money, then sue the makers of the gun used. Sue the board that allowed guns in that house. Sue gun retailers. Sue the estate of the kid who murdered everyone.

Suing the school board is tasteless and tactless and disgusting.

• GrandCentral

01/03/2013 at 3:19 PM

Suing the gun makers or anyone you've named will do nothing. I recently saw a news report on gun retailers who've not only seen a dramatic spike in gun sales, but an even more dramatic spike in sales of the AR that was used. The gun maker has the money and legal man power to keep a case like this tied up for years to come. Even better they have the pockets deep enough to settle. I really don't think this family is looking for the actual money. They are looking for change that would come at the hands of the state. Or they are probably looking to possibly work this through the courts.

01/03/2013 at 6:19 PM

I still think suing the school board who lost employees weeks after burying them is classless. There's a million ways they could have used their efforts to make a statement, but this one was completely off the mark.

• Tonya Moore

01/03/2013 at 12:31 PM

It's Lincoln's site and blog and he has the RIGHT to write about his opinions on any subject he feels. Just like people have the RIGHT to sue for whatever they feel. He feels that it's a selfish act for this ONE family to sue and not include others as if their child is the ONLY child that suffered. And I completely agree with him. I have young children of my own and tears still well up in my eyes just thinking about that awful day.

If an incident like this every happen at my kid's school, I would be so happy that my child was not hurt and then seek counseling for my child. I would go to the school first for help and I'm pretty sure they are doing everything in their POWER to help ALL of the students to cope with what happened.

If all else fails and if there was any lawsuit involved, it needs to be all the families in the school involved. Not ONE family. That's completely selfish.

01/03/2013 at 2:21 PM

Not salty at all, but when someone can acutely explain to me how this lawsuit achieves any more good than the outrage and disgust of people affected, then I will sit down and listen. This lawsuit specifically blamed affected parties and THAT'S what I find particularly disgusting.

If you came into my house, and a suicide bomber ran into my yard and blew half the house up, severely injuring us both and your first thought was to call your lawyer and sue me, I would have absolutely ZERO respect for you. That's the society we live in. It's a fallacious ideology that the overly-litigiuous nature of American society only affects corporations and rich governments – it affects the citizens as well.

• GrandCentral

01/03/2013 at 4:04 PM

Firstly, I don’t disagree that we live in an over-litigious society, but I can’t say that this suit falls into that category. Roll with me for a minute here. This analogy may be a little off, but I think it could paint a picture and help you all to see what I am saying. In 2010 a bunch of Republican Governors had a sweep into the state houses. With their same party and in some cases opposition parties occupying the state legislatures, they began passing stringent off the wall laws that through several doors made abortion illegal in their states. Even though Roe is the law of the land and abortion is legal in the United States (just like owning a gun is legal in the United States) they put pen to paper. They did this to tip the hands of the courts. They hoped that through these laws they would force someone or multiple parties to sue, so they could work this issue through the courts and ultimately end up at the Supreme Court. I honestly think that this is what we are seeing here. Hell, I think Governor O’Malley is probably looking at this suit as a blessing in disguise. The school board is probably feeling the same way as well. Sometimes you have to take a hit for the team. Notice, they are suing over the circumstance that the gunman created for the victims. To me, this is a clear indication that this is a suit for good and not for greed. Read into everything and pick it apart. Imagine if this case could work its way through the courts and force the Supreme Court to make a decision or enact some change on the 2nd amendment. I truly think that’s what they are looking to do here.

Did I acutely explain myself :)

01/03/2013 at 6:22 PM

I can get the why, but it still missed the mark in my opinion. That's why I alluded to it being like suing the NYPD after 9/11. The school board doesn't deserve to be named in this suit even for the purpose of taking one for the team. The fact that other families weren't involved in a class action suit is troubling. And the fact that this suit is coming from a family who has their daughter alive to hug and hold while the families who lost someone get no recognition in this suit does not sit well with me.

• GrandCentral

01/03/2013 at 10:21 PM

Yay! I shifted you a tad bit on the the why. On the rest we can agree to disagree. I want you to keep an eye on this case. Let's see how things turn out.

2. Abu Husain

01/03/2013 at 2:48 AM

GTFOHWTBS… how in the world is it the state's fault this happened? It was a random act of violence that no one in the school district had knowledge of. What were they supposed to do? It's not everyday you have a nut job rub up in a school shooting innocent people.

01/03/2013 at 2:23 PM

Exactly.

01/03/2013 at 7:26 AM

If they wanted to sue for the amount of therapy their child needs, I could try to understand but 100 million? HELL NO

01/03/2013 at 2:23 PM

Agreed.

4. Roxx

01/03/2013 at 8:23 AM

100 MILLION??! LOL thats laughable.. and it isnt even a class action?! AND their daughter is alive and well?!? I think the state should counter sue for wasting everybody's damn time and causing more strain of taxpayers money for dealing with their nonsense.

5. nolabels

01/03/2013 at 10:59 AM

Wow, I am so floored by this! First off, the child is one of the ones who survived. Secondly, to not even involve the other parents, especially the ones who lost their children. On top of that, for 100 million? I understand the child may be traumatized by what happened; it would be very shocking if the child wasn't. But how could the school have predicted what was going to happen? In fact, more lives would have been lost if it wasn't for members of the faculty trying to protect the children. This lawsuit rubs salt in the wounds of those parents who don't have their children to hug or kiss, see them grow up, and achieve success and their own children. I just don't feel like it's right…period.

6. GrandCentral

01/03/2013 at 12:22 PM

Ahhh Lincoln. I’m cringing because I know you don’t mean anything that you’ve just said above or mean to appear insensitive. Let me start off by saying that this is a very sensitive subject matter. I have not had the opportunity to thoroughly review everything regarding the story of this law suit. I do see that lindaskindiva states that the suit has been withdrawn, but for the sake of giving my two cents on Lincoln’s post, let’s say that the suit is still on.

I want you all to know that this is NOT about the $100M. This is about forcing a change in the way things exist in their current state. This lawsuit is about forcing the hands off our legislatures to enact control gun. I didn’t say take away the 2nd amendment, so please don’t even consider attacking me or accusing me of that. This is about getting a system in place that will once and for all out an end to unregistered/registered guns in the hands of the wrong people. The shooters suffered from clinically diagnosed mentality illnesses and his mother felt it appropriate to have guns in their home and around him. Let’s start with the dollar figure and parties named – $100M is a perfect number, because it has the ability to bankrupt the State of Connecticut. This is actually the perfect case in my opinion for the State of Connecticut, School Boards, victims and their families, to play ball with. If crafted correctly, this could force the hands of those who’ve pledge blood (ours not their own) and allegiance to the NRA and other gun lobbyists. So believe me, it’s not about the money, but about an offensive enough dollar amount to get people to understand just how serious this is. Why not a class action?? A class action says that this IS about the money and not forcing change. Who better to be the face of this change than a young victim who escaped the horror and can tell their story. It’s not exploiting the matter. To me this is taking the life that was spared to save other lives.

There needs to be smarter checks in place regarding our gun laws. The right can stay but we need to ensure that the right is not abused costing unnecessary lives.

• Tonya Moore

01/03/2013 at 12:42 PM

"A New Haven attorney is seeking permission from the state to sue on behalf of a 6-year-old girl who he said was traumatized by what she heard over the loudspeakers at Sandy Hook Elementary School the morning of the mass shootings".

I'm sorry, but is your comment above more about what you want the lawsuit to be about? We don't know the intentions for this lawsuit from the family. The attorney hopes suits such as this would bring legislators to act to change gun control law, but this may not be EXACTLY the family's intent.

• GrandCentral

01/03/2013 at 3:28 PM

Obviously I don't know the family and am not privy to intricate details about their motive or intent. If I had a choice in what I would want to see happen, it wouldn't be this. I strongly believe that sometimes you have to go out on a ledge to invoke change, and I think this is what this family is trying to do.

01/03/2013 at 2:26 PM

I'm sorry but suing the school board who lost employees in this horrible tragedy is absolutely tasteless and angering. Those teachers gave their lives in the true sense of being heroes and now they have to face a lawsuit? Hell, why not sue the NYPD and fire department after 9/11 because they didn't react fast enough?

It's absolutely disgusting.

7. GrandCentral

01/03/2013 at 12:29 PM

I accidentally left out a line. All the parties named in this suit will not be bankrupt, because all acknowledge the issue and will pool together to bring down those blocking changes to our gun laws.