The 52-Week Pledge: Only IDIOTS Never Take Breaks [Week 18]

Before I began to write this post, I was contemplating starting off with an apology for writing so scarcely in the last few weeks. But before I could even begin typing the sentence I realized I DON’T want to apologize because I have nothing to feel sorry about. Since I began writing this blog on April 1st, 2010, I have NOT taken an extended break or time off, and seeing as I typically post between 10-15 blogs a week, and type somewhere between 5000-15,000 words a week (not to mention the podcasts, youtube vids and radio show), I think it’s safe to say I earned a vacay from writing. I always believed that you should stay on your grind 24/7, but after finally getting the opportunity to recharge my batteries and refocus myself, I realized that continual hustling with NO BREAKS is incredibly STUPID.

Here is the ORIGINAL PLEDGE POSThttp://www.thisisyourconscience.com/2012/08/tiyc-presents-the-52-week-pledge-i-challenge-you-to-get-closer-to-your-dreams/

After taking a few weeks off from blogging here, I rediscovered my passion for writing and entertaining, as well as learning how much balance actually HELPS my life. When I actually get sleep, take personal time for myself, allocate time for friends/family and NOT force myself to work all the time, I become MORE productive when I sit down to do my thing.

The fact that people constantly brag on Facebook and Twitter about getting NO sleep (which is crucial to your health and focus) has helped me to differentiate between those who THINK they are working hard and those who are actually working SMART.

But finding balance hasn’t been my big goal this week – it’s how this newfound balance has helped me focus in on my goals for 2013. We are officially in the first quarter of the new year, so what are YOUR big goals in these next three months?

Before April 1st, 2013, what is a goal that you want to accomplish? If we all state our short term goal to achieve between today and March 31st, it will be easier to help keep each other accountable week by week, and it will make our goals seem more attainable and realistic because they won’t be so far off. So let’s all state on 1st quarter goals, and if we don’t have any, let’s create some RIGHT NOW.

Keep grinding! (But take breaks too!)

01/02/2013 at 3:42 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, how would you rate your ability to stay on track with the challenge in 2012? What are your plans for 2013?

01/02/2013 at 3:44 AM

To begin, I think I had a lot of ups and downs ion 2012 with keeping focused, but ultimately I feel like I did good because I'm still going and haven't quit.

As of March 1st, 2013, I would like that to be the release date of my new book, so that's my big first quarter goal I want to achieve.

• Jesssssssssss

01/02/2013 at 11:23 AM

You are a hard working guy. Seeing all that you do and the enthusiasm that you maintain while doing it is a constant inspiration to me. You can do it all but I am glad you got some down time. You deserved it!

I know your new projects will be great.

01/02/2013 at 2:17 PM

Thanks Jess!

3. @jessicaw1981

01/02/2013 at 11:45 AM

My goal by March 31 is to have my business plan completed. Be active in the blogging community (in person) by networking and being more social in general. Also, to begin my exit plan for my 9-5. Aaaaaaannnd…. begin doing studio work and and making additional income via singing. ____Update: I've been offered an opportunity to sing on 2 projects coming up so March will actually be the deadline by which both should have begun. It's only background but a foot in the door in regards to using my talents and giftings beyond typing at a desk (where I'm not my own boss).____I took a break as well due to the holiday season and my outreach work. So I have spent the past 6 weeks with my daughter, helping the community and chillin'. And I feel great about it. I have been meeting with a writing partner to spark new material for my blog as well reaching out to other writers to see what brings forth "the amazing" for them.____o____I've missed this check in. So glad I'm back.

01/02/2013 at 2:18 PM

Well I will hold you to that goal of having your business plan completed!

• GrandCentral

01/02/2013 at 11:45 PM

Jessica I think you need to make a trip to NYC to attend the Focus100 Symposium. It's scheduled for October 4th and 5th this year. I attended last year and It was amazing. It's a little pricey, but worth it. http://www.digitalundivided.com/events/focus-100/

4. GrandCentral

01/02/2013 at 11:51 PM

I believe I can stay on track with this challenge throughout this year and beyond. All my dreams I initially shared are things that I want really bad, so bad I can taste it. So I'm pretty motivated. I'm still sorting through my 2013 agenda. I want to get this novel cracking that I've been talking about forever. I'm taking an preview creative writing course next week. Hopefully that gets me started. I should have my plans more defined in the coming weeks. Right now I am concentrating on work, getting my spiritual life back in order (2012 was the worst on record. Barely attended mass) and focused on my body.

01/03/2013 at 1:16 AM

Why did you barely attend mass?

5. GrandCentral

01/02/2013 at 11:55 PM

Oh yes, I almost forgot, big props on calling out the idiots who think not sleeping is cool. it's not! Working smart equates to working harder in my book, and gets your further in whatever it is that you are doing. I am an advocate for sleep, exercise and having a hobby or something that allows you to unwind and not really think.

01/03/2013 at 1:16 AM